• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Movies and TV Shows

Liljagare

Been missing my friday night war movies, running out of them, making a thread so we can recommend lesser seen but good movies, or, good war movies.

I like theese movies because they are mostly done in original languages with subtitles, whic probarly means alot of people haven't seen them, but they are really good, they probarly haven't gotten the exposure they deserve. Other big movies everyone should see are Fury, Pearl Harbour, Saving Private Ryan, Das Boot, Full Metal Jacket, Deer Hunter (Christopher Walkens best role), Apocalypse Now, Enemy at the Gates, 1917 , Dunkirk (you really need a GOOD sound system to fully enjoy this movie imho, the sound production is 40% of the film), A Bridge Too far.

The Captain, boy this was good, the ending is rather interesting, you really should watch this if you haven't seen it:

The cast walks around modern day Germany, asking people for their papers, the reactions are really interesting.

Die Untergang, Hilters last days:

Two russian WW2 movies, interesting *because* of the propaganda in them, but, especially T-42 has pretty good production value.

White Tiger:

T-34 - If Michael Bay made a tank movie.

The 12th man, a norwegian, extremely well made move, horrid, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers does a excellent job at his role (guy from The Tudors, which you should also see btw, if you haven't). In German/Norwegian.

The man with the iron heart, another excellent movie portraying one of the most evil being ever born, who possibly would have taken over after Hitler, Reinhard Heydrich, all in english:

The Resistance, interesting story, in english:

Stalingrad 1993, a antiwar movie that depicts the horrible situation the developed when the German army behaved like morons, and Hitler refused to see what was coming:

Come and see, this movie is probarly one of the most rememberable movies, it depicts how people suffer when seeing the horror of wars. The director used live ammo in some scenes to up the ante'

Last edited:

Last edited:

Gp1

Now we are talking...

The captain epilogue is brilliant

i'll put some suggestions

The only good movie that MB did.

The "other" mel gibson war movie (that and Gallipoli)

The other Miazaki war movie (with Grave of fireflies).

The Dutch "Master and Commanders" ("The admiral" or "Michiel de Ruyter")

Drone bitches

Bradpits war

And the most beautiful movie of all times that in no way is underrated or underhyped...

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dunkirk was really great

I enjoyed Midway last year as well

of course the classics are always great.

I have a soft spot for 60s war movies like Kelly’s Heroes and Where Eagles Dare

also Play Dirty with Michael Caine

uh... trigger warning for that last trailer. The 60s were a different time

Last edited:

Corderlain

Banned
Hot take I don't think there's been an incredible war moving in the last decade. Maybe Fury and dunkirk. Still need to see 1917

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Some more gems..
A Midnight Clear.
Brilliant "little" war movie. Well worth a watch.

The Odd Angry Shot
An Australian take on the Vietnam War. Sort of a MASH style black comedy in places. Give it a go if you fancy a different viewpoint on Cinema's second favourite war :)

Hell In The Pacific
One of John Boorman's finest. Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune...what's not to like! Think I may fire this up on the Blu-ray player tonight, thanks to this thread!

Everyone needs to watch The Desert Fox too, absolute classic.

Last edited:
Probably my favorite War movie, and there are maybe 5mins of actual combat. I have mad respect for this german director to release a movie like this.

image.jpg

Liljagare

Oh, thanks, got a few to watch from the thread, that admiral movie looks dope!

The Beast (also known as The Beast of War) is a 1988 American war film directed by Kevin Reynolds and written by William Mastrosimone, based on his play Nanawatai. The film follows the crew of a Soviet T-55 tank who became lost during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. They put a guy.. oh, won't spoil. :p

teezzy

Banned
Maybe my biggest cinematic blindspot. I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to war movies. There's so many must-see flicks too.

With that said, I'm just going to throw the trailer for Good Morning Vietnam in here because it likely won't get mentioned otherwise, and that would be shameful.

Gp1

Maybe my biggest cinematic blindspot. I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to war movies. There's so many must-see flicks too.

With that said, I'm just going to throw the trailer for Good Morning Vietnam in here because it likely won't get mentioned otherwise, and that would be shameful.

Saw this (again) just yesterday. Robin Willians is a genius.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Saw this (again) just yesterday. Robin Willians is a genius.

I was lucky enough to catch a film screening of it at a local independent theater here in Detroit a few years back. They did a double feature with both this and Dead Poets Society. I was fortunate enough to attend both.

What stood out about Good Morning Vietnam to me was that it's not exactly screwball comedy it's often remembered as/was marketed as. There's some very tense and dramatic moments throughout the film. So well done, ultimately.

Airola

Casualties of War is one of my all time favorite movies. Haven't seen it in ages though but it was the first movie that made me cry, I was about 12 then.

I think a lot of the greats are already covered here and some I've never heard of that I definitely want to check out now. The Captain looks really interesting.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed 1917 though. Especially after Dunkirk was a bit of a letdown.

I finally watched 13 hours last night and it was really good! I was kind of surprised. Fucking Ben Ghazi.

I'll toss in..

Flight of the Intruder..

I loved this movie as a kid, it was a nice pairing with Top Gun/Iron Eagle/etc.

Last edited:
I grew up watching this movie, quite a tearjerker, but also surprisingly warm and humorous:

One of my favs, fearmongering it may be but who cares? Intense as they come, don't watch the remake:

No war movie list is complete without:

From my Korean binging days, a hilarious comedy:

From the director of Oldboy himself:

More recent, ultra sobering Euro pre/post war films:

Black Hawk Down meets Mad Max Fury Road. Hilarious CCP propaganda bs, but insane action:

EDIT: How could I forget. Should be watched back to back with Saving Private Ryan:

Last edited:
A dark and weird post war noir movie thats directly tied to the war

Semi autobiographical story by JG Ballard which is just as otherworldy as his other writing
its a pretty well done adaption

Prob one of the greatest films ever made, in my top 3, but you need patience and time, such an interesting and poetic human being

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I personally like this one, it is quite realistic and is about the Czech volunteers in Britain during WW2. Very personal and tragic, especially how they were all imprisoned by the communist regime once they came back home.

MV5BODk0YjZlYjgtNTM2Mi00YzM0LTkzMTItOGI5YjYzZTg2Zjk3L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_.jpg

Liljagare

Rewatched some Swedish ones, about Arn De Gothia, excellent movies, with ok trailers.. :p

The memorable moment of this movie was of Saladin. Saladin came suddenly like a dream, rising above the crusaders like Jesus in the desert. The most intriguing character in the story by far.

Arn The Knight Templar

The second one is even better, but incredibly hard to find with subtitles for some reason:

Arn - The Kingdom at the end of the road

Liljagare

Ventured into Asian movies:

Yamato - who hasn't heard of the sinking of this ship? Unfortunately, it's not very good, but interesting to watch this modern try on propaganda imho. (You should really watch Sink The Bismark! instead, 1960 movie, black and white, available on youtube).

Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan - this one was really good, it's about the young Temujin, it's available with english subs on youtube.

Kamikaze - "some" propaganda I must say, but a interesting view into the whole idea about the Kamikaze pilots.

Red Cliff - John Woo - This is a action, but interesting story about a battle I never heard about, can't go wrong with John Woo.

Uknown Soldier (2017) - Did see a excellent film that is hard to find with english subs, Uknown Soldier - a finnish movie about the front in Finland during WW2 and a legend. Really well shot and high producation value.

Two interesting ones about Denmark and WW2:

April 9th - Germany invades Denmark, a close up and personal movie with the Danes bicycle troops meeting the German invasion.

Land of Mine - the aftermath in 1945, german POW's are forced to clear the mines off beaches, mines they put there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
How's 1917 as a movie? I know it's got the great one-shot gimmick but how is it apart from that? Good characters and acting? Good action?

Liljagare

Rewatched both, saw that Letter from Iwo Jima has been posted, it's a sister movie to Flags of our fathers, both are pretty good, and should be watched one after the other. Some really sad fates in theese two.. :eek:

Top Bottom