• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame Collecting Sucks now (Youtube content 18 minutes watch time)

MrA

Banned
demand spiked, supply stayed
i have a great solution, don't pay more than you want to, problem solved you might not get all the toys you want but that's how life works
also whining about lrg, I only buy games from them I plan to open and enjoy if you just stick them on a shelf, stop, problem solved

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It all just looks like complete junk to me. Glad I got over having walls of crap I'll never actually use.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I collected a lot in my early to mid 20s but things were much cheaper then.

Eventually sold my whole collection. Dont regret it one bit.

Hobbies are expensive and these items are getting rarer+older and those who wnat to collect them physically are getting older and richer.

I dont see prices coming down anytime soon.

ShadowLag

Youtube collectors complain that retro collecting is too expensive now, while sitting in front of a wall of retro games. Then complain they can't afford to buy every special collectors edition and also about Limited Run Games business model that exists just to exploit their completionist OCD.

Lack of self awareness with these guys is amazing when they are part of the problem themselves. "Kids today won't be able to experience games as we did" argument falls down if you expect a kid to go out and find a CRT, original hardware with cables and the game media anyway.

Is it even worth collecting just for the bragging rights now rather than just emulate the games anyway?

They state in the video multiple times that they are aware they're partially part of the problem, but they also only buy items that they've had a personal connection with over the years and want to be able to play, not random things for completionist OCD. The wall of games behind them was built up over 30 years of actually playing and loving the games. He also suggests that newer, younger players who want to get into retro gaming or collecting should probably just use emulators in most cases.

Not sure what's going on with some of the haters in this thread, HCG has always been one of the realest.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Is it even worth collecting just for the bragging rights now rather than just emulate the games anyway?
It's understandable though. Many games have ridiculous prices.
There should be a legal way of purchasing Roms (legal Rom-Sharing websites) and/or new laws putting old games under public domain like it is with a lot of movies. Also it should be universally legal (not grey) to make dumps of legally purchased games too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am glad i kept all my GBA games.
and started getting the must haves 8 years ago or so dirt cheap.

did the same for snes and genesis.
Only thing i regret is not getting the neogeo aes cheaper..

so i settled with the Neogeo CD and a pack of fresh CD-r

also .. everdrive krikzz etc etc

Last edited:
I collected a lot in my early to mid 20s but things were much cheaper then.

Eventually sold my whole collection. Dont regret it one bit.

Hobbies are expensive and these items are getting rarer+older and those who wnat to collect them physically are getting older and richer.

I dont see prices coming down anytime soon.
You should never sell your older games, is one of the best investments you can do.

Imagine prices in 10 years. You'll be paying 1000 dollars for Mario 64.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
You should never sell your older games, is one of the best investments you can do.

Imagine prices in 10 years. You'll be paying 1000 dollars for Mario 64.

Doesnt matter to me because I know I will never buy them back.

Ya sure I could have gotten more if I kept them or they could have gotten burned in a fire or something. I made a good amount of money so I dont regret it at all.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ones mans hobby is another mans WTF, who am i too judge.. heres me thinking fuck i've bit of spare cash what'll i buy myself and then the wife turns round and says the kids need A, B & C.. the driveway needs replaced, the hallway needs redone... i envy people with disposable income to blow on stupid shit

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Ya sure I could have gotten more if I kept them or they could have gotten burned in a fire or something. I made a good amount of money so I dont regret it at all.
Life is too short for that shit

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Kids today won't be able to experience games as we did", yeah, same way that our parents with VCRs and cassete tapes also did. There's a magic there, but you still can hear the same songs and watch the same movies

Same thing with videogames. There's many ways to emulate nowadays - of course it's not the way it was original developed, but it's not like you can't play in any way or you can only play in a horrible form. It's fine

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
"Kids today won't be able to experience games as we did", yeah, same way that our parents with VCRs and cassete tapes also did. There's a magic there, but you still can hear the same songs and watch the same movies

Same thing with videogames. There's many ways to emulate nowadays - of course it's not the way it was original developed, but it's not like you can't play in any way or you can only play in a horrible form. It's fine

yup i agree.

I show my son some classic cartoons and stuff i watched when i was a kid. Some he likes some he doesnt. But i dont care that its not on VHS or live TV with no pause.

Same with games. I show him some classic games, emulated sometimes, but I dont htink he needs a full CRT setup to enjoy them.

nush

Gold Member

Can you imagine how much of a tool you'd look if you thought that kids could only experience older music "The right way" on Vinyl? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Collecting used to be fun 15 years ago prior to smart phones. It was always the thrill of the hunt. Getting up on Saturday morning and going to yard sales, flea markets. I’d find awesome games that I wanted to replay for affordable prices.

Now with smart phones everyone wants top dollar. Flea market resellers see “oh game A is listed on eBay for X dollars, I can sell it for that much.”

Like others have said, if you’re wanting to play these games in this day and age then emulation or a ROM cartridge is the way to go. I can assure you the game publisher is not getting a dime from the over priced cartridge Joe Bob at the swap meet is trying to charge.

And yes YouTubers are to blame. You could actually chart a games value and see the spike in price once Metal Jesus Rocks highlighted it on one of his “hidden gems” videos.
I tell them do it. Pay ebay their fees, 180 day returns and pay the taxes on it. They turn blue real quick when they treat it as a job and have to be responsible for all that shot.

levyjl1988

Banned
Retro games are whatever, you can easily emulate those on newer hardware. I grew up mostly with N64, Gamecube, GBA, DS, 3DS, etc. So I'll collect Gamecube and GBC/GBA onwards.
N64 was ok it was memorable, but the peak of gaming for me was right around the Xbox 360. I enjoyed Nintendo stuff but that's when more diverse games started happening. Boy did I get sucked in Halo 3 multiplayer.

kuncol02

Banned
Can you imagine how much of a tool you'd look if you thought that kids could only experience older music "The right way" on Vinyl? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Games are interactive medium, so ways you interact with them (what controllers you use, etc) are part of experience.
How much of experience during one of bosses in MGS is lost when you play on emulator with no other game save on memory card and with no physical change of controller port?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Games are interactive medium, so ways you interact with them (what controllers you use, etc) are part of experience.
How much of experience during one of bosses in MGS is lost when you play on emulator with no other game save on memory card and with no physical change of controller port?

Ya I get your point but does it even make sense if the person playing doesnt know what Castlevania is?

nush

Gold Member

Is any of that going to blow minds in 2021? Or just some annoyance and meta of it's time.

Nobody would have enjoyed any PS1 games in the west without Pocketstation support by your logic. You didn't get the full experience.

Bar81

Although in fairness its not only about the douchebaggery and unrelenting obnoxiousness of telling a person how to enjoy something (which is what these guys are doing in the video regarding video games - as if playing the game without looking at/smelling degraded cardboard packaging and poorly created manuals somehow makes the game less enjoyable), vinyl involves
coloring the music to give it an unnaturally sweet sound.

I have a large collection and I had just as much fun (if not more thanks to save states - I don't have the unlimited time I had as a kid) playing games on the Genny mini (actually MD Mini as I can't live without a whole lot of MUSHA) than I do in the strangely worshipped original way.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not sure what is more sad, the fact that so many folks on a gaming hobbyist forum decry collecting, refer to old games as trash, or the constant projections of their own failures onto Johnny and Rob.

He is but he has to understand he's part of the problem. Doubt he will admit that...

He literally did, in the video which you clearly didn't watch.

Is any of that going to blow minds in 2021? Or just some annoyance and meta of it's time.

Nobody would have enjoyed any PS1 games in the west without Pocketstation support by your logic. You didn't get the full experience.

There is absolutely something lost when playing games that were designed for specific hardware. Whether this is a deal breaker for yourself is for you to decide, but some folks want to experience the product how it was designed. Limitations and all.

There is only so far you can get with the utilization of emulators and shaders (such as RetroArch and the CRT-Royale shaders). It doesn't emulate it perfectly and still leaves a lot to be desired for purists and those interested in such things.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia

I have a not so irrational fear of losing things in a fire or natural disaster. Yes I have insurance, but having to deal with that would be a big hassle.

2 tornadoes have hit my town in the past 2 years (an F2 and an F3). One was literally spotted directly above where I live... and touched down a couple blocks down the street. I'm not even exaggerating... our neighborhood was blessed that night. The folks down the street, not so much (it destroyed about 40 houses, and damaged hundreds). Fortunately the loss of life was minimal for the type of storm it was...

Anywho... I began selling off most of my collection at the beginning of the year. I am hoping to sell atleast 50% this year and another 25% or so next year. So far I have made little more than double return on my investments, which isn't too shabby for just a little hobby.

I really enjoyed collecting over the years, but it's time I move on and declutter my life. I started collecting in 2005 and really collected until 2015 or so. 2007-2010 were really the golden years for me; there were still lots of deals to be found at garage sales and flea markets. And the online market wasn't crazy expensive either, and was great for finding super rare items that I would never find where I live. Online forums and allofcraigs.com were gold mines for find inexpensive and rare items.

BigBooper

The only thing I'm thinking about storing away for my retirement fund is my Wii U. I'm not convinced it will actually be a huge collectible because all of it's best games are already available on Switch. And sure, not a lot of them sold but the big boys have surely got new in box systems stored away for the future and mine don't even have a box.

Bar81

Not sure what is more sad, the fact that so many folks on a gaming hobbyist forum decry collecting, refer to old games as trash, or the constant projections of their own failures onto Johnny and Rob.

He literally did, in the video which you clearly didn't watch.

There is absolutely something lost when playing games that were designed for specific hardware. Whether this is a deal breaker for yourself is for you to decide, but some folks want to experience the product how it was designed. Limitations and all.

There is only so far you can get with the utilization of emulators and shaders (such as RetroArch and the CRT-Royale shaders). It doesn't emulate it perfectly and still leaves a lot to be desired for purists and those interested in such things.

This is probably the saddest post in this whole thread.

It starts off with butthurt pseudo-psychology and then mixes in the douchiness of telling people that somehow games aren't the "same" if they're emulated and to "prove" his nonexistent point, uses a 1,000x magnification of the eyes of a game sprite. Get the FO with that nonsense. Emulation today perfectly allows people to enjoy games as intended in 99.9% of use cases and that's why collecting is optional and becoming a case of stealth bragging more than anything.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I collect my pieces of toe and finger nails. I tried 3D printing them but it's just not the same =/

SpiceRacz

Collecting in the 90s and early 2000s was amazing. Wasn't unusual to pick up games like Earthbound or a boxed Sega Saturn or something like that for next to nothing at swap meets or on Craigslist. Those days are gone though and not coming back.

sn0man

yup i agree.

I show my son some classic cartoons and stuff i watched when i was a kid. Some he likes some he doesnt. But i dont care that its not on VHS or live TV with no pause.

Same with games. I show him some classic games, emulated sometimes, but I dont htink he needs a full CRT setup to enjoy them.
If I chose the kid route I plan to have them experience the full CRT setup but I know in my heart it’s more for me than for them.

retrotink crt-Royale and plenty of other stuff like emulators get you pretty close.

a discussion could be had about oem controllers but I appreciate the do what works for you thing.

I just want one of those ultimate retro pads for me and my buddies to play 8-bit through xbox360 stuff once I’m more settled.

sn0man

It’s kinda like having someone watch a 4:3 movie on a widescreen tv in stretch. We can discuss some of the details but there is a sense of trying to provide a very decent close to authentic experience for the player.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
After purchasing the Super NT and Mega SG, I started looking into getting all my old favorites. The price tag on some of these games is crazy. Kicking myself for selling or trading most of my games in the late 90s. Thankfully, my copy of Crusader of Centy($500(!) for just the cart now) escaped my stupidity.

My brother has a nice collection of games from the cartridge consoles. He doesn’t collect NIB, just important games for each console which he keeps in custom cases. He has all the Analogue FPGA consoles and had modded his N64 to output HDMI. His Dreamcast was modded to output HDMI and the disc drive replaced with a MODE. He has everything set to mod the Saturn and PS1 the same way. He’s selling his collection of PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast discs as they are no longer of any use (optical media sucks too). He’ll make a ton off those libraries which he can put into other parts of his collection.

His collection is worth much more than what he put into it as he’s always been patient enough to wait for the right pricing instead of blowing money to get something NOW like so many collectors seem to do. He also plays the games he collects.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It starts off with butthurt pseudo-psychology and then mixes in the douchiness of telling people that somehow games aren't the "same" if they're emulated and to "prove" his nonexistent point, uses a 1,000x magnification of the eyes of a game sprite. Get the FO with that nonsense. Emulation today perfectly allows people to enjoy games as intended in 99.9% of use cases and that's why collecting is optional and becoming a case of stealth bragging more than anything.

Psuedo-psychology? No, that is just reality. Anyone who relies on petty insults like the ones seen in this thread are clearly projecting onto others their own failings (kind of like what you are doing).

Also it is a simple fact that things are different between playing on original hardware versus emulation and that emulation with shaders can not reach the same level as that original hardware. This can't be debated. Now whether or not this is an issue for *you* is only for you to decide, which is literally what I stated.

Clearly I hit too close to home for you, kiddo. Lay off the projection and actually discuss like an adult.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Psuedo-psychology? No, that is just reality. Anyone who relies on petty insults like the ones seen in this thread are clearly projecting onto others their own failings (kind of like what you are doing).

Also it is a simple fact that things are different between playing on original hardware versus emulation and that emulation with shaders can not reach the same level as that original hardware. This can't be debated. Now whether or not this is an issue for *you* is only for you to decide, which is literally what I stated.

Clearly I hit too close to home for you, kiddo. Lay off the projection and actually discuss like an adult.
You are correct in your point, however a lot (and I mean probably 90% of times) the difference is completely irrelevant from a gameplay perspective. The other 10% left is related to poor emulation (which could be improved if there is more demand for these consoles) and in this case I agree, there is such gameplay impact that makes sense argue in favor of the original hardware to properly play.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned

I don't see why his argument about how games look should be dismissed so easily. Not caring about the collecting side of things at all here.

These games don't look, sound and play the same when played on original hardware, with an original controller and a CRT. You can emulate stuff, play seated in front of your PC with an Xbox 360 controller, super clean pixels, and whatever sound you get. This can be satisfactory conditions for you, and for many. But it is no way the same experience as the original hardware, accessories and CRT.

I know this perfectly well. I have my CRT and my HDTV standing right next to each other. I have a Wii U with Retroarch, which is one of the most convenient and cheap ways to access a ton of emulators. And of course, I have original consoles plugged in RGB SCART in my TV (Saturn, MegaDrive/MegaCD/32X).

You are never going to replicate the visuals and the smoothness of the picture you get on CRT on any modern display. Integer scaling isn't even that old, which means people have been playing emulators with shimmering, or awful filters, all this time... Sound is now okay, but for many many years, it was pretty shit in MegaDrive emulators. And I don't know if you play with an original MegaDrive controller on your PC, I doubt it. Closest I have are Saturn SLS USB controllers, which I believe are very difficult to come by now.

His point about composite is true as well. Many games were created with the fact that pixels would be merged if displayed with composite. You see this everywhere in 16 and 32 bits consoles. It was a way to achieve more colors on screen, and simulate transparency. CRT also have a natural ability to define much clearly things displayed (there is a recent DF video that shows this, with higher resolution games, it is pretty impressive), and his example works well (dracula picture) because it is actually true for absolutely everything. CRT slightly merges things together, which leads to pixels not being so visible. In the end, you get a picture that is much softer to the eye, and combined with the super smooth scrolling of the CRT (which not a single modern display duplicates), you get a much better experience. Even if you can replicate the composite effect with filters (that would probably still look different than the real thing), you are not going to make your LCD/OLED screen smooth during scrolling.

So unless you are using a CRT to display your emulated stuff (which I suppose is possible in some way, but probably pretty complicated), you are not getting the same experience. As I said earlier in this thread, it is still possible to find a working CRT, you can buy a cheap MegaDrive with controller and an Everdrive. Add a SCART RGB or S-Video cable to it, and you get a much better experience than on HD TVs. Definitely not the same as on an HD TV, that's for sure.

You are correct in your point, however a lot (and I mean probably 90% of times) the difference is completely irrelevant from a gameplay perspective.
Having a perfectly smooth scrolling in 2D is relevant 100% of the time. Unless you plug your emulator on a CRT, you are not getting this experience.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
I don't see why his argument about how games look should be dismissed so easily. Not caring about the collecting side of things at all here.

These games don't look, sound and play the same when played on original hardware, with an original controller and a CRT. You can emulate stuff, play seated in front of your PC with an Xbox 360 controller, super clean pixels, and whatever sound you get. This can be satisfactory conditions for you, and for many. But it is no way the same experience as the original hardware, accessories and CRT.

I know this perfectly well. I have my CRT and my HDTV standing right next to each other. I have a Wii U with Retroarch, which is one of the most convenient and cheap ways to access a ton of emulators. And of course, I have original consoles plugged in RGB SCART in my TV (Saturn, MegaDrive/MegaCD/32X).

You are never going to replicate the visuals and the smoothness of the picture you get on CRT on any modern display. Integer scaling isn't even that old, which means people have been playing emulators with shimmering, or awful filters, all this time... Sound is now okay, but for many many years, it was pretty shit in MegaDrive emulators. And I don't know if you play with an original MegaDrive controller on your PC, I doubt it. Closest I have are Saturn SLS USB controllers, which I believe are very difficult to come by now.

His point about composite is true as well. Many games were created with the fact that pixels would be merged if displayed with composite. You see this everywhere in 16 and 32 bits consoles. It was a way to achieve more colors on screen, and simulate transparency. CRT also have a natural ability to define much clearly things displayed (there is a recent DF video that shows this, with higher resolution games, it is pretty impressive), and his example works well (dracula picture) because it is actually true for absolutely everything. CRT slightly merges things together, which leads to pixels not being so visible. In the end, you get a picture that is much softer to the eye, and combined with the super smooth scrolling of the CRT (which not a single modern display duplicates), you get a much better experience. Even if you can replicate the composite effect with filters (that would probably still look different than the real thing), you are not going to make your LCD/OLED screen smooth during scrolling.

So unless you are using a CRT to display your emulated stuff (which I suppose is possible in some way, but probably pretty complicated), you are not getting the same experience. As I said earlier in this thread, it is still possible to find a working CRT, you can buy a cheap MegaDrive with controller and an Everdrive. Add a SCART RGB or S-Video cable to it, and you get a much better experience than on HD TVs. Definitely not the same as on an HD TV, that's for sure.

Having a perfectly smooth scrolling in 2D is relevant 100% of the time. Unless you plug your emulator on a CRT, you are not getting this experience.
If the problem is the CRT you can always downscale the output, for example, from a Raspberry PI, and connect it to a CRT screen. This has nothing to do with the emulation per se, and more to the screen you are outputting to.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s so much easier just going all digital and not caring about super mega ultra editions with preorder bonuses and things. No cases and boxes, no silly worthless knick knacks, just the ability to download any of your games to any console no matter where you are.

Top Bottom