• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition won't back down to negative feedback on Saints Row reboot trailer - says its just a shock reaction

R6Rider

Gold Member
It wasn't just RimJobs that got nuked, Freckle Bitches is now FBS and the poster girl got covered up with what looks like the usual dumbass hairstyle:
E96GdQ5WEAE-pRl.jpg

Too edgy for modern day I guess.
Shit, even Ubisoft had good names for stuff in Watch Dogs 2. The lifts were branded as Climax.

They really should have called this new Saint's Row something else.

GymWolf

Gamescom full list of winners (not a joke):
  • Best Announcement – Saints Row
  • Best Trailer – Saints Row
  • Best Action Adventure Game – Elden Ring
  • Best Action Game – Far Cry 6
  • Best Family Game – Super Dungeon Maker
  • Best Indie – Lost in Random
  • Best RPG – Elden Ring
  • Best Simulation – Park Beyond
  • Best Sports – Game Riders Republic
  • Best Strategy – Age of Empires IV
  • Best Multiplayer Game – Halo Infinite
  • Best Support – Apex Legends
  • Most original game – Dice Legacy
  • Best Microsoft Xbox Game – Halo Infinite
  • Best Nintendo Switch Game – Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Best PC Game – Syberia: The World Before
  • Best Sony PlayStation Game – Elden Ring
  • Best Line-up – Bandai Namco
  • Best of Gamescom – Elden Ring
Was the jury composed by volition devs or what?!

Last edited:

GymWolf

It wasn't just RimJobs that got nuked, Freckle Bitches is now FBS and the poster girl got covered up with what looks like the usual dumbass hairstyle:
E96GdQ5WEAE-pRl.jpg

Why keeping the fbs acronym if there is no bitch or freckles in the new one?! If you have to ruin the joke at least go all the way in...they don't even have the spine nor the talent to make something completely new, they shit on the older games but they don't have the balls to not rely on the old things.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to see what is so woke with the game? Especially woke enough to spit the vitriol seen here? Does having non white characters mean woke now? I don't get it.

Do you people realize you're acting like the bizarro of the the woke crowd you hate so much? Constantly picking apart everything and getting offended by wokeness, phantom or real. It's bizarre behavior.

WTF are you talking about?

There are more non-white characters in previous SR games than this one. So there's no meaningful argument about diversity with respect to this series. If anything the series has become more and more white with every release.

The accusations of "woke-ness" concerning this game have nothing to do with the values extreme leftist "woke" folk nominally use in their virtue-signalling and much more to do with the fact that the visual design of the cast is a clear and faithful representation of the woke-person extreme left stereotype. The game's cast is pretty much made up of a collection of the average far-left loon you see arguing on social media.

That the devs think this series audience would have any interest in playing as such boring and absurd caricatures is what is most depressing about how disconnected Volition has become from the gamers who have been avid fans of this series over the years.

Gamescom full list of winners (not a joke):
  • Best Announcement – Saints Row
  • Best Trailer – Saints Row
  • Best Action Adventure Game – Elden Ring
  • Best Action Game – Far Cry 6
  • Best Family Game – Super Dungeon Maker
  • Best Indie – Lost in Random
  • Best RPG – Elden Ring
  • Best Simulation – Park Beyond
  • Best Sports – Game Riders Republic
  • Best Strategy – Age of Empires IV
  • Best Multiplayer Game – Halo Infinite
  • Best Support – Apex Legends
  • Most original game – Dice Legacy
  • Best Microsoft Xbox Game – Halo Infinite
  • Best Nintendo Switch Game – Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Best PC Game – Syberia: The World Before
  • Best Sony PlayStation Game – Elden Ring
  • Best Line-up – Bandai Namco
  • Best of Gamescom – Elden Ring

Mario + Rabbids as best switch game is infinitely more depressing.

Danknugz

E96GdQ5WEAE-pRl.jpg

I don’t usually get involved in threads like this but this is just straight up artistic censorship. Apparently devs can’t even make 4th grade level “dirty jokes” now. No words.

People just aren't allowed to laugh any more.

From my own perspective the biggest problem here was just how boring it looked and how it came across in interactions between the characters. Was it supposed to be funny or not?

Given what Saints Row was, extremely self aware, calling it Saints Row: The Reboot wouldn’t have been a bad start. Hey, even making a part of the plot to how shit it is to reboot something (the saints gang itself by infiltrators of the bad guys) could of been something to start with.

Sgt.Asher

It's like reverse parody. Like they decided to remove every joke from game.
Reminds me of borderlands 3 "jokes". The writers had a weird obsession with saying "turd". By no means were the first two comedic genius but i could get a chuckle. With 3 it was anti-humor.
Looks like saints rowboot is doing the same.

As much i like devs pushing their vision, who would respect games like this being done by committee, is like the complete opposite of auteur. (they even admitted to changing the game based on a committee in the long trailer with interviews, complete bitches)

This is not even close to something like TLoU2, there at least what people claimed to be woke made sense in context and was all in line with the vision of the director.

Not that i care too much if Saints Row bombs hard, they were already doing the bare minimum to separate themselves from similar games, now it literally looks like watch dogs or some Ubisoft game, one of those Ubisandboxes that all look the same.

Also this, people have short memory i guess.
Did they confirm it was done by committee? I would love to hear them say that.
Not enough white people in trailer
Girls got boy cut hair style. They don't look attractive.
No revealing clothes.
No dildos and all.

THEY HAVE GONE WOKE
Yes. Yes they have gone woke. I’m glad you are aware of this fact.
Bruv, that can’t be the boxart?! That…doesn’t inspire confidence.

What I don't understand is there isn't anyone at the company pointing out that a woke hipster game will get great reviews from other woke hipesters, but the world is a lot bigger than that and wokeness is mostly a US phenomenon. Gamers in Eastern Europe, South America, the Middle East and Asia will look at the trailer with different eyes. That global audience is less likely to buy US games if they increasingly cater to a woke US hipsters. The foreign market couldn't give a rat's ass about female representation and/or the importance of having butch women and effeminate gay men in games, they see those elements as huge turn offs.
Yes, we don't care about this bullshit and we hate it when is forced on us. It isn't not like we ever saw a real shemale or believe they even exist. All we saw is on the internet and most of us think they are fake photoshop 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. And WTF with all these girls who shave the side and keep pink hair on the top?😂😂😂

Laptop1991

I liked the older saints row games 3 included and from what ive seen ill enjoy the game, yeah the characters arnt as good as the old saints, but i like the gameplay from what ive seen and the different districts they have made.

Just finished watching the leaked footage and I’m not as sour about the whole ordeal as before but, still not impressed. More than anything, the footage highlights how out of touch and brain dead Volition is. They could have showed this stuff off in their first or second showing and things probably would have been different. What’s worse than that though, this footage contained little to no pandering and diversity nonsense. It’s almost as if creating and then presenting a gameplay showcase might elicit enthusiasm from gamers!

anthraticus

Banned
Only game I like or give a shit about in this series is 2.

This looks awful, btw....using woke millenial protagonists to suck up to a younger audience.

1O1FDkt.jpg

Last edited:

Blackage

Watched the leaked footage, new cast sucks, but it also looks like one of those games that'll be too big to fail due to all the money they're throwing at it unless they have gamebreaking Cyberpunk-tier bugs @ lauunch or the gun-play just doesn't work.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
E96GdQ5WEAE-pRl.jpg

Dam...
Saints row or GTA going politically correct really takes away what makes these games so good. And its not about being left or right, its about humour.

As for the main characters ironically the issue with them is that they lack diversity. Its really uncommon that such different people would be similar ages and have similar fashion.

Making saints less adult themed and lack diversity is just bad design. hopefully the toilet humour is not all gone. The lack of diversity in the main characters is a poor creative choice, even if you make them all young its does not mean they have to lack individuality. Just look at jessis crew in breaking bad, jessie, badger, combo and skinny peat are radically different despite being of similer age.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Saints row should take the piss out fluid gender pronouns and 3yr old trans kids.
It should have a story line where a bunch of anti vaxers die from the virus they dont get vaxed from, it should have a bunch of mexicans slide through the gaps of a newly built boarder wall.

It should take the piss out of everything.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

LOL just saw this trailer and it’s hilarious!

saints row always was about crime lords and the representation of the criminal underworld in this is from what is shown is just laughable.

If it was in the real world the fools in this would be overrun and injected into sex trafficking by real organaized crime.

What kind of crime you gonna commit in this? Start at jaywalking and work your way up to insider trading?

I especially laughed when one of them said they don’t want to gain by violent means as it is too uneconomical… WTF is he then going to do when his competition doesn’t comply and tries to harm his business sue them or go to cops? LOL come on, video games are not real but supposed to maintain some consistency with reality to be believable and immersive, this game clearly is shitting on that fact and it is hilarious to watch this train wreck.

Top Bottom