• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft movie director outlines what would have happened in the trilogy

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The biggest mistake was having the first movie be about shit that most Warcraft fans didn't care about. What we got as a core plot should have been a slideshow at the beginning and then move quickly into grown-up Thrall. That three movie plan just to get to setting up Orgrimmar is way too much.

The second was spending all the budget on incredible CGI so that everything else looked like a TV movie. Garona the half-orc looked worse than cosplay.

CAB_Life

I thought it did amazingly in China and Russia? Those markets were enough to give Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters a sequel (and a tv series) ffs.

niilokin

Only watched some clips of the movie and the contrast between cgi orcs and live actor humans is too much for me, looks ridiculously stupid. Durotan and Orgrim seem like a bunch of dandies too. Didn't pretty much every orc drink the demon blood and become green in the canon? The first and second war horde fought with undead and daemons by their side too.

And that Blachand vs Lothar scene, what the fuck... Why not let Orgrim behead Blackhand for being a weak Shadow Council puppet like in the original story?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I liked the movie a lot, it was even on TV few weeks ago, the cliffhanger at the end always makes me sad that we will most likely never see the sequel :(

HE1NZ

Banned
This movie served no purpose and sequels retreading Thrall story seems even more pointless. They should have invented their own characters for it to work.

GreyHorace

I don't get why the movie was so boring. I'm no Warcraft fan (don't hate it, series just never interested me much), but a fantasy movie with knights and friggin orcs should have been an easy enough movie to make exciting. Watched it with a friend and was struggling to keep awake throughout the film because it dragged on for too long and none of the characters really stood out. A shame, since there are good actors wasted in this thing like Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper and Travis Fimmell.

Is Duncan Jones an incompetent director? I don't think so, given his track record (Moon, Source Code), so maybe it was interference from Blizzard? All I know is what could have been potentially a new series of fantasy films was wasted on one dull movie. A shame.

makaveli60

I'm not a Warcraft fan, didn't play WoW, only played through Warcraft 3, which I really liked. I also hate mixing CG with reality as the fakeness is so obvious then but for some weird reason I really liked the movie, especially the story, so I'm sad that a sequel was never made.

TheContact

I have thousands and thousands of total hours put into WoW and I haven't seen the movie. I really need to, just heard bad things about it and was turned off by it.

HE1NZ

Banned
I don't get why the movie was so boring. I'm no Warcraft fan (don't hate it, series just never interested me much), but a fantasy movie with knights and friggin orcs should have been an easy enough movie to make exciting. Watched it with a friend and was struggling to keep awake throughout the film because it dragged on for too long and none of the characters really stood out. A shame, since there are good actors wasted in this thing like Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper and Travis Fimmell.

Is Duncan Jones an incompetent director? I don't think so, given his track record (Moon, Source Code), so maybe it was interference from Blizzard? All I know is what could have been potentially a new series of fantasy films was wasted on one dull movie. A shame.
It was creatively bankrupt.

Flintty

I have thousands and thousands of total hours put into WoW and I haven't seen the movie. I really need to, just heard bad things about it and was turned off by it.
It wasn’t a bad movie, it just wasn’t the best Warcraft movie it could be. It started well but I was disappointed with the last quarter and their portrayal of Medivh. It fell down when they used artistic license instead of sticking rigidly to lore. Shit move.

GreyHorace

Having an Orc as a slave in 2020 would be suicide.

Orc Lives Matter.

:messenger_unamused:

Jokes aside, I still can't believe that Wizards of the Coast declared that Orcs and Drow are no longer evil in DnD in a show of virtue signaling. For fucks sake, I'm not that big on the DnD orcs, but the Drow were always interesting to me because of how EVIL they were. Changing to them 'not so bad dark skinned elves' completely misses their appeal to fantasy fans. This is supposed to be a secondary world of the likes Tolkien described, it doesn't need to match our world in and 1=1 comparison.

Speaking of comparisons, but doesn't anyone find it insulting that SJWs equate orcs and drow with black people? Or any other minority?

Silvawuff

I've yet to see any film adaption of a video game franchise really nail it. Even Warcraft's story is heavily convoluted and pretty much a joke at this point imo.

The Alien

Banned
Overall I thought the movie was OK. There were some pretty good fx work in there.

More specifically, as a huge fan of the movie Moon, I cant help but feel this was a pretty big step back for a promising young director (Duncan Jones).

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My wife is the biggest WoW nerd I know and she thought it was just ok. I thought it was fine too I guess. I was actually more disappointed that it wasn't full CGI with Blizzards team that has made so many stunning fmv's over the last 30 years. I would have been down for a sequel regardless. Too bad.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It was a nice movie. Could be better if the focus was Durotan rather than plot for five characters

Paasei

I liked the movie. It was good fan service with the easter eggs like the Murlocs and the meeting stone to name 2 of them.

Very well made made CGI, too

Just the story we all knew but with some minor changes to turn it into a movie for everyone that likes fantasy. Nothing special, but very entertaining nonetheless. One of the better game movies, if not the best, out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom