• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR finally mainstream!

It's never gonna be REALLY mainstream until they sensibly reduce weight and size and a big improvement on the battery life.
They are just too bulky, uncomfortble, easily sweat inducing to make a breach on the hearts of the casuals or anti-vr people.

And this comes from a guy with 2 vr device that probably gonna buy a psvr2.
I looked at all the Oculus battery accessories out there and they're all terrible; even the official ones. 1.5 hours, 2 hours, etc.

Literally all you need is a $50 multi-purpose power brick charger. If you ever feel like playing for longer than 2-3 hours, then just put it in your pocket and run the cord under your shirt. Lasts probably 8 hours on top of the normal 2-3, and you don't have to wear it on your head. All the accessories seem like a waste of money to me.

Kev Kev

It's never gonna be REALLY mainstream until they sensibly reduce weight and size and a big improvement on the battery life.
They are just too bulky, uncomfortble, easily sweat inducing to make a breach on the hearts of the casuals or anti-vr people.

10 milions quest for 6 billions of people on this planet is not really mainstream.
i think there is still truth to this. us gamers are getting into it, but its still some years off from being as mainstream as streaming TV, social media or other devices like cell phones and Alexa, etc... it needs to be smaller and easier before we can officially call it "mainstream".

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
cool opinion but i disagree. i much prefer seated with a controller. standing, moving around and/or using motion controllers takes me out of the experience. and it just gets old after like 20 minutes. i get way more enjoyment when im seated.

edit: go ahead keep laughing Alexios Alexios since you have nothing intelligent to say. douche
You've only tried VR with shit tracking so your "opinions" are 100% uninformed ass-umptions (like the crap you proclaimed for Quest 2 then backpedaled to just asking questions). Of course the best games will be those that utilize working controls, how are you too dense to get that?

Oh well, you'll switch your tunes when it comes to "motion controls" (oh how I hate using "motion controls" in real life like, you know, naturally using my hands to do whatever I want, fun and engaging stuff in this three dimensional space we live in, lmao) when you get PSVR2, troll away.

You also try to project it to everyone else, proclaiming that's what "most" people want as you have said elsewhere, even though at the moment it's Quest driving mass adoption of VR and the vast majority of its offerings are things that utilize the controller/hand tracking, it's just funny shit.

If "most" people wanted this VR would have been massively adopted by CV1's launch that didn't even have hand controllers and came with an Xbox pad, with Oculus seeing that & focusing on just putting head tracking in traditional games, making VorpX a killer app. The opposite happened.

That's what every company dabbling in VR does, Sony included. That's what drives adoption of VR. Not glorified ultra widescreen 3D, but the ability to easily get in, and do, shit you can't, all via versatile controllers, rather than lightguns or other by context devices, which would be bad & costly.

Final edit: no argument again, even though you've seen this since you live in these threads & it's been quoted by others etc.; I don't need to repeat myself if you fail to provide a compelling argument and thus your posts are indeed just funnily ignorant shit takes, so I react and you get triggered 🤦‍♂️
qvnuA1I.png

Alexios Alexios aawww look at the little triggered baby. arent you cute wheres your mommy :messenger_tears_of_joy: whats the matter buddy, cant handle an actual conversation?

thats what i thought. keep hiding behind your reactions without ever actually engaging you coward.

Last edited:
Dude, you've only tried VR with shit motion controls like PSVR and that's all you have played so all your opinions are 100% uninformed assumptions. Of course on PSVR the best games may be those that utilize controls that actually work, how are you too dense to get that?

Oh well, you'll switch your tune when it comes to "motion controls" (oh how I hate using "motion controls" in real life like, you know, naturally using my hands to do whatever I want, fun and engaging stuff in the three dimensional space we live in, lol) when you get PSVR2, but troll away.

You also try to project it to everyone else, proclaiming that's what "most" people want as you have done elsewhere, even though at the moment it's Quest driving mass adoption of VR and the vast majority of its offerings are things that utilize the controller/hand tracking, just funny is all.

If "most" people wanted that then VR would have been massively adopted with the original CV1 that didn't even have hand controllers and came with an Xbox pad, with Oculus seeing how amazingly that does and focusing on just putting head tracking in traditional games, vs what they've done.
But do you have abs?

Rivet

10 milions quest for 6 billions of people on this planet is not really mainstream.

It's just a start. 10 million in one year shows there's a real interest here. Weight and size will get a lot better.

Quest 2 doesn't make me sweat. It's true it's a bit bulky, but with elite straps comfort is ok. It becomes like a big heavy hat.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Yeah I played and loved the one and only AAA game that exists on PSVR, so maybe I'll get to play another AAA game on PSVR2 :D

(tbh I never feel like putting the helmet on, don't know if that will change...)

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I looked at all the Oculus battery accessories out there and they're all terrible; even the official ones. 1.5 hours, 2 hours, etc.

Literally all you need is a $50 multi-purpose power brick charger. If you ever feel like playing for longer than 2-3 hours, then just put it in your pocket and run the cord under your shirt. Lasts probably 8 hours on top of the normal 2-3, and you don't have to wear it on your head. All the accessories seem like a waste of money to me.
A power brick in your pocket? To play games?

i ain't buying any facebook product.

if i get a headset it'll be a PSVR/Index or the Apple one that's coming soon (although it won't be for console/PC gaming).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not for me, a super immersive 3D screen without having to rework fantastic game design around it or touching stuff is far better than any VR game.

cool opinion but i disagree. i much prefer seated with a controller. standing, moving around and/or using motion controllers takes me out of the experience. and it just gets old after like 20 minutes. i get way more enjoyment when im seated.

edit: go ahead keep laughing Alexios Alexios since you have nothing intelligent to say. douche

To me VR is all about immersion, both audiovisual and physical. The coolest part for me when first trying VR wasn't the 3D depth (although that's essential of course), but the 1:1 controller tracking that makes you feel like you're really in that world and interacting with it. Just viewing regular games in 3D misses the point for me (although I'm not saying it doesn't add anything at all over playing on a TV).

But to each their own! There's a place for both types of experiences.

Last edited:

Lethal01

To me VR is all about immersion, both audiovisual and physical. The coolest part for me when first trying VR wasn't the 3D depth (although that's essential of course), but the 1:1 controller tracking that makes you feel like you're really in that world and interacting with it. Just viewing regular games in 3D misses the point for me (although I'm not saying it doesn't add anything at all over playing on a TV).

But to each their own! There's a place for both types of experiences.

There is room for both, which is why it sucks that so many companies always go for ground up VR experiences that are totally different from the actual game while adding no support to easily just play the normal game with a VR screen.

Von Hugh

Call it when it's @ 150 million like PS2/DS/Wii (which were still only a chunk of a much larger truly mainstream medium, gaming or whatever you wanna call it).

It's really just pr bs to call a potential 10 or so million mainstream (and pimping one product achieving that while trashing the rest like most of the media do solely for not doing the same as fast on the back of marketing and loss leading only FB $ can achieve only makes it worse for the medium).

Lol @ falling for Zuck's metaverse, it's not happening in your lifetime unless you backpedal and call everything you can do in separate games, products, web applications, etc., same as now, collectively the metaverse, which clearly isn't the matrix/ready player one like deal most people fantasize...

Not to mention all they have shown for it is a soulless, corporate, more limited version of RecRoom that doesn't hold a candle to existing social applications like VRChat/NeosVR (which cool as they are nobody tried to claim they're anywhere close to a metaverse before the term gained pr power).

You must be fun at parties.

Haggard

Banned
The VR cycle repeats.

Hype for a few months, then followed by a phase of life support due to lack of big budget software offerings, then hype again when new devices start rolling out.
Replace hype with "PR and Advertisement efforts" and you`re pretty close to the actual situation.

K' Dash

Well, I don't give a shit, but you do you.

How many of those 10 million units are actually being used? Most of my friends have a VR headset but they haven't used them after the initial "Wow" factor wore off.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'd rather put it in my pocket then wear it on my head. Personally, I can't play more than two hours of VR without feeling fatigued, so I don't need it. But if you want to marathon games, then Oculus runs out of battery after like 3 hours.

The Quest 2 Elite Battery Strap about doubles the battery life, and actually makes the headset more comfortable to wear because the additional weight is on the back of your head, making it more balanced (without it the headset is rather front-heavy).

Kokoloko85

True but Xbox 360 was mainstream with 60 million out of 6 billion people.
Quest Is definitely doing good for the VR industry and I think the momentum is good for PSVR2, its gonna be a slow build.
But I agree, it wont hit proper mainstream till its sensibly reduced, maybe PSVR3etc but Quest being wireless helps alot

Kokoloko85

Not mainstream yet but its building. I didnt buy PSVR 1 but I tried it and liked it. Ill be buying PSVR 2 day 1 tho

GymWolf

It's just a start. 10 million in one year shows there's a real interest here. Weight and size will get a lot better.

Quest 2 doesn't make me sweat. It's true it's a bit bulky, but with elite straps comfort is ok. It becomes like a big heavy hat.
What games do you play on your quest?! Because i tried thrill of the fight and i sweat much more than when i practise on the bag outside, same with other games where you move in full scale and a lot of movements, stuff like beat saber is not even on the same planet as stuff like a boxe game.

But i have a quest 1 so there is a small chance that they fixed some of the sweat problem in the next iteration.

Rivet

What games do you play on your quest?! Because i tried thrill of the fight and i sweat much more than when i practise on the bag outside, same with other games where you move in full scale and a lot of movements, stuff like beat saber is not even on the same planet as stuff like a boxe game.

But i have a quest 1 so there is a small chance that they fixed some of the sweat problem in the next iteration.

No I don't play boxing games or things like that until now, but Beat Saber, Table Tennis, Alyx... That may explain why I don't sweat while playing.

GymWolf

That's a solution that the casual is never gonna deal with, i think.

People has solution for any vr problem, from home builded systems that elevates cables to transform wired stuff into wireless stuff, external battery packs, even complicated solutions for multi-camera devices when you have no space in your room, but none of them are ok for the casual who just want to plug and play without a battery pack in his pocket.

brian0057

Banned
It's like people willingly forget that the Kinect was an abject failure for Microsoft even though it sold over three times as much units at a much lower price.
Calling VR "mainstream" is like calling the Wii U "mainstream". And I say this as the owner of one.

That's a solution that the casual is never gonna deal with, i think.

People has solution for any vr problem, from home builded systems that elevates cables to transform wired stuff into wireless stuff, external battery packs, even complicated solutions for multi-camera devices when you have no space in your room, but none of them are ok for the casual who just want to plug and play without a battery pack in his pocket.
Yeah, maybe so. It was just a suggestion for people. I already have a charger for my phone, and would rather not spend any additional money when my charger would work so much longer than any of the ones I saw offered. $0 wins, with better performance. If people want to spend $100 and wear the battery on their head, then maybe that is better for them.

GymWolf

Yeah, maybe so. It was just a suggestion for people. I already have a charger for my phone, and would rather not spend any additional money when my charger would work so much longer than any of the ones I saw offered. $0 wins, with better performance. If people want to spend $100 and wear the battery on their head, then maybe that is better for them.
I think that we need a paradigm shifting evolution on lithium batteries to solve this problem to the root, the tech is stagnating for so much long...

I vaguely remember years ago when they were talking about bio-batteries or some shit...

Life

Let's not forget mobile gaming is also mainstream...and we all know about the quality of those games.

Buggy Loop

Let's not forget mobile gaming is also mainstream...and we all know about the quality of those games.

Oculus has an awesome library of games. Wtf are you guys on about. So clueless. They’re also quite VR hardcore as in full movements, not just sitting experiences.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Part of VR’s problem is there aren’t enough AAA games, Nintendo wii sports was word of mouth 101 party game all the other games (Zelda) you played with a classic controller. I don’t hate VR but they should saw off all the cords. I played Firewall and realized shooters can happen in VR. There’s something wrong if Halo or COD hasn’t adopted VR. You could argue COD4 Wii point and shoot was really good.
Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Reflex-Edition

SLB1904

Banned
i have such a huge backlog of psvr, no way i would play all those games with those dildos, i knew psr2 was coming with better controls... now praying for psvr 2 patches

this looks so much better than the normal version.

edit: having said that i wouldn't play that lol

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
edit: having said that i wouldn't play that lol
That's an older vid, it's still pretty janky when it comes to transitioning back from cut scenes and third person situations etc. but it's better and should keep improving too since it's also been open sourced afaik. Although it probably won't ever be as polished as RE4VR in those aspects.

You can also play it in VR with standard third person camera or first person without hand controls. Mod is compatible with other RE Engine games like MHRise, DMC5 (no hand controls for these naturallly) and R3make.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
That's an older vid, it's still pretty janky when it comes to transitioning back from cut scenes and third person situations etc. but it's better and should keep improving too since it's also been open sourced afaik. Although it probably won't ever be as polished as RE4VR in those aspects.

You can also play it in VR with standard third person camera or first person without hand controls. Mod is compatible with other RE Engine games like MHRise, DMC5 (no hand controls for these naturallly) and R3make.

i mean that is just a mod, now imagine with publisher money behind it.

Romulus

It's like people willingly forget that the Kinect was an abject failure for Microsoft even though it sold over three times as much units at a much lower price.
Calling VR "mainstream" is like calling the Wii U "mainstream". And I say this as the owner of one.

Kinect wasn't sustainable because it was incapable of doing hardcore games like the Wii. VR does casual better than both, and hardcore games extremely well. The sales graph is also completely different. VR has always increased year after year since 2015. Theres literally no stopping it. So while it grows exponentially every year, its getting lighter, more comfortable, more powerful. Kinects sales graph immediately showed it would be a failure because it was surge and drop. FB, sony, etc are investing in VR because the sales graph is literally the opposite. Its constantly growing over years.

Last edited:
Didn't Kinect get 28 million? Edit 35 million by 2017. Long way to go yet.
Well, it was mostly bundles.

Quest 2 sold 10 millions in a year.

These threads are always filled with naysayers and their old, dumb arguments: "it's too expensive", "it's too bulky", "you look retarded", "I'd rather they focused on traditional gaming", etc.

VR is here and it will never go away, and it's not taking away from traditional gaming or anything else. It's its own market.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Dude, you've only tried VR with shit tracking like PSVR so all your opinions are 100% uninformed ass-umptions like the crap you proclaimed for Quest 2. Of course the best games will be those that utilize controls that actually work most of the time, how are you too dense to get it?

Oh well, you'll switch your tunes when it comes to "motion controls" (oh how I hate using "motion controls" in real life like, you know, naturally using my hands to do whatever I want, fun and engaging stuff in this three dimensional space we live in, lmao) when you get PSVR2, troll away.

You also try to project it to everyone else, proclaiming that's what "most" people want as you have done elsewhere, even though at the moment it's Quest driving mass adoption of VR and the vast majority of its offerings are things that utilize the controller/hand tracking, it's just funny is all.

If "most" people wanted that VR would have been massively adopted with the original CV1 that didn't even have hand controllers and came with an Xbox pad, with Oculus seeing that and focusing on just putting head tracking in traditional games, making VorpX THE killer app, vs what they did.

And that's what every company dabbling in VR does, Sony included. That's what drives adoption of VR, not glorified ultra widescreen 3D but the ability to easily get in and do shit you can't, yet still have universal controllers rather than lightguns/other by context devices which would be bad/costly.
The touch controllers came out as an accessory to the CV1 and included an extra sensor. Later releases bundled it in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom