• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Metro Exodus PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S

Three

Check out Doom Eternal videos.

It has sprinkling of ray tracing.

Metro has full buffet.
Metro has RT GI but screen space reflections. Doom has RT reflections but not RT GI I don't think. I haven't seen the console version of Doom Eternal in a vid only PC RTX.

I don't think metro would run at a higher res on XSS even with raytracing off because PS5 is hitting 2560x1440 average with higher settings and raytracing enabled. A lot of XSS games aren't hitting that even with no raytracing.

assurdum

Banned
Then remove the ray tracing from it.

It will easily outclass ps5 for raw resolution. Look at One x. It's sharper than all next gen systems without ray tracing.
and what yes GIF

John Cena Omg GIF

Last edited:

Three

Why don't you check all comparison videos comparing xbox one x version with next gen RTGI console versions and see which one is sharpest??

If you remove ray tracing from series s version it will land nearby one x version. Which is way sharper.
Can you post some examples or numbers of this? Isn't the one x version 30fps anyway vs 60fps on the new consoles?

assurdum

Banned
Again, check out enanaldistebits (I hope I spelled that correctly) videos for any newer titles.

As generation is progressing, both versions are neck and neck.
This channel is considered unreliable even from the mod staff. Their FPS analysis are repeatedly incorrect. Personally I suspect they even put on the screen a faked graphic overlay and it's not a true FPS tools interface. Smell a lot of it to me.

Last edited:
You mean the XSX and the PS5. The XSS is quite a bit behind the other two.

This channel is considered unreliable even from the mod staff. The FPS analysis is repeatedly incorrect. I suspect they even tricked the results and not a proper FPS measurement. Smell a lot of it.

One x vs series s.

It's only channel I know of that zooms in and show resolution properly. Choose any other channel you want.

One x version of metro is sharper than either next gen version. DF said so in video.

assurdum

Banned
One x vs series s.

It's only channel I know of that zooms in and show resolution properly. Choose any other channel you want.

One x version of metro is sharper than either next gen version. DF said so in video.
That explains why you sustain such absurdity. They are totally incompetent and wrong many times even in the resolution counts. They are not a reliable source.

Last edited:
"Dev choice". Yeah and I run low settings on my potato laptop because of "gamer choice". What's difficult about saying it does not have the grunt? Say it with me, XSS does not have the GPU power. How on gods green earth can you say

"same raytracing capabilities [as the more expensive consoles] "

It simply doesn't have that and you are fooling yourself if you think it does. Games have shipped with raytracing disabled on the XSS but enabled on PS5/XSX.
But it does have the grunt, it runs RTGI at 60 fps. It can run RT in every game the big boys can, some devs just choose not to because of other preferences. That's what capable means.

MonarchJT

Banned
so not even full hd in PS5 in the lowest res...wow. for a 4k console in 2021 is already unacceptable..probably they should give up on 60fps. Or fuckin hurry up to implement vrr

Last edited:

Three

But it does have the grunt, it runs RTGI at 60 fps. It can run RT in every game the big boys can, some devs just choose not to because of other preferences. That's what capable means.
Clearly it can't as is evident in Doom Eternal. I don't know why you are still adamant it can. I don't know how you can with a straight face say:

"same raytracing capabilities. The fact that it has less teraflops is meaningless especially when someone it trying to save some money."

All you are doing is misleading everyone when several games are actually missing RT on the system now.

It's like saying the launch base PS4 has the same 4k capabilities as the Xbox One X but developers 'choose' not to do 4k. You really are doing some mental gymnastics for the Xbox Series S.

Clearly it can't as is evident in Doom Eternal. I don't know why you are still adamant it can. I don't know how you can with a straight face say:

"same raytracing capabilities. The fact that it has less teraflops is meaningless especially when someone it trying to save some money."

All you are doing is misleading everyone when several games are actually missing RT on the system now.

It's like saying the launch base PS4 has the same 4k capabilities as the Xbox One X but developers 'choose' not to do 4k. You really are doing some mental gymnastics for the Xbox Series S.
You're quoting someone else btw. Anyway, we're running in circles here. For the PS4 to be 4K capable, it would have to run 4K with at least 30 fps. It can't, so it's not capable. XSS on the other hand is ray tracing capable. We've seen it in several games now, even running RTGI at 60 fps. There's no reason to believe that it can't do RT.

Three

Pure BS.

ID always had a preference for performance when it comes to Doom.

As evidenced by 120fps mode.

Ray tracing is not as much a priority for them.
Yet they have a raytracing mode on other consoles but couldn't on a XSS because the GPU and VRAM is weak. No shit my example was bullshit that's the bloody point of the mental gymnastics some are pulling for the XSS.

You're quoting someone else btw. Anyway, we're running in circles here. For the PS4 to be 4K capable, it would have to run 4K with at least 30 fps. It can't, so it's not capable. XSS on the other hand is ray tracing capable. We've seen it in several games now, even running RTGI at 60 fps. There's no reason to believe that it can't do RT.
I know I am. You jumped in when I said that guy is misleading people with the "dev choice" detour. Also the base PS4 can run a game at 4k but it would be graphically minimal the base xbox one does even. Would you be happy if I said the base launch xbox one has the same 4k capabilities as the xbox one x? What is stopping it though is "dev choice".

Not the point.

See where discussion started from.

I was making a reference to this.

Then remove the ray tracing from it.

It will easily outclass ps5 for raw resolution. Look at One x. It's sharper than all next gen systems without ray tracing.

Just saying if you removed RT from the PS5 and XSX you will hit a much higher resolution than the XSS without RT.

Dev choice of different priorities. Doesn't mean it's not capable of RT.
This is 100% true. Not having raytracing in every game on the XSS clearly does not mean it is not capable of having raytracing. MS NEVER said all XSS games would have raytracing. Another invented standard. Good to see the least expensive platform is getting the most critical commentary. Systems that cost more and offer less get a pass. It's amazing.

It is a joke to bring up ID software as a 1st part MS dev when Doom Eternal was NOT developed when they were under MS. That is like questioning Insomniac for making Sunset Overdrive exclusive on Xbox when they are a Sony 1st party. Disingenuous crap like that is why no one should believe people crapping on XSS. They aren't capable of make a sincere argument.

Can anyone build a PC beating XSS specs for $300? Can anyone name any specific features minus the blu-ray drive the XSS lacks? Just accept XSS is offering the same current gen features for the lowest price of entry and you'll be better off. It's the best bang for your buck. No need to invent nonsense.

dcmk7

Banned
It is a joke to bring up ID software as a 1st part MS dev when Doom Eternal was NOT developed when they were under MS. That is like questioning Insomniac for making Sunset Overdrive exclusive on Xbox when they are a Sony 1st party. Disingenuous crap like that is why no one should believe people crapping on XSS. They aren't capable of make a sincere argument.

They have had ages to do a next gen patch.

And they have managed to get raytracing in the PS5 and XSX versions.

You would expect a first party studio to optimise the hell out of their versions for their platform. Guess couldn't get around the technical limitations. It's the only logical explanation.

At least they managed to include it on the other next gen consoles. It's a shame for XSS owners regardless.

It's the best bang for your buck.
Not really since MS first party can't even get next gen features working on old titles.

Also with a choice of a 4TF console or a 10TF console for $70 more, a much bigger hard drive, 4k support as well as getting much better version of games. Suggests you are talking nonsense about bang for buck.

Last edited:

skit_data

This is 100% true. Not having raytracing in every game on the XSS clearly does not mean it is not capable of having raytracing. MS NEVER said all XSS games would have raytracing. Another invented standard. Good to see the least expensive platform is getting the most critical commentary. Systems that cost more and offer less get a pass. It's amazing.

Can anyone build a PC beating XSS specs for $300? Can anyone name any specific features minus the blu-ray drive the XSS lacks? Just accept XSS is offering the same current gen features for the lowest price of entry and you'll be better off. It's the best bang for your buck. No need to invent nonsense.
1pDvDc9.jpg

ZQ5TT0t.jpg

Am I just misinterpreting the meaning of the word ”same”?

kGPZLJc.jpg

Three

They aren't capable of make a sincere argument.
MS NEVER said all XSS games would have raytracing. Another invented standard.

Sincere argument is what you're incapable of. Nobody said they can build a cheaper PC and nobody said that MS said all games would have raytracing. Bunch of their fans did however say "XSX games, same settings at a lower res" tough.

The issue is that you ping pong everywhere when the argument falls apart instead of just saying the other consoles offer more.

The system has the same technology as the more expensive consoles. Maybe all this time you didn't realize that...same raytracing capabilities. The fact that it has less teraflops is meaningless... A person buying an XSS won't care about bushes dude they care they are getting the same experience as someone who is paying more.

When I reply with a simple statement of fact:
Same raytracing abilities is not correct. It doesn't. Games have released on XSS with raytracing removed.
We get all this insincere arguments about "dev choice", "can you build a PC for less", and "did MS say all games will have raytracing"?

All I'm saying is same raytracing capabilities isn't correct when talking about getting "the same experience as someone who is paying more". Tell me what good is raytracing capabilities when raytracing is disabled on their specific console only?

I'm not confused at all. I told you how you can clear it up, but you are unwilling to do that. I think that speaks for itself.

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Ok. One more try.

"One x version is sharper than next gen version."

Check out DF for that. Next gen version are all ray traced. If they had made series s version as non ray traced while others with ray tracing, it could have been sharpest of the bunch.

Don't quote me unless you have something specific.

Ok. One more try.

Check out DF for that. Next gen version are all ray traced. If they had made series s version as non ray traced while others with ray tracing, it could have been sharpest of the bunch.

Not if they have a non ray traced option with the other two.

But truth is nobody has access to that on next gen systems. So the results are what you're seeing.

Topher

Gold Member
Don't understand the infatuation with being intentionally dumb.

Anyways you do you.

Quality and FPS mode (RT disabled) in Watch Dogs Legion from the channel you referred me to:

Tell us all what resolutions are reported in that video for non-RT FPS mode.

How about this one from DF:

RT Disabled. PS5 and XSX are 2160p while XSS is 1440p with "softer" image quality.

But I'm being "intentionally dumb"?
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
so not even full hd in PS5 in the lowest res...wow. for a 4k console in 2021 is already unacceptable..probably they should give up on 60fps. Or fuckin hurry up to implement vrr
Good Lord what desperate troll you are. Riky would be proud of you. Are you trying to say now there aren't sub 1080p DRS games on series X? You really want to play this card? Are you sure?

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Quality and FPS mode (RT disabled) in Watch Dogs Legion from the channel you referred me to:

RT Disabled. PS5 and XSX are 2160p while XSS is 1440p with "softer" image quality.

There has been some rather strange arguments in this thread.

assurdum

Banned
It's not the first game either, Ratchet in RT 60fps mode goes down to 1008p according to VG Tech, like people have said above that's a first party game as well.
And? Medium it's 900p on series X so? What exactly are you trying to argue you and the other genius? Expect more sub1080p DRS games on series X too if raytracing and 60 FPS will be more common in the future. Raytracing costs.
In before the laugh gif of Riky.
And here we go. What a buffoon. Hope MS at least pay you well. I can't believe you are intentionally so idiotic.
Nice emoticon editing. At least you tried.
Third editing in the emoticon. Well at least the emoticon have deeper argumentations than your posts, that's for sure.
Forth emoticon editing.
Fifth emoticon editing.
Sixth.
I missed the counts now. Too many.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

And? Medium it's 900p on series X so?
@ 30fps.
Does The Medium use RT? :pie_thinking:
Edit: It does, but not much and not on Series S.
In terms of the ray tracing support, The Medium features RT reflections - but only in certain locations and only on Xbox Series X and PC - with Series S dropping back to more conventional screen-space reflections.

Last edited:

SubZer0

Banned
Why don't you check all comparison videos comparing xbox one x version with next gen RTGI console versions and see which one is sharpest??

If you remove ray tracing from series s version it will land nearby one x version. Which is way sharper.
Nope series s is unable to handle one x version of games, it will Run Standard xbox one version

And without the next gen Patch the ps5 will be even sharper

assurdum

Banned
@ 30fps.
In terms of the ray tracing support, The Medium features RT reflections - but only in certain locations and only on Xbox Series X and PC - with Series S dropping back to more conventional screen-space reflections.
Said that 1008p it's practically around 5-8% less pixels of 1080p. What a brutal downgrade from 1080p :messenger_tears_of_joy: Riky and Monarch would have sold their soul for such resolution on Xbox one.

Last edited:

skit_data

@ 30fps.
One could argue it’s not an actual 1st party title but I have a feeling we will see sub 1080p drops on first party Xbox titles on Series X as well since everything points to the consoles being pretty much on par with each other

assurdum

Banned
One could argue it’s not an actual 1st party title but I have a feeling we will see sub 1080p drops on first party Xbox titles on Series X as well since everything points to the consoles being pretty much on par with each other
If MS first parties will targeting 60 FPS and raytracing "sub1080p" DRS will be very common (as it is with 120fps). The point is it seems MS first parties don't like at all to use raytracing. Coincidence?

Last edited:

What's interesting about the RT mode on RE Village is that the XSS is the only platform to have serious performance issues. Developers really need lock it at 30FPs since it can't handle the 60FPs RT mode well.

off screen p5 16:9(32" 4k sammy) got when 4k first came and hdr at very good price, super wide in hdr to follow in few days as comparison, black crush my arse.
GcXiAa8.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Ok. One more try.

The one x version is 30fps. Yes if they disabled raytracing and halved the framerate on the Series S as well as keeping the lower settings they might have been able to get higher resolution than the Series X and PS5 at 60fps with raytracing and higher settings. The mode doesn't exist though so what's the point of this hypothetical?

Bramble

Meaningless if we look at how it performs 99.9% of the time. A “who gives a fuck” stat. There’s nothing to learn from it, and anybody who chooses one version over the other on account of that is a certified idiot.

True. But if I have to choose: smoother framerate and DualSense baby.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lots of disingenuous arguments in this thread. Like Kratos said, we must be better than this.

I think it's fair to say that XSX and PS5 are simply not capable of hitting a locked 1080p 60 fps in a fully ray traced game. And tbh, that's ok. That means we are looking at the same pixel budget as 4kcb 30 fps which is roughly around last year's UE5 demo which was 1440p 30 fps.

This is a last gen game through and through with little to not destruction, no physics, nothing particle heavy and its still dropping resolution all the way from 1700p to 1080p just to maintain 60 fps in action which is fairly limited especially compared to something like ratchet and returnal that have thousands of particles on screen at once.

I think wasting so much of the GPU on RT accelerated lighting is a big mistake when you can use it elsewhere. Better visuals, more destruction, more particles, more physics. Even on PC, you need DLSS 2.0 and dedicated RT cores in Nvidia cards to really push RT performance, and AMD's solution is pretty half baked as it is. Maybe with RDNA 3.0 they can add RT cores and tensor cores and we can get them in mid gen consoles. I really dont want game interactivity limited because devs feel compelled to waste precious gpu resources on shit that ultimately is a visual only benefit.

Lastly, 1080p with frame drops or sub 1080p with no frame drops is nothing to be proud of. SOME standards have to be maintained and if your LAST gen game cant run at 1080p 60 fps at 10+ tflops then perhaps you shouldnt be making RT only games. Just the fact that the PS5 version is allowed to drop below 1080p should be troubling to everyone. That should be the absolute minimum resolution. anything below should never pass Sony's certification because at that point it just becomes a slippery slope where you end up getting 512p resolutions and stuff like cyberpunk. Both console manufacturers have to be the ones to enforce these standards or we are looking at 720p or sub 720p 60 fps ports when devs start to implement next gen features like destruction, physics, high NPC counts and of course fancier visuals like the ones we saw in avatar.

1pDvDc9.jpg

ZQ5TT0t.jpg

Am I just misinterpreting the meaning of the word ”same”?

kGPZLJc.jpg

Does quick resume not work on the XSS? Does it not have fps boost? Is it missing the SSD or something? RDNA 2 GPU? Zen 2 CPU? Did Jason Ronald say it would have the same resolution as the XSX? You guys are being silly.

Sincere argument is what you're incapable of. Nobody said they can build a cheaper PC and nobody said that MS said all games would have raytracing. Bunch of their fans did however say "XSX games, same settings at a lower res" tough.

The issue is that you ping pong everywhere when the argument falls apart instead of just saying the other consoles offer more.

When I reply with a simple statement of fact:

We get all this insincere arguments about "dev choice", "can you build a PC for less", and "did MS say all games will have raytracing"?

All I'm saying is same raytracing capabilities isn't correct when talking about getting "the same experience as someone who is paying more". Tell me what good is raytracing capabilities when raytracing is disabled on their specific console only?
Uh Sony fans here have over and over again complain that the XSS doesn't have raytracing or that a game isn't at 1440p. It's a mantra now. Dude here is trying to argue ID should had had raytracing on Doom Eternal despite that game coming out BEFORE they were acquired. And you are accusing me of a disingenuous argument? Too funny. It absolutely is dev choice on what features to implement on the XSS just like it is on the PS5 and XSX please tell me you understand this very simple point.

Prove MS said all XSS games would have the same settings as XSX. I have a feeling you can't. Mostly cause it never happened. How would they make that guarantee anyway? The XSS has the same FEATURES as the XSX minus the blu-ray drive. Again Zen 2 CPU, RDNA 2 GPU, SSD, hardware RAYTRACING, VA and SFS support. Show me what of those isn't on the XSS. It's almost like the Sony guys have no idea what the XSS can do. It explains the frequent comparisons to the PS4 and Switch. I bet you guys honestly think those systems are all the same. It makes more sense if that's the case.

The other consoles do offer more. More cost. With that extra cost they might get some better graphical features. Again this is not news. Pay more get more. The issue is when the XSS offers MORE than more expensive consoles. The raytracing on this game is the same across the consoles minus resolution. It is happening on a $300 device that is the fact whether you believe it or not.

It's not the first game either, Ratchet in RT 60fps mode goes down to 1008p according to VG Tech, like people have said above that's a first party game as well.
Where is the outrage Sony's device isn't always running at 4k with full raytracing? XSS, the cheapest box, gets attacked for not doing it at $300 but surely the PS5 costing more and not doing it should cause some concern? Why the double standard? So odd only the XSS is held to the unreasonable standard.

Last edited:
The one x version is 30fps. Yes if they disabled raytracing and halved the framerate on the Series S as well as keeping the lower settings they might have been able to get higher resolution than the Series X and PS5 at 60fps with raytracing and higher settings. The mode doesn't exist though so what's the point of this hypothetical?

One of the posters said Series S had no ray tracing cause it runs at 900p.

So I pointed out how it would perform if it actually had no ray tracing.

I got quoted .... 63 times for that. But I had facts on my side so didn't budge. Trolls eventually ran away.

That's the gist of it.

Top Bottom