• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: New Executive Orders Floating Around Would Further Restrict Immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zereta

I graduate in a year and a half. I guess at that point no one's gonna want to/be able to sponsor a work visa for me.

Trump might literally ruin my future.

Kas

Day by day, Eastern Europe is looking better and better. Good thing I'm getting my passport soon.

darkwing

I graduate in a year and a half. I guess at that point no one's gonna want to/be able to sponsor a work visa for me.

Trump might literally ruin my future.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump later on makes it harder for non US citizens to get a job, because you know, America First

kswiston

Depends on the school, obviously, but I would say they're decent. An old friend of mine just got tenure not too long ago at Waterloo University in their math department.

It's harder to get a tenure track position in Canada than it is in the United States. Even shitty schools will get dozens of competitive applications for every position (and sometimes hundreds of applications in total). The number of PhD degrees being granted has exploded, but the demand for professors hasn't really changed.

EDIT: There's also only 98 4-year degree granting schools in the entire country.

Shoeless

It's harder to get a tenure track position in Canada than it is in the United States. Even shitty schools will get dozens of competitive applications for every position (and sometimes hundreds of applications in total). The number of PhD degrees being granted has exploded, but the demand for professors hasn't really changed.

I'll defer to your knowledge on this, I'm not in the academic field myself, I can only go by what my friends who are still involved have told me.

Valhelm

contribute something
Haven't seen anybody mention this, but this kind of policy would have enormous ramifications on the Cuban American community, which could really fuck the Republicans long-term. Because so many dependent immigrants are elderly, this program could involve rounding up Abuelas and deporting them to Cuba. Even among hard-right Hispanic Republicans, this would not go over well.

Shoeless

Haven't seen anybody mention this, but this kind of policy would have enormous ramifications on the Cuban American community, which could really fuck the Republicans long-term. Because so many dependent immigrants are elderly, this program could involve rounding up Abuelas and deporting them to Cuba. Even among hard-right Hispanic Republicans, this would not go over well.

I think it's becoming kind of clear that Republicanism is not just a matter of political ideology, but of race as well. Just give it a few years, and you'll have to have the right DNA and skin color to be considered a Republican.

we're looking at an era where the white supremacy has gone from being a marketing tool for economic deregulation and slashing social programs, to being the goal itself. bannon doesn't give a damn if he costs some dudes in florida their house seats if he gets to treat people who aren't white like shit.

I will wait until he passes more bullshit before I freak out about it. I'm still fighting the current bullshit.

But, if he is going to build a wall, that does nothing to stem everyone who is here illegally because they came here legally and stayed past their visa.

So of course he is going to do bullshit like this.

Hopefully I have more money to give the ACLU when he signs this shit into law.

I would definitely like to know what my chances of working as a web dev in the USA will be in a few years given enough experience. I want to live in the US at least for a while, political climate be damned. It's pretty bad where I live too, so I'm used to that shit now

What does "immigrants already in the United States who depend on taxpayer help" mean?

Does it apply to both legal and illegal immigrants? Green Card, visa?

And what constitutes "depending on taxpayer help"?

What does "immigrants already in the United States who depend on taxpayer help" mean?

Does it apply to both legal and illegal immigrants? Green Card, visa?

And what constitutes "depending on taxpayer help"?
That part sure sounds like it would be focused on legal immigrants. You'd expect they'd not be stupid enough to go after green card holders again, but who knows how many times we will have to teach them that lesson.

Trump would say 'illegals' as shorthand for illegal immigrants and he's going to try to deport them whether they work or not. You can't get help from many federal programs if you are undocumented so it's clear enough.

kmfdmpig

Might as well melt the Statue of Liberty down and sink Ellis Island while he's at it. Those symbols are not worth anything anymore. Fuck Trump and those that enable/support him.

hmm based on how things are shaping up I may have to sit America out for the foreseeable future, even before the fat orange cunt I couldn't really say I liked it there all that much anyway, but I have family that I also need to visit.

Lemaitre

Banned
Someone within the White House leaked the draft executive orders to the Washington Post as they have actually published the draft executive orders in full: https://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/national/draft-executive-orders-on-immigration/2315/

I'm either way too tired or not a very good reader but could someone clarify Section 3 (a) (iii); is it stating that a legal immigrant could be deported for using "public" funds if they obtained these benefits in the first five years of entry?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Someone please clarify here.

Will be interested to see if the final draft is more or less stringent.

UberTag

Perusing these orders tells me there are a zillion different avenues for subjective enforcement to deport just about anybody... provided they're not white and Christian... that will undoubtedly be abused without remorse.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
People repeating Trump's pety insults because "hur hur funny" are part of what got hm elected you know. You hear it enough, it sticks in your head.

I seriously doubt my using Trump's use of Lyin Ted after the election to point out the shitshow that is the Trump admin and Ted Cruz falling in line with said shit show did anything to get Trump elected, bit please continue.

faisal233

I'm either way too tired or not a very good reader but could someone clarify Section 3 (a) (iii); is it stating that a legal immigrant could be deported for using "public" funds if they obtained these benefits in the first five years of entry?

Welfare, Medicaid, etc.

Eligibility for GC holders is dictated by states. Most red states (at least Louisiana) already deny everything, except for maybe little kids. Blue states are more generous.

So basically as a GC holder, you are at the states mercy if you need help. Trump wants to punish anyone who applies for these benefits in states that allow them. I'm not sure how they are going to get the states to comply on sharing data to find these people with an EO.

On a scarier note, they'll probably include ACA subsidies to "public funds."

Alucard725

Neo Member
This orange fucker and his Nazi thugs. Even if he's defeated we still have his white nationalist base to deal with for another generation.

Lemaitre

Banned
Welfare, Medicaid, etc.

Eligibility for GC holders is dictated by states. Most red states (at least Louisiana) already deny everything, except for maybe little kids. Blue states are more generous.

So basically as a GC holder, you are at the states mercy if you need help. Trump wants to punish anyone who applies for these benefits in states that allow them. I'm not sure how they are going to get the states to comply on sharing data to find these people with an EO.

On a scarier note, they'll probably include ACA subsidies to "public funds."

First five years of entry though right?

Not that the final draft would keep that aspect.

Ourobolus

Banned
(3) directing the Commissioner of Social Security to issue a report on the impact of low-skilled foreign workers on the Social Security Trust Fund's long-term solvency

ok, someone spell this one out for me - how do foreign workers have anything to do with SS, other than paying taxes into SS (which can be waived by the States, AFAIK)?

faisal233

First five years of entry though right?

Not that the final draft would keep that aspect.

You can become a citizen after 5. I remember my dad wouldn't touch any public assistance because he thought we would get kicked out as GC holders in 98 (not sure if it was true). Worked 12 hours every day to put food on the table as a single parent and we never had any kind of health coverage.

what's the endgame here?

all the poor immigrants flock to blue states?

federal taxes aren't going away, so that just siphons more money away from blue states if they have to pay for public programs from state taxes

meanwhile, all trump's "job creation" programs (translation: federal subsidies) are going to be in the states that voted for him "bigly"

extra credit: trump voters get to "cleanse" their states of poorer foreigners by making living there unaffordable

basically a convoluted wealth redistribution plan?

side effect: the country gets even more polarized

KSweeley

As a naturalized U.S. citizen receiving Social Security Disability which is currently my only source of income from being unemployed for six years now, this has me very worried and scared that I could be targeted by the Trump Administration for potential deportation to a country that I've never lived in and wouldn't know the native language or culture at all as I've lived all of my life in the U.S.

I'm struggling trying to find employment right now, the job market is still pretty shitty where I live and it's truly a struggle.

darkwing

this is what I understand, just crazy, those can be subject to abuse, hopefully it is just a draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom