• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter X eSport announced

Esppiral

Dead or alive 2 is fast, or the DOA series for that matter.

Edit, corrected cuz insane misspellings

Last edited:

Miles708

If you're used to 2D fighters, all 3D fighters are 'slow'. I don't think VF5FS is slow though. Tekken is generally a lot slower.
Yeah I agree.
I clearly remember watching some replays of my matches and thinking "That seemes so much slower while I was playing".

It's not exlcusive to VF, but your mind goes in hyperdrive during the matches, the time slows down and you only realize it when looking at replays aftwerwards :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ascend

Desde or alive 2 Israel fast, or the DOA series for that matter.
Yeah DOA is mostly the fastest 3D fighter out there. DOA4 was the fastest.

Unfortunately, DOA's mechanics make the games too random. When you lose in most fighting games, you can know what your mistakes were and where to improve. When you lose in DOA, most of the time it simply makes you feel unlucky.

Clarissa

Banned
Yeah DOA is mostly the fastest 3D fighter out there. DOA4 was the fastest.

Unfortunately, DOA's mechanics make the games too random. When you lose in most fighting games, you can know what your mistakes were and where to improve. When you lose in DOA, most of the time it simply makes you feel unlucky.
I really dislike the counter system in doa. I wish they'd do away with that in doa 7 or at least change it up.

If you're used to 2D fighters, all 3D fighters are 'slow'. I don't think VF5FS is slow though. Tekken is generally a lot slower.
Wait what? I mainly play Tekken (when playing Fighters) and it's not slow at all.
I think I have to watch VF gameplay, lol.

NT80

Yes I play Tekken, a game that is very much alive and active, not dead. 😊
That's what I do now. I used to play a lot of VF but in the last few years Tekken is the only 3d fighter that's going strong and getting a lot of support. I do like to compare the two systems and I think Tekken 7 is a more complicated game than VF5FS.

About VF's speed. It's a game that can be feel quite slow and clunky to new players but as you and your opponents get better it gradually speeds up to dramatic levels. The VF4 series was probably the quickest of all 3d fighters at high level. I remember watching the on disc replays of VF4 and VF4Evo of top players and being amazed at how much quicker it was compared to my own play. That motivated me to stick with it.

Togh

Here's a translation of the interview:

And here's some key points from SegaBits:

According to Yu Suzuki, if he ever created a Virtua Fighter 6 he would want to simplify and improve the controls and interfaces further. According to Yu Suzuki, he prefers the players to be focused on tactics instead of mastering inputs. Yu thinks this would broaden the user base. This is something that a lot of other game studios are playing with now and has the community mixed. For example Riot Games is working on a fighting game with no inputs, but uses ‘cool down’ mechanics for powerful moves.

Harada also complained about how he gets consistent request from fighting game fans on twitter (hey, that’s us) about a new Virtua Fighter because SEGA never attends these fighting game events ; so all fans seem to direct their request to him. He even mentioned that a lot of fans are requesting a Tekken x Virtua Fighter crossover, if that’s what it takes to get a new Virtua Fighter.

During the interview Harada also brings up something he talked on twitter about before, a deal Namco had floating around at management level where Namco would have added Virtua Fighter characters into a potential Dreamcast Tekken title, which never happened.

At the end of the interview, the interviewer ask Yu Suzuki and Katsuhiro Harada to go to SEGA and request they both make Virtua Fighter 6, with Yu Suzuki responding, “If you need me, just say the word.”

Togh

It's also in Yakuza (i think it's 4).

But fuck that man, i wanted a proper VF5 PS4 port, not some bullshit where i have to play some adventure game, then go to arcade then to play VF5, fuck that. In that case i still rather play it on ps3.
On Yakuza 6, and now that it was released on Steam, it's the first and (for the moment) only way to play it on PC without emulation and arcade loaders. I just wish it had a way to play with others online (like, you go on the arcade and search for opponents or connect with friends that want to play), but at least the base game is there

NT80

I hope this is in addition to Virtua x Esports and not what the new game they announced was. If all that is is VF5FS for current consoles that would be huge let down. At the very least I'd hope it was a new overhauled version of VF5 with new stuff like VF5R and VFFS were.

Aggelos

A new register was recently made by Sega: Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown

So it sounds like it's the 3rd upgrade of Virtua Fighter 5 (VF5 -> VF5 R -> VF5 Final Showdown -> VF5 Ultimate Showdown), only now it will be geared towards e-Sports.
Or it's just a typo mistake, and it's VF5 Final Showdown reworked for PS4 as a stand-alone release.

Sega, for instance, went ahead and remastered Shenmue I & II for PS4. They might do this with VF5, into the bargain.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bet the series doesn’t generate a lot of money anymore and it’s too good of a fighting game to forget. Tweak the last version for modern consoles and see if it’s a hit. I’d definitely be on board with VF5 Ultimate edition.

MrMephistoX

On Yakuza 6, and now that it was released on Steam, it's the first and (for the moment) only way to play it on PC without emulation and arcade loaders. I just wish it had a way to play with others online (like, you go on the arcade and search for opponents or connect with friends that want to play), but at least the base game is there
Which Yakuza has VF4 on PC? Might be nostalgia but I always loved that one. Guess my dream if this sells is for them to a VF Collection...but I do like the fact that on Yakuza 2 Kiwami (not sure if on others?) you can just jump into Vf2 two player from the main menu And fight sticks work. Kinda pissed they didnt do the same for Virtual On but oh well I have the Superior Oratario Tangram on XBL.

Last edited:

Togh

Which Yakuza has VF4 on PC? Might be nostalgia but I always loved that one. Guess my dream if this sells is for them to a VF Collection...but I do like the fact that on Yakuza 2 Kiwami (not sure if on others?) you can just jump into Vf2 two player from the main menu And fight sticks work. Kinda pissed they didnt do the same for Virtual On but oh well I have the Superior Oratario Tangram on XBL.
None. The only VFs that had appeared on Yakuza games are 2 and 5: https://yakuza.fandom.com/wiki/Club_SEGA#Minigames

SSfox

STADIA EXCLUSIVE !!!!

More details here
Just kidding, bitch ! Video stream on march 27th.
fap fap fap fap

You had me for 2 seconds.. hhhhhhh of course it's fake, even Sega can't come with such dumb decision.

can't wait for 27th, gonna be long 6 days.

I have a feeling this game my be coming on Japan first with non worldwide release, which kinda sucks, but huh for now i'm try to focus that we're at least about to see what the game is about.

cireza

Banned
I wonder if there is going to be any reason to play this instead of FS that has been on Xbox 360/One/Series for years...

cireza

Banned
Wake me up when VF is back at this level again.

That fucking music.

Virtua Fighter has been at this level for ages. VF4 was a big step forward, and VF5 is still ages beyond anything else that has been made in the genre, even recently. There isn't a single fighting game out there that matches how elaborated the animations are, how diverse the characters are, and how huge the movelists are.

carlosrox

Banned
Virtua Fighter has been at this level for ages. VF4 was a big step forward, and VF5 is still ages beyond anything else that has been made in the genre, even recently. There isn't a single fighting game out there that matches how elaborated the animations are, how diverse the characters are, and how huge the movelists are.

If the music isn't there, I'm not there.

sn0man

Every time with this thread. I get so hopeful.

Please SEGA, I want to give you $60 or more for a VF Collection with all 5 games and editions in one package. Prefer PS4 but PC also makes sense.

cireza

Banned
Please SEGA, I want to give you $60 or more for a VF Collection with all 5 games and editions in one package. Prefer PS4 but PC also makes sense.
Well as far as I concerned, I am not willing to give money for games I already own and have been playing for decades. And I wish for games to be released on all consoles, because I don't see a single good reason to ignore consumers.

So that will be 60$ for a proper Virtua Fighter 6 entry on all consoles that can decently run the game.

Last edited:

sn0man

Well as far as I concerned, I am not willing to give money for games I already own and have been playing for decades. And I wish for games to be released on all consoles, because I don't see a single good reason to ignore consumers.

So that will be 60$ for a proper Virtua Fighter 6 entry on all consoles that can decently run the game.
Why not both? Also you own an arcade version of VF3?

Miles708

Wasn't already kind of confirmed that this is going to be a VF5 re- edition, and not a new chapter?

Last edited:
Top Bottom