• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
1 - The PS5 update already happened. Went live on PS5 in October.

2 - Has nothing to do with the VRR update. Its to enable Auto Genre Picture Mode and Auto HDR Tone Mapping.

But why do they write that an update is coming by the end of this month then? Makes no sense

kyliethicc

But why do they write that an update is coming by the end of this month then? Makes no sense

You must be new to how lawyers write lol.

End of January 2022 is the latest possible date that every Sony 2021 TV will have received the firmware update by to enable Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode. It never says the PS5 and or Sony TVs will NOT receive the updates before January 2022. Just no later than. Its legal speak.

They mostly likely included the PS5 features in the major firmware update the PS5 had in September 2021. They began updating the TVs in October with the 2020 X90H getting it first. Then more models got it next month, and so on. Like the Sony 2021 4K OLED TVs - A80J and A90J - got updated in November 2021.

Last edited:
The PS4 had downsample mode, so I wonder if 1440p support would again give the user a similar option. I don’t see devs updating games in mass to output 1440p natively however.

I can’t say I’ve experienced “degraded image quality” on a CX with VRR, Freesync or even Gsync. I’ve heard this potential for gamma shift depending on fps differential, but perhaps the games I play don’t vary too much in fps. I’d be lying if I thought this display wasn’t stellar for all the hdmi 2.1 gaming I’ve done, regardless of seeing the same YouTube link over and over. 🤷🏻‍♂️

VRR/Gsync wouldn’t be a thing if stable fps weren’t a challenge we’ll be dealing with for the foreseeable future. Sony should have had this day one, they were clearly holding out to save face.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The PS5 update in September 2021 is literally "by the end of January 2022." lol
Guess it depends on the eyes reading?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or seriously struggling to grasp such a basic thing.
Me Too Girl GIF by Hollie Kitchens

kyliethicc

Guess it depends on the eyes reading?
Ask yourself this

if the PS5 still has not received the update

that will enable Auto HDR Tone Mapping

that you think is still yet to come in January

how is

Auto HDR Tone Mapping

the feature that requires this PS5 update

that again, you think still has not occured yet

already fully functional on PS5

right now ?

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Ask yourself this

if the PS5 still hasn't received the update

that you think is still yet to come in January

how is

Auto HDR Tone Mapping

the feature that requires this PS5 update

(that you think still has not occured yet)

already full functioning on PS5 right now?
I don't know... That's why it's weird they're announcing an update from September to come out in the end of January. Maybe it's more than Auto HDR Tone Mapping?

S0ULZB0URNE

Duh, that's the whole point, with VRR there is no such thing as framedrops. Because what is a frame drop, what does it mean? It's when the framerate is below the display's refresh rate, and with VRR it never happens because the displays is in perfect sync with the framerate.
Huh? On "consoles" we have games that don't lose frames.
No need for VRR in these cases.
Games that lose frames VRR benefits.

You must main PC because it is the format with inconsistent performance hence the need for VRR/Gysnc etc.

intbal

I don't think so. But they could've engineered it with higher bandwidth, but decided to cap it at a lower rate at launch. Then a future firmware update might be able to remove the cap.
I'm not sure why you would need to do such a thing, though. So it seems unlikely that the current models are capable of a higher bandwidth.

A little digging has led to some information requiring me to modify an earlier post I made. I found this article from just after the Xbox One X launch which provides some interesting information regarding HDMI hardware capabilities. From the article:

While still in its early days, Microsoft has previously committed to delivering HDMI 2.1 support to Xbox One X in the future. Although new hardware is often required to take advantage of the revision, Microsoft claims the Xbox One X was futureproofed with the required hardware already onboard. This should mean that once ready, HDMI 2.1 compliance can be added via a quick firmware update.

If you follow the link to the tweet, it's from Microsoft's Mike Ybarra. Here is what he had to say:

Certified for 2.0 now. Will certify for 2.1 when the spec is finalized (it isn't yet, hopefully by Nov).

So, it seems very likely that Sony could have built in a higher bandwidth to the PS5, but have been waiting for final 2.1 certification to enable it. If Microsoft can do it with the One X from 2017, there's no reason it can't be done to a 2020 console.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1.5 years to add this feature? What the hell is going on?

2-3 years to implement any form of multitasking next?

I would love to find out just what happened here. VRR is an HDMI 2.1 level feature, there's literally no reason why the PS5 couldn't have it enabled on day 1.

Some have speculated Sony wouldn't enable it until they were able to get VRR working right with their TV sets. Wonder how much of that is true.

ManaByte

Gold Member
In a video released yesterday - for an update released in September...

The video was released for CES as a promotion for Sony’s tech. There hasn’t been a CES since the update rolled out. This was done for them to promote what they’re doing with their TVs and the PS5 to people who don’t normally pay attention to every FW Update that rolls out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't know... That's why it's weird they're announcing an update from September to come out in the end of January. Maybe it's more than Auto HDR Tone Mapping?

"By the end of" means "before the end of" or "no later than". It's not the same as "at the end of". So it means literally any time before the end of January. Like for example September.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I would love to find out just what happened here. VRR is an HDMI 2.1 level feature, there's literally no reason why the PS5 couldn't have it enabled on day 1.

Some have speculated Sony wouldn't enable it until they were able to get VRR working right with their TV sets. Wonder how much of that is true.
Some Sony TVs have VRR now. Yet no PS5 update. I’m starting to think it’s due to the bandwidth on the HDMI port and the most we’ll get is the Auto HDR stuff that already rolled out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Some Sony TVs have VRR now. Yet no PS5 update. I’m starting to think it’s due to the bandwidth on the HDMI port and the most we’ll get is the Auto HDR stuff that already rolled out.

If so they've got some class-action lawsuits coming. They promised it in writing before the console was released:

Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.

If so they've got some class-action lawsuits coming. They promised it in writing before the console was released:

Not to mention it was in the spec sheets that were being tossed around. I wouldn't market the system as having VRR if I knew the hardware wasn't capable of it. I'm pretty sure they must have done some tests to make sure it's capable of supporting it in the future. I could be wrong though but it would be a huge oversight.

Elios83

They clearly stated that PS5 hardware supports VRR.
And I don't think that VRR needs extra bandwidth per se. 32Gb/s bandwidth just means that at 4K/120Hz/HDR you have to deal with chroma compression and not full RGB. But you can do VRR.

Maybe the reality is just that VRR is such a niche feature that only a fraction of users can take advantage of plus their TVs didn't support it, so they gave priority to improve the UI experience and features for everyone.
The PS5 YouTube app took a year to get native HDR support and it's certainly not because PS5 doesn't support HDR. There are priorities.

I'd wait for the next big firmware update, last one was in September, the next one should be coming relatively soon.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
There is nothing dynamic at all.
You basically code what looks dynamic.

No game code create things dynamically... it create things limited to have the feel of dynamism... it is fixed coded to generate everything you see on screen.

But I guess you think dynamic is when you use a variable with a random value to end generating something... well that variable have a range (min and max) that limit what it can generate.
no

MrFunSocks

Banned
To be fair the lack of 1440p output is a way bigger flaw on Sony side than VRR.

There are tons of people that uses monitors on consoles… Sony should implement that option.
The funny thing with what you said is that people playing on 1440p monitors very likely are playing on 1440p VRR capable monitors lol.

Also since a few people have been saying that VRR is bad because it enables “lazy devs” to release “unoptimized games”, which is just stupid. Every game these days should give you a uncapped frame rate option because it means that you can get higher framerates with VRR now, but more importantly it means that when you play these games on the PS6/Xbox Electric Boogaloo you’ll automatically get an even higher frame rate - potentially 120fps on games that struggled to maintain 30 or 60 on the PS5/Series X. It’s “future proofing” in the same way that dynamic resolution is.

Imagine they release a game today for PS5 that runs at a locked 30fps @ 1080p with all the bells and whistles, ray tracing out the wahzoo…….and by ticking the unlock frame rate button when you play it on PS6, it’s native 4K 120hz without any work needed by the developers or Sony. VRR and Dynamic Resolution let that happen.

You must main PC because it is the format with inconsistent performance hence the need for VRR/Gysnc etc.
I think you fundamentally don’t understand what VRR is and why it’s an actual bonafide game changer for video games.

Let’s take TLOU for example. Say it launches at a rock solid 30fps. To get rock solid 30fps it has to be capable of running ABOVE 30fps the entire time. It might be able to run at 50fps 99% of the time! This would mean that Naughty Dog would have to choose to let you play at locked 30fps or at “60fps” that is actually 50fps with tonnes of slowdown and/or tearing. Not a good experience at all, which is why they choose the 30fps mode.

Now if you had VRR, you can play at 50fps and it will be buttery smooth. Almost double the frame rate of the 30fps mode! On PC I play games running anywhere from 80fps to 120fps and with VRR it’s all just smooth. No slowdown, no tearing, just an unlocked framerate. You no longer have to tweak settings and limit your framerate to match that of your monitor (or a multiple of it) - you just set the settings to hit whatever average framerate you like and VRR does the rest.

VRR is legitimately one of the biggest, most impactful advancements in gaming tech this century.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
go to tell this to no mans sky dev on Twitter so we can laugh at a dev answering to you again. You famous for this )
So a example of promising over the hardware capabilities with under delivering that just agree with my point.

Thanks.

PS. Something I have the feeling you have no ideia of what you are writing lol

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
So a example of promising over the hardware capabilities with under delivering that just agree with my point.

Thanks.

PS. Something I have the feeling you have no ideia of what you are writing lol
i was just answer at this phrase

"No game code create things dynamically... it create things limited to have the feel of dynamism... it is fixed coded to generate everything you see on screen."

and i repeat you are wrong

Demigod Mac

Give me Dolby Vision support in 4K UHD BluRays!

Yes I want Dolby Vision more than VRR.
Unlikely to happen unfortunately... Sony (and MS) won't want to pay Dolby a royalty fee per console sold, unless they figure out a way to make it work via a paid download for those who want it.
For a while I held onto hope that the PS5 or XSX would support Dolby Vision on disc, but ended up biting the bullet and buying a Panasonic UB820.
Was at first annoyed at having to do that (it's not cheap - $500), but I'm very pleased with it now - the HDR Optimizer feature delivers superior image quality and it even has sir Vincent's seal of approval.

ethomaz

Banned
i was just answer at this phrase

"No game code create things dynamically... it create things limited to have the feel of dynamism... it is fixed coded to generate everything you see on screen."

and i repeat you are wrong
Nope.

What you think is dynamic is coded to make you feel it is dynamic.
It is the very base of gaming programming that is just a programming loop.

Last edited:

twilo99

Unlikely to happen unfortunately... Sony (and MS) won't want to pay Dolby a royalty fee per console sold, unless they figure out a way to make it work via a paid download for those who want it.
For a while I held onto hope that the PS5 or XSX would support Dolby Vision on disc, but ended up biting the bullet and buying a Panasonic UB820.
Was at first annoyed at having to do that (it's not cheap - $500), but I'm very pleased with it now - the HDR Optimizer feature delivers superior image quality and it even has sir Vincent's seal of approval.

I think I recently saw a series s that seemed to have support for dolby vision

7tqCug1.jpg

unless that "allow dolby vision" doesn't actually work..

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The 1440p people are annoying and stubborn. It is just a temporary in between resolution. There is no reason not to have 4k hud and dynamic 4k or checkerboard or whatever.
Just change your stupid ass monitor. Most of your monitors do accept 4k signal anyway. I know it’s double scaling then but no big deal.
And by clinging to your shitty 1440p monitors, you loose on hdr too which is somehow still not good on monitors

I mean, whatever…. Adding 1440p support should be easy and why not to add it. But your stupid annoying complaining about this is tiring. … kinda same with vrr.

I noticed that people never change their monitors. It’s a part of a setup they cooking too for years and years. It’s expensive but still cheaper than your phone or gpu. Just get anew 4k tv or monitor or at least 1440p one that accepts and downscales 4k. It’s like every monitor now

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What a mess this is, hope Sony adds it soon and 1440p. It’s crazy to see how little people actually know about VRR but are quick to discard it.
it’s a great feature that updates your screen and gpu in unison. They basically talk to each other and display the exact amount of refreshes per second that the gpu can supply. So if it drops to 40 fps the screen will display 40 perfectly synced frames per second meaning to the viewer there is no tearing and the moving picture looks smooth, this can fluctuate as it needs to Dependant on the gpus output.

also, common to disbelief the LG OLEDS can range all the way down to 20fps which is huge for gaming.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The 1440p people are annoying and stubborn. It is just a temporary in between resolution. There is no reason not to have 4k hud and dynamic 4k or checkerboard or whatever.
Just change your stupid ass monitor. Most of your monitors do accept 4k signal anyway. I know it’s double scaling then but no big deal.
And by clinging to your shitty 1440p monitors, you loose on hdr too which is somehow still not good on monitors
Do you really want this debate again?

Those "shitty" 27" 1440p monitors have higher PPI (109 exactly) than 4K 55" TV's (80 PPI) - hard to hit anything closer to the sweetspot (110 PPI).

Do you know what's wrong with the world today? - people buying stuff they don't need and people telling them they need to buy new stuff they don't need.

And btw, HDR works just fine on monitors - better than on OLED's in some cases.

Please don't get mad at people for wanting their hardware to work together. It's not all that's fortunate enough to go out and buy new crap all the time.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member

I mean, whatever…. Adding 1440p support should be easy and why not to add it. But your stupid annoying complaining about this is tiring. … kinda same with vrr.

I noticed that people never change their monitors. It’s a part of a setup they cooking too for years and years. It’s expensive but still cheaper than your phone or gpu. Just get anew 4k tv or monitor or at least 1440p one that accepts and downscales 4k. It’s like every monitor now
Face Palm No GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do you really want this debate again?

Those "shitty" 27" 1440p monitors have higher PPI (109 exactly) than 4K 55" TV's (80 PPI) - hard to hit anything closer to the sweetspot (110 PPI).

Do you know what's wrong with the world today? - people buying stuff they don't need and people telling them they need to buy new stuff they don't need.

And btw, HDR works just fine on monitors - better than on OLED's in some cases.

Please don't get mad at people for wanting their hardware to fit together. It's not all that's fortunate enough to go out and buy new crap all the time.
PPI barely matters. I had 27" 1440p monitors and for 2 years I've had 27" 4k ips monitor.
PPI on it was fantastic(160). Text looked like vectors. It was the biggest scare going to 48" 4k... and now I see how stupid of a worry it was. Bigger screen is so much more fun and immersive. Maybe not this big for everyone but still.
And no. HDR does not work just fine on monitors... and not better than oleds... you gotta be crazy to even think that. Unless there are oled monitors I don't know about except that one lg copy.

I am not mad at people personally. Each to his own.
I just would like to maybe enlighten some people of out their stubbornness. Your 1440p monitor is not a center of the world. Not the ultimate and all be all. Especially not for a console.
The TV console game system is just that. A console for TV at least at this point. You can use it with any monitor but frankly - monitors are not there yet. Which is the stupidest thing ever.
I loved playing on my lg 27uk650 4k monitor. On pc and ps5 that is. SDR games look fantastic on it in 4k.
Experiment, enjoy your stuff. Don't be stuck in your ways. Maybe. just maybe you will find experience to be different, maybe better if you break out of your set in stone habits.
if You can't do that - The console is not for you. Keep to pc gaming as it gives you any choice you want. You can't go around and demanding different entertainment ecosystem just to confront around you.

Anyway - the vrr and 1440p IS COMING. Better monitors are also supposedly coming. This debate will end itself automatically

8BiTw0LF

Banned
PPI barely matters. I had 27" 1440p monitors and for 2 years I've had 27" 4k ips monitor.
PPI on it was fantastic(160). Text looked like vectors. It was the biggest scare going to 48" 4k... and now I see how stupid of a worry it was. Bigger screen is so much more fun and immersive. Maybe not this big for everyone but still.
And no. HDR does not work just fine on monitors... and not better than oleds... you gotta be crazy to even think that. Unless there are oled monitors I don't know about except that one lg copy.

I am not mad at people personally. Each to his own.
I just would like to maybe enlighten some people of out their stubbornness. Your 1440p monitor is not a center of the world. Not the ultimate and all be all. Especially not for a console.
The TV console game system is just that. A console for TV at least at this point. You can use it with any monitor but frankly - monitors are not there yet. Which is the stupidest thing ever.
I loved playing on my lg 27uk650 4k monitor. On pc and ps5 that is. SDR games look fantastic on it in 4k.
Experiment, enjoy your stuff. Don't be stuck in your ways. Maybe. just maybe you will find experience to be different, maybe better if you break out of your set in stone habits.
if You can't do that - The console is not for you. Keep to pc gaming as it gives you any choice you want. You can't go around and demanding different entertainment ecosystem just to confront around you.

Anyway - the vrr and 1440p IS COMING. Better monitors are also supposedly coming. This debate will end itself automatically
Again with the bashing - you just can't help yourself, can you?

PPI matters for monitors - not as much for TV's because of the distance you sit from it - everything becomes "retina" from a distance.

Big screens are only fun if you have to sit further away from them - like in a livingroom.
If your face is 1 feet away from a 27" you can't see anything else than the screen..
Why do you think a bigger screen would do anything better in that regard?

We've already been through HDR and how brightness matters - but I guess you didn't learn that higher peak brightness can ultimately deliver better HDR results - something OLED only seems to be able to deliver with the new LG 2022 G series.

"Don't be stuck in your ways" - look who's talking.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Again with the bashing - you just can't help yourself, can you?

PPI matters for monitors - not as much for TV's because of the distance you sit from it - everything becomes "retina" from a distance.

Big screens are only fun if you have to sit further away from them - like in a livingroom.
If your face is 1 feet away from a 27" you can't see anything else than the screen..
Why do you think a bigger screen would do anything better in that regard?

We've already been through HDR and how brightness matters - but I guess you didn't learn that higher peak brightness can ultimately deliver better HDR results - something OLED only seems to be able to deliver with the new LG 2022 G series.

"Don't be stuck in your ways" - look who's talking.
Look who is talking? I was very stubborn for years and now I m better off not being so...
I am using 48" just as close as I was using 27" 4k. I can't see the pixels unless I get 5cm close to the screen. PPI is just not a concern.
Anti aliasing is something else. I needed to use it on 27" and just as much I need to use it on 48".

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Look who is talking? I was very stubborn for years and now I m better off not being so...
I am using 48" just as close as I was using 27" 4k. I can't see the pixels unless I get 5cm close to the screen. PPI is just not a concern.
Anti aliasing is something else. I needed to use it on 27" and just as much I need to use it on 48".
You're a fortunate consumer - like me. We can go out and buy most things we like every other year. Not all are as fortunate and some form of standards should be available from the companies that sell our goods - like 1440p should be a standard on PS5, since 1440p is one of the biggest standards on PC. iPhones should also use USB-C since that's the standard for the industry now.

There's a thin line between customer service and bad customer service and some companies are notoriously great at calling bad customer service for good customer service - even the fans of the brand get's manipulated and starts attacking everyone who states the obvious.

Just take a look at Apple, Sony, Microsoft and Disney.

Do you really wanna be that guy?

ZywyPL

Banned

And how many games with that perfect frametate are there? 1 on 10? 15? 20?

And what's worse, by artifically locking the framerate you create the situation where you're running the games on a much more capable hardware (BC) and they still run at those damn 30FPS (hence all the patch-begging).

The bottom line is, the more options the better, more choice has never hurt anyone, people who like cinematic 30FPS have it by default, those who want 60 have their option now as well, so I don't see a reason there shouldn't be an additional unlocked framerate mode as well.

And yeah, I'm mainly a PC guy, hence I know well how the games behave depending on the scene complexity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom