• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame "facts" that only you are aware of.

nkarafo

For me it's Goldeneye's controls.

Everyone will say that they have "aged poorly". I was just watching another video where Goldeneye is mentioned and once again, the author didn't know any better. It's now almost universally agreed in gaming community that Goldeneye (and PD) has inferior controls compared to the modern controls we all know and love. Because controls "evolved" after Goldeneye.

So that was another excuse for me to make a thread about Godeneye's controls.

Thing is, most people never tried anything more than it's default control scheme and, most importantly, the default controller hold position. So, very few know that, if you choose "1.2 solitare" from the in-game options and hold the N64 controller from it's left side, congratulations, you can play Goldeneye (and PD) with the same control scheme as any "evolved" modern console shooter. The only difference is, because you have a D-pad on the left side instead of an analog stick, the character moves at full speed all the time (you can't walk slowly). But that's a very minor issue. Certainly not big enough to argue this game's controls suck compared to modern ones.

The game even has a real dual analog scheme if you use two controllers at the same time (you can fuse them in 1 controller if you use emulators) but i guess that's just asking too much. But hey, neither Halo or Alien Resurrection were the first ones that did this scheme.

I feel like i'm the only one on this planet who ever played this game in a way that modern shooters weren't a major transition, control wise. And btw, this same scheme can be done in every single N64 FPS. Turok games even had it as the default, but you had to hold the controller from it's left side (so you can use your left hand to move and right to aim, like modern shooters). Back then it was trying to emulate the keyboard+mouse scheme. It was awkward for many but now it's not much different than dual analog controls.

Oh and all these new N64 controllers that try to "fix" the original's weird shape, makes using this scheme impossible. So i guess controls do suck if you don't have the original controller.

This made me also think, is there anyone with a similar experience in some other game? Things you know that the majority of others are completely unaware of.

Ornlu

Banned
Probably not the only one who knows this, but if you put game CD-ROMS on music players it would play the game's soundtrack (and some sound effects)

The reverse of this is true for a lot of games, as well. I remember some Playstation games where you could load up a level, remove the disc, insert a music CD, and play the music and the game at the same time, and change tracks etc within the game menu.

Phantasy Star Online (2001) fan lore , which tries to connect all the Phantasy Star before it, can be applied to every JRPG:

Humanity is caught between two deities fighting. The Good deity seals the bad deity in its own dimension and humanity gets trapped with it.

All JPGs are within a world that has a bad deity, only certain people are "summon" the spirit if the good deity.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja for the SNES has three Super Famicon sequels that are Japan exclusive. There are fan translation patches available.

Also, that hole at the bottom of Zora's Domain in Ocarina of Time that you just barely can't dive into? There's nothing in there.

Link1110

In Final Fantasy Legend 2's localization, they changed opium (maybe heroin) to bananas. This could've been a reference to Goldfinger's where James Bond makes a joke about heroin flavored bananas.

Last edited:

skit_data

In the third level of Trespasser, its possible to spot a black monolith near the downed smuggler airplane. Its probably a reference to 2001: A space oddysey.

REK7XYj.gif

Bartski

Gold Member
backstabbing geckos in Sekiro imbues Bestowal, green for high poison damage and white for life steal effect

Yes you can. I did it. Then Lara takes her clothes off and goes the rest of the game fully naked.

Keep trying bro. It's worth it!

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw someone unlock Tomb Raider 1 nude mode.​

I_D

I have tried this on Halo: CE on the original Xbox, the Master Chief Collection on Xbox One, and the Master Chief Collection via Steam. It works on each version, so I'm going to assume either nobody else has discovered it; or it's not worth "fixing."

If you play the original Halo game on coop mode, you can unlock a glitch which my friends and I call the "time freeze" glitch.
While playing "Assault on the Control Room," you will eventually come to a long hallway which contains a temporary-invisibility powerup.

If one player grabs that powerup, then sprints as fast as possible toward the next objective, he/she will come to one of those narrow metal hallways which contain sharp 90-degree turns.
In the middle of the hallway is a group of grunts. There should be like 6-ish of them, which is how you'll know if you're in the right place.

If you do it correctly, the person sprinting toward the next objective will teleport the second player to his/her position. As soon as the teleport occurs, all of the grunts in the long hallway will be permanently frozen, as will all of the time-based elements of the game.
As a result, you can throw tons and tons of plasma grenades onto the enemies, fill enemies with needler ammo, hit them with charged-up plasma pistol shots, etc. and nothing will ever actually detonate.

Then all you have to do is walk down the hallway and activate the loading/checkpoint marker, and everything will explode at the same time. The result is usually your own death, but also lots of fun.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

You can shoot most of the lamps in the Gamecube version of Resident Evil 4. Playstation censored this because they are against people destroying lamps for no reason

MAtgS

Miyamoto said in an interview once that he wanted every N64 game to have a penguin somewhere in it. This is why not only SM64 and MK64 had penguins but Wave Race as well. Alas 3rd parties didn't play ball and so Miyamoto abandoned the idea with Star Fox 64 being the first 1st party with no penguins (which you'd think it would be fairly simple to have a penguin character in it).

Cryio

This is more of an ini tweak than anything else but still.

If you play Splinter Cell Double Agent on PC or PS3, you can notice shadows from lights generate about 1 meter in front of you. In the X360 version, shadows are loaded regardless of player distance, given most levels don't actually render very far in the distance.

The distance for rendering shadows on PC is controlled in the INI by a line called ShadowTurnOffDegree, that's set to "2". What most people assumed throughout the years (so various PC forums and eventually Steam) was that "2" meant Low preset and setting it to "0" was the High preset and therefore increase shadow render distance.

What it actually is is "at how many meters from the player to turn off shadows". So if you wanted the shadows rendered in the distance as far away as possible, you should've typed "100" instead of "0", lmao. Easy viewable in before/after screenshots of the very first level.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
This is more of an ini tweak than anything else but still.

If you play Splinter Cell Double Agent on PC or PS3, you can notice shadows from lights generate about 1 meter in front of you. In the X360 version, shadows are loaded regardless of player distance, given most levels don't actually render very far in the distance.

The distance for rendering shadows on PC is controlled in the INI by a line called ShadowTurnOffDegree, that's set to "2". What most people assumed throughout the years (so various PC forums and eventually Steam) was that "2" meant Low preset and setting it to "0" was the High preset and therefore increase shadow render distance.

What it actually is is "at how many meters from the player to turn off shadows". So if you wanted the shadows rendered in the distance as far away as possible, you should've typed "100" instead of "0", lmao. Easy viewable in before/after screenshots of the very first level.
So people were running round with no shadows, thinking they had distant shadows? That doesn’t make sense, what is wrong with Splinter Cell fans?

Outlier

If I remember correctly; Marcus Fenix NEVERS speaks to Cole in GoW1.

Going by my memory since the game released.

cireza

You can fast forward all the text in Guardian Heroes on Saturn with the shoulder button.

You can quick load in Shining Force III scenario 2 and 3 by holding buttons after the Press Start Screen.

You can play patched games on Saturn without a chip and without swapping the still rotating disc. So without harming your console in any way.

You can skip the tutorial in Burning Rangers with a soft reset (ABC Start).

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I thought I had dreamt of the Chris Houlihan's room in Zelda LttP for a decade until I validated its existence. I could never replicate the way I had access to it so I thought I might just had a crazy moment.

In the demo of Viewtiful Joe, you could do like 4 sweeps into an uppercut. In the retail version, they increased the knock back on sweeps, so you could only get 2 in I believe. It's been a long time.

Rare Studios are never remaking their games themselves. They are a new IP factory only. If a Rare IP is too be remade, it will be given to a different studio with supervision.

How do I know this? Interviewed several employees back in the glorious E3 days including Craig Duncan.

If we are talking about a game fact then...

In Sea of Thieves the first letter of the vendors in the outpost means what they are selling. An example, in one of the outpost there is a vendor named Tom, Tom always will sells Tools. Wilma sells Weapons and so one. So the first letter of the character is what they are selling.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
here is a nice videogame fact:

In order to max out all character stats in Dark Souls 3 (99 each) farming only enemies in the Cementary of Ash (the intro area pre Firelink), you'd need to grind that area non-stop for 19.2 years.

Cryio

So people were running round with no shadows, thinking they had distant shadows? That doesn’t make sense, what is wrong with Splinter Cell fans?
Not a complete lack of shadows, but they made the already horrendous shadow draw distance even worse, haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom