• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGtech: Skyrim Special Edition PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

FrankWza

Gladiator Defense GIF by PuyduFou
Denver Broncos Football GIF by Broncos

Tazzu

This went from looking like an upgraded 360/PS3 game to a current-gen release. The increased resolution and framerate really go a long way.

Darsxx82

It is now running native in both.

Now what it was upgraded or not is another question… at least the framerate is way better compared with the game running though BC before… basically it now a 60fps game.
In XSX the game is still "Durango" and can be played from HDD.

It has all the earmarks that it is a transfer of the XBO X and PS4Pro versions where the circumstance already occurred in which the latter worked at native 4K while XBO X used DRS, which was shocking knowing the enormous difference in power between them. In fact they are performing exactly the same as what was seen in Boost / BC mode only now in XSX if it supports DRS and that alleviates the framerate.

That is, there is much to doubt that Bethasda has worked a real native version.

P.S. Knowing what the game is, I would have liked to see more advanced moments and not just the beginning. It is later in the game where the framerate suffered ...

Pallas

PS5 version has mod support

PS5 version does support mods.
That how you know a made up excuse is created.
Yes but aren’t those mods are stuck with using in game resources and are more limited than mods on the Xbox? I remember it being a huge deal for Sony to even allow mods back when Bethesda announced it, they had their reasons of course.

That difference might be why they implemented dynamic resolution, just a thought that some other posters had said as well.

but really it looks good on both consoles and I haven’t played Skyrim since the 360/PS3 days… I’m wondering if I should jump back in.

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure what you mean, the performance patch came with any version, but I own the game anyway.

I was confused about what version received the upgrade. So looking at the game details on the store, both Special Edition and Anniversary Edition are now "optimized for xbox series X|S".

ethomaz

Banned
Yes but aren’t those mods are stuck with using in game resources and are more limited than mods on the Xbox? I remember it being a huge deal for Sony to even allow mods back when Bethesda announced it, they had their reasons of course.

That difference might be why they implemented dynamic resolution, just a thought that some other posters had said as well.

but really it looks good on both consoles and I haven’t played Skyrim since the 360/PS3 days… I’m wondering if I should jump back in.
They did not implemented DRS in one or another… it was already there before patch… the original XB1X has DRS… the original Pro doesn’t have.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You know if the results were the other way round, the usual people would be saying "performance is king" and they'd celebrate the 0.2% higher average frame rate as a huge win. We know this because it has happened many times before :messenger_smirking:

You know if the results were the other way round, the usual people would be saying "resolution is king" and they'd celebrate the difference in resolution as a huge win. We know this because it has happened many times before

That works both ways.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What future Bethesda games do you think will come to the ps5.... Starfield?

Anyway, a 1st party studio putting out an update that runs better on th PS5..lol
michael jordan laughing GIF

Ok so using your logic, you think metro exodus runs even better then this on XSX 😂

JoeBudden

When is VRR supposed to come to PS5? Sony is really lagging. They can't even get it in their tvs

out of all the criticism and bad press Sony catches these days, its really surprising that no one is making a bigger deal out of this.

this is a feature that was used to advertise the PS5, and we still have no indication when we'll receive it, a year later.

but people are more concerned with Jim Ryan stumbling over his words.

FrankWza

What future Bethesda games do you think will come to the ps5.... Starfield?

Anyway, a 1st party studio putting out an update that runs better on th PS5..lol
Ghostwire is. And Deathloop needs to be released for series and then same for gw.
Edit: and we weren’t talking about updates. Just releases

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

It was created for 360/PS3 in fact. Ran better on 360
Yes, but not simply ported over from proprietary hardware 360/ps3, but a new release for AMD Soc’s in BOTH XB1/PS4, in which case the base ps4 version had the edge because of the edge in power.

Had this game been an official REMAKE for the current consoles, the ability to critique and gauge anything would have been the better route. This is silly, at best.

Lognor

Banned
out of all the criticism and bad press Sony catches these days, its really surprising that no one is making a bigger deal out of this.

this is a feature that was used to advertise the PS5, and we still have no indication when we'll receive it, a year later.

but people are more concerned with Jim Ryan stumbling over his words.
It really sounds like Sony is struggling with the implementation. We've seen it rolled out in one line of their tvs and I read the implementation was horrible (vrr disabled local dimming). And on most of their sets they've promised it to be implemented by the end of the year and we're 1.5 months out and nothing. Their most recent marketing blitz around "perfect for PS5" tvs does not even mention vrr, which makes me think we're not getting vrr in the console or Sony's tvs any time soon. It's a complete mess.

All these PS5 games we're seeing frame drops in could really be cleaned up with vrr. It's really helped on those XSX games with drops.

Leyasu

Banned
so the stupid people are already in this thread I see.

how is worse framerate = runs better in your twisted world?

You said Skyrim runs better on ps5, even though xsx has the better framerate.

Well your entiled to your opinion, but it seems to be the opposite case with metro exodus , so if your opinion is consistent you would think metro exodus runs better on the xsx.
You two having a fucking laugh? A couple of frames here and there. It is nothing. Yet the resolution is consistantly higher. I only have an XsX by the way.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You two having a fucking laugh? A couple of frames here and there. It is nothing. Yet the resolution is consistantly higher. I only have an XsX by the way.
At least the resolution discrepancy aint as drastic as other games.
But if it bothers u a lot get a ps5 or pc.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
How can it be consistently higher on PS5 as it does hit 4k on X and only dips rarely in this video.
Plus this game gets more taxing later on which the resolution should drop but the FPS should be more on X.

Rivet

I didn’t expect such a small difference in framerate considering one is running at a higher resolution

nD4APny.jpg

Yes, framerate is basically identical and nearly locked 60 on both, 59.87 vs 59.93. PS5 is locked 60 fps 99.79 % of the time vs 99.89 % on Series X...

Talk about grasping at straws... Some fans are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a positive for Series X here.

At this point, they should just accept it's a bit inferior on this game due to PS5 native resolution advantage and move on.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
At least the resolution discrepancy aint as drastic as other games.
But if it bothers u a lot get a ps5 or pc.

Bothered? i payed this game 10yrs ago.

How can it be consistently higher on PS5 as it does hit 4k on X and only dips rarely in this video.
Plus this game gets more taxing later on which the resolution should drop but the FPS should be more on X.
It doesn't drop, thus is consistant.

Leyasu

Banned
Yes but you said it was consistently higher but sometimes it's equal resolution.
? Ofcourse it is, it doesn't drop. So it is consistant. Unless my understanding of the word consistant is different than yours?

Anyway, whatever. I am not even going to play this again with gamepass.

Top Bottom