• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarCraft II is being remade by professional modders as a love project, based on WCIII - Reforged

Nickolaidas

Warcraft 2: Chronicles of the Second War is a fan-made reimagining - Polygon

Awesome if it ends up being completed. WarCraft II is one of my favorite RTS games and I think this has immense potential.

Note that this will take everything WC2 was and expand on it, with cutscenes, QoL stuff and the whole shebang.

UPDATE: More info here
[Campaign] - Warcraft 2 campaign (reforged) | HIVE (hiveworkshop.com)

Story will be heavy drawn from established lore in original games, World of Warcraft, Chronicles and other book series. While there
are some discrepancies when it comes to certain events and characters, we made sure to deliver a clean, straight and presentable
series of events that transpired in the second war.

Characters from the original early games will be featured in our campaign. Some will be cameos or appear in cinematics, while many
others will be playable, such as: Anduin Lothar, Turalyon, Kargath Bladefist, Grom Hellscream and many other legendary characters
from Warcraft lore who participated in the second war.

Gameplay will be greatly improved from the original game, meaning WarCraft III / Reforged style overhaul, which will include both
¨Tides of Darkness¨ and ¨Beyond the Dark Portal¨. The campaign will be story-linear driven unlike WarCraft II which depended
heavily on choosing a side and "determining the outcome of the story" as well as having cool cinematics and sidequests.

Custom Assets fitting both WarCraft II aesthetic as well as apearances from World of Warcraft will be used for units, heroes and
buildings. Meaning each Orcish Clan, Human Kingdom as well as other important faction such as Dwarves will feature many unique
models and skins. This also includes custom doodads to improve the terrain and scenery. These assets are made with attention to
their theme, for example Orcs will have Warlords of Draenor appearance, as well as the one seen in the WarCraft movie.

Techtree will of course be updated yet still keeping the feeling of to the original game. Units and heroes will have fitting abilities.
Additionally unique aspects of different factions will add a flair to the base techtree, while a completely new one will be made for
the Dwarves of Khaz Modan.

Voice Acting is important for immersion and will be featured for all characters and new Units. While our team has a mini-studio
that is suitable for a clean voice acting we are also looking for others with such setups who could contribute to the project.

Last edited:

Ivan

One of my all time favourites, but i REALLY hate that art style. You just don't mess with the perfection that W2 is. I'd take carefully redrawn graphics in the same style, but this, no way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One of my all time favourites, but i REALLY hate that art style. You just don't mess with the perfection that W2 is. I'd take carefully redrawn graphics in the same style, but this, no way.

Yeah, the art style just doesn't work for me. I wish them luck, though!

Last edited by a moderator:

CGiRanger

Banned
I don't know if they should be highlighting it's based on WC3 Remake given how badly that was received by the public.

And I agree with many about the art style, though I myself have long disliked the Joe Madureira inspired aesthetic. I'd love it if Blizzard could be rid of it one day as I feel it's no longer in style anyways.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

UPDATE: More info here
[Campaign] - Warcraft 2 campaign (reforged) | HIVE (hiveworkshop.com)

Story will be heavy drawn from established lore in original games, World of Warcraft, Chronicles and other book series. While there
are some discrepancies when it comes to certain events and characters, we made sure to deliver a clean, straight and presentable
series of events that transpired in the second war.

Characters from the original early games will be featured in our campaign. Some will be cameos or appear in cinematics, while many
others will be playable, such as: Anduin Lothar, Turalyon, Kargath Bladefist, Grom Hellscream and many other legendary characters
from Warcraft lore who participated in the second war.

Gameplay will be greatly improved from the original game, meaning WarCraft III / Reforged style overhaul, which will include both
¨Tides of Darkness¨ and ¨Beyond the Dark Portal¨. The campaign will be story-linear driven unlike WarCraft II which depended
heavily on choosing a side and "determining the outcome of the story" as well as having cool cinematics and sidequests.

Custom Assets fitting both WarCraft II aesthetic as well as apearances from World of Warcraft will be used for units, heroes and
buildings. Meaning each Orcish Clan, Human Kingdom as well as other important faction such as Dwarves will feature many unique
models and skins. This also includes custom doodads to improve the terrain and scenery. These assets are made with attention to
their theme, for example Orcs will have Warlords of Draenor appearance, as well as the one seen in the WarCraft movie.

Techtree will of course be updated yet still keeping the feeling of to the original game. Units and heroes will have fitting abilities.
Additionally unique aspects of different factions will add a flair to the base techtree, while a completely new one will be made for
the Dwarves of Khaz Modan.

Voice Acting is important for immersion and will be featured for all characters and new Units. While our team has a mini-studio
that is suitable for a clean voice acting we are also looking for others with such setups who could contribute to the project.

Gp1

Why someone would mess with Reforged editor, after the TOS explicitly saying that Blizzard is the owner of everything you do in it, is beyond me.

But good luck... i guess

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
I hope they know that Blizzard claims legal ownership over any mod implemented on Warcraft 3 Reforged.

I was going to say "this will be DMCA'd in a day", but thinking about it more I'm torn between that and Blizzard just taking away their work and finding some twisted way to monetize it.

Did they ever improve W3 Reforged from trash into something decent?
Why someone would mess with Reforged editor, after the TOS explicitly saying that Blizzard is the owner of everything you do in it, is beyond me.
Now I ain't no fancy city lawyer but seems to me Blizzard probably would still own Warcraft 2 even if they tried to remake with non-Blizzard tools.

Maybe they're less likely to eat a cease and desist if they're just doing it inside Warcraft 3.

Top Bottom