• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart sells games for $10 cheaper (In store only)?

dolabla

So I just noticed recently Walmart has been selling new release $59 and now $69 next gen games for $10 cheaper. I bought the new Yakuza last night for $49. They had the new Call of Duty for next gen at $59. At first I thought it was some type of sale when I saw it a few weeks back, but nah it isn't. Other games were cheaper as well like the PS5 version of Mortal Kombat 11.

Blond

Banned
Yep. It’s been their way of trying to get people in store, bought Mafia Definitive edition on launch day for 30 bucks! That being said, Walmart doing that still makes me *almost* regret buying the all digital.

Almost.

Cause it’s Walmart.

NickFire

I would guess its a combination of traditional loss leader business practices, and being cheaper than packing up and shipping back to a warehouse for further shipping.

Hawk269

I was in Walmart the other day picking up the Steelseries Actics7x for my PS5/Series X and they had many games anywhere from 8-10 bucks cheaper. Planet Coaster on PS4/PS5 was $41.99, everywhere else it is $49.99. They also had some other games about $10.00 cheaper on average.

Zimmy68

They have been doing this at least a year and I'm surprised people are just picking up on it now.
The first one I recall was COD Modern Warfare for $49 last year.
It is not every game and of course no digital discount.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

I noticed this too last week --- several PS5 and XBOX Series launch games were reduced by $10 off their suggestive retail price of $59/$69, and I did see Black Ops Cold War for $59 on PS5 and XBOX Series, and I think Demon Souls PS5 was $59 as opposed to $69 everywhere else.

Last edited:
Not all games though, I guess some suppliers/pubs restrict it or something. Sony games for example don’t seem to get the discount here. But other games like CoD will. I think EA games also don’t do it. Ubisoft games do. It’s like backwards of how you’d think it would be.

They do it on Switch games as well. I've been getting physical Switch games for my kids to share a little easier and the Wal-Mart pricing makes that a way better deal.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yes. i was planning on doing that. but then target gave me a discount so i got demon souls, ac valhalla and spiderman for $160 including tax.

You guys know you can just do pickup right? When Mario 3D All-Stars came out I placed an online order for pickup ($49.88 + tax), it gets placed in the automated pickup kiosk in the front of the store. Walk in, scan phone, take game, walk out - about 60 seconds and no personal interaction. Doing the same thing with Age of Calamity in a few days.

TexMex

They've been doing this for nearly a year now. It isn't all releases, but it sure seems like a lot of them. Most third party stuff.

dolabla

You guys know you can just do pickup right? When Mario 3D All-Stars came out I placed an online order for pickup ($49.88 + tax), it gets placed in the automated pickup kiosk in the front of the store. Walk in, scan phone, take game, walk out - about 60 seconds and no personal interaction. Doing the same thing with Age of Calamity in a few days.

How do you do that online? I just tried it and the $10 off is not showing up for games like COD, etc when I try and do in store pickup. It just charges for the full price.

Oh look out guys we have a K-Mart fanboy!

Miss K-Mart of old 😥

Codes 208

They’ve been doing this for years
Not all games though, I guess some suppliers/pubs restrict it or something. Sony games for example don’t seem to get the discount here. But other games like CoD will. I think EA games also don’t do it. Ubisoft games do. It’s like backwards of how you’d think it would be.
The only ones that don’t apply are Sony exclusives. Ea, activision, ubisoft and even Nintendo all allow their games cheaper (though some games are just slightly less cheaper like an EA game will launch at $51 instead of $49.98)

teezzy

Banned
Also my Wal-Mart has a Subway in the front, and I hate the way Subway smells. so bad smell, fluorescent lights, tons of fat unhealthy people in tight clothes, it's a real downer.

Subway may be my favorite "fat people's idea of healthy food"

That, sun chips, and that trail mix with the chocolate and M&Ms in it

People are so dense

MrFunSocks

Banned
Whenever I see people complaining about the raised RRP of games on here I wonder what all the fuss is about. Here in Australia our RRP last gen was $100. Nowhere sold games for $100 other than EB Games. Everywhere else - Big W, Kmart, Target, JB Hifi, Harvey Norman, etc - sold them for between $69 and $89. Day 1. Not on sale. That was their price. Is this not the same in the USA? Does everywhere adhere to RRP?

Subway may be my favorite "fat people's idea of healthy food"

That, sun chips, and that trail mix with the chocolate and M&Ms in it

People are so dense
Subway is extremely healthy if you just get a salad or a wrap with no sauce or cheese. It's literally salad and protein.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly an extra $10 is worth it to me to have it delivered rather than seeing all the deepressing sights you Get going into Wal-Mart and waiting for somebody to come unlock the games case .
Almost all the games have free delivery as well, or order online and pick it up at the front. Still gets the discount with delivery as well on a large number of them. AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs, most new games I just checked.

Last edited:
How do you do that online? I just tried it and the $10 off is not showing up for games like COD, etc when I try and do in store pickup. It just charges for the full price.

Hmm, I don't know what to say, if the game is discounted you can do it on the regular Walmart site. Alternatively some are available on grocery.walmart.com with the discount too, although it will only be $10 off; regular walmart.com sometimes has deeper discounts (e.g. Breath of the Wild $45 walmart.com vs $50 on grocery site right now). Not all games are discounted.

dolabla

Hmm, I don't know what to say, if the game is discounted you can do it on the regular Walmart site. Alternatively some are available on grocery.walmart.com with the discount too, although it will only be $10 off; regular walmart.com sometimes has deeper discounts (e.g. Breath of the Wild $45 walmart.com vs $50 on grocery site right now). Not all games are discounted.

Yeah, it's not showing up for me on the site. This is CoD with store pickup selected:

EntPpea.png

It's not a huge deal as I can just go to the store and do it the old fashioned way. Just happy someone is doing something like this again. Like I said, I never even knew about it until recently. It's not quite GCU from Best Buy, but it's the closest you can currently get.

Yeah, it's not showing up for me on the site.

Newer games aren't always available on the main site, I guess it's YMMV. For me Super Mario 3D All-Stars was available for pickup at $10 off within a couple days. Not sure how long other games take. But COD is definitely $10 off in store already, at least at all the Walmarts in my area:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony seeing Walmart not giving a fuck about the higher prices and sell it for last gen prices:
318271da980706f7a18a811c3456a77d.png

Top Bottom