• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGtech: Skyrim Special Edition PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Bothered? i payed this game 10yrs ago.

It doesn't drop, thus is consistant.
xIZMiRm.gif

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
? Ofcourse it is, it doesn't drop. So it is consistant. Unless my understanding of the word consistant is different than yours?

Anyway, whatever. I am not even going to play this again with gamepass.
I'm no English teacher but I'm telling you how can it be consistently higher when sometimes they both do 4k. Constantly means all the time.
What you are saying is PS5 is constantly 4k which I agree with.

Leyasu

Banned
I'm no English teacher but I'm telling you how can it be consistently higher when sometimes they both do 4k. Constantly means all the time.
What you are saying is PS5 is constantly 4k which I agree with.
You are right. Plus, VGtech have only tested a small portion of the game. Who knows how it performs onboth systems in the most taxing environments/areas.

Andodalf

Banned
Skyrim doesn’t really get more demanding later on, it’s just specific areas throughout. It’s going to be areas with tons of alpha, such as fire. Those are going to struggle no Matter when in the game they are. Areas with fog may as well.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Exactly

"Pixel counts at 2688x2160 seem to be rare"

So it's that or framerates dropping to the thirties, pick your poison
You seemed to be blindly ignoring the Series consoles getting similar hits to the 40s with DRS. Even using BC and being native 4K the Series consoles experience an exact hit as the native PS5 version at that same point in the game. So pick your poison because you’re losing either way.

Riky

$MSFT
You seemed to be blindly ignoring the Series consoles getting similar hits to the 40s with DRS. Even using BC and being native 4K the Series consoles experience an exact hit as the native PS5 version at that same point in the game. So pick your poison because you’re losing either way.

Not really, I use VRR.

Caio

case 1 : XSX has higher RES but PS5 has a very slight advantage in frame rate = XBox fans claim XSX is the winner 'cause RES is higher and frame rate is just very very marginally better on PS5. Playstation fans, on the other hand, claim PS5 is the winner, 'cause frame rate is king.

case 2 : PS5 has higher RES but XSX has a very slight advantage in frame rate = XBox fans claim XSX is the winner 'cause frame rate is king. Playstation fans claim PS5 is the winner, 'cause RES is higher and frame rate is just very very marginally better on Series X.

case 3 : the only one you should care about, there's no winner :D

RafterXL

People arguing over a frame here or a minimal resolution difference when the ACTUAL difference is the pathetic mod support on Playstation systems.

Xbox has 5gb available vs 1gb on Playstation. Xbox allows new scripts, sounds, textures, quests, gameplay, characters, armors, weapons, overhauls, etc. Playstation only allows in game assets to be reused. It's basically two completely different games.

Chiggs

Yes, framerate is basically identical and nearly locked 60 on both, 59.87 vs 59.93. PS5 is locked 60 fps 99.79 % of the time vs 99.89 % on Series X...

Talk about grasping at straws... Some fans are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a positive for Series X here.

At this point, they should just accept it's a bit inferior on this game due to PS5 native resolution advantage and move on.

You might want to examine your own post, which was a response to another post, which features what appears to be an Excel screenshot. On a VIDEO GAME FORUM.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
All these PS5 games we're seeing frame drops in could really be cleaned up with vrr. It's really helped on those XSX games with drops.

But isn't VRR primarily for eliminating screen tearing but also alleviating the potential for input lag that accompanies vsync? I see folks throwing out VRR like any and all frame drops will be fixed with this tech but not sure why. Anyone want to explain this?

How is it "shady" they have updated the game in some way, there are plenty of other games that are exactly the same.
I don't know about PS5 but on Xbox it's like Shadow Of The Tomb Raider and Sniper Elite 4, it's badged up as a Series app but still runs off an external as before. Looks like the most basic upgrade, I couldn't see any visual differences when I played it last night. It looked the same as the X1X version running on Series X.
Nuff said

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't get passed that matt guy saying xbox favours last gen engines etc but its always these last gen games that show advantages to ps5. It's weird.

Last edited:

RafterXL

But isn't VRR primarily for eliminating screen tearing but also alleviating the potential for input lag that accompanies vsync? I see folks throwing out VRR like any and all frame drops will be fixed with this tech but not sure why. Anyone want to explain this?
By constantly changing the refresh rate to match the fps it eliminates the studder, or perception of studder, that you get when frame rates fluctuate to the point that you won't notice frame drops that you'd otherwise notice without VRR enabled.

Basically you get better latency, no tearing, and smoother gameplay by using VRR on any game that isn't 100% locked at a single framerate.

Topher

Gold Member
By constantly changing the refresh rate to match the fps it eliminates the studder, or perception of studder, that you get when frame rates fluctuate to the point that you won't notice frame drops that you'd otherwise notice without VRR enabled.

Basically you get better latency, no tearing, and smoother gameplay by using VRR on any game that isn't 100% locked at a single framerate.

Yes, but this doesn't solve the problem of frames being dropped. The massive drops in CoD: Vanguard, for example, will still happen and VRR isn't going to prevent that from happening.

I can't get passed that matt guy saying xbox favours last gen engines etc but its always these last gen games that show advantages to ps5. It's weird.
Yup. I assume more cu's will be better over time. Just like with CPU. It's actually quite obvious if you look at the cu/sm progression vs clock progression over the last 10 years

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Except it’s not when the PS5 drops well below the XSX in frame rate. It’s even in the spreadsheet the OP linked to…

…and it’s something the OP *conveniently* left out of his overview because it makes the PS5 version look poor.

At best this is a tie, if not a win for the XSX.
alrighty then , lets wait for the digital foundary analysis as that is a very respected source among neogafers

Something that continues to blow me away time and time again is how well Skyrim ages. Bethesda has some of the best artists in the business by far. Some of the environments and set dressing they do for locations is some of the best you will see in games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
People arguing over a frame here or a minimal resolution difference when the ACTUAL difference is the pathetic mod support on Playstation systems.

Xbox has 5gb available vs 1gb on Playstation. Xbox allows new scripts, sounds, textures, quests, gameplay, characters, armors, weapons, overhauls, etc. Playstation only allows in game assets to be reused. It's basically two completely different games.
This shit isn't resolved on new systems? Besides they could have one up the available space even on Xbox. Embarassing.

It helps with screen tearing, perception of stuttering and input lag. Vsync only deals with the first problem.

Arioco

Except it’s not when the PS5 drops well below the XSX in frame rate. It’s even in the spreadsheet the OP linked to…

…and it’s something the OP *conveniently* left out of his overview because it makes the PS5 version look poor.

What? What did I leave out exactly? The text isn't mine, I just copy&pasted what VGTech wrote. Remember it's his comparison, not mine. But to top it all what you say it's not true, there's even a link to the stats in the first message of this thread so that anyone can see the average and minimum frame rate of each console.

Not a single word of that message is mine, I always just copy and paste whatever VGTech says. And I do it this way to prevent console warriors like you from saying nonsense.

Please, stop embarrassimg yourself.

Last edited:

onQ123

Yup. I assume more cu's will be better over time. Just like with CPU. It's actually quite obvious if you look at the cu/sm progression vs clock progression over the last 10 years

But at the same time if games start to use more memory Xbox Series X memory setup will bite it in the ass but Sampler Feedback will help keep the memory usage lower with newer games.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned
Yes, framerate is basically identical and nearly locked 60 on both, 59.87 vs 59.93. PS5 is locked 60 fps 99.79 % of the time vs 99.89 % on Series X...

Talk about grasping at straws... Some fans are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a positive for Series X here.

At this point, they should just accept it's a bit inferior on this game due to PS5 native resolution advantage and move on.

You're joking right?

Lysandros

So 'at best it's a tie, if not a win for XSX' just because PS5 version dropped lower than XSX for a sec in that scene while pushing 42% more pixels? What do you make of the moments where the FPS is the same and PS5 is still has 40% higher resolution then? XSX' FPS 'advantage' is 0.0015% in average despite dropping its resolution by 40% at some points. I have a hard time seeing a technical draw there. PS5 can outperform XSX in some situations, it happened before, we can accept and move on, this is not the end of the world.

Last edited:
But at the same time if games start to use more memory Xbox Series X memory setup will bite it in the ass but Sampler Feedback will help keep the memory usage lower with newer games.
Yeah it could, but I was only referring to cu/sm count. In GPUs frequently has not doubled in the past 10 years but cu/sm has tripled.

I know there were some celebration of this titles' performance on the PS5 and first off I'd like to say congrats to the Sony fans! Secondly I'd like to point out this video.

It shows in the game details section that despite this title being labeled X/S it is in fact an X1 gaming running in Gen 9 Aware mode. This explains why this title continues to run on off an external hard drive and isn't required to use the XSX|S SSD. This is not an example of either console being better than the other although it is nice that you aren't required to take up the faster storage on Xbox if you don't want to. Carry on.

onQ123

Yeah it could, but I was only referring to cu/sm count. In GPUs frequently has not doubled in the past 10 years but cu/sm has tripled.

Because the GPUs are being used for way more than gaming but consoles always got boost in clock frequency with the next generation of consoles

DeaDPo0L84

I don't know why people think it creates frames, it stops your display causing judder and tearing to dropped frames.
That's better than it not doing that, simple.
I never said it "creates" frames, I said makes up for. Just like v sync it's only within a certain variable. If I want to play a game @ 60fps and I'm using v sync but it keeps dipping into the 45 range I can't go "well thank god I'm using v sync", that makes absolutely no sense.

I mean sure in spots it'll help but in the exact scenario you were responding to it'd do jack shit if your goal is 60 which I assume it is.

yamaci17

sadly VRR is not used in consoles in an opportunistic way to remove vsync input lag

my friend's 120/144 hz monitor runs 60 hz on forza horizon 5's 60 fps mode, so its 60 fps / 60 hz vsync-locked... its just a contant 60 hz and game's refresh rate is synced to the screen instead of screen being synced to the framerate of the game (if that was the case, sync rate would fluctuate)

since I've learned this, it has been a big disappointment for me.. i simply don't like vsync input lag. ps4/xbox one had no other choice, but game devs can use VRR to reduce/remove vsync completely out of the picture by making games run at 120 hz mode (so the game can run between 59-61 hz with VRR). for the last 3 years, i've never felt the need of enabling VSYNC. i use framelimiters way belove my max refresh rate (120 fps mostly). if you're playing near your refresh rate (139-141) you may need to enable vsync to prevent occasional tear. but at 120 fps lock, my framerate never jumps above 120 fps so i never need to enable vsync at all (just a note)

console devs however just make the screen run at 60 hz and use the age old Vsync to do the job, despite running on a capable VRR screen. for the VRR to work the way I depicted, the screen would need to be on 120 hz output mode, and must be free to run between 57-63 hz (so that VRR can sync all fluctations without Vsync engaging)

this is just a out of topic rant about consoles and VRR. they simply don't do VRR justice and it may stop me from getting an actual console. why force a 144 hz screen to run 60 fps/60 hz with vsync, i will never understand. just cap to 60, let vrr handle it everything for high refresh rate vrr user

Last edited:
Top Bottom