• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanting to start collecting...

MacReady13

OK so as some of you may or may NOT know, I'm not exactly brimming with excitement at gaming today. I fucking loath Game Pass. I hate streaming and sub services and would much prefer gaming to go back to the old days. Yes, old man yelling at clouds and all that bullshit but whatever. Gaming was NEVER better than in the days of the SNES vs Mega Drive/Genesis days. It was a proper gaming war and games back then were all about gameplay and not half finished games released early with massive patches to fix things (not saying all games were perfect at release but you get my drift). They also weren't all about pushing a fucking agenda and, as such, we had FAR better games that have stood the test of time.

Now that i've gotten that off my chest, I want to start a retro collection of games. I am very fond of the 16 bit era, and in particular the SNES and Mega Drive here in Australia. I want to start a collection of both consoles but really, apart from Ebay I have zero ideas where to start. What are good prices? Is everything legit or a reproduction cart? Preferably I'd love boxed games but if they comes just as cartridge only then that is ok. My plan is to collect the entire collection of USA SNES and Genesis games (mainly for the fact the ran in NTSC and not PAL). Is it feasible here in Oz? Am I wasting money trying to do that and should I just try collecting the Aussie versions? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck at the moment as to where to start!

Kilau

Gold Member
I don't collect but folks here and maybe over at https://www.retrogameboards.com/ might be able to help you, some of old RetroGAF there.

It's a daunting and expensive task you want to undertake, hopefully you have deep pockets. The retro market is completely insane right now, if you haven't seen this thread and video retro fuckery you should check it out.

nush

Gold Member
Going from zero to a full set for two systems is just not worth it. All That money wasted on sports games and shitty licensed game will sure wake you up to the reality of the golden age of gaming.

MacReady13

sports games and shitty licensed game will sure wake you up to the reality of the golden age of gaming.
Slight dig but fair enough. I'd rather play any number of shitty licensed games and sports games than have to put up with the shit being shoveled out today. Granted, there are plenty of quality games, but I opine for the days when gaming actually meant something, as opposed to today when gaming is someone's voice for an agenda. It's why I don't watch as much films today... There is a way to get across your point of view without making it so blatantly obvious as to ruin a product (see the brilliant film They Live for a perfect example).

nush

Gold Member
Slight dig but fair enough. I'd rather play any number of shitty licensed games and sports games than have to put up with the shit being shoveled out today. Granted, there are plenty of quality games, but I opine for the days when gaming actually meant something, as opposed to today when gaming is someone's voice for an agenda. It's why I don't watch as much films today... There is a way to get across your point of view without making it so blatantly obvious as to ruin a product (see the brilliant film They Live for a perfect example).

Wasn't intended as a dig at all, just that complete collections have a lot of dross in them. You're better off with a curated collection.

Reactions: TLZ
Honestly I don't really get the point, and these days it's going to cost you an absolutely insane amount of money.

I am 100% for playing games on real hardware though - so instead why not just get an Everdrive or equivalent and play ROMs with real hardware. That way you get best of both worlds, and even then have access to translation patched games.

BlackTron

Can't you just get a SNES mini and put a bunch of roms on it? I mean, come on. That's so much money, effort, space and mediocre games.

I've got about 60 of my most top level NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 games, and that's enough to scratch my retro collecting itch without going to the twilight zone and hunting down every last physical game for each system, which I could easily just play on my PC or use an Everdrive...

ReBurn

Gold Member
The thing is that once you start playing the golden age of video games you start to see how much 95% of it sucked.

MacReady13

Can't you just get a SNES mini and put a bunch of roms on it? I mean, come on. That's so much money, effort, space and mediocre games.

I've got about 60 of my most top level NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 games, and that's enough to scratch my retro collecting itch without going to the twilight zone and hunting down every last physical game for each system, which I could easily just play on my PC or use an Everdrive...
I've thought about that. Possibly even not collect every game but like was mentioned earlier a curated selection of maybe the best 50 games on each. Either way I just want the proper experience and the authentic experience.

Reactions: TLZ

MacReady13

The thing is that once you start playing the golden age of video games you start to see how much 95% of it sucked.
So a little better than today? I'm quite confident in saying I would get 10 times the enjoyment out of a SNES than I would my PS4/Xbox One. Horses for course I suppose, but that was my fav gen of gaming. I love the 2D side scrollers. I get very excited when they are released today as they seem to focus on gameplay over bullshit stories in games.

BlackTron

I've thought about that. Possibly even not collect every game but like was mentioned earlier a curated selection of maybe the best 50 games on each. Either way I just want the proper experience and the authentic experience.

If the authentic experience is that big a deal, use real hardware with an Everdrive and still have all the games you want, even the ones that would have cost hundreds of dollars.

Have at least a few of the most iconic games on each system. When you start to feel unclean from seeing that everdrive in there for too long, pop in Sonic 1 or Super Mario World and problem solved!

Personally, I'm okay with real hardware for the games I own and just using SNES Mini or PC to play anything else I might want to try. Let's be practical here, it's good enough.

TLZ

Banned
Does it have to be US versions? If not, try Gumtree. You might find retro ads on there. Other than eBay of course. Also Gamesmen. They have a nice area for retro stuff only. These days though we cannot visit the shop because of the lockdown. That's if you're in NSW. Check them out online.

Top Bottom