• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Community Games Visual Novel Community

Guilty_AI

Apr 12, 2020

A community to discuss visual novels with other fellow members

Never played one? No prob, here's some recommendations that can be great start for beginners of the genre:

-VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
-Pyre
-The Silver Case
-Long Live the Queen
-13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
( Danjin44 Danjin44 GETT ITT)

If you're willing to plunge into a more "classic" style of VNs, one that doesn't shy away from being interactive books, feel free to try one of those:

-Steins;Gate
-Higurashi When They Cry ch 1-8
-Umineko When They Cry Questions & Answer arcs
-The House in Fata Morgana
-Wonderful Everyday: Down the Rabbit-Hole
(+18 and Censored Steam version)
-YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story (+18 and Censored Steam version)

Broke? On top of that, an exemplary citizen that would never, ever, consider downloading pirated software? Or maybe just not in the mood to spend any money on this?
Fear not my child, because there's some you can get for the best price of absolutely nothing

-Katawa Shoujo (+18)
-Narcissu 1st & 2nd
-Doki Doki Literature Club
-Higurashi When They Cry Ch 1
(temporary giveaway until we get an effective Covid-19 vaccine, in other words, not much longer hopefully)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

Guilty_AI

Apr 12, 2020
But it's actually a complete story and not a rushed mess at the end.

Give it a play, it's very much worth it.
I probably will someday, if anything because its a classic.
I'm just with one foot behind because his stories usually become ludicrous halfway through.

Guilty_AI

Apr 12, 2020
So, just reinforcing Ch 1 of Higurashi is currently free, and probably not for much longer.
I've been reading the series and i highly recommend people should at least try it out

GOG version

Last edited:

Witchilich

Sep 8, 2020
Around a decade ago I started playing Visual Novels. I picked up a lot but didnt finish any. Now I am getting into VNs again.
AkabeSoft2 VN's are very popular but I especially liked this one
G-senjou no Maou | vndb
Innocent Grey makes some good detective stories like the Kara no Shoujo trilogy and Cartagra.
Kara no Shoujo | vndb
Cartagra ~Tsuki Kurui no Yamai~ | vndb
Shikoku no Sharnoth and its sequels - steampunk shoujo story
Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow- | vndb
Ever17 - vndb admins favorite
Ever17 -The Out of Infinity- | vndb
Also 07th expansion's When They Cry series.

Reactions: Guilty_AI

Guilty_AI

Apr 12, 2020
Around a decade ago I started playing Visual Novels. I picked up a lot but didnt finish any. Now I am getting into VNs again.
AkabeSoft2 VN's are very popular but I especially liked this one
G-senjou no Maou | vndb
Innocent Grey makes some good detective stories like the Kara no Shoujo trilogy and Cartagra.
Kara no Shoujo | vndb
Cartagra ~Tsuki Kurui no Yamai~ | vndb
Shikoku no Sharnoth and its sequels - steampunk shoujo story
Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow- | vndb
Ever17 - vndb admins favorite
Ever17 -The Out of Infinity- | vndb
Also 07th expansion's When They Cry series.
Ever17 seems to be good, though its too bad it seemingly isn't available for sale anywhere, so ☠️

Reactions: Witchilich
Nov 8, 2018
Nice thread. The only VNs I played before are Ace Attorney Dual Destinies and Virtue’s Last Resort. I’m gonna play Zero Time Dilemma after I finish Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. And then maybe I’ll get Jake Hunter.

Reactions: Guilty_AI

Guilty_AI

Apr 12, 2020
Nice thread. The only VNs I played before are Ace Attorney Dual Destinies and Virtue’s Last Resort. I’m gonna play Zero Time Dilemma after I finish Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. And then maybe I’ll get Jake Hunter.
I really recommend trying the first chapter of Higurashi too.
As i said before its currently free to own forever, so you can just take it and leave it in your backlog until you decide to try it one day.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract
Nov 8, 2018
I really recommend trying the first chapter of Higurashi too.
As i said before its currently free to own forever, so you can just take it and leave it in your backlog until you decide to try it one day.
How long does it take to beat? Both the first chapter and the whole game. My main concern nowadays isn’t games themselves but how little time I manage to free up to play.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Guilty_AI

Apr 12, 2020
How long does it take to beat? Both the first chapter and the whole game. My main concern nowadays isn’t games themselves but how little time I manage to free up to play.
Just the first chapter should be quite short, i suppose somewhere between 10 to 20 hours, really depends on how fast you read.
However, the entire novel is composed of 8 chapters in total and i suppose the entire thing can take more than 100 hours.

I should mention though that there is basically no gameplay, so even if the entire thing is long, it isn't necessarily wasting your time with side-content, gameplay segments or anything of the sort. Its pure linear storytelling, pretty much a sound novel.

Also, each chapter is sort of a quasi-self-contained story*, and this makes it really easy to manage your time with it.
You can for example finish ch1 in a few nights, then start ch2 a month later without feeling lost or anything since its kinda of a new story altogether.

*basically each chapter starts over the story as if nothing from the previous chapters actually happened, though there are certain "connections" you can make between them where the events of one arc can be explained by whats revealed in another arc.

Last edited: