• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankWza

Per game basis and something special does not sound good. Why can't they just do it like Microsoft? It just works.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
And you found one example? That all you got?

Like I said, one example for Xbox might turn into dozens for PS5. HZD2, GT7, GOW2, etc etc etc

If you can find more examples for Xbox please share. Right now you're going off one. Let's hear it.

FrankWza

And you found one example? That all you got?

Like I said, one example for Xbox might turn into dozens for PS5. HZD2, GT7, GOW2, etc etc etc

If you can find more examples for Xbox please share. Right now you're going off one. Let's hear it.
I will try to find a first party, flagship title that is rumored to have cost $500 million and is synonymous with the xbox brand. Sorry I posted this small indie title.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I will try to find a first party, flagship title that is rumored to have cost $500 million and is synonymous with the xbox brand. Sorry I posted this small indie title.

Oh please stop, you and Lognor Lognor ...Halo not working means that there is probably more than just a system level switch and the wording is simply Sony covering their asses.
Look at HDR both console have no problem sending an HDR signal yet there are games without HDR (dying light 2 is an exemple for those wondering).So just drop the console wars and just go in threads where you won't fight or ignore eachother.
This is getting tiring just be happy about games that you like instead of arguing.

rofif

Banned
I was hoping for full "constant" 120hz support and more 40fps locks.
I think these oleds look best at 120hz no matter what framerate. But ps5 switches it to 60hz output for most games and that does a tiny but washing out to the gamma.
At least this is what happenson pc when I switch 120-60fps with VRR enabled. So I switch 120 to 60hz dynamic. See on re2 how it affects gamma below. that's exactly why these tv's flicker. It's not "flicker". it's gamma near black changing a bit. If it's sudden and rapid, you see it as flicker:

and example below is on older build of gamepass. Due to thumbnail animations there, the fps changes and it affects HZ as vrr kicks in, And it's grey so flicker galore:

Normally, in games it is not an issue though. FPS usually drops smoothly and not rapidly. But 120hz output is the only "true" output

Last edited:
Oh please stop, you and Lognor Lognor ...Halo not working means that there is probably more than just a system level switch and the wording is simply Sony covering their asses.
Look at HDR both console have no problem sending an HDR signal yet there are games without HDR (dying light 2 is an exemple for those wondering).So just drop the console wars and just go in threads where you won't fight or ignore eachother.
This is getting tiring just be happy about games that you like instead of arguing.

Honestly this concern kind of reminds me of the concern behind BC on the PS5. It’s best just to wait and see what happens. All I know is that Sony said the PS5 is capable of VRR so they have to deliver on that promise.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Honestly this concern kind of reminds me of the concern behind BC on the PS5. It’s best just to wait and see what happens. All I know is that Sony said the PS5 is capable of VRR so they have to deliver on that promise.
Yeah and I think it is easy to put it on console war only but I think there are other factors.I feel like it has become a symptom of the internet in general where we all react instantly and emotionally without any facts or hindsight.Most of the time if you take a step back let the emotions go and simply reflect on what you read, you will understand that this first reaction was just emotions because it is a subject that we are passionnate about here (I mean gaming not VRR except for Riky Riky maybe:messenger_winking:).Sure sometimes there are surreal news that are hardly believale but true, but generally this step back helps getting over whatever it is that is causing turmoil.

Yeah and I think it is easy to put it on console war only but I think there are other factors.I feel like it has become a symptom of the internet in general where we all react instantly and emotionally without any facts or hindsight.Most of the time if you take a step back let the emotions go and simply reflect on what you read, you will understand that this first reaction was just emotions because it is a subject that we are passionnate about here (I mean gaming not VRR except for Riky Riky maybe:messenger_winking:).Sure sometimes there are surreal news that are hardly believale but true, but generally this step back helps getting over whatever it is that is causing turmoil.

True on a positive note Sony hasn’t said that it isn’t coming so it’s best to assume they are still working on it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

John "I mentioned in the (first) video that VRR is not working, and that's not strictly true, it does work but it doesn't do what it's supposed to do because of the V-Sync setup."

-

To anyone still using Halo: Infinite as an example of VRR needing to be enabled on a per-game basis.

200w.gif

Last edited:

John "I mentioned in the (first) video that VRR is not working, and that's not strictly true, it does work but it doesn't do what it's supposed to do because of the V-Sync setup."

-

To anyone still using Halo: Infinite as an example of VRR needing to be enabled on a per-game basis.

200w.gif

Looking at how VRR works it should be universal on the PS5. There really isn’t a reason to have developers decide if they want it or not in their games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looking at how VRR works it should be universal on the PS5. There really isn’t a reason to have developers decide if they want it or not in their games.
Yes, unless something royally ducks up, it should be as seamless of a thing as it is on PC or Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom