• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waht is your favourite MH weapon and why.

What is your favourite MH weapon\weapons

• Greatsword

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Longsword

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Switch Axe

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Charge blade

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Insect glaive

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Hammer

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Sword & shield

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Dual blades

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Hunting horn

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Lance

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Gunlance

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Light bow-gun

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Heavy bow-gun

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Bow

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

Pejo

Switch Axe is so satisfying and just feels so right in my hands. It's got just enough of the committal to your attacks that it feels super satisfying to get in a good hit without you having to pre-read everything like a true chad Greatsword hunter. It's never truly had a bad iteration either, even if World focused way too much on Sword mode and left Axe to rot. I've been "maining" it since Tri.

For a nice shakeup, I always enjoy a little Insect Glaive and the ol' standby SnS. It's a shame that SnS oils are a Gen/GenX exclusive, they made the weapon so god damn fun to play.

I wouldn't mark it as a favorite in the poll, but I also usually start a 2nd character at some point in each game and make it a HH user. I can't wait to start out with that in MH:Rise on PC, the weapon got a huge boost in usability and fun factor in Rise.

GymWolf

Well i was having a GREAT time with the GS but then i tried the hammer...

Holy fuck you guys said the truth, this thing is super funny :lollipop_squinting:

As usual any advanced tricks from H veterans is well accepted.

Mostly some hints about the better skills or piece of armours (iceborne)

Is slugger valuable? like can i ipotetically do an infinite number of KOs on a monster or after 4-5 it's super hard and the skill is wasted?
Are the evade extender or the one for the stamina consume while running during charge useful?

Also, does the hammer attacks drain the stamina from a monster other than doing stun damage? (asking for the drain stamina skill)

Last edited:

Aenima

Long Sword and Bow

Mainly LS, love the reach, the combos and sound effects. I use Bow for enemies that are better to fight from a distance.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Well i was having a GREAT time with the GS but then i tried the hammer...

Holy fuck you guys said the truth, this thing is super funny :lollipop_squinting:

As usual any advanced tricks from H veterans is well accepted.

Mostly some hints about the better skill?!

Is slugger valuable? or the evade extender or the one for the stamina consume while running during charge...
I can't give the best tips about skills, because I constantly mix mine up as using the same ones constantly gets stale for me. Evade based skills work well as you will be tyring to get in some headshots and this often means dodging/rolling moves immediately after.

I can say that you want to save your bigger attacks for when a monster is sleeping or knocked out. The big bang one is great, but you don't always have time for it. There's also a shorter big bang version that I use more.

I can't remember the weapon ability, but it's the one where you switch between the purple and yellow power hits. You want to switch them based on how you are attacking. Generally purple until the monster is down and switch back to yellow. You can also combo/roll into the yellow form if I remember correctly. The purple up swing attack has great speed and range, and that will be your bread and butter most of the time.

The wirebug attacks are great, so try out the various ones.

Since hammer is a slower weapon than most, elemental/status effects aren't the best on them, but don't be afraid to use them as switching up for different monsters and builds is part of the fun.

Even with the hammer's surprisingly high mobility, you'll want to be sheathing it a lot as the monster moves around the area. Basically it boils down to finding an opening, pulling out the hammer, getting some hits in, some rolls/dodges, a few more hits, and repeat until the monster jumps away or does a bigger attack.

I had much more playtime in World, but the Hammer in Rise is much more versatile and the actual variety of hammers is better too. So hopefully this is helpful and I'm not mixing up stuff with World too much haha.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I can't give the best tips about skills, because I constantly mix mine up as using the same ones constantly gets stale for me. Evade based skills work well as you will be tyring to get in some headshots and this often means dodging/rolling moves immediately after.

I can say that you want to save your bigger attacks for when a monster is sleeping or knocked out. The big bang one is great, but you don't always have time for it. There's also a shorter big bang version that I use more.

I can't remember the weapon ability, but it's the one where you switch between the purple and yellow power hits. You want to switch them based on how you are attacking. Generally purple until the monster is down and switch back to yellow. You can also combo/roll into the yellow form if I remember correctly. The purple up swing attack has great speed and range, and that will be your bread and butter most of the time.

The wirebug attacks are great, so try out the various ones.

Since hammer is a slower weapon than most, elemental/status effects aren't the best on them, but don't be afraid to use them as switching up for different monsters and builds is part of the fun.

Even with the hammer's surprisingly high mobility, you'll want to be sheathing it a lot as the monster moves around the area. Basically it boils down to finding an opening, pulling out the hammer, getting some hits in, some rolls/dodges, a few more hits, and repeat until the monster jumps away or does a bigger attack.

I had much more playtime in World, but the Hammer in Rise is much more versatile and the actual variety of hammers is better too. So hopefully this is helpful and I'm not mixing up stuff with World too much haha.
Yeah i'm on world and so i don't quite understand some of the things you say :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

At least tell me 2 things:

Is slugger valuable or you reach the max number of ko in a fight even without it?

if you have to chose a general build good for everything, would you invest in evade distance (not window), the skill that slow the stamina drain while running with charge (marathon i think?), quick sheath or the skill that improve air combat damage, you can chose 1 or 2.

Thanks.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yeah i'm on world and so i don't quite understand some of the things you say :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

At least tell me 2 things:

Is slugger valuable or you reach the max number of ko in a fight even without it?

if you have to chose a general build good for everything, would you invest in evade distance (not window), the skill that slow the stamina drain while running with charge (marathon i think?), quick sheath or the skill that improve air combat damage, you can chose 1 or 2.

Thanks.
Slugger is good if solo, but not so good in MP, but if you want to try it out you can. Personally I didn't use it much.

Evade distance is pretty good, but I prefer window and didn't use it much. The jump damage one is great, especially if you spam ledge attacks and sliding spin to wins (releasing a charged attacked while sliding making you spin like crazy and deals a shit ton of damage) like I do lol.

I never use marathon, so can't really comment on that. That being said, I've never needed it.

I used part breaker and weakness exploit a lot.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Wish I could say dual blades, katana or charge blade...

But the truth is, I'm only good with the insect glaive. I'm lame and abuse the flying.

somesang

Bow has always been my main. The stam management meta game is annoying sometimes, but I find it extremely rewarding. SnS/LS in Rise is super fun though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Make me wonder what Switch skill we are getting in Subreak expansion. I hope I get something that I can replace it with Serene pose in LS, I barely use that skill.

Closer

I've been playing SnS since Monster Hunter G. I really dunno why, I just do. I'm way past comfortable with its mechanics and like being mobile and flexible. The bad part is that you take too long to kill anything by yourself, but that let you a lot about Monsters. Love it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I play LLR

Lance Lance Revolution.

Althought Rise kinda mixed up the traditional lance gameplay... less counters and more bouncing around.

GymWolf

Started a new fresh run in world trying to master the GS, slow as fuck but i can ko a monster 2-3 times in sequence with this huge slab of metal🕺

Is it crazy to say that i get even more ko with the gs compared to the hammer?

Sooner or later i'm gonna try the charge blade but i quit half way of every guide i saw, too many shit to learn and i'm not THAT incredible of an hunter, but it looks like the complete package.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Depends on the game.
MH Freedom: SS
MH Tri/3U: SS, LS, LBG
MH4U: CB, LS, SA
MHG/U: CB, HGB, LBG, SS
MHW/IB: LBG, CB, SS
MHR/S: SA, CB, LBG

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's very hard to choose between Charge Blade and Greatsword, so I guess both. Then again I also love hammer......

Talking about world, in Rise I was disappointed with the changes for all three.

Top Bottom