• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

El'Kharn

Eppy Thatcher said:
Downloading. Even took the day off work... I will have a day of bathing in the blood of Xenos... Emprah protect!
Anyone who has it mind posting their thoughts? i'll sit here rocking my controller gently while i read lol

This game: my biggest dissapointment. Why the fuck did they add multiplayer if they would just make it like this??

STOP ADDING MULTIPLAYER AND LEAVING IT ON THE WAYSIDE.

This is karma for me saying that the MP in games like dead space 2 and assassins creed would not last...
:(

but maybe I should try Exterminatus. hmmm.

Narag

NullPointer said:
So now that its out, can you solo Exterminatus? Does it require a minimum number of players?

It's unlikely you'll be able to complete all 20 waves solo from what I saw.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, I really wish this was released on launch. I had a great time with Space Marine, but I don't feel as eager to play this now that I've had my fill of the game.

I still want to give it a shot, though, I'm down to play sometime this week if you guys want to get something together.

Narag

derFeef said:
Holy shit Exterminatus is HARD. Have not seen the third wave yet with 3 players.

I think I hit wave 9 with a group before I disconnected. Heavy bolter devastators with the armor upgrades seemed godly when I was playing.

grendelrt

Vigilant Walrus said:
This game: my biggest dissapointment. Why the fuck did they add multiplayer if they would just make it like this??

This is karma for me saying that the MP in games like dead space 2 and assassins creed would not last...

Me and my friends love the multi, very glad they added it.

Vigilant Walrus said:

You're mad.

The multiplayer in this is the most fun I have had in a multiplayer shooter in ages.

I know two people that have bought a 360 because of this game and it's multiplayer.

Can't wait to try this.

Any Aussies keen to give this a go later today? Say 5:30pm EST.

PSN: MarvelScottyB, just put "40k" in your request or something so I know its for Exterminatus.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
daedalius said:
Well, I guess hope is lost for this showing up on Xbox today.
Hey don't worry, the last update Relic gave us 10 hours ago on Twitter still says it's coming soon.

daedalius

Lyphen said:
Hey don't worry, the last update Relic gave us 10 hours ago on Twitter still says it's coming soon.

I just played a bunch of multiplayer and decided that the base movement speed of the Space Marines is far too slow, especially when aiming.

Coming off of a bunch of Reach, where I thought you couldn't really get much slower, I was kind of surprised I hadn't noticed it before.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's a heavier game, but that's what I like about it. Sucked in Reach because it broke the continuation in previous games, but here, just pure Space Marine.

Actually, I suppose I wouldn't expect a Space Marine to roll or hop as much as I so when I play Tactical or Devastator. Movement speed is slow, but they did break the fiction to give good mobility. That's something Reach doesn't do very well. Evade breaks the game, and strafing is slows movement.

daedalius said:
I just played a bunch of multiplayer and decided that the base movement speed of the Space Marines is far too slow, especially when aiming.

Coming off of a bunch of Reach, where I thought you couldn't really get much slower, I was kind of surprised I hadn't noticed it before.

I find the heavier feel of the game makes it more tactical.

Movement matters and if there were a bunch of nimrods hopping around as you find in Reach...yeah...Space Marine would not be enjoyable.

Also...you're aiming.

Have you aimed a firearm before? There's not much point in aiming unless you're moving slowly...if at all.

daedalius

bigdaddygamebot said:
I find the heavier feel of the game makes it more tactical.

Movement matters and if there were a bunch of nimrods hopping around as you find in Reach...yeah...Space Marine would not be enjoyable.

Also...you're aiming.

Have you aimed a firearm before? There's not much point in aiming unless you're moving slowly...if at all.

I'm also not a super-human Space Marine or Spartan either; with all sorts of built-in targeting programs in my super-advanced armored suit built for killing people/aliens. Having trouble with recoil or aiming while on the move sounds like something puny unaugmented humans need to worry about.

Hopping around too much usually gets you killed in Reach, but I'm not trying to draw too much comparison. I just feel the default movement speed is too slow to do much of anything other than aim down your sights and blast away; which is fine, I would just prefer some more movement. (evade for Spartans is dumb though, super annoying, and Reach strafe speed is too slow coming from Halo 3 as well) Getting jumped on for expressing a personal criticism of gameplay is cool though.

Also, Space Marines are very fast in the fiction, or at least, they can be. I imagine I have most people here beat on number of books/codex/models/etc ;)

Salazar

Reluctant-Hero said:
It's frustrating that we can't get an update from any official sources.

Yeap. I think staff movement from this project to others was pretty goddamn swift, and their communication skills were junk even when there were folks around to do it.

Notch tweeted that he likes the campaign.

daedalius

le sigh

Prior to the release of the Xbox 360 version of the Exterminatus DLC it came to our attention that there was a connectivity issue that needed to be fixed. We have taken the difficult decision to delay the title update and DLC release to repair this issue and ensure that the mode is functioning as intended when we release it. We will share a projected live date for this content on the Space Marine community site as soon as possible. http://www.spacemarine.com/forums/topic/8268

Mupod

The main sources of difficulty in exterminatus:

1. Those huge packs of little red angry orks with WAY too much hp and damage output
2. Teammates who don't stand on capture points
3. General lag and bugginess
4. Weapons that were made for PVP, not fighting piles of high health NPCs

Seems like at least one hammer-wielding Assault is a necessity, I'm not sure if you NEED killing blow or even if it's working - later wave Nobz and even regular enemies seem to be able to take 2-3 hits regardless. The 'Y, Y' (on a 360 pad) combo is incredibly effective at clearing out dogpiles of Boyz though.

I actually prefer the power axe in other modes but its damage output is just not sufficient past wave 15 or so. You get mobbed and destroyed in seconds. I bet the plasma cannon on a devastator would work great though.

But yeah, I keep running into problems with HUD indicators (for grenade/ammo pickups and capture points) disappearing mid-match. Not to mention the matchmaking sketchiness. Kinda wish they'd put in executions for this mode, or at least let us make (reduced) progress on weapon challenges. Right now I feel pigeonholed into Assault because it's the only class I have a lot of unlocks for, as it's the only thing I like playing in versus.

I mean the mode is fun but could be done a lot better. You could say 'it's free, don't complain' but this mode was a main selling point for me - I was told there would be co-op before I bought the game, just didn't know what exactly it'd be. Then again, I wasn't expecting to even touch the versus mode and I played a ton of that.

Guanoape

Neo Member
I made it to wave 19/20 on my first try, because I was lucky enough to end up in a team with people who actually knew what they were doing. The first 2 sections are definitely doable by any team, but it gets MUCH harder in stage 3 and 4. It's really easy to get overwhelmed when the Slugga Boyz (angry melee) and 'Ard Boyz (shields) start spawning, because they seemingly have a lot of HP. It's less of an issue when you just have to kill the mobs, but when you have to capture a point, it becomes really difficult. That's the reason why we gave up at wave 19, because that's when the Big Nobz start spawning. And they hurt. A lot.

It's a nice change of pace compared to the regular MP, but they really should have released it much sooner. I already made it to level 40 in the regular MP, and so I'm pretty much done with the game. It should be worthwhile for people who are just getting into the game though.

daedalius

Guanoape said:
I made it to wave 19/20 on my first try, because I was lucky enough to end up in a team with people who actually knew what they were doing. The first 2 sections are definitely doable by any team, but it gets MUCH harder in stage 3 and 4. It's really easy to get overwhelmed when the Slugga Boyz (angry melee) and 'Ard Boyz (shields) start spawning, because they seemingly have a lot of HP. It's less of an issue when you just have to kill the mobs, but when you have to capture a point, it becomes really difficult. That's the reason why we gave up at wave 19, because that's when the Big Nobz start spawning. And they hurt. A lot.

It's a nice change of pace compared to the regular MP, but they really should have released it much sooner. I already made it to level 40 in the regular MP, and so I'm pretty much done with the game. It should be worthwhile for people who are just getting into the game though.

I wonder if having Campaign coop/splitscreen and this mode right at launch would have improved their sales considerably? I'll bet quite a few people gave it a pass since it didn't have any coop functionality at launch.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What a joke. There's a known gamebreaking bug delaying the release and they couldn't have told us about the delay yesterday?

Guanoape said:

Does it come with more achievements?
I'm halfway to level 40 right now...I really can't help but feel like Exterminatus is now a day late and a dollar short.

Man...this is a real shame. The longer it is delayed...the more irritated I become with them for fucking this up and not having this on the disc at launch.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
derFeef said:
Holy shit Exterminatus is HARD. Have not seen the third wave yet with 3 players.

What? Really? I tried it yesterday for the first time and with a buddy of mine and 2 randoms we did it up to level 18 without hiccups. 18 was a goddamn bitch though. 3 points to capture and so little time.

derFeef

Des0lar said:
What? Really? I tried it yesterday for the first time and with a buddy of mine and 2 randoms we did it up to level 18 without hiccups. 18 was a goddamn bitch though. 3 points to capture and so little time.
We were all lower than level 10 I think and only three guys, so maybe that counts.

Top Bottom