• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogamedunkey... the proof that we need another thing than YouTube

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

"Today I'm trowing the towel". That's the intro to this video from the popular youtuber Videogamedunkey. Everyone knows him here. He is very sarcastic and just here and there he do a serious video. I don't know if he was serious with this video, and maybe is too soon to say, but I'm afraid that he is.

Is very known when he does a serious video. His voice tone and stuff... He did with this video, but also joked with other youtubers that went down this road. The week plan is very true and very cringy. The thing is, Dunkey released this video on thursday, another on friday, then another saturday and another on sunday. All of them got lots and lots of views, so obviously a lot of money and channel growth. The problem? Not one of those are the channel standard of quality that he did. It's sad

Yeah, everyone also know that YouTube is broken and some channels wins more just for the video release. Why we still don't have anything that even scratch the surface? If we do, what is?

GHG

Gold Member
Plenty of youtubers do very well without releasing a new video every day. In fact some do very well by only releasing a high quality video once a week or once every other week.

Maybe his videos aren't as "good" as he thinks they are.

VN1X

Banned
Thanks, I'll check the video in a sec. However, why do you write like some of my random eastern-European CS:GO teammates speak lol? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

EDIT: Err, so just watched this and his videos get millions of views? Wat.

If he wants to make cookie cutter content in order to make even more money under the guise of "competing with Markiplier" then by all means but this all reeks a bit of "woe is me", in my opinion. Sure we all know Youtube and their supposed 'algorithm' is absolutely fucked but based on this thread and his own video title I thought he was going to put his foot down and move away from Youtube or some shit lol.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Idk what to tell you. You don’t have to be a nihilist to accept that the majority of people aren’t that intelligent. The proof plays out again and again in every single hobby and industry, from music, to Hollywood, to YouTube — quality doesn’t generally win.

What you can do is accept that you aren’t going to be king or queen of the world, make something you’re proud of, and be highly successful in your own right and loved by the people who appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

Which Dunkey has. To major, major, success. If he’s serious, he ought to be happy with what he has, and how he achieved it.

Yeah he just proved with the recent videos that the stuff ppl watch on youtube is dumb as shit, hence, people are dumb as shit and its not just youtubes fault. Their video recommendation algorithm is the worst possible kind but you can;t fault them for ppl being a bunch of brainwashed kids watching clickbait shit.

Darak

This happens to any platform, it's the nature of competition in a popularity context. Winners get the rewards so they keep getting bigger and doing more of the things which made them win, the gap widens and widens, and eventually the only thing you see in a channel is a stripped, simplistic and dumbed down version of the worst common denominator in their audience. Reddit becomes full of meme gifs, your traditional newspaper gets full of fake news and partisan drivel, Netflix becomes something I can't even begin to describe, etc. Youtube essentially becomes background noise made by professional clowns.

There is always going to be room for quality content which doesn't attract the big numbers, though. Do it right and you'll find a dedicated and loyal audience. Competing with the big name providers is not what you want to do, unless you want to become like them. That being said, Youtube sucks, because with their technology they are in a great position where they could really cater to any audience and be everything to everybody, yet everything they do makes the clowns bigger, at the expense of the small content creators.

Handy Fake

Plenty of youtubers do very well without releasing a new video every day. In fact some do very well by only releasing a high quality video once a week or once every other week.

Was pottering through YouTube last night and noticed his most recent video had 380,000 views within 45 minutes of uploading. So probably not.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
YouTube (and the internet in general) is best when you go get your own content. He's not wrong but he's complaining about something that has been a problem for awhile. That's why these content creators are smart to do patreon or adjunct websites or branded products, because that's the fan-engagement they'll need to retain long-term viewers / customers.

CAB_Life

Idk what to tell you. You don’t have to be a nihilist to accept that the majority of people aren’t that intelligent. The proof plays out again and again in every single hobby and industry, from music, to Hollywood, to YouTube — quality doesn’t generally win.

What you can do is accept that you aren’t going to be king or queen of the world, make something you’re proud of, and be highly successful in your own right and loved by the people who appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

Which Dunkey has. To major, major, success. If he’s serious, he ought to be happy with what he has, and how he achieved it.

Any time you measure yourself by another's success you've already failed.

In life, I compete with myself and no one else.

INC

Just steal content and do reaction videos......no idea why they're so popular

Worse fake reactions, the watching those mobile game adverts for apex legends

ExpandKong

Banned

200.gif

Do you know dunkey? He makes close to 7 figures a year off Youtube. He's doing just fine.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Seems like a dunkey problem tbh. If he feels like he doesn’t need to put any effort in them anymore that’s him being lazy. Him blaming YouTube for his own laziness if frankly pathetic.

Nobody is surprised with a “crap makes money“ take. But it’s a shame to use that to justify your own decline.

Honestly hoping this is a temporary conceptual character or something, I didn’t even make it through his last one.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Do you know dunkey? He makes close to 7 figures a year off Youtube. He's doing just fine.

So why is he complaining?

He's been making shitty meme videos for years and now he complains that his audience seem to gravitate towards trash tier videos designed for people with low attention spans. You reap what you sow.

He's been creating trash for his whole YouTube career and making money from it. Just STFU and ride the wave.

Anyone would think he's actually busting his arse to make quality content like Veritasium is (as an example).

Last edited:

Stallone

Neo Member
I hear what he says, but it seems weird to me that he speaks up starting by saying himself that his videos are good.
I would have chosen an angle in which you reply to comments that say "Man your vids are great!" - Thanks, but they take time to create, and I might stop making them because it's not worth it in the current Youtube dynamic

So why is he complaining?

He's been making shitty meme videos for years and now he complains that his audience seem to gravitate towards trash tier videos designed for people with low attention spans. You reap what you sow.

He's been creating trash for his whole YouTube career and making money from it. Just STFU and ride the wave.

Anyone would think he's actually busting his arse to make quality content like Veritasium is (as an example).

His "meme videos" take a lot of work, especially if he's really doing them all by himself. What your average gamer youtuber does is they cut 20 minutes out of their daily Twitch stream and upload it as a "highlight video". Dunkey's videos are miles above that in terms of complexity, despite being "meme videos".

Man that’s pretty rough. Trash? Ouch.

I personally think he is a comical genius, very original, and his popularity is well deserved.

This new thing he did is pretty funny, but I don’t think it’s gonna go on for more than a week.

Porcile

YouTube is shitty and the satirical content that attempts to expose or make fun of its shitness is also garbage because fundamentally YouTube by its nature is the pretty much the lowest possible quality content being made today. Even Dunkey's best videos wouldn't make it anywhere near an actual TV channel despite how many terrible TV shows there are. What does that say about the content of people who make even less funny, even lower quality videos than Dunkey?

I... I thought it was obvious all those videos are satirical? At least it is if you follow dunkey

His "Donkey Kong stole my diamonds" was nothing but a Smash Bros vid in disguise and the "Among Us 1v1" was just him fucking around with his entourage as he always does.

Armorian

Banned
Yeah he just proved with the recent videos that the stuff ppl watch on youtube is dumb as shit, hence, people are dumb as shit and its not just youtubes fault. Their video recommendation algorithm is the worst possible kind but you can;t fault them for ppl being a bunch of brainwashed kids watching clickbait shit.

Sadly...

...this will alywas be the truth. I realized it hard way when I started working at Tesco, my first time with "customers", life changing experience :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

acm2000

never heard of him, got about 2 minutes into one of his videos before i stopped, his voice is grating and didnt find it funny.

Fbh

Not familiar with the dude....but the video sounds like satire?.

Anyway, nothing wrong with Youtube. It's a free platform where revenue is based on views. Of course crappy click baity stuff is king.
If you think your content is good enough that people would be willing to pay for it then set up a Patreon

Last edited:
People here commenting without having watched his videos.

Of course he is joking. He makes funny videos for a living. He is making fun of more popular YouTubers and trolling their algorithm with his newer videos.

Last edited:

SLoco

Neo Member
but people did come to him cause other youtubers was kinda shallow,fake and shit(uploaded everyday,hope he manage whatever he plans to do
also should not have insulted half of his viewers in dat review....his numbers kinda dropped ever since x2,x3.
best of luck

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Not familiar with the dude....but the video sounds like satire?.

Anyway, nothing wrong with Youtube. It's a free platform where revenue is based on views. Of course crappy click baity stuff is king.
If you think your content is good enough that people woild be willing to pay for it then set up a Patreon
it is a satire. what comes next is funnier. his now daily videos are hillarious. react one being my favorite.

Top Bottom