• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Watch Dogs Legion 60fps Mode PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Jose92

[Membe

The versions tested were 2.13.0.0 on Xbox Series consoles and 1.120.000 on PS5. There may be some time of day variance in some clips. Watch Dogs Legion on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles have two modes: a 30fps mode with Ray Tracing and a 60fps mode that doesn't have Ray Tracing.
The footage in this video and the information below are for the 60fps mode. Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2364x1330. Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3392x1908 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2080x1180. Native resolution pixel counts at 3392x1908 seem to be rare on PS5. PS5 uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution. In some scenes the resolution difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X can be smaller than it is at the highest and lowest resolutions found, with one scene rendering at approximately 3100x1744 on PS5 and approximately 3392x1908 on Xbox Series X and another scene rendering at approximately 2800x1575 on PS5 and approximately 2951x1660 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1200x675. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
PS5 has improved texture filtering compared to the Xbox consoles https://bit.ly/2TGox2B
PS5 and Xbox Series X have some enhancements over Xbox Series S such as: an improved LOD transition distance (5:03) and a longer draw distance for certain objects (6:14) Some aspects of the game update at 30hz such as car wheels.

Stats: https://bit.ly/2T47yqw Frames Pixel Counted: https://bit.ly/3uYp8cN

TL;DR: PS5 has a little edge in performance, Series X has a little edge in resolution.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I was playing in a few days ago and the quality difference between 30 and 60 fps is H U G E ... it literally looks like generic shit once on 60 fps mode...

Clearly they can do a lot better.... and follow Insomniac's approach for both consoles...

W E A K and a huge letdown...

Last edited:
They sound pretty close. Of course the XSX does better with resolution while texture filtering is nice on the PS5. Not a deal breaker either way but it's nice to see the framerate is solid on both.

TL;DR: PS5 has a little edge in performance, Series X has a little edge in resolution.

Pretty much what's expected at this point. I'm just happy that WeakStation 5 turned out to be false. While slightly weaker it's still able to compete with the XSX.

Last edited:

skit_data

Oh man, compared to how PS4 and X1 were weak on release in 2013 this time around both PS5 and XsX are truly beasts.

Honestly,since both consoles are strong i can even see this gen lasts for 8 years (with PS5 pro around 2024, same cpu/ssd but around 40TF GPU)
40 TFs seems a bit excessive, but I could see them doubling the amount of CUs

onesvenus

Better performance and better AF… slightly lower resolution.

PS5 King.

PS. 675p lol I can be forgetting some game but I don’t remember my base PS4 ever reaching that low.
So a minimum resolution difference of 12000 pixels is "slightly lower" but a 0.02 median framerate increase is "better performance"?
It's so funny seeing fanboys wanting a win for their plastic box

elliot5

So a minimum resolution difference of 12000 pixels is "slightly lower" but a 0.02 median framerate increase is "better performance"?
It's so funny seeing fanboys wanting a win for their plastic box
The drive by shit posts just looking at numbers in a recap rather than watching the video and comparing the picture quality are always a thing. I downloaded the AF comparisons from his drive folder and I can't see a difference. I'm viewing from my phone, but it's not like the Outriders demo drastic difference.

Reindeer

Oh man, compared to how PS4 and X1 were weak on release in 2013 this time around both PS5 and XsX are truly beasts.

Honestly,since both consoles are strong i can even see this gen lasts for 8 years (with PS5 pro around 2024, same cpu/ssd but around 40TF GPU)
40 tflops? We may not even see that in PS6. We're in diminishing returns territory with die shrink and how much performance you can get in console form factor. Most likely you'll get double the performance with Pro consoles (20-24 tflops) and that should be enough for 4K60 and 120fsp at lower resolution.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Was the better texture filtering on PS5 known before? Can’t remember I’ve heard of it before this comparison
Yeah.

-

Seems solid all around, lowest res on the Series S is a bit rough but I doubt it'll be close to that a lot of the time.

The drive by shit posts just looking at numbers in a recap rather than watching the video and comparing the picture quality are always a thing. I downloaded the AF comparisons from his drive folder and I can't see a difference. I'm viewing from my phone, but it's not like the Outriders demo drastic difference.
Might be harder to see on a phone but look at the bar.
I'll crop the shots and post them here.
Edit:
Bar.gif

Last edited:

SmokSmog

In mid 2022 AMD RDNA3 will have 2x80CU MCM, so it will have at least 40TF, realistically with 2,5ghz clocks it will be 51TF

Nvidia lovelace top sku ( late 2022) will have 18K FP32 cores, so 70TF at 2ghz. Of course teraflops on both architectures are not comparable in games but in productivity ( rendering) 70TF will be super fast.

Last edited:

elliot5

Reindeer

In mid 2022 AMD RDNA3 will have 2x80CU MCM, so it will have at least 40TF, realistically with 2,5ghz clocks it will be 51TF

Nvidia lovelace top sku ( late 2022) will have 18K FP32 cores, so 70TF at 2ghz. Of course teraflops on both architectures are not comparable in games but in productivity ( rendering) 70TF will be super fast.
That GPU will probably be using at least 350 watts (could be 400), so not really for console form factor. Also Ampere tflops do not scale 1:1 with Turing or RDNA2, their number is far exaggerated compared to other architectures.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Better performance and better AF… slightly lower resolution.

PS5 King.

PS. 675p lol I can be forgetting some game but I don’t remember my base PS4 ever reaching that low.
Its an interesting strategy releasing a cheap weaker model alongside the standard ones. but honestly i expect Series S to get worse as the generation goes on, it will make PS5Series X look hotter. i wonder how low can it go 480p?

The base PS4 imo aged well, i expect even better PS5 and Series X thanks to the S

Rea

They sound pretty close. Of course the XSX does better with resolution while texture filtering is nice on the PS5. Not a deal breaker either way but it's nice to see the framerate is solid on both.

Pretty much what's expected at this point. I'm just happy that WeakStation 5 turned out to be false. While slightly weaker it's still able to compete with the XSX.
I don't know, higher AF with abit better performance but abit lower resolution should be called weaker. Should we?
Why can't we accept that they are Tied. One has advantage and disadvantages when compared to another.

Rea

I wouldn't bet too much on PS5 pro.
Base PS5 is already powerful enough to last an entire generation. We don't have to go down to that TF trend, do we?

I don't know, higher AF with abit better performance but abit lower resolution should be called weaker. Should we?
Why can't we accept that they are Tied. One has advantage and disadvantages when compared to another.

I mean the XSX is the most powerful of the two but it's not like it's a gen ahead or anything. And what muddies the comparisons are the advantages the PS5 has with it's hardware. If I owned both i would go with the version with the best controller features. I'm not sure how this title takes advantage of the dualsense though.

Arioco

Was the better texture filtering on PS5 known before? Can’t remember I’ve heard of it before this comparison

Yup, I said PS5 had better AF when I saw the first comparisons of this game, so PS5 already had this advantage in the 30 fps mode. I even took some shots that I still have.

PS5:

TtqOYpr.png

Series X:

AKUMNM0.png

PS5:

bhOGw04.png

Series X:

RgRnie2.png

Both at the same time without zooming:

KQrUSBX.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea why PS5 has better texture filtering. Series X has more bandwidth and should have a slight edge when it comes to AF, but that the way things are. And this is not the only case where we can see better AF on PS5. Maybe it's something related to devkits, who knows.

Rea

I mean the XSX is the most powerful of the two but it's not like it's a gen ahead or anything.
If you're solely comparing the TF metric then yes. But, as alot of people already said TF alone doesn't determine the final outcome. As you can see in alot of games, both have advantages and disadvantages, it's even very hard to find the difference with naked eyes.
So, i disagree with that XSX is the most powerful.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Could it be related to DirectX?

Do these games on PC exhibit worse AF? Is it on the Series consoles only?
Absolutely could be, if GDK is at state as their software updates, than anything is possible... It worked last gen though in XDK, even though the consoles didn't really have muscle for it. But you can do it without crashing.

Bought the game a coupla days ago and I must say I'm shocked at the technical state of this game. This has got to be the worst cross-gen so far from a technical standpoint. Massive disappointment.

Klik

40 tflops? We may not even see that in PS6. We're in diminishing returns territory with die shrink and how much performance you can get in console form factor. Most likely you'll get double the performance with Pro consoles (20-24 tflops) and that should be enough for 4K60 and 120fsp at lower resolution.
Well RTX 3080 in 2020 has 30Teraflops so, depends how will tech develop in next 4 years, its quite possible to have something like RTX 7060 in 2024 with 40TF.

So who knows, nobody even thought we would have 699$ 30tf GPU in 2020.

Top Bottom