• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter X eSport announced

celsowmbr

Banned
What is your bet about the "core", guys:

1- new assets, 3d models etc... (Like phantasy star online 2 genesis)
2- VF5FS remastered

?

Last edited:

Aggelos

What did they say?

Well Ohsu Akira said (my translation)
"Naaah don't even...
Yo guys, look, It's too early to party.
At this point, could be a card-game for all I know, still though, I can't rule out the possibility of ending up as some sort of crazy-ass battle-royale game.
Don't let your bloated high expectations get the better of you, 'cause the shock of being proven wrong, it's gonna put you off really badly.

Let's wait and see for the time being."

Therefore Ohsu Akira might be right on this one. It might be some horse-shit card-game or what, so keep your expectations checked and at bay for the time being.

Team Ninja sent their congrats, too you know.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Well Ohsu Akira said (my translation)
"Naaah don't even...
Yo guys, look, It's too early to party.
At this point, could be a card-game for all I know, still though, I can't rule out the possibility of ending up as some sort of crazy-ass battle-royale game.
Don't let your bloated high expectations get the better of you, 'cause the shock of being proven wrong, it's gonna put you off really badly.

Let's wait and see for the time being."

Therefore Ohsu Akira might be right on this one. It might be some horse-shit card-game or what, so keep your expectations checked and at bay for the time being.

Team Ninja sent their congrats, too you know.

Thanks for this!

Wow, he really doesn't believe this could be the real thing. I can't blame him, card game would be crushing disappointment.

I don't believe it's gonna be that. The trailer shows players from VF tournaments exactly like those trailers/announcements Namco now makes for Tekken.
There's brand new Akira model watching trailer of VF5FS. At the very least we are gonna get VF5FS but I believe it's more than that.

I have good feeling about this.

4cyz1bC.gif

K1Expwy

The announcement getting reactions from fighting game producers (3DFG producers at that) is probably a sign that it's fighting game related at the very least.

VF should have been revived 10 years ago (pun not intended) when there was a bit more interest in the genre, but hopefully they have something special planned. I'd love to see the VF competitive scene revived, now with global live streams enticing newcomers to get in the lab

Aggelos

Thanks for this!

Wow, he really doesn't believe this could be the real thing. I can't blame him, card game would be crushing disappointment.

I don't believe it's gonna be that. The trailer shows players from VF tournaments exactly like those trailers/announcements Namco now makes for Tekken.
There's brand new Akira model watching trailer of VF5FS. At the very least we are gonna get VF5FS but I believe it's more than that.

I have good feeling about this.

Nope he doesn't wanna keep his expectations high.

But other devs send their congrats and rejoice. I hope that this celebratory motion won't go in vain.

I kinda hope stylistically this new game is closer to VF4 than VF5. VF4 (especially EVO edition) hit the mark in terms of not just really solid gameplay, but an aesthetic that spiced things up across the board. That's probably the peak of VF's appeal to the Tekken/DoA style crowds.

VF5 was visually amazing for its day but the aesthetic was more muted and probably not as appealing for folks outside of the hardcore fanbase. Combine that with the plainness of the characters and I figure a lot of people just went to alternatives even if VF5 had just as good or better gameplay. I hope maybe they get some of the Persona character designers to work on some of the fighter designs, and some of the Yakuza team to write the story.

You combine those with the already amazing game mechanics and fighting engine and you have a clear-and-away winner IMHO.

Komatsu

The VF5 team is still at the AM2 division. They also have Atlus, who've made fighters in the past (Power Instinct), though I wonder if any of the PI members are still there (they should still have the Persona fighters people present).

Exactly. AM2 was the least affected studio by all of SEGA’s re-orgs and Suzuki himself has done consulting work for SEGA since retiring from the company. The franchiseis in good hands.

fucking hype, i hope it's a f2p gaas so the game can resuscitate and have long legs.
If they make it full price, good luck with that.

Edit: Oh yeah, and add an amazing tutorial and training mode, those are needs at the begining, if they go the GaaS route they can roll out content as season updates and whatnot, you have to hook up all those casual players first.

They can have a GAAS version kind of like DOA, but I rather have a full game with a lot of content.

celsowmbr

Banned
My bet is a initial 10+1 Fighters avaliable (vf2) for a very modest price (+- $10).
After that, they would release seasons with new fighters, stages and skins

SkylineRKR

VF6 is longer dormant than it was active. 1993 to 2005, and then in 2010 an upgrade to VF5.

Anyway esports makes sense for this franchise. VF is purely about competitive high level play. It never offered much in terms of story or unlocks. Its a pure vs fighter thats really cool to watch when high level players duke it out. FS is the best 3D fighter I have played probably. I could play some decent games with Jean and Sarah. Had some excellent evenings with it back on PS3.

I guess this is going to be a Final Showdown remaster or upgrade for tournament play. Perhaps with rollback for the consoles.

Last edited:

MadeManG74

Neo Member
Incredibly excited for what this might be. I personally think/hope it's going to be a re-release enhanced edition Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown that focuses on competitive play/online/tournament. That would be a low barrier for entry for new players, and relatively low investment for Sega, then after people are re-acquainted with the franchise they can work on a full blown sequel.

They did a recent Puyo release called 'Puyo eSports' in Japan, so I'm getting the feeling it'll be something similarly branded.

Exactly. AM2 was the least affected studio by all of SEGA’s re-orgs and Suzuki himself has done consulting work for SEGA since retiring from the company. The franchiseis in good hands.

I still wonder why SEGA didn't let Suzuki use the Yakuza engine for Shenmue 3; yeah they are quite different games but I think it still would've benefited S3 in that case. Maybe for S4 they'll let him do it.

But yeah, Suzuki never really stopped keeping contact with SEGA, it would be neat if he returned there in a fuller capacity.

SNG32

Incredibly excited for what this might be. I personally think/hope it's going to be a re-release enhanced edition Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown that focuses on competitive play/online/tournament. That would be a low barrier for entry for new players, and relatively low investment for Sega, then after people are re-acquainted with the franchise they can work on a full blown sequel.

They did a recent Puyo release called 'Puyo eSports' in Japan, so I'm getting the feeling it'll be something similarly branded.

Interesting so you think they will Revamp the graphics for Virtua Fighter 5? Also it will be nice if they do a steam release as well.

MadeManG74

Neo Member
Interesting so you think they will Revamp the graphics for Virtua Fighter 5? Also it will be nice if they do a steam release as well.

I don't think they'll revamp the graphics, maybe outside of some minor options for PC players to tweak. I think it'll literally just be a port of the PS3/360 version on modern platforms, maybe with some quality of life features for online/offline like 'First to 3/First to 5' options or better spectator modes etc.

Honestly ,the game still looks great IMO!

kunonabi

Some of my old gifs from Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned. I'm pissed to this day that this stayed in Japan. Some say it's the best VF or equal to VF5FS.

I don't even have a PC that could emulate it. When I tried, it run 1 frame per 2 seconds.

ZgzrmeJ.gif

8oDT8R5.gif

the VF crew I played with in ohio got a final Tuned machine and yeah it's best in the series as far as im concerned. I didnt care for most of FS's changes.

bender

What time is it?
the VF crew I played with in ohio got a final Tuned machine and yeah it's best in the series as far as im concerned. I didnt care for most of FS's changes.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Yakuza games will last another few decades and we'll get emulated version through them.

bender

What time is it?
Nothing lucky about it.

Hopefully Star Wars will be around a few more decades. Hope my grandkids can enjoy a live production of the Nutcracker....you see, it sounds weird.

Not really. Yakuza has been on tenuous footing in the past and most game franchises don't live on forever. And that's not even taking SEGA's stability into account. I also think you are reading too much into more words. I'm as big of a fan of Yakuza as it gets, but at their current pace of in game emulation, we are a long way from seeing VF4.

RAIDEN1

The dumb thing about VF5 is that the characters don't even have a proper ending at the end of the game! Wtf?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I kinda hope stylistically this new game is closer to VF4 than VF5. VF4 (especially EVO edition) hit the mark in terms of not just really solid gameplay, but an aesthetic that spiced things up across the board. That's probably the peak of VF's appeal to the Tekken/DoA style crowds.

VF5 was visually amazing for its day but the aesthetic was more muted and probably not as appealing for folks outside of the hardcore fanbase. Combine that with the plainness of the characters and I figure a lot of people just went to alternatives even if VF5 had just as good or better gameplay. I hope maybe they get some of the Persona character designers to work on some of the fighter designs, and some of the Yakuza team to write the story.

You combine those with the already amazing game mechanics and fighting engine and you have a clear-and-away winner IMHO.
your avatar is fucking amazing. who is she?

SkylineRKR

The dumb thing about VF5 is that the characters don't even have a proper ending at the end of the game! Wtf?

No VF does. There was an ending one time, a hidden movie in VF2 depicting Dural's identity. There was some story in the manual and that was it.

NT80

No VF does. There was an ending one time, a hidden movie in VF2 depicting Dural's identity. There was some story in the manual and that was it.
VF3 had an ending compilation of all the characters. I remember VF4 and VF4:Evo having story details for every character in the manual but nothing in game. The Lei Fei story was quite interesting.

Dev1lXYZ

Many moons ago, our local arcade spot got Virtua Fighter. This was in the early days of MK2, before it got the first patch that added in Fatalities and Friendships. Anyway, nobody played the game at all. It was basically a game that people would play to pass the time when the SF2 Turbo and MK 2 machines had long waits. I was the only person who played it somewhat regularly. I had this friend who even made fun of me because he thought that because it had 3 buttons, it didn’t have a very high skill level. So, he moves to Japan for a year, and comes back a total convert of Virtua Fighter. In that time, VF2 had come out and it had landed in the local arcade with a thud. People really liked the graphics, but didn’t understand it at all beyond mashing buttons. No concept of the block button whatsoever. My friend had gotten really damn good with Wolf and could give me a run for my money, though which just like SF and MK made the game even more enjoyable. We loved that game and the first almost as much! Tekken 1 came out and we were both shocked how well it caught on, yet VF sat unplayed by most arcade goers. Mind you at the time, VF2 stomped a mud hole in Tekken graphically. I imported a PS1 just to get good at it, which paid for itself in arcade clout. So many long nights of playing VF on the Saturn and then firing up the PS1 for Tekken. Of course we had to fit a little SF Alpha in there as well 😂

Fast forward to VF3. We were so excited for it to come out. No arcades in our city would buy it. It was seen as a high priced tech demo that wouldn’t make money by arcade owners, and they were right. I found one arcade with it 2 hours away. It was like a gleaming jewel, tucked in between the other big games of the day that no one would touch. I had to import a Dreamcast to play that one. Let me tell you about how shit that controller was for that game. I don’t know what Sega was thinking. I guess their goal was to sell arcade sticks 😂

Last edited:
I had a Sergeant in the Army who had a very telling phrase that he would have absolutely used to describe that girl......

"Dat gurl been eatin her GREENZ! I SAID GotDAMN!!!" He was a lecherous old bastard and I loved him lol.

Greens, protein, milk and eggs. Whole dang farm and putting that fuel to work ;)

Check out Hailey Harber if you're looking for more of that toned muscular female goodness. I've probably got a whole page's worth of Insta models to, uh, appreciate xD.

Many moons ago, our local arcade spot got Virtua Fighter. This was in the early days of MK2, before it got the first patch that added in Fatalities and Friendships. Anyway, nobody played the game at all. It was basically a game that people would play to pass the time when the SF2 Turbo and MK 2 machines had long waits. I was the only person who played it somewhat regularly. I had this friend who even made fun of me because he thought that because it had 3 buttons, it didn’t have a very high skill level. So, he moves to Japan for a year, and comes back a total convert of Virtua Fighter. In that time, VF2 had come out and it had landed in the local arcade with a thud. People really liked the graphics, but didn’t understand it at all beyond mashing buttons. No concept of the block button whatsoever. My friend had gotten really damn good with Wolf and could give me a run for my money, though which just like SF and MK made the game even more enjoyable. We loved that game and the first almost as much! Tekken 1 came out and we were both shocked how well it caught on, yet VF sat unplayed by most arcade goers. Mind you at the time, VF2 stomped a mud hole in Tekken graphically. I imported a PS1 just to get good at it, which paid for itself in arcade clout. So many long nights of playing VF on the Saturn and then firing up the PS1 for Tekken. Of course we had to fit a little SF Alpha in there as well 😂

Fast forward to VF3. We were so excited for it to come out. No arcades in our city would buy it. It was seen as a high priced tech demo that wouldn’t make money by arcade owners, and they were right. I found one arcade with it 2 hours away. It was like a gleaming jewel, tucked in between the other big games of the day that no one would touch. I had to import a Dreamcast to play that one. Let me tell you about how shit that controller was for that game. I don’t know what Sega was thinking. I guess their goal was to sell arcade sticks 😂

TBH this kind of highlights a bigger problem with the franchise they actually kind of addressed with VF4 but scaled back again for VF5: lack of personality. The reason Tekken caught on was, even though the 1st game was pretty shit gameplay-wise compared to VF (same can be said of Toshinden), it had STYLE. Lots of style, cool character designs, neat stories for the characters and a great soundtrack. Having a home port on PS1 with bonus content was just icing on the cake.

Virtua Fighter could've easily been a bigger hit in the West even if home ports were relegated to Saturn, but the game needed more style to go with the substance. VF2 has a neat classical Chinese kung-fu style vibe to it and the art direction, but again it's lacking overall in "coolness" compared to games like Tekken 2. Tekken 3 pretty much wrecked VF2 and even VF3 when it came to the cool factor, style, OST and large roster of characters. The PS1 port of Tekken 3 might just be not only the best home version of a (traditional) fighter that entire gen, but of all time in terms as a whole package.

Virtua Fighter 4 (and especially EVO), one of the biggest reasons it did well in the West, besides getting a PS2 port, was because the style was finally there, man. And it was a better fighter than Tekken 4 on top of that. It's probably the one time where a VF game, title-aligned with a Tekken equivalent, beat it out in both substance AND style; even if Tekken 4 sold better (I'm guessing), that was mainly off of brand name if anything. VF4 and VF4 EVO are still seen as the best in the franchise by many for a reason. That isn't to say VF5 was some hard drop; it is still a fantastic game. But the style took a step back from 4 and I think that hurt the game in the West.

So I hope for this reboot, Sega harken back to the VF4 aesthetic and style, push it even further, and try fleshing out the characters with a stronger narrative focus in-game. The series absolutely has the potential to rival Street Fighter and Tekken in terms of global appeal, and it's been more consistent than both in terms of actual game mechanics and playability for years now (decades even), but the only way they'll get there is if they add some more spice and flair to the package. I don't care if it's going to be a regular game or some GaaS, they NEED to make it feel "cool" again and something spicy, and they can 100% do that while keeping true to the series' roots.

Hell, I know Nagoshi would probably love to work on a Virtua Fighter, same with some of the people at Atlus. Pair them up with the AM2 people who worked on VF5 still there and that's a strong foundation right there. They can even maybe do a Power Instinct guest character or two, like the old grandmas. Maybe she's a stalker who wants to get with Lau and Pai is against it xD.

Last edited:

sn0man

Not really. Yakuza has been on tenuous footing in the past and most game franchises don't live on forever. And that's not even taking SEGA's stability into account. I also think you are reading too much into more words. I'm as big of a fan of Yakuza as it gets, but at their current pace of in game emulation, we are a long way from seeing VF4.
Can we get arcade emulation of VF3 yet?

Enjay

Banned
Oh great eports. So virtua fighter is coming back for $60-$70 for the base game and $10 per character then.

Dev1lXYZ

Greens, protein, milk and eggs. Whole dang farm and putting that fuel to work ;)

Check out Hailey Harber if you're looking for more of that toned muscular female goodness. I've probably got a whole page's worth of Insta models to, uh, appreciate xD.

TBH this kind of highlights a bigger problem with the franchise they actually kind of addressed with VF4 but scaled back again for VF5: lack of personality. The reason Tekken caught on was, even though the 1st game was pretty shit gameplay-wise compared to VF (same can be said of Toshinden), it had STYLE. Lots of style, cool character designs, neat stories for the characters and a great soundtrack. Having a home port on PS1 with bonus content was just icing on the cake.

Virtua Fighter could've easily been a bigger hit in the West even if home ports were relegated to Saturn, but the game needed more style to go with the substance. VF2 has a neat classical Chinese kung-fu style vibe to it and the art direction, but again it's lacking overall in "coolness" compared to games like Tekken 2. Tekken 3 pretty much wrecked VF2 and even VF3 when it came to the cool factor, style, OST and large roster of characters. The PS1 port of Tekken 3 might just be not only the best home version of a (traditional) fighter that entire gen, but of all time in terms as a whole package.

Virtua Fighter 4 (and especially EVO), one of the biggest reasons it did well in the West, besides getting a PS2 port, was because the style was finally there, man. And it was a better fighter than Tekken 4 on top of that. It's probably the one time where a VF game, title-aligned with a Tekken equivalent, beat it out in both substance AND style; even if Tekken 4 sold better (I'm guessing), that was mainly off of brand name if anything. VF4 and VF4 EVO are still seen as the best in the franchise by many for a reason. That isn't to say VF5 was some hard drop; it is still a fantastic game. But the style took a step back from 4 and I think that hurt the game in the West.

So I hope for this reboot, Sega harken back to the VF4 aesthetic and style, push it even further, and try fleshing out the characters with a stronger narrative focus in-game. The series absolutely has the potential to rival Street Fighter and Tekken in terms of global appeal, and it's been more consistent than both in terms of actual game mechanics and playability for years now (decades even), but the only way they'll get there is if they add some more spice and flair to the package. I don't care if it's going to be a regular game or some GaaS, they NEED to make it feel "cool" again and something spicy, and they can 100% do that while keeping true to the series' roots.

Hell, I know Nagoshi would probably love to work on a Virtua Fighter, same with some of the people at Atlus. Pair them up with the AM2 people who worked on VF5 still there and that's a strong foundation right there. They can even maybe do a Power Instinct guest character or two, like the old grandmas. Maybe she's a stalker who wants to get with Lau and Pai is against it xD.

You are absolutely right about Tekken. It was just very cool and stylish. The home ports really nailed it with the cinematic driven story, endings for each character and Tekken 2 started to cement the franchise. Tekken 3 cleared all other fighting games out. Capcom’s Street Fighter 3 flopped, and they only were able to stay in the game with Marvel Super Heroes (and spin-offs)and Street Fighter Alpha (but that series languished until 3 caught on in the home ports).

Virtua Figher 4 had lots of style as they went the route with with extensive training modes, etc and Tekken 4 was a flop and 5 didn’t catch on until the second version fixed a bunch of flaws, so when Namco slipped on their game Sega was there to eat their cake. Tekken 6 and 7 both were alright, but didn’t hold my attention long. There is only so far one can go with a fighting game without taking some serious risks in design. That paved the way for Mortal Kombat to come back, so there is never a dull moment in the genre. It’s Capcom’s turn now to make Street Fighter 6 something special after 5 was very luke warm in reception. I liked SF5, but it didn’t hit on all cylinders after 4 really brought things around.

I never got into VF, last I remember it was really slow?
So I never bothered with the series. If a new one is coming though I am interested.

Top Bottom