• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vizio to release OLED TVs that feature Freesync and 4K/120Hz using Pro Gaming Engine

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It comes from cnet, so information is sparse and may not be completely accurate, but it's great to see another manufacturer jumping on board the OLED train, which should drive prices down even further.

The best part for gamers:
Like the 2020 LCD-based models it announced, Vizio's OLED TV will include the company's own IQ Ultra Processor for picture processing along with a "ProGaming Engine" with AMD's FreeSync and 4K/120Hz compatibility. It will also offer Vizio's SmartCast 4.0 for streaming and media playback.

Vizio has yet to confirm whether the OLED panel will be sourced from LG Display, but it seems likely given that company's domination of the OLED market. Both LG and Sony use LG Display panels.

Having said that, I doubt it will make me want to replace my C9 any time soon. :)

Last edited:
The more on offer the better 👍 And if it brings the price to more people 🏁

Are there still plans afoot for a smaller size range in oled TVs ?

brother picked up a c9 just after Xmas and seems to be loving it (he heard that the new tv range aren’t making a huge tech or screen jump this year. Guess CES will make him happy 😃 , or sad ☹️ 😂)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I have to ask, why would you want an OLED TV any smaller than 55"? You're paying for the absolute highest quality TV available and unless you're sitting in front of it like a PC monitor, you're not going to get the full benefit of the resolution and image quality.

Dunno, just seems odd to me. Like buying a Ferrari and only driving it to the local store.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to ask, why would you want an OLED TV any smaller than 55"? You're paying for the absolute highest quality TV available and unless you're sitting in front of it like a PC monitor, you're not going to get the full benefit of the resolution and image quality.

Dunno, just seems odd to me. Like buying a Ferrari and only driving it to the local store.
For a lot of people it's a space issue.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
For a lot of people it's a space issue.

I guess I could see it, though I still think it's weird that people would be buying top-of-the-line, $1000+ dollar TVs while living in a building that they can barely fit the thing in. 55" isn't that much wall space. I'd upgrade the accommodation first but maybe that's just me.

dolabla

The more on offer the better 👍 And if it brings the price to more people 🏁

brother picked up a c9 just after Xmas and seems to be loving it (he heard that the new tv range aren’t making a huge tech or screen jump this year. Guess CES will make him happy 😃 , or sad ☹ 😂)

According to this, supposedly LG will announce the 48" CX model at CES. I posted it in the OLED owners thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/neogaf-oled-owners-thread.1513024/page-6#post-256425439

This place posted an update earlier and are saying the 48" OLED will indeed fall in the C series (CX).

Following our first publication on the Oled LG 2020 TV range (see our news (UPDATE) CES 20> Oled Ultra HD 4K TV range 2020: LG BX, LG CX, LG EX, LG GX and LG WX ) , we now know a little more about the diagonals that will be available for each series.

Google Translate version:

dolabla

I'm one of the ones dying to get the 48" model. It's kind of both for me. I don't really have the room and that type size, 48/49", is a sweet spot. My 49" Sony X900E has been great.

i would say choice being the main reason. then available space and cost running close behind

I can see where you are coming from though 👍

AV

I'm one of the ones dying to get the 48" model. It's kind of both for me. I don't really have the room and that type size, 48/49", is a sweet spot. My 49" Sony X900E has been great.
i would say choice being the main reason. then available space and cost running close behind

I can see where you are coming from though 👍

Yeah, fair enough. I got a 65" OLED three years ago (cost a pretty penny) and would never go any smaller now, but it does take up the majority of one wall. People get a bit intimidated when they see it for the first time, it's overwhelming when you put something like Planet Earth on.

To be honest, I was dead set on a 65” oled.

But the chance to get a cheap 55”, was too good to pass up.

Very happy with my choice though 😊.

But I’m not everyone and it’s all in the eye of the beholder

dolabla

Yeah, fair enough. I got a 65" OLED three years ago (cost a pretty penny) and would never go any smaller now, but it does take up the majority of one wall. People get a bit intimidated when they see it for the first time, it's overwhelming when you put something like Planet Earth on.

Yeah, I have a buddy who has a 65" Samsung. That thing is massive to me, lol.

The only thing with the smaller tv's (under 55") is finding a tv that doesn't have removed features (120hz panel). The market just sucks. Sony is one of the rare ones that seems to still keep the same features as its bigger sizes (120hz panel, etc.). Samsung is horrible about this. Earlier this year, I thought I'd like to try a Samsung Q60 43" and I found out it only had a 60hz panel (while its bigger counterparts, 55" and above, had 120hz) with tons of removed features like FreeSync, etc. It also had horrible picture quality with light bleed all over the screen.

I think 55 inch the perfect size for most medium to small sized rooms in the US... used to have one in my living room but eventually upgraded to a 65 and moved the 55 in the bedroom. Years ago I would have thught otherwise, but I think it has a lot to do with how thin these are, so you can really push it back close to the wall which doesn't make it quite as over bearing as a thicker TV would.

Anyway I hope they are nice and affordable so more people will adopt the technology so it can advance faster and further, but I'm sticking with LG.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
With the price of HD TVs dropping so fast these new TVs with freesync will hopefully follow this prior to the ps5 and new Xbox are released.

Psajdak

Banned
1080p is dead. Why would they be?
No real reason, I was simply talking about what I think, since I still consider 1080p perfect for most of released content of any kind.
4K is wonderful, but I have yet to really get into gaming that supports it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No real reason, I was simply talking about what I think, since I still consider 1080p perfect for most of released content of any kind.
4K is wonderful, but I have yet to really get into gaming that supports it.
All PC gaming supports 4K. I can't think of a single game that is prohibited from running at that resolution.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I guess I could see it, though I still think it's weird that people would be buying top-of-the-line, $1000+ dollar TVs while living in a building that they can barely fit the thing in. 55" isn't that much wall space. I'd upgrade the accommodation first but maybe that's just me.

It is weird. You're not wrong.

Just because you live in a small space doesn't mean you don't care about quality... Also not everywhere is like America where the average living space is large. Apartments around me average like 650-800sqft for a 1 bedroom. Some countries that number is half of that.

Plus some people just prefer smaller displays. I'm not a fan of anything bigger then 50 inches so currently OLED is out of the question. My ideal size is 43 inches with my living situation, and if it wasn't for the fact I most likely have a upcoming move to Asia I would jump immediately at a 43-48 inch model.

CamHostage

Sounds like a nice display; I love Freesync and OLED, 4k/120 are just bonuses to me if I can get those two elements in a new TV.

Still miss Vizio's 3D though. They were healthy adopters of 3D and even had one of the few Passive 3D TVs on offer. I realize not much uses 3D anymore, but Passive 3D was a really nice, cheap feature not too long ago and would be even better with 4k/120 (crosstalk and per-eye resolution would be massively improved over 1080p offerings.) Even Active 3D, which AFAIK is just alternating the oriented frames in tune with synched glasses and thus shouldn't require much custom build aside from the radio to control the glasses, isn't even an add-on option anymore. My 3D copy of Alita (not 4K sadly, since 4K 3D doesn't exist and I guess really wouldn't be visible as "4K" until 8K sets come out anyway) has only one sad old yet trusty 3D TV in my home that it can be played it on, and eventually, that disc will become a useless coaster.

Just because you live in a small space doesn't mean you don't care about quality... Also not everywhere is like America where the average living space is large. Apartments around me average like 650-800sqft for a 1 bedroom. Some countries that number is half of that.

Given that I spend the bulk of my time when at home hanging out in my bedroom instead of the communal living room where the home theater set-up sits (and I imagine that's true for a huge number of media consumers,) yeah, I very much agree that small-form screens are seriously important. If I hogged the central TV every time a 50-hour RPG launched, I'd have a real rooming situation.

Last edited:

AV

Plus some people just prefer smaller displays. I'm not a fan of anything bigger then 50 inches so currently OLED is out of the question. My ideal size is 43 inches with my living situation, and if it wasn't for the fact I most likely have a upcoming move to Asia I would jump immediately at a 43-48 inch model.

It's not about not caring about the quality, it's that you're paying out the ass for *the best* quality which you're not actually going to get the benefit of if you're sitting an average distance from a, say, 43" 4K OLED TV. 4K becomes worthless at a far enough distance, less so for OLED, but if you're losing details, you're losing the colour and vibrance and depth in those details too. Also, I'm a Brit currently living in a small flat. Unless you're living in a literal closet, you can make room.

You're in luck though, I think they announced a smaller model today.

Karak

A oled color/deep blacks handling is not at all restricted to size.
Even when I do tv testing that's noticeable. 1 inch, 10 feet from the tv it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

CamHostage

A oled color/deep blacks handling is not at all restricted to size.
Even when I do tv testing that's noticeable. 1 inch, 10 feet from the tv it doesn't matter.

Right, I'm not sure what the specific color/contrast specs of its OLED are, but even a small iWatch has the equivalent of a Retina screen.

PerfectDark

Banned
55" TV's are not gaming TV's. I find 43" 4k to be the perfect size gaming TV. I find 27" 1440p to be the perfect size gaming Monitor. I have a 55" TV in my living room for movies and TV. I don't want bigger. My recliner in my game room is right next to my TV. I sit about 5-6ft away from my TV. I could never game 15ft or more away from a TV. I would get destroyed in fps games.

Why can't companys make good 43"-49" gaming Tv's with freesync 120hz.

Skyr

55" TV's are not gaming TV's. I find 43" 4k to be the perfect size gaming TV. I find 27" 1440p to be the perfect size gaming Monitor. I have a 55" TV in my living room for movies and TV. I don't want bigger. My recliner in my game room is right next to my TV. I sit about 5-6ft away from my TV. I could never game 15ft or more away from a TV. I would get destroyed in fps games.

Why can't companys make good 43"-49" gaming Tv's with freesync 120hz.
It’s your lucky day...

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lg-announces-new-8k-tvs-and-48-oled-tv-oh-yeah-babe.1518820

Top Bottom