• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VICE - In Conversation with ‘Final Fantasy XV’ Director Hajime Tabata

Koozek

New interview with Tabata from VICE about the delay, the reaction to it, the level of reality and groundedness, whether there is too much cross-media etc. Thanks to @RedMakuzawa for tweeting it.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/in-c...-hajime-tabata-square-enix-gamescom-interview

VICE:
Two months more to wait for Final Fantasy XV isn't a great length of time, given the game's been in development, on and off, for about a decade. But what areas for you were standing out as absolutely requiring the extra time?

Hajime Tabata:
How long did you play the game for, so far?

VICE:
About four hours, from very the beginning.

Hajime Tabata:
Okay, so that opening area is one that you'll be able to have a lot of fun in. But if you played the game for 40, maybe 50 hours, you'll have come across areas where the playability, as it stands, isn't quite where we want it to be. And there are still some bugs in the game's later areas, and other parts where the optimisation isn't quite at the standard we're aiming for.

The real issue is that if we tried to deal with the issues the game has with a patch, because we were thinking that way initially, there'd still be a lot of people around the world who would only be playing from the disc, without connecting to the internet for the update. They would see the game in what we consider an unfinished state, and that was a real problem for me.

[...]

VICE:
And what about the reaction to the delay? A small minority of internet dickheads aside, I think those who've been waiting years for this game aren't about to kick up a stink over two more months.

Hajime Tabata:
I know that people have different opinions on what we've done here, but I do try to avoid the forums where people say things without having to take any responsibility for doing so. I much prefer to listen to the opinions of journalists, and speaking to fans face to face about things. That's where I think the most valuable information comes from.​

[...]

VICE:
This game's been a long time coming, of course. You took over as director, exclusively, in 2014. What has the process, the experience, taught you about making games, and what lessons are you taking forward into new projects?

Hajime Tabata:
I've learned a lot from making this game. And it's worth saying that through the process of making XV, we now have a solid production base, which represents groundwork for the future. I have so many expectations for what we can do now, with the experience we have; I think we can move forward as a team and make even better games.

What taught me a lot, though, was the global strategy for this game. This whole thing, like what we're doing now, with me going abroad before the game is finished, talking to people while the game is still in development, that's something that I never really did before. I don't think that we, as the Final Fantasy studio, ever really did this before.

I was in London, just the other day, after we'd had a meeting about the delay. I had a day off, and I walked around, and I was thinking about how much more we could do with this game, with future games. I was looking at all the European architecture, and thinking about how we could mix that into these games, to make these fantasies more realistic, but also more fantastical. It was really inspiring.

But this, all the making of XV, it's all been fun – a lot more fun than it has been stressful. Of course, it's not been without some stress. That will always be there, whatever you make, because of the fans' expectations. They're so high for this game, and that does weigh on us when it comes to working out the best ways forward. But also, that expectation is a joyous thing.​

benzy

VICE: "What I don't like so far about Final Fantasy XV can be written on the back of a beermat, in large, all-capital letters. I dislike how the car – so widely trailered – is effectively on-rails while on the road, even when "you", Prince Noctis Lucius Caelum, are at the wheel. I was hoping for the same relationship between it and its charges as Geralt had with Roach in The Witcher 3: that go-anywhere (within the confines of physical possibility) freedom. But instead, driving in FFXV extends to holding down the right trigger to accelerate and letting the vehicle steer itself, with U-turns and parking automated animations activated by a single face button."

Man, I hope they gave their car gameplay impressions to Tabata. There's two different car modes both highly automated on rails that practically does the same thing, only real difference is you just hold the gas button in one. smh.

Setsu00

Listening to every poster on the internet is probably a bad idea and Tabata is rightfully trying to avoid this, but could someone please explain to me why they set up an official FFXV forum if the man at the helm of the project dislikes feedback in that form? The FFXV forum never made any sense to begin with, but it's even more stupid when you take Tabata's comment into consideration.

benzy

Listening to every poster on the internet is probably a bad idea and Tabata is rightfully trying to avoid this, but could someone please explain to me why they set up an official FFXV forum if the man at the helm of the project dislikes feedback in that form? The FFXV forum never made any sense to begin with, but it's even more stupid when you take Tabata's comment into consideration.

The official forum has post ratings. The NA community manager can easily tell which is a legit concern/feedback versus a troll comment to relay back to the devs. They really only look at the highly rated feedback posts. It worked pretty well and the official forum hasn't really turned into some huge troll fest for the game like on gamefaqs, 4chan.

VICE: "What I don't like so far about Final Fantasy XV can be written on the back of a beermat, in large, all-capital letters. I dislike how the car – so widely trailered – is effectively on-rails while on the road, even when "you", Prince Noctis Lucius Caelum, are at the wheel. I was hoping for the same relationship between it and its charges as Geralt had with Roach in The Witcher 3: that go-anywhere (within the confines of physical possibility) freedom. But instead, driving in FFXV extends to holding down the right trigger to accelerate and letting the vehicle steer itself, with U-turns and parking automated animations activated by a single face button."

Man, I hope they gave their car gameplay impressions to Tabata. There's two different car modes both highly automated on rails that practically does the same thing, only real difference is you just hold the gas button in one. smh.

That is mad disappointing.

SOLDIER

I can't believe the interviewer said that and I can't believe it wasn't edited out. Yikes.

If you've been following the posts in every thread about the game's visuals, performance, English cast, title font, and continued existence of not being Versus XIII, the insult is highly justified.

Squire

Banned
If you've been following the posts in every thread about the game's visuals, performance, English cast, title font, and continued existence of not being Versus XIII, the insult is highly justified.

???

Y'all need to get the chip off your shoulder. Seriously. Using "dickheads" in an interview like this is extremely tacky and unprofessional. This guy isn't talking to some alt-rock base player in a Malibu dive bar.

And it's not that big a deal, I'm just shocked the guy said it.

McBryBry

The car comments remind me... The car seems to always be smooth sailing. Do we know if there will ever be moments like having to stop because a behemoth is demolishing another car in the middle of the road?

jennetics

Hey Koozek, I think your post may need some editing. Not trying to be petty or anything either, hope it doesn't come across like that.

VICE:
This game's been a long time coming, of course. You took over as director, exclusively, in 2014. What has the process, the experience, taught you about making games, and what lessons are you taking forward into new projects?
I've learned a lot from making this game. And it's worth saying that through the process of making XV, we now have a solid production base, which represents groundwork for the future. I have so many expectations for what we can do now, with the experience we have; I think we can move forward as a team and make even better games.

Should probably be under Hajiime Tabata since it sounds like that's him talking.

Setsu00

Most of these things are legit criticisms other than the Versus XIII controversy. You're not a dickhead if you point out that the visuals aren't up to FF's usual standard or that the game's performance is subpar. Granted, it all boils down to how you phrase your statements, but most of the comments I've seen around here are rather civil.

I'd be much more upset about the car if we didn't have chocobos but we do so I don't mind.

Second we get chocobos I'm off road. Only touching that thing again when it can fly

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

What taught me a lot, though, was the global strategy for this game. This whole thing, like what we're doing now, with me going abroad before the game is finished, talking to people while the game is still in development, that's something that I never really did before. I don't think that we, as the Final Fantasy studio, ever really did this before.
Always good to hear if nothing else that Tabata gets Square's shit together.

MilkBeard

I'd be much more upset about the car if we didn't have chocobos but we do so I don't mind.

Second we get chocobos I'm off road. Only touching that thing again when it can fly

Yes, the fact that we can go almost everywhere on a chocobo makes the car restriction less of a problem. I'm honestly more interested in running around the world via chocobo.

Koozek

Hey Koozek, I think your post may need some editing. Not trying to be petty or anything either, hope it doesn't come across like that.

VICE:

Should probably be under Hajiime Tabata since it sounds like that's him talking.

Oh, you're right, thanks!

He listened to the constructive ciriticism on the forum, though:
Hello QuantumParallax,

Tabata here.
Thank you for your excellent comment. I have some answers for you.

Your point about Ignis in the English language version is a valid one. Using the intricacies of language to make the experience more fun for players is fine, but if the character's personality changes across languages and becomes someone else, the original intent is lost.

We've put a lot of care into making the unique character that is Ignis, and to ensure the character is communicated as intended, I've seated the Localization Lead, Dan Inoue, right by me in the development area.

As to your point about Cidney/Cindy, a minor name change may not have created issues in past FF games, but it does for FF XV. I think it has to do with the fact we are targeting a simultaneous global launch.

Rest assured that we're discussing these issues internally and working out the best way to improve things, so I hope you can look forward to what you'll see in the final product.

Thank you very much.​

faridmon

Which character, from the core four, is emerging as the fan favourite?

Truthfully, the character we see most people cosplaying as is Cindy. We always see people dressed up as her at events.

GODDAMN IT TABATA!

That's a safe bet. It seems from his comments that the extra development time will be dedicated to bringing late game areas up to the quality of starting areas. Bummer really.

Nothing in the interview indicated any mention of the 'quality' in terms of what can be explored etc. but purely from a performance perspective.

Idk why you'd think a delay in relation to performance would be used to make significant changes to areas in the game.

Setsu00

Well, yes, but he mentioned that he prefers talking to journalists or to fans face to face and based on this and his frequent habit to answer a potentially vague question with another question to clarify what the speaker meant, I guess that he is interested in direct communication. Forum posts don't really fulfill these criteria, especially when there is a language barrier and that's what I wanted to point out. That being said, Tabata posted five times on the official forum and his last posts didn't even include an English translation - he's probably either not interested in the forums or simply has no time to answer. I'm not trying to attack him. His comment from the interview just struck me as strange.

SOLDIER

Most of these things are legit criticisms other than the Versus XIII controversy. You're not a dickhead if you point out that the visuals aren't up to FF's usual standard or that the game's performance is subpar. Granted, it all boils down to how you phrase your statements, but most of the comments I've seen around here are rather civil.

They may be legit criticisms in theory, but when you're basing them from off-camera footage of a reportedly unfinished build and making comparisons to PS1 textures, those criticisms become steeped in hyperbole.

21XX

Banned
???

Y'all need to get the chip off your shoulder. Seriously. Using "dickheads" in an interview like this is extremely tacky and unprofessional. This guy isn't talking to some alt-rock base player in a Malibu dive bar.

He's also not talking to the President. It was casual conversation.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They may be legit criticisms in theory, but when you're basing them from off-camera footage of a reportedly unfinished build and making comparisons to PS1 textures, those criticisms become steeped in hyperbole.
My criticism of the game's poor LOD and texture quality was valid, accurate and not at all steeped in hyperbole and in case you weren't keeping up I used direct footage from an 8gb video as the basis of my critique.

???

I'm sure the Japanese translator used a softer word.

Ran rp

My criticism of the game's poor LOD and texture quality was valid, accurate and not at all steeped in hyperbole and in case you weren't keeping up I used direct footage from an 8gb video as the basis of my critique.

Yeah. I don't think anyone even bothered with the cam footage besides saying it looked better than the direct feed stuff.

It's lame when people twist things around like this.

Top Bottom