• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vin Diesel Comments on the Possibility of New Chronicles of Riddick Video Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Vin Diesel has opened up about the possibility of a new video game in the Chronicles of Riddick video game series coming about. The franchise, which is based on the movie series of the same name, hasn't seen a new installment in well over ten years at this point in time. However, based on Diesel's latest comments, it sounds like the door could be open to a comeback.

In a recent conversation with Games Radar, Diesel was asked about whether a follow-up installment to The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and its sequel Assault On Dark Athena could happen in the future. Diesel didn't guarantee anything, but he did say that such a move would make sense given that filming of the fourth film in the Riddick series is set to happen soon. "We did have great success with Escape From Butcher Bay. It feels like an eternity ago now," Diesel said. "But, I imagine that we would take advantage of the gaming space and add an extra chapter, but definitely, the [movie's] script is already written. So it's safe to say that we are moving towards filming the fourth chapter of Riddick."

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
9d48f4915880cb855674c18365c7397c.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
Escape from Butcher Bay is amazing. Assault on Dark Athena isn't as good, but still a great game. Here's hoping for another one!

I really like all the movies, but Pitch Black is the best of the bunch by far.

bender

What time is it?
Never got around to playing Assault on Dark Athena, but I remember Escape from Butcher Bay leaving my jaw on the floor visually. It also had a nice twist on the FPS genre.

Riddick games > Riddick movies

I remember the buzz around Pitch Black and bought the DVD for my Tuesday night movie gatherings. Disappointed is an understatement.

Von Hugh

With Tigon Studios dead (presumably since there is no website anymore) and Starbreeze making different types of games nowadays, I can't really see this happening even if I wish they made another Riddick game. But who knows.

Can't believe Vin Diesel is still a thing. Has he made anything else besides Fast and Furious and Riddick lately? Being such a huge star he should pivot a little.

ShadowNate

Escape from Butcher Bay was an awesome game. Unexpectedly super fun and the visuals were pretty good too. Particularly the Vin Diesel model seemed like the spit image of the man.

Never got to play the Athena one, even though I have the game both on Steam and GOG.

What's the issue with it not running correctly on Windows 10?

j0hnnix

Gold Member
One game I've heard is fantastic and have yet to play. Maybe one day it'll be on game pass... Unless there is rights issues.

Ugh Edit*

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is a cult classic on the original Xbox, but sadly neither it nor its sequel/remake have been made available to play on Xbox One.Oct 23, 2020

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Chronicles of Riddick games are incredibly good, but I don't know if someone would be willing to fund a new big budget sequel considering how stealth oriented games are going away.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I really really like both of the games. More than a new movie I wish for a new game in this universe. Its so unique and atmospheric.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Literally the only thing I remember about 2013's Riddick is seeing Katee Sackhoff's tits

10/10

The games were pretty good though.

NahaNago

Had no idea a new movie was getting ready to be happen. The last one was a little to much terrible fake cg but still enjoyable. I kinda feel like the 2nd movie kind of messed up the series.

Count me in. Still play those on PC from time to time. They hold up so well! The fact that Butcher Bay looked as good as it did on the OG Xbox still amazes me.

trickybiff

45671676.jpg

Butcher Bay was a surprisingly terrific game. I remember it vividly. I hope if they make a new one, they can do it justice.

MiguelItUp

Man, those games were SO good! I'd absolutely love a sequel that played like the originals, but even better!

The multiplayer was never really that populated on the rerelease, but man, it had some cool modes. Especially the one that was Riddick vs Mercs. Some dumb fun was definitely had in that!

Last edited:

Kerotan

I always assumed the games were B tier movie trash but everyone in here saying they were good. Colour me surprised. Were these ps2 games?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I always assumed the games were B tier movie trash but everyone in here saying they were good. Colour me surprised. Were these ps2 games?
The original was Xbox and PC. The bundle which was Butcher Bay and Dark Athena came out on 360, PS3, and PC if I recall correctly.

"But, I imagine that we would take advantage of the gaming space and add an extra chapter, but definitely, the [movie's] script is already written. So it's safe to say that we are moving towards filming the fourth chapter of Riddick."
All I needed to hear. Been waiting for a 4th film for a long-ass time. Personally hope it's more like Chronicles of Riddick since the last movie already patterned after Pitch Black, plus if it ends up being the last film then go big in scope IMO.

The 2003 game was a visual showcase for its time on OG Xbox along with DOOM 3; still impressed how they pulled them off there given the requirements the PC versions needed.

JayK47

Love the games and love the movies even more. Really wish Riddick would get the attention it deserves. A cool character in a cool universe.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When Pitch Black released in the year 2000, moviegoers were treated to a flawed, yet entertaining slice of science fiction. Its plot – which saw a crew of interstellar travelers band together to survive a hostile planet – was formulaic, but its setting and cast captured the imagination. And no other character on its cast did so better than Richard B. Riddick. An enigmatic antihero portrayed by Vin Diesel, Riddick’s mixture of smarts and physical abilities proved decently popular, and all but guaranteed that audiences would be seeing him once more on the silver screen.

Few could have predicted that on the eve of his next cinematic appearance, a little-known Swedish game developer called Starbreeze would release a expertly-crafted video game starring the anti-hero – and that it would prove more popular than the movie it released alongside. This game was Escape from Butcher Bay, a stealth-centric action title that followed Riddick’s numerous attempts to escape from a maximum security prison using whatever means necessary.

While circumstances surrounding its release prevented Butcher Bay from being as massive of a success as Starbreeze wanted it to be, its critical acclaim put the studio on the map – and before long, a follow-up called Assault on Dark Athena made its way to market. The latter featured a higher emphasis on action over stealth, and ended up being less well received. But its reception did little to sully its predecessor’s legacy – or prevent the people who made it from eventually going on to do bigger, better things.

This is the videogame history of the Chronicles of Riddick.

Love the games and wish Starbreeze continue the games

I actually plan on buying the PC version of Assault on Dark Athena from either Ebay or Amazon.

Assault on Dark Athena includes a remastered version of Butcher Bay.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena are some of the most interesting experiments in kitchen sink game design. Join me as I dissect these two little gaming oddities that not only subvert every possible expectation about movie licensed games, but also stand on their own.

Timestamps:

0:00 Intro
4:40 Escape From Butcher Bay
24:26 Assault on Dark Athena
36:44 Final Thoughts

Game footage from:

The Operative: No One Lives Forever
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Arx Fatalis
Pathologic 2
Disco Elysium
Dishonored
Prey 2017
Kentucky Route Zero

What i most like of these games is how atmospherics they are. Especially the first one.

CamHostage

Sorry to be crowd-googling this, but is Dark Athena really a "sequel" to Butcher Bay? I always thought of it as an add-on campaign (never got to play it) for the re-release rather than a full-fledged follow-up. Kept meaning to pick up the package, but it got lost in the shuffle at the time and didn't carry the impact from the original game. (Supposedly the multiplayer modes are good, but I missed out on that too.)

With Tigon Studios dead (presumably since there is no website anymore) and Starbreeze making different types of games nowadays, I can't really see this happening even if I wish they made another Riddick game. But who knows.

Well, Starbreeze was nobody (except to those who liked Enclave I suppose) when they were picked out of nowhere for these nobody-asked-for-it Riddick games, and Tigon wasn't a thing if I remember right (Tigon formed sort of as a business to capitalize on what would be Escape from Butcher Bay, it got a credit on the final game but I don't know if it had anybody but Vin onboard until Wheelman?) so those aren't impediments to my mind. Vin could get some funding together (the indie market is also very different from it was back when this was a publisher backing an emerging brand) and then find some other unknown developer out there with promising staff and say, "Hey, wanna come do my thing?" It wouldn't be the same, but then again, Starbreeze isn't the same as it was and might not be able to pull it off again, so might as well find somebody else who can share the passion of making Riddick special again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom