• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to play Ninja Gaiden, don't know where to start

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Title refers to the 3D games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, it goes like this for the first game:
  • Ninja Gaiden.
  • Ninja Gaiden Black, which is the same game but with additional stuff.
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma, which is Black but with additional stuff but also some changes to the core gameplay and the visual aspects (bloom up the ass, apparently, which was the style at the time).
Which has me wondering, which one should I try to play? I've always heard that Black is the better one, but since I don't have an Xbox playing that one is going to be complicated.
So I wanted to ask you fine people at GAF: does it really matter? will I miss on the true experience if I don't play Black? or is it perfectly fine to go Sigma?

Also, what about the sequels? And finally... any bros here have any experience with the Master Collection on PC? Looks like a shit port but some people claim it got fixed.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah I get that, but... are Sigma and Black really that much different from one another? Because some people on the internet make it look like Black's the shit while Sigma is... just shit.

Aion002

Quality wise:

Black>2>>>Sigma 1>Sigma 2>>>>>>>Razors Edge>>>>>>>>>>>>>don't do this to yourself>>>3.

The Sigma versions have some issues (downgrades/changes) compared to the originals, but also have new content (coop and other playable characters).

Razors Edge is terrible, but fixed many things from 3...

3 is trash.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yeah I get that, but... are Sigma and Black really that much different from one another? Because some people on the internet make it look like Black's the shit while Sigma is... just shit.
Sigma has all the content, but Black has no censorship, also in Black the menus and sound effects are cooler.

The only thing I don't like about Sigma is the Menu and some sounds or voices that change, but the 2 katanas and the fact that you face new enemies are nice additions.

TintoConCasera

Sigma has all the content, but Black has no censorship, also in Black the menus and sound effects are cooler.

The only thing I don't like about Sigma is the Menu and some sounds or voices that change, but the 2 katanas and the fact that you face new enemies are nice additions.
Sounds like stuff that can (and actually has been) modded back to it's original form on PC.

So... no differences on the actual gameplay/combat mechanics? It isn't easier nor anything like that?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ninja Gaiden Black
then
Ninja Gaiden II (vanilla)
then
Go back to either game and improve your skills/scores.
then
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge (Just to be a completionist but not necessary)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Sounds like stuff that can (and actually has been) modded back to it's original form on PC.

So... no differences on the actual gameplay/combat mechanics? It isn't easier nor anything like that?
As for difficulty, I'm feel the same, both are the same, I didn't find the Sigma version easier.

Although you can face an extra Boss.

Last edited:

Gaiff

If you have an Xbox One/X/SS/SX, you can basically play their remastered version. I believe NGB runs at 4K/60 on X1X or something. Not sure. Same for II or it could be a lower resolution but the fps is rock-solid.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

I always think of this when Ninja Gaiden is mentioned.

You won't believe me, but playing them on hard difficulty, they don't seem so complicated to me, it's just a matter of knowing when to perform the obliteration techniques.

And I agree, Ninja Gaiden 3 I did not like the gameplay and because of how tedious it is to perform combos and the obliteration techniques, they are very ordinary, in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 they are very cool, especially the kusarigama, Lunar and the Vigoorian flail

TintoConCasera

As for difficulty, I'm sorry, both are the same, I didn't find the Sigma version easier.

Although you can face an extra Boss.
Don't be sorry, I was worried about Sigma being easier than Black. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I always think of this when Ninja Gaiden is mentioned.

Looks comfy and fun. :lollipop_content:

Master Collection is free on Game Pass console and PC if you want a cheap way of trying them out
Thanks for the heads up! I should really make an habit of chekcing on Gamepass more often.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

Sigma is definitely easier. And just shittier over all, it's a complete rework so they made a lot of little changes, like altering boss mechanics/weaknesses (for the worse)
They also removed some content like cutscenes and the chapters you play as rachel.
Also sigma needs to load every time you open a chest for some reason...
It's prettier and being able to use items is nice, but that's where all the pros end.

NG, NG hurricane pack 2 and NG Black are all superior.
NG3:RE is also much better than either sigma games, don't even bother with vanilla NG3, its just trash all around
Which is hilarious because sigmas and ng3 were all done by the new guy (hayashi) trying to shit on itagaki, it took another new guy to actually fix all the damage done by hayashi. It's also this new new guy who's in charge of the upcoming wo long, so it's in good hands.

CamHostage

I know you said you're here for the 3D games, but start from the beginning...

kTTdMm6.jpg

TintoConCasera

Never thought I said this, but maybe it's time to get an Xbox. :goog_relieved:

I know you said you're here for the 3D games, but start from the beginning...

kTTdMm6.jpg
Do all three nes games first … then stop there. 😁
Already did! Wasn't able to beat them, but got some fun while trying.

Also remember playing the NDS one, Dragon Sword, and I remember it being a fun and challenging game.

clarky

Gold Member
The ideal setup is to play Black, then vanilla NG2. That said, if you don't have an Xbox, then the Master Collection is a fine option. I would get it on PC because of mods.
Solid advice right here. close thread, prepare to get your ass kicked,enjoy!

Kacho

Gold Member
Yo Tinto, I know you don't Xbox but that's really where you want to play these. You can also grab the DOA series among other gems. Not a horrible investment but ymmv.

You can grab the collection on Steam but only at a deep discount IMO.

TintoConCasera

Yo Tinto, I know you don't Xbox but that's really where you want to play these. You can also grab the DOA series among other gems. Not a horrible investment but ymmv.

You can grab the collection on Steam but only at a deep discount IMO.
I'll take the chance to ask: how's back compatibility and older games accessibility in the Series S? I wouldn't mind getting one of those at some point just to be able to play all the classics that I never could and that MS for some reason refuses to port to PC.

Games like Gears 2 and 3, Lost Odyssey and probably some more.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, it goes like this for the first game:
  • Ninja Gaiden.
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma, which is Black but with additional stuff but also some changes to the core gameplay and the visual aspects (bloom up the ass, apparently, which was the style at the time).
Which has me wondering, which one should I try to play? I've always heard that Black is the better one, but since I don't have an Xbox playing that one is going to be complicated.
So I wanted to ask you fine people at GAF: does it really matter? will I miss on the true experience if I don't play Black? or is it perfectly fine to go Sigma?

Also, what about the sequels? And finally... any bros here have any experience with the Master Collection on PC? Looks like a shit port but some people claim it got fixed.
VYFzorG.jpg
kbua2sW.png

• Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox 1 original release version)
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 (360 original release version)

Both are for sale on Xbox digitally and worth every penny. Do not accept any substitutes. YES IT MATTERS.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I'll take the chance to ask: how's back compatibility and older games accessibility in the Series S? I wouldn't mind getting one of those at some point just to be able to play all the classics that I never could and that MS for some reason refuses to port to PC.

Asura’s Wrath, Breakdown, Red Dead Redemption, the list goes on. Tons of good shit to go through if you missed out.

Not 100% on Series S but I think it runs BC games without the fancy enhancements. It could vary game by game though. Riky Riky is your man for that stuff. I have the X and don’t worry about the compromises.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I'll take the chance to ask: how's back compatibility and older games accessibility in the Series S?
You mean in general? It's no different from the x in terms of compatibility, I think there's just resolution differences; most games that are BC work flawlessly, heck playing NG2 on the series is like actually playing the intended version because NG2 had a bunch of slowdowns in places/lots of action (notorious staircase battle running almost in slomo at time, like it actually drops to ~20 fps), but it's perfectly smooth on series consoles.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

I can give you a list of everything I bought for BC. Almost all of it went to $5 so I just started collecting. It's not a comprehensive list but it's a lot. Some of the greats aren't available digitally anymore.

TintoConCasera

Sounds like I might be getting a Series console, lol.

Thanks bros. I'll look at all the games I might have missed and consider the decision. Will probably go with a Series S and hook it to a CRT.

I can give you a list of everything I bought for BC. Almost all of it went to $5 so I just started collecting. It's not a comprehensive list but it's a lot. Some of the greats aren't available digitally anymore.
That'd be appreciated! But don't bother if you think that might take you a lot of time. :)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Replay Black and 2 vanilla before going into Razer’s Edge. You’ll probably go back anyway after you get to Razer’s Edge.

I was so thrilled when Black came to the XB Marketplace. You can hunt down a copy of 2 on 360 and it’ll run on XB. It was $9.99 for Black and you can check online for a cheap copy of NG2. Same goes for RE. All work on XBO.

Riky

$MSFT

You get a 2x2 resolution improvement, so 720p becomes 1440p on Series S, you get a 3x improvement on original Xbox games. You also get Vsync and more stable performance due to the CPU.
For Xbox One games you get the One S versions which run better on Series S if the game has DRS and the option of FPS boost up to 120fps for some games. You also get the option to run at 120hz for all games helping with frame times.
You don't get the Xbox One X enhancements.
So overall for the 360 games you mention it's very good.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sounds like I might be getting a Series console, lol.

Thanks bros. I'll look at all the games I might have missed and consider the decision. Will probably go with a Series S and hook it to a CRT.

That'd be appreciated! But don't bother if you think that might take you a lot of time. :)
The digital BC stuff has been kind of a hidden gold rush for those aware of it. A lot of these mysteriously disappear and are no longer listed. But if you purchase them digitally, then you have the ability to download it. I got Prince of Persia (2008) and Soul Calibur II HD off the Xbox store and they were delisted a few months later. Literally some of my favorite games. Crazy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Best way to play it is on a Xbox One X or Series X. Black and 2 are both better than the Sigma versions, Black > Sigma by a little, 2 > Sigma 2 by a lot. Sigma 1 is perfectly good but Sigma 2 is not. That said, on XOX/XSX, you get really nice enhancements for both games. Both run at a much higher resolution and 60fps. By far the best way to play.

Don’t bother with 3 in any form, just pretend it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Go the Master Ninja route. Get an Xbox Series X and get complete boxed copies of Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2.

I played the various versions back to back and I think that Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is a great investment for access to Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. Ninja Gaiden 2 for Xbox 360 is recommended as a separate purchase.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma changes ninja dismemberment effects to purple smoke (fixable with PC mods), dilutes enemies present in many levels, alters weapons collected in areas, streamlines projectile weapons to two, removes interesting environmental interactions in levels, cuts out a boss, limits Ryu to tiny rock for other boss battle, removes survival challenges, adds a returning boss, adds a greatsword weapon, adds homing auto lock-on to manual aim, adds three playable female characters with their own chapters, adds chapter select, adds survival runs, and adds co-op mission mode. It is not the best way to experience Ninja Gaiden 2, but fun to tackle extra content.

I recommend Ninja Gaiden Sigma over Ninja Gaiden Black or the 2004 version (but all versions have very low resolution FMV sequences). It allows you to shoot the bow while jumping, to run on water automatically, to move the camera around without triggering first person view, adds a reticle for manual aiming, features a lot more key access points (to save at Dragon Statues and to purchase from Muramasa Statues), an opportunity to take on the big bad right away, easier access to hard difficulty (which alters enemies in all versions to make the game more memorable), adds Rachel as a playable character for several chapters, adds dual ninja swords weapon, and looks infinitely better with characters and areas beautifully remodeled and retextured. It strangely streamlines an item puzzle in a small pyramid to a single room with several tough enemies, alters an underwhelming underwater chapter (adds traps, removes several key items, and simplifies swimming areas), adds water to a trapped puzzle room in an underground Egyptian temple, removes a shortcut in the city, and removes generic door switches throughout. However, the rest of the changes made will likely give you way more enjoyment and convenience.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Quality wise:

Black>2>>>Sigma 1>Sigma 2>>>>>>>Razors Edge>>>>>>>>>>>>>don't do this to yourself>>>3.

The Sigma versions have some issues (downgrades/changes) compared to the originals, but also have new content (coop and other playable characters).

Razors Edge is terrible, but fixed many things from 3...

3 is trash.
Great recommendations, I’d only change Sigma 2 to before Sigma 1.

I don't know about that. The adventure aspect of Black/Sigma 1 is very underrated even if the mechanics and pace of NG2 are superior. I have played through the first title a lot more times as there is so much more to discover. For me:

NGS > NG2 > NGB > NG3RE > NGS2 > NG3

Last edited:

stn

NeverYouMind NeverYouMind You can move the camera in Black without triggering first-person. If you click the right thumbstick, it switches between a first-person and third-person camera. The camera works almost as well as it would in any typical third-person game.

Unless you mean something different?

It triggers first person by default every time the game is loaded up, which is enough to get hit unintentionally. Also, the third person camera is slow and horizontally inverted unlike in the Sigma version.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

• Ninja Gaiden.

You should play Black, but Sigma 1 is a perfectly fine alternative. Some people even prefer it.

Sigma 2 is the one that is heavily criticized, and for good reason. Its not a bad game but it fundamentally changes too much of the original experience.

Top Bottom