• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGtech: Skyrim Special Edition PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Riky

$MSFT
1.) most displays do not have VRR support and many that do (OLED’s) have brightness and contrast fluctuation issues in VRR mode that some my brain more sensitive to than others

2.) VRR as a crutch prioritises a tiny minority of users

3.) If you have small variations at a high framerate is best, but a game dipping into low
40’s or mid 30’s and then back at 60 FPS will still appear to slow down (just without judder or tearing)

The day 1.) is fixed properly and VRR is available to most consumers will be great, but 3.) will still be a problem.

It's available to everyone who can or who wants to invest in it, since this is a gaming community then the last poll shows a sizeable portion of people had done so.

FranXico

Again, factually we don't know that the PS5 version is native. If the Xbox version is suspect then so is the PS5 version.
The PS5 version is packaged as a PS5 game. It supports trophy tracking, activity cards, and fine-grained localization control (one can choose which languages to install).

That has been the story since forever.
  • If PS5 outperforms, "devs optimized the game more for PS"
  • If XSX outperforms, "this is the power of the XSX"
Egos will be shattered and lives will be ruined if they had to admit that PS5 can be better in some games, while XSX can be better in some games.

The game can literally be run from any external drive on Series X. That alone is evidence this isn't built on the Series X native dev environment, and thus hardly representative. Don't know about anybody else, but I've never put serious stock into a BC game for the purpose of comparisons. I HAVE highlighted Microsoft's incredible and extensive BC support as a strength of the console, however.

Looks like people blew their loads prematurely, BC doesn't count after all 🤭

(I haven't read through the entire thread, but I think the real reason why PS5 "wins" hasn't even been mentioned yet)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It is rebuilt, it has to be updated to be aware it's running on a Series console. It does not mean it's a native game though, as the part you quoted notes.

Ok.....weird, but ok.

Can you point to ANY PS5 running a PS4 backwards compatible title outperforming an Xbox title doing the same thing? If this game ONLY runs on the internal drive that is all the proof needed. Native PS5 titles only run on the internal drive. Can anyone find out of the title can run on an external drive on PS5?

I have no idea. I'm not the one questioning the legitimacy of this upgrade. Seems pretty clear PS5 doesn't have this "gen 9 aware" equivalent and so there isn't this fuzzy middle ground where being "aware" allows the game to run from external storage. So if that makes the game "native" then fine, but that is still just guessing as we don't have hard factual information.

What we do know is the Xbox version is said to have "enhanced graphics, faster loading times and more", but still is in this weird "gen 9 aware" state. This has been one strange "upgrade" that much is certain.

Edit: FranXico FranXico pointed out the PS5 features that would seem to indicate the game is native PS5 so I'll go along with what he said.

My claim was that this title is Gen9 aware X1 game. That was confirmed by the actual file data shown on the Xbox. I provided a video proving that. I never mentioned that MS lied. In fact I only used that term after you brought it up. I have no reason to back off my claim of this being a Gen9 aware X1 title.

No, that wasn't your claim. "The Xbox version is the same version released previously. " That's what you said and that is what I quoted. The implications there are rather large regardless of you not seeing them at the time you said it.

The PS5 version is packaged as a PS5 game. It supports trophy tracking, activity cards, and fine-grained localization control (one can choose which languages to install).

Fair enough.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I’m surprised a game this old still has problems reaching 4K.

Are there new assets in the anniversary edition?
This may have been answered already, but the engine at the time wasn’t optimised for resolutions as high as 4k - it just doesn’t scale as well as you might hope. Even on today’s high end PCs it gets very demanding at 4k with mods, and this version is that same version of the engine as it always was (compiled in a newer version of Visual Studio, but still the same).

RafterXL

Yes, but this doesn't solve the problem of frames being dropped. The massive drops in CoD: Vanguard, for example, will still happen and VRR isn't going to prevent that from happening.
The difference is that you don't feel the drops with VRR, you do without it. It doesn't change that frames are dropped but who cares if you can't tell if they were dropped in the first place?

It's an objectively better, smoother experience having VRR than not, for as long as games have these issues, which means for as long as games are being made.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's available to everyone who can or who wants to invest in it, since this is a gaming community then the last poll shows a sizeable portion of people had done so.
Even for those it is available to in many cases it has issues and it will not make a 35 FPS dip feel like 60 FPS, which is where the exaggeration lies too.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The difference is that you don't feel the drops with VRR, you do without it. It doesn't change that frames are dropped but who cares if you can't tell if they were dropped in the first place?

It's an objectively better, smoother experience having VRR than not, for as long as games have these issues, which means for as long as games are being made.
You do feel the drops, unless they are really really brief… 35 FPS will not feel like 60 FPS.

RafterXL

sadly VRR is not used in consoles in an opportunistic way to remove vsync input lag

my friend's 120/144 hz monitor runs 60 hz on forza horizon 5's 60 fps mode, so its 60 fps / 60 hz vsync-locked... its just a contant 60 hz and game's refresh rate is synced to the screen instead of screen being synced to the framerate of the game (if that was the case, sync rate would fluctuate)

since I've learned this, it has been a big disappointment for me.. i simply don't like vsync input lag. ps4/xbox one had no other choice, but game devs can use VRR to reduce/remove vsync completely out of the picture by making games run at 120 hz mode (so the game can run between 59-61 hz with VRR). for the last 3 years, i've never felt the need of enabling VSYNC. i use framelimiters way belove my max refresh rate (120 fps mostly). if you're playing near your refresh rate (139-141) you may need to enable vsync to prevent occasional tear. but at 120 fps lock, my framerate never jumps above 120 fps so i never need to enable vsync at all (just a note)

console devs however just make the screen run at 60 hz and use the age old Vsync to do the job, despite running on a capable VRR screen. for the VRR to work the way I depicted, the screen would need to be on 120 hz output mode, and must be free to run between 57-63 hz (so that VRR can sync all fluctations without Vsync engaging)

this is just a out of topic rant about consoles and VRR. they simply don't do VRR justice and it may stop me from getting an actual console. why force a 144 hz screen to run 60 fps/60 hz with vsync, i will never understand. just cap to 60, let vrr handle it everything for high refresh rate vrr user
Your friends monitor is the problem. Both of my tvs (LG C1, Vizio PQX) with VRR run at 120hz regardless of the games framerate and just adjust. They don't drop down to whatever hz the game is running at as long at the output device, the XSX in this case, is set to 120hz.

You do feel the drops, unless they are really really brief… 35 FPS will not feel like 60 FPS.
You only feel drops when they are extreme and repetitive. And no one ever claimed a constant 35 fps would feel like 60, but a game dropping to 35 for a second and then to 60 feels a hell of a lot better with VRR enabled than without.

The bigger question is why are so many of you so adamant on shitting on a technology that is OBJECTIVELY better than not having it?

99% of the bullshit arguments on this forum would not exist if both consoles had VRR. 99% of the "performance" issues you guys squeal about would never be noticed if both consoles had VRR, and 99% of this shit will be moot when Sony finally gets off their collective asses and finally enables it.

FACT: VRR is amazing, and having it makes for an objectively better in-game experience, in multiple ways, over a non-VRR display. Anyone arguing otherwise is just flat out ignorant or lying.

Riky

$MSFT
Even for those it is available to in many cases it has issues and it will not make a 35 FPS dip feel like 60 FPS, which is where the exaggeration lies too.

Who said it makes 35fps feel like 60fps? It removes any chance of tearing and smooths out any juddering, that's is its sole purpose. It's better to remove tearing and judder if possible, I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

yamaci17

Your friends monitor is the problem. Both of my tvs (LG C1, Vizio PQX) with VRR run at 120hz regardless of the games framerate and just adjust. They don't drop down to whatever hz the game is running at as long at the output device, the XSX in this case, is set to 120hz.

You only feel drops when they are extreme and repetitive. And no one ever claimed a constant 35 fps would feel like 60, but a game dropping to 35 for a second and then to 60 feels a hell of a lot better with VRR enabled than without.

The bigger question is why are so many of you so adamant on shitting on a technology that is OBJECTIVELY better than not having it?

99% of the bullshit arguments on this forum would not exist if both consoles had VRR. 99% of the "performance" issues you guys squeal about would never be noticed if both consoles had VRR, and 99% of this shit will be moot when Sony finally gets off their collective asses and finally enables it.

FACT: VRR is amazing, and having it makes for an objectively better in-game experience, in multiple ways, over a non-VRR display. Anyone arguing otherwise is just flat out ignorant or lying.
show proof that your screen is running at 120 hz in forza horizon 5's performance mode with OSD refresh rate counter, I'll wait

Last edited:

yamaci17

That's quite easy to do on an LG with a few presses of the green button, it brings up the VRR frame counter.
Bruh, I'm a fan of VRR myself, a fanboy of VRR exactly, just like you. I don't have an Xbox so I cannot test it out, I have full %100 control over how my VRR functions on PC and I can remove reduce the Vsync completely out of the picture.

My friend have a high end 1440p 144 hz screen connected to an Xbox Series X. He also chose "120 hz output" in menu. Yet FH 5 makes his screen run at a constant 60 hz. He even says that once he goes back to Xbox menu, screen goes back to 120 hz output as well. I just carried his words, and I specifically said FH 5, so I'd expect the other clamaint to do so. If the VRR was active there's no way the refresh rate would be a rock solid 60. you and I know that no game ever runs at a perfect 60 FPS, it always fluctuates between 59.8-60.3, rightfully so, VRR will also fluctate if its engaged at 60 hz with 120 hz output. if its making a 1/2 vsync engaging at 60 fps/120 hz, it will again show a rock solid 120.0 hz, which will prove that VRR is disengaged again. To show that VRR is truly engaged in 60 FPS mode in FH 5, I need to see actual proof of a 60 hz fluctuatining minimally between 59.8-60.2 hz, because as I've said, i've literally never seen a VRR at 60 hz constantly staying at 60 Hz, which what we're seeing with my friend's screen, so it just signals that game simply uses the age old traditional vsync for a 60 fps / 60 hz lock.

maybe my friend setup something wrong, so if he gets a VRR enabled 60 hz refresh rate (fluctating between 59-61 like it would), i would also like him to show his xbox settings so that we can try on my friend because we're unable to get the game to disengage Vsync

in other words, for true non-input lag non -vsync VRR to be engaged, refresh rate should fluctuate to match the game's framerate (the game is not running at a perfect 60 fps. no game ever does, there will always be slight fluctuations that VRR will catch and sync nicely)

im pretty sure i will be misunderstood once again. oh well.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Bruh, I'm a fan of VRR myself, a fanboy of VRR exactly, just like you. I don't have an Xbox so I cannot test it out, I have full %100 control over how my VRR functions on PC and I can remove reduce the Vsync completely out of the picture.

My friend have a high end 1440p 144 hz screen connected to an Xbox Series X. He also chose "120 hz output" in menu. Yet FH 5 makes his screen run at a constant 60 hz. He even says that once he goes back to Xbox menu, screen goes back to 120 hz output as well. I just carried his words, and I specifically said FH 5, so I'd expect the other clamaint to do so. If the VRR was active there's no way the refresh rate would be a rock solid 60. you and I know that no game ever runs at a perfect 60 FPS, it always fluctuates between 59.8-60.3, rightfully so, VRR will also fluctate if its engaged at 60 hz with 120 hz output. if its making a 1/2 vsync engaging at 60 fps/120 hz, it will again show a rock solid 120.0 hz, which will prove that VRR is disengaged again. To show that VRR is truly engaged in 60 FPS mode in FH 5, I need to see actual proof of a 60 hz fluctuatining minimally between 59.8-60.2 hz, because as I've said, i've literally never seen a VRR at 60 hz constantly staying at 60 Hz, which what we're seeing with my friend's screen, so it just signals that game simply uses the age old traditional vsync for a 60 fps / 60 hz lock.

maybe my friend setup something wrong, so if he gets a VRR enabled 60 hz refresh rate (fluctating between 59-61 like it would), i would also like him to show his xbox settings so that we can try on my friend because we're unable to get the game to disengage Vsync

in other words, for true non-input lag non -vsync VRR to be engaged, refresh rate should fluctuate to match the game's framerate (the game is not running at a perfect 60 fps. no game ever does, there will always be slight fluctuations that VRR will catch and sync nicely)

im pretty sure i will be misunderstood once again. oh well.

None of that is your original comment, which was prove your screen runs in 120hz mode, like I said I can do that on my LG, when I get home from work I'll screenshot it during FH5 no problem.

Game looks exactly the same as I remember it. Looks like there's no graphical improvements whatsoever aside from frame rate and resolution.

Color me surprised at the game running at lower resolution on Series X than on PS5. Even a PS studio developed baseball game ran at consistent resolution and near-identical frame rates on PS5 and Series X.

Topher

Gold Member

You are equating being clear about what the technology does and does not with "shitting on a technology". You yourself just went from "you won't feel the drops" to you "only feel drops when they are extreme and repetitive" which is more accurate, but a very different statement altogether. Shitting on and embellishing what something does/does not is different sides of the same coin. I have had Freesync on my monitor for a couple of years. I know full well what it does and I've repeatedly said Sony needs to get this done. But when I see VRR thrown out continually as the mitigation of frame drops then I think that needs to be brought up and talked about. There is nothing wrong with that.

Andodalf

Banned
With my TV the VRR reading 120 FPS typically means I'm accidentally in 60 FPS mode as actual 120 FPS games rarely get there

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
None of that is your original comment, which was prove your screen runs in 120hz mode, like I said I can do that on my LG, when I get home from work I'll screenshot it during FH5 no problem.

I can actually back you up on this one as well as I checked the other day. If the xbox is set to output at 120Hz my LG CX shows the panel at the framerate of 120Hz, even if the game is a locked 60FPS like forza.

Don't know what this means, but I did check it the other day.

Just an FYI, yamaci17 yamaci17 . Maybe its different on a monitor?

Riky

$MSFT
I can actually back you up on this one as well as I checked the other day. If the xbox is set to output at 120Hz my LG CX shows the panel at the framerate of 120Hz, even if the game is a locked 60FPS like forza.

It does help if a game has variable frame times, I think DF did a video on it with Sekiro.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Started the PS5 version up over the weekend, and during the whole intro sequence when you're about to be walked off the cart to be killed, those two people calling the names and talking were running into each other and disappearing and reappearing.....completely took me out of it. You would think something like that would be immediately noticeable by QA and fixed.

I wasn't expecting the world, but damn, little things like that are unacceptable, IMO

Zimmy68

It also, as I found out, does not support the PS4 saves. Unless I am missing a conversion tool. You have to start from scratch.
XSX loaded up my old saves without issue.

yamaci17

maybe, i will inquiry further with my friend

FranXico

It also, as I found out, does not support the PS4 saves. Unless I am missing a conversion tool. You have to start from scratch.
XSX loaded up my old saves without issue.
Wrong.
The main menu has a "transfer save data" option, so saves can be converted directly in the storage. There is a manual step involved, but you do not need to start from scratch as far as saves are concerned.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Wrong.
The main menu has a "transfer save data" option, so saves can be converted directly in the storage. There is a manual step involved, but you do not need to start from scratch as far as saves are concerned.
Thanks, I missed that.

RafterXL

show proof that your screen is running at 120 hz in forza horizon 5's performance mode with OSD refresh rate counter, I'll wait
These first two are on my PQX when I switch from 120 to 60 hz on the XSX while the game is running:

These two are from my C1, same thing:

Sorry, but your friends "high end" monitor isn't setup correctly or just flat out doesn't work with VRR and the XSX correctly. As long as the XSX is set at 120hz it will not stick the display to 60hz mode in FH5, or any other game.

yamaci17

These first two are on my PQX when I switch from 120 to 60 hz on the XSX while the game is running:

These two are from my C1, same thing:

Sorry, but your friends "high end" monitor isn't setup correctly or just flat out doesn't work with VRR and the XSX correctly. As long as the XSX is set at 120hz it will not stick the display to 60hz mode in FH5, or any other game.
yes indeed, i made further inquiries with my friend and his monitor reverts to 60 hz mode when HDR is enabled. probably he's limited to hdmi 2.0 bandwidth, so he needs something with 2.1 to get the all goodies. when he disables HDR he gets 120 hz output like you but without the HDR (i assume you're on hdmi 2.1, rite?) its not so high end as we thought then lmao thats on me :pie_sad_relieved:

i apologise for the inconvenience... :(

Last edited:

RafterXL

yes indeed, i made further inquiries with my friend and his monitor reverts to 60 hz mode when HDR is enabled. probably he's limited to hdmi 2.0 bandwidth, so he needs something with 2.1 to get the all goodies. when he disables HDR he gets 120 hz output like you but without the HDR (i assume you're on hdmi 2.1, rite?) its not so high end as we thought then lmao thats on me :pie_sad_relieved:

i apologise for the inconvenience... :(
Yeah, both TVs are HDMI 2.1. And no worries, I'm glad you got it figured out. The HDR thing is a problem on a lot of PC monitors, even many of the good ones.

Top Bottom