• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR hardware sales approach $2.1 billion thanks to Oculus Quest

Grinchy

Banned
Not by much. To be honest, the battery life is just not great on the Quest. While it doesn't have to actually run the game, it still has to stream it while running another app, Virtual Desktop
Very interesting. The 2-3 (advertised) hours of battery life seems like a pretty significant drawback. Especially if the battery capacity diminishes after a year or 2 of use.

I fucking love the idea of being able to just strap the thing on and play anywhere, though.

Matt_Fox

And where are all these people saying VR is going mainstream?

The headline of the article that this thread is about: "Oculus Quest is giving VR the boost it needs for mass adoption".

We're often told things are going to be disruptive technologies by those press, media, influencers, youtubers, that have a vested stake in hyperbole and ad clicks. "VR will change everything!" etc.

The truth is that VR hasn't been the disruptive force that 'they' told us it would be, instead it has been embraced into the folds of gaming and has found its niche in the playground. It hasn't taken over, and I don't believe it is likely ever to. It's another type of gaming, like handheld gaming, that coexists peacefully.

If anything VR has been forgotten about and replaced by the new cause celebre. Streaming is the new VR, the new disruptor that the click hungry mobs are shouting "will change everything!".

People need to back off the hyperbole and calm down a little. Gaming is more enjoyable when you just allow it to be mellow and fun - not everything needs to be hyped like its life and death.

Starfield

I have to say after playing SkyrimVR I really wanna see every game from now on to be VR ready from launch. Albeit without having to sacrifice any graphics or performance which won't be possible in the near future yet

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have a quest coming tomorrow. I really liked my psvr but the low res and tracking really started to bug me.

lukilladog

What deal?

To let Valve games work on the oculus of course.

God, you sound like one of those fanboy living in denial when the wii was first popular

But you don´t tell them they sound like the wiiuu resistance :messenger_expressionless:

Don't bother. He's convinced the only way a VR headset could possibly sell out is if all the manufacturers get together and agree to pretend to be sold out so NeoGAF will make a thread or something stupid.

He doesn't seem to have anything to back this up other than "VR sucks".

You are the one convinced it´s just "high demand" because you are very biassed, I just don´t believe for a second these companies were afraid to put another 200 or 300 million on product to not risk missing holidays... facebook makes 5 billion a month in publicity alone bro!. Scarcity tacticts is the one thing that put them on this position most likely.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It wouldn't surprise me if Half-Life Alyx pushes VR's hardware to $3 billion next year. Especially if Sony starts to sell the PSVR for $149, AND the PS5 can run all PSVR games at 120 fps with super clean AA.

Last edited:

GymWolf

giphy.gif

Antwix

I'd actually be interested in seeing some sort of "average playtime" type stats regarding VR. IMO it's just another gimmick that would get kind of boring after a month. No doubt it's selling decently but I feel that people just kinda play it here and there and never for long periods of time. Like I can't imagine coming home from work after a long day and being like "YEAH let's play some VR shit!"

MiguelItUp

I honestly figured it was Alyx and just overall price drops that helped it move it a bit more. I will say I have been seeing Oculus commercials a LOT more these days. Just various ads, etc.

As I've mentioned before, I definitely bought an Odyssey Plus cause it was only $250 and I want to be ready to Alyx. So I figured that mindset resonated throughout the gaming community.

Another good pal of mine works at the Microsoft Store, and he said that the past few weeks they can't keep a number of WMR headsets on the shelves. That they keep selling out. It was funny cause he mentioned the whole Alyx release and the time in which they were selling didn't really click until we talked about it.

I honestly figured it's a number of variables that I mentioned above. The price drop, Alyx coming, and the other IPs. I was always interested in VR and wanted to pull the trigger, I just couldn't do it at $300 and up. As it just felt like such a particular accessory and I didn't want it gathering dust. :p

nowhat

I have a quest coming tomorrow. I really liked my psvr but the low res and tracking really started to bug me.
I borrowed a PSVR from a friend for a month, and it's clearly a 1.0 product. The resolution is too low, the Move controllers are serviceable at best, and yes, having to recalibrate the tracking is very annoying.

Still, while it didn't convince me to buy one, I was quite impressed. Despite all the shortcomings, some genuinely good experiences can be had. Something like RE7 or WipEout is so close to being "there". I'll definitely check out PSVR 2 when it arrives.

(I know PC VR is the way to go for the latest and greatest, but I have no interest getting a gaming PC)

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Imagine having a shit ton of product you have every incentive to sell and get into the hands of consumers but coming up with a plan to actually not sell them because not selling them makes you sell more?

evil geniuses over there

Romulus

The headline of the article that this thread is about: "Oculus Quest is giving VR the boost it needs for mass adoption".

We're often told things are going to be disruptive technologies by those press, media, influencers, youtubers, that have a vested stake in hyperbole and ad clicks. "VR will change everything!" etc.

The truth is that VR hasn't been the disruptive force that 'they' told us it would be, instead it has been embraced into the folds of gaming and has found its niche in the playground. It hasn't taken over, and I don't believe it is likely ever to. It's another type of gaming, like handheld gaming, that coexists peacefully.

If anything VR has been forgotten about and replaced by the new cause celebre. Streaming is the new VR, the new disruptor that the click hungry mobs are shouting "will change everything!".

People need to back off the hyperbole and calm down a little. Gaming is more enjoyable when you just allow it to be mellow and fun - not everything needs to be hyped like its life and death.

I get what you're saying. VR isn't going to take over and there are people that take it too far, but the opposite exists too.
VR is gaining steam every year. In 6 months, it has more AAA games than its entire history combined. Sales are way up. These are just facts, yet you're okay with the hyperbole that "VR is dead etc" despite it having it's best year. Streaming and other things will come, but VR remain on the moderate incline as the tech gets more affordable.

Romulus

I'd actually be interested in seeing some sort of "average playtime" type stats regarding VR. IMO it's just another gimmick that would get kind of boring after a month. No doubt it's selling decently but I feel that people just kinda play it here and there and never for long periods of time. Like I can't imagine coming home from work after a long day and being like "YEAH let's play some VR shit!"

This is bull. It's not just wii type games bro "vr gimmick shit." I'm about as hardcore as they come and there are games in VR that are absolutely impossible to experience in regular gaming. When devs take advantage of the unique tech, it's something incredible.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Post a photo of a gaming executive that portrays the image you think is worthy, curious what we're all missing

What we are all missing? For all I care thy can all share the same attributes and appearances. What's this dude your uncle?

So edgy you are and cool 👍😎

VR is still 5-10 years off becoming a mainstream thing. Sony will try to present them having VR as some kind of competitive advantage over Nintendo/MS, but it's not. It's just a distraction.

It's usually people working at investment websites trying to gin up stocks on VR companies writing click-bait articles about how it's going to explode any minute now. Heck, I don't think even if Apple came out with a VR it would make any difference. You still have to put this stupid thing on your head and it causes motion sickness. The 'return on investment' for the average person is not worth it.

Romulus

VR is still 5-10 years off becoming a mainstream thing. Sony will try to present them having VR as some kind of competitive advantage over Nintendo/MS, but it's not. It's just a distraction.

If sony believes as you do(5-10 years until manstream) wouldn't it make sense to get on the ground floor now? 7 years from now will be still be the ps5 gen. If VR takes off within the time you suggested, that will likely fall in next gen. Huge advantage to be the only headset at that point on console.

I think Sony sees the writing on the wall. With a 4 million psvr user base they had a VR game that charted #1 in sales against their 95 million install base of regular ps4 games. Thats an incredible disparity to overcome. Imagine how well that would have sold with 10, 20, or 30 million psvrs. Software attachment rate is very solid and thats much of the reason psvr2 is confirmed, not a maybe.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

So innovation shouldn't be a thing anymore?

pr0cs

What we are all missing? For all I care thy can all share the same attributes and appearances. What's this dude your uncle?

So edgy you are and cool 👍😎
I'm curious what it is about him that triggers you so.
Clearly you have a better idea what a gaming business exec should look like so I'm trying to gauge what that is?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I borrowed a PSVR from a friend for a month, and it's clearly a 1.0 product. The resolution is too low, the Move controllers are serviceable at best, and yes, having to recalibrate the tracking is very annoying.

Still, while it didn't convince me to buy one, I was quite impressed. Despite all the shortcomings, some genuinely good experiences can be had. Something like RE7 or WipEout is so close to being "there". I'll definitely check out PSVR 2 when it arrives.

(I know PC VR is the way to go for the latest and greatest, but I have no interest getting a gaming PC)

I feel the same. Some things works amazingly well. Like Moss and Astrobot. But most everything else felt like something was missing. Might of been proper tracking, 360 ability. Something.

But it made me a believer in VR for sure. I'm hoping I'll have a better time with the quest.

If sony believes as you do(5-10 years until manstream) wouldn't it make sense to get on the ground floor now? 7 years from now will be still be the ps5 gen. If VR takes off within the time you suggested, that will likely fall in next gen. Huge advantage to be the only headset at that point on console.

I think Sony sees the writing on the wall. With a 4 million psvr user base they had a VR game that charted #1 in sales against their 95 million install base of regular ps4 games. Thats an incredible disparity to overcome. Imagine how well that would have sold with 10, 20, or 30 million psvrs. Software attachment rate is very solid and thats much of the reason psvr2 is confirmed, not a maybe.

I like how you've instantly granted Sony 30 million PSVR sales in the future. Based on what? Microsoft is working on VR as we speak, but they know it is massively afflicted with problems.

* Motion sickness
* discomfort of the headset
* new modality of gameplay
* lack of compelling experiences

Microsoft knows that you have to address all those things if you want to sell 100 million VR headsets 10 years from now. Let Sony have their 5-10 million VR sales in the meantime, Microsoft is going for a power of 10.

mckmas8808

I like how you've instantly granted Sony 30 million PSVR sales in the future. Based on what? Microsoft is working on VR as we speak, but they know it is massively afflicted with problems.

* Motion sickness

Microsoft knows that you have to address all those things if you want to sell 100 million VR headsets 10 years from now. Let Sony have their 5-10 million VR sales in the meantime, Microsoft is going for a power of 10.

Do you work for MS?

Romulus

* Motion sickness

You completely missed my point. I said "imagine if the had 30 million headsets." I was making the point that VR games sell well without many headsets, so imagine if they did. Chill.

But never mind, you're a hardcore Microsoft guy I see, I had no idea and I thought we were just have a discussion about VR.

Grinchy

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if Half-Life Alyx pushes VR's hardware to $3 billion next year. Especially if Sony starts to sell the PSVR for $149, AND the PS5 can run all PSVR games at 120 fps with super clean AA.
Man I am so hoping that they just announce every psvr 1 game at 120fps native. The two games I've seen on psvr that are 120fps native are so smooth.

Ar¢tos

* Motion sickness

"Tales out of my ass"

Nydus

Gold Member
I just did that today. The moment my son went to bed I was off to vr giving a horde of zombies the good news via some bullets to the head :D

* Motion sickness

All 4 of your points are largely solved. I had a lot of motion sickness with the PSvr but with the rift s I'm more then fine. I don't even need teleporting anymore! And the software for vr is getting really good lately. This was the main reason I jumped back in.

Antwix

This is bull. It's not just wii type games bro "vr gimmick shit." I'm about as hardcore as they come and there are games in VR that are absolutely impossible to experience in regular gaming. When devs take advantage of the unique tech, it's something incredible.
Fair enough. I just think it may just go the way of 3D TVs

You are the one convinced it´s just "high demand" because you are very biassed, I just don´t believe for a second these companies were afraid to put another 200 or 300 million on product to not risk missing holidays... facebook makes 5 billion a month in publicity alone bro!. Scarcity tactics is the one thing that put them on this position most likely.

Make 5 billion a month, yet dick around with Marketing 101 tactics to sell a few more plastic headsets?

JenniferLawrenceyeahokay.gif

Post a photo of a gaming executive that portrays the image you think is worthy, curious what we're all missing

J Allard in a hoody, jeans and trainers, sat (literally) on the edge of the stage at (E3/CES?) playing the original xbox.

lukilladog

Make 5 billion a month, yet dick around with Marketing 101 tactics to sell a few more plastic headsets?

They are not seeing the numbers, they made like 5 million in games on the first 15 days I think, that´s like EA selling 100k copies of a new game, disaster.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Quest undoubtedly proves that the hardware needed to evolve more, get a bit easier to use, go down in price, etc., before it finds a niche, but even then, it has a long way to go.

I hope Oculus still decides to revisit the high end market with a proper Rift 2. They probably won't, but I hope so.

bitbydeath

* Motion sickness

A lot of your points are due to weak current-gen hardware. When next-gen jumps from 1.84TF to 13TF then you should see a large boost in everything.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

* Motion sickness

I don’t think this is a huge issue. The mechanisms that cause it are understood and games can be designed around it. Also the higher refresh rates and FOV of the latest headsets reduce motion sickness considerably.

Less and less of an issue over time as weight is reduced and head straps get better, though I imagine it’ll always bug some beta dummies

(That’s a joke)

...you mean like an analogue joystick to control a character in 3D space which became ubiquitous in gaming? I’m not sure I understand why this is a drawback. New modalities of gameplay are a good thing.

Except when people actually play VR, they are compelled to buy it. People love it. Even my retired parents are talking about getting a Quest because they’ve tried it at my house and my other siblings have headsets too

Oh, I forgot to look to Microsoft as the thought leaders in gaming innovation...damn, I forgot all new things come out day one looking like polished products and don’t go through iterations and refinements. Shitty looking 3D titles like Virtua Fighter were certainly indicative of what we could expect from 3D graphics 5 years down the line...

Last edited:

Allandor

you're really comparing it to the 3rd best selling game of all time?

2 billion is not bad.
Sry, but $2b is alsmost "nothing" with those many devices and the time window they were sold. It's not too bad, but not really good. It really seems like VR stays in its niche market.
- 3d TVs had a bigger volume and those are dead, too.
- Kinect 1 had a bigger market and it's dead
I wouldn't be suprised if even Playstation Eye had a bigger market ^^

That's $2 billion in total revenue across ALL vr devices?

The press and opinion makers need to ease off the hyperbole and just let VR be a fun peripheral for those that enjoy it, and stop trying to proclaim that we'll all be living in the matrix next year or that it's a console killer.
Exactly that.

Last edited:

McCheese

Oculus Quest seems like an amazing thing until you learn that every big VR game don´t run on it.

Fucking hell that's such a hot take you have a queue of Australian tourists waiting to see it.

Bestsaber, job sim, superhot, and a little thing called pornography are all great on the Quest.

TBiddy

I'm curious what it is about him that triggers you so.

He's from Microsoft. That's enough to trigger a negative reaction from this guy.

Also, 2 billion revenue isn't really that much. It's a poor business for all companies involved, as it stands right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom