• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vote for your best graphics of 2022

Best Graphics 2022

• Elden Ring

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • GT7

Votes: 34 8.0%
  • God of War: Ragnarok

Votes: 116 27.4%
  • Plague Tale: Requiem

Votes: 72 17.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 196 46.3%
  • Stray

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Bayonetta 3

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Scorn

Votes: 27 6.4%
  • The Last of Us Part I

Votes: 69 16.3%
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered PC

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Dying Light 2: Stay Human

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • The Quarry

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Hyper Demon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Votes: 22 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Eh, too many console exclusive games on that list tbh. If this is an art direction thread then I guess. Anyway, Plague Tale Requiem is the right answer.

EDIT: MS Flight > Maverick expansion for this year.

Why is there no MS Flight in the polls? Flight and Asobo killed it while supporting so much hardware and user control to play with that game simulation e.g. max PC graphics/hardware, peripherals to fly and log pilot licence hours with. It's aviation realism or arcade fun with just as much control over the extensive graphics and performance settings. I've had enough story and character drama. I play games, not watch TV.

The systems developed by Asobo and Xbox/MS/Azure are ground-breaking in terms of real-world integration to what you see and interact with in the game world e.g. again aviation realism, from live flight traffic to weather and geometry/mapping to visual detail. The sustained content and world building has been pretty immense from Asobo as well, the world update and nature elements are just stunning. Everything from the clouds and sun to wind or season all sum to more than a typical game experience, all contributing to the graphics and immersion while enabling a true open world to explore. The innovation of graphics/meta storage combined with processing/streaming to the end gamer experience is nothing short of revolutionary in how these games are developed and sustained.

One can easily imagine an Unreal interface/plugin to deliver an off the shelf world solution, perhaps customisable even e.g. real weather, locations, basic geo etc. Then the devs get to work on everything else e.g. filter so it looks alien instead or process the water to be goo instead or turn buildings into bosses etc etc. This world simulation is perhaps a road to far less developer and studio pipelines or costs allowing more resources to fill, detail and curate the worlds we play in. This would result in even higher graphics and world immersion than we currently enjoy and vote on. We have seen similar reuse of technology with the water and environment systems from Sea of Thieves, which is drop dead gorgeous for sunsets, sailing, waves, wind etc.

My daughter and I played this "game" during the pandemic and got to visit wonderous places we'd never reach given time and resources. One of my favourite family gaming moments on record.

Last edited:
Why is there no MS Flight in the polls? Flight and Asobo killed it while supporting so much hardware and user control to play with that game simulation e.g. max PC graphics/hardware, peripherals to fly and log pilot licence hours with. It's aviation realism or arcade fun with just as much control over the extensive graphics and performance settings. I've had enough story and character drama. I play games, not watch TV.

The systems developed by Asobo and Xbox/MS/Azure are ground-breaking in terms of real-world integration to what you see and interact with in the game world e.g. again aviation realism, from live flight traffic to weather and geometry/mapping to visual detail. The sustained content and world building has been pretty immense from Asobo as well, the world update and nature elements are just stunning. Everything from the clouds and sun to wind or season all sum to more than a typical game experience, all contributing to the graphics and immersion while enabling a true open world to explore. The innovation of graphics/meta storage combined with processing/streaming to the end gamer experience is nothing short of revolutionary in how these games are developed and sustained.

One can easily imagine an Unreal interface/plugin to deliver an off the shelf world solution, perhaps customisable even e.g. real weather, locations, basic geo etc. Then the devs get to work on everything else e.g. filter so it looks alien instead or process the water to be goo instead or turn buildings into bosses etc etc. This world simulation is perhaps a road to far less developer and studio pipelines or costs allowing more resources to fill, detail and curate the worlds we play in. This would result in even higher graphics and world immersion than we currently enjoy and vote on. We have seen similar reuse of technology with the water and environment systems from Sea of Thieves, which is drop dead gorgeous for sunsets, sailing, waves, wind etc.

My daughter and I played this "game" during the pandemic and got to visit wonderous places we'd never reach given time and resources. One of my favourite family gaming moments on record.

Did flight sim release again this year?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
In no particular order:

1) A Plague Tale Requiem
3) Horizon: Forbidden West
3) TLOU Part I

Gotham Knights
laugh-harder-oh.gif

Kupfer

I don't want to vote because I despise the game that deserves the title "Best Graphics 2022". It's internally rotten, loveless, shallow, boring, rough and has the most annoying and objectively worst characters I've ever had to experience, but unfortunately also one of the most beautiful game worlds I've seen - even if it's irrelevant to the game. I don't want my vote to be one that makes anyone think "Best graphics of 2022? I have to buy that game".

It rhymes with Spiegeleisen : Unstiffen Quest

Last edited:

Roufianos

HFW for me though Ragnarok and TLoU P1 are pretty stunning also.

Haven't played Plague Tale yet though I'm sure it's beautiful.

GTA6, MGS6 and Half Life 3 looked pretty swank also.

Last edited:
I haven't played every game on that list, but in my opinion GoW Ragnarok is the most beautiful game hands down.

It's not perfect, but the sublime marriage of top tier game design (incessant hidden loading screens aside) and stunning visuals, plus rock solid performance, make it my pick.

Special mentions go to TLOU Remaster, Spiderman, and GT7.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The horizon hate really gets out of hand in this parts

Really hard to take any of you serious

The water looks amazing. And on a technical level it's definitely the most impressive game this year.

But outside of some cool setpieces/areas like the waves here, on an artistic level it's nausea inducing for me.

Games have gotten so good on a technical level that at this point art direction and whatever the videogame equivalent of "cinematography" is, are just as, if not more important, than highly detailed character models or environments or water physics. The art direction in Horizon 2 is oftentimes terrible in my opinion.

The visuals remind me of a modern day version of Perfect Dark Zero or Kameo: Elements of Power, where the devs just threw everything and the kitchen sink at it so they could go "look at all these shiny effects!" despite all of those effects oftentimes amounting to a really ugly looking game, artistically. It's just everything turned up to 11.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
The water looks amazing. And on a technical level it's definitely the most impressive game this year.

But outside of some cool setpieces/areas like the waves here, on an artistic level it's nausea inducing for me.

Games have gotten so good on a technical level that at this point art direction and whatever the videogame equivalent of "cinematography" is, are just as, if not more important, than highly detailed character models or environments or water physics. The art direction in Horizon 2 is oftentimes terrible in my opinion.

The visuals remind me of a modern day version of Perfect Dark Zero or Kameo: Elements of Power, where the devs just threw everything and the kitchen sink at it so they could go "look at all these shiny effects!" despite all of those effects oftentimes amounting to a really ugly looking game, artistically. It's just everything turned up to 11.
Your opinion is trash. Horizon gorgeous through and through. The mix of colours in every level is unmatched

SLB1904

Banned
Okay I’m changing my vote now, holy crap
This isnt the most impressive part about this game. The hight res texture go further in to distance.
As soon as you leave to forbidden west your jaw will drop. The first area isn't impressive at all which is the tutorial area. Once you leave the gates dear lord.

Fredrik

This isnt the most impressive part about this game. The hight res texture go further in to distance.
As soon as you leave to forbidden west your jaw will drop. The first area isn't impressive at all which is the tutorial area. Once you leave the gates dear lord.
I was around that tree house/city area when I paused it to play Elden Ring, thought that looked amazing but holy crap that water tech might be the best I’ve ever seen. I’m thinking I need to pause GOWR now to give HFW another chance.

tommib

Don’t worry, my man. You’re not alone. Just feel that warmth in your heart.

SLB1904

Banned
I was around that tree house/city area when I paused it to play Elden Ring, thought that looked amazing but holy crap that water tech might be the best I’ve ever seen. I’m thinking I need to pause GOWR now to give HFW another chance.
Yeah stop playing due to gow. Now that I finish that I'm going back playing it. Honestly I missed it while I was playing gow. It hit me why I liked the first so much. The world is gorgeous. Just to explore. Some nice areas. And the day and night transition looks so gorgeous. And to not talking about the new machines. Some vicious kangaroos lol and new annoying flying types. Also the board game is pretty fun.

Last edited:

Fredrik

If you think that is impressive, check out the water in Sea of Thieves. Holy shit. Especially during the storms.
It’s the whole package with HFW, SoT have nice water but the rest? Nah.

Another game with nice water is AC Odyssey, actually the whole game makes me smile, it’s winter more than half the year where I’m at, always love sunny clear water and green lush nature in games 👌

Kvally

Banned
It’s the whole package with HFW, SoT have nice water but the rest? Nah.

Another game with nice water is AC Odyssey, actually the whole game makes me smile, it’s winter more than half the year where I’m at, always love sunny clear water and green lush nature in games 👌
Well, yeah, it's a different art style. SoT is more cartoony. The water almost seems out of place in the game compared to the characters and sea life. But I was just talking about the water.

Fredrik

Yeah stop playing due to gow. Now that I finish that I'm going back playing it. Honestly I missed it while I was playing gow. It hit me why I liked the first so much. The world is gorgeous. Just to explore. Some nice areas. And the day and night transition looks so gorgeous. And to not talking about the new machines. Some vicious kangaroos lol and new annoying flying types. Also the board game is pretty fun.
Gah! I have so little time for gaming 😞
I’m still only about 30 hours into GOWR, mostly loving the game but at times it feels like it drags on too much with slow stuff, both hated and loved the IW area, super pretty but sooo slooow. Just did Freya’s personal quests where the D&D boss fight popped up (How awesome was that?! Just perfection). Guessing there is more than half of it left? I’ll be finished in late December I guess. 😕

Kvally

Banned
Gah! I have so little time for gaming 😞
I’m still only about 30 hours into GOWR, mostly loving the game but at times it feels like it drags on too much with slow stuff, both hated and loved the IW area, super pretty but sooo slooow. Just did Freya’s personal quests where the D&D boss fight popped up (How awesome was that?! Just perfection). Guessing there is more than half of it left? I’ll be finished in late December I guess. 😕
I feel like that where I am at in the game, Kratos and Freya are gonna fuck like rabbits.

damidu

horizon for me, as much as i love ragnarok graphics wise it shows its cross-gen roots much more than horizon does

Technically, Elden Ring is janky as hell but I will admit that it has some truly gorgeous art design and can look absolutely phenomenal in screenshots.

Last edited:
As much as I love the water in horizon and sea of thieves - it bums me out that it’s still not an actual fluid sim situation. When is that gonna be in playable videogames? I’d take it over raytracing any day

Top Bottom