• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter X eSport announced

celsowmbr

Banned

From Gematsu:

Sega has announced “Virtua Fighter x eSports Project” in celebration of the company’s 60th anniversary. “Virtua Fighter, which was created as the world’s first 3D fighting game in 1993, will restart as an eSports title in celebration of Sega’s 60th anniversary, starting in Japan,” Sega said. “Details on the project will be announced in a future update.” Further details were not announced. The latest entry in the Virtua Fighter series is the 2010-released Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, which is an updated version of the 2006-released Virtua Fighter 5. Watch the “Virtua Fighter x eSports Project” announcement trailer below.

E2PnePaXsA0h1Oq

Last edited:

Aggelos

1993年に世界初の3D格闘ゲームとして誕生した「バーチャファイター」が、セガ設立60周年を記念し、まず国内にてesportsタイトルとして再始動いたします。プロジェクトの詳細は、今後の続報にご期待ください。

Their first step is to resuscitate it as an e-sport title in Japan. They say more details about this project will be unveiled later.

Last edited:
Them acknowledging it is at least a good thing.

I'm still holding out hope for the eventual VF6 but expect to be disappointed. But here's hoping! Hopefully something good comes out of this.

Them acknowledging it is at least a good start that I'll take.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Guys, my guess is that this is going to be VF5 Final Showdown donned for E-sports, and HD remastered for current-gen hardware.
I don't think that this revival project might be the long-awaited 6th installment.

A.Romero

My VF5 copy for PS3 was stolen a long time ago so I'd be more than happy to be able to get a current port for console or, even better, PC.

Bring it Sega!

Holammer

With such a dumb name? I'm guessing it's a souped-up f2p version of VF5 for current gen and coming consoles + PC.
Not necessarly a bad thing if they improve models and textures etc.

NT80

I recognized some of the players in that footage from the heyday of competitive VF at the time of VF4. That was when it was at it's biggest in Japan. It went downhill after that. Seemed like it lost the hardcore when they tried to make it more accessible in VF5 and especially VF5FS which they really didn't seem to like. I wonder what there aiming for now?

Guys, my guess is that this is going to be VF5 Final Showdown donned for E-sports, and HD remastered for current-gen hardware.
I don't think that this revival project might be the long-awaited 6th installment.

Even if it is just that, I'll still take it. To able play VF5 online on a console/PC that isn't 360 or PS3 is a-okay by me.

MastaKiiLA

Why wouldn't Sega just sell their arcade IPs? It's not like arcades themselves are ever making a comeback. So why not give those IPs new life on consoles, while those of us who still remember them fondly are still alive?

Ascend

I'll take it. Even if it's a revamped VF5FS. That game is simply the best 3D fighting game ever made.

SSfox

Focusing on Esport does make sens for VF, it never been a franchise that shine with its story or lore like other FGs, VF has always been about core gameplay.

Just give me Shun Di that's all i need, man i'm so fucking excited it's finally VF is back

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Fighting games are automatically esports titles, I don't really get what they are trying to say here. It comes across like they wanted to show something but didn't have anything ready.

Tiamat2san

....I don’t know what to say...
virtua fighter is my favorite series of 3D fighting games.
VF5 final showdown is a masterpiece of gameplay.
so even if it’s a re-release of VF5 FS with improvements (4K) I am good
i don’t want to be disappointed so I will try to keep my hype in check until more infos are available.

please sega don’t fuck this up.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

....I don’t know what to say...
virtua fighter is my favorite series of 3D fighting games.
VF5 final showdown is a masterpiece of gameplay.
so even if it’s a re-release of VF5 FS with improvements (4K) I am good
i don’t want to be disappointed so I will try to keep my hype in check until more infos are available.

please sega don’t fuck this up.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold breath for VF6. I don't think Sega has the competent manpower for it.

It's probably a port of VF5FS with maybe more robust features than ps3/360 version and that would be pretty good anyway. I'm in.

KAL2006

Banned
Virtua Fighter won't really sell well. They should really do a Virtua Fighter: Sega All-stars

Include Ryu from Shenmue, Kiryu from Yakuza, Axel from Streets of Rage, Centurion from Altered Beast, Shinobi, a character from from Eternal Champions, Fighters Megamix, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Dark Edge and 10 characters from Virtua Fighter series.

Js562

Esports nah it's not even close to a sport. Competitive yeah but not a sport.
dUsQjYy.gif

Anything Virtua Fighter is good tho

TheMan

I was never good a VF but sure I'll get this new one when it comes out in the US. Last one I bought was the VF2 release on 360 about one year ago. I played a few times with my son and he seemed to like it.

Last edited:
Virtua Fighter won't really sell well. They should really do a Virtua Fighter: Sega All-stars

Include Ryu from Shenmue, Kiryu from Yakuza, Axel from Streets of Rage, Centurion from Altered Beast, Shinobi, a character from from Eternal Champions, Fighters Megamix, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Dark Edge and 10 characters from Virtua Fighter series.

The series has always generally done great in Japan. Sold 1:1 with Saturn (1 and 2), was the marquee fighting game in the region for about a decade or so. Big revenue draw in arcades in Asia region as well.

I'd like a Fighter's Megamix 2, myself, but this is a good first step by them getting back in the fighting game spotlight. The title's a bit dumb IMHO but I'm genuinely looking forward to see how this one shapes out. Should be really fun. Also wonder if next-gen versions will be available too.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold breath for VF6. I don't think Sega has the competent manpower for it.

The VF5 team is still at the AM2 division. They also have Atlus, who've made fighters in the past (Power Instinct), though I wonder if any of the PI members are still there (they should still have the Persona fighters people present).

Focusing on Esport does make sens for VF, it never been a franchise that shine with its story or lore like other FGs, VF has always been about core gameplay.

Just give me Shun Di that's all i need, man i'm so fucking excited it's finally VF is back
Sorry but when VF2 came, there were hardcore gamers competition in Japan.

Tiamat2san

Fighter mega mix 2!!!
i am fucking in!
The problem if they want an e-sport fighting game, I don’t see a car, sonic etc.. with VF gameplay.
VF is a very demanding game.
Except maybe for Lei-Fei , you can’t real pick a character and do cool stuff by mashing button like in tekken. (I am talking about casual players)
VF is not a friendly game for beginners.
so if they want a real VS e-sport fighting game, they will stick with classic VF gameplay.
Maybe they can add Kazuma and Goro from yakuza and Ryo, Lan-Di from shenmue To the roster. (It would be amazing♥️)

And so? What you saying reinforce what i'm saying, VF always had competion and tournaments, and Esport is just the new and modern name of competiton and tournaments.
Eeee... isn't what Esport is? (Sorry, if i sound stupid but until today, i didn't know/cared about Esport)

MiguelItUp

This is really strange to me. On one hand it's kind of cool, on the other, why? Why not make a new Virtua Fighter all together like a lot of fans want.

Top Bottom