• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Metro Exodus PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S

assurdum

Banned
One console more than the other.
Good luck to spot 8% of pixels difference with 1080p. This obsession to remark a math superiority over what is really perceivable it's something else. But it's too much asking for a serious consideration about such things indeed just push the console war debate. Some people would have sold their soul to see 1008p as average resolution on Xbox one indeed of 900p.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
It's almost like the Sony guys have no idea what the XSS can do
People see it in every comparison.
Every release notes.

Some of the comparisons have been truly eye opening. With missing features and effects, bad object pop-in, heavily reduced framerate or very low resolution numbers. It all warrants discussion.

Especially considering there had been concerns about this console, before it released, across the entire industry Even within first party studios, they were predicting it to hold back next gen games. Post launch those comments haven't disappeared either.

It was promised to be the same next gen experience after all, so it's interesting to see what's going on here. I don't understand why you're not holding it a higher standard considering MS marketing/messaging about this box. And if not those, what about performance and missing features?

Even seeing games released with missing features from MS owned studios now.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Does quick resume not work on the XSS? Does it not have fps boost? Is it missing the SSD or something? RDNA 2 GPU? Zen 2 CPU? Did Jason Ronald say it would have the same resolution as the XSX? You guys are being silly.

Uh Sony fans here have over and over again complain that the XSS doesn't have raytracing or that a game isn't at 1440p. It's a mantra now. Dude here is trying to argue ID should had had raytracing on Doom Eternal despite that game coming out BEFORE they were acquired. And you are accusing me of a disingenuous argument? Too funny. It absolutely is dev choice on what features to implement on the XSS just like it is on the PS5 and XSX please tell me you understand this very simple point.

Prove MS said all XSS games would have the same settings as XSX. I have a feeling you can't. Mostly cause it never happened. How would they make that guarantee anyway? The XSS has the same FEATURES as the XSX minus the blu-ray drive. Again Zen 2 CPU, RDNA 2 GPU, SSD, hardware RAYTRACING, VA and SFS support. Show me what of those isn't on the XSS. It's almost like the Sony guys have no idea what the XSS can do. It explains the frequent comparisons to the PS4 and Switch. I bet you guys honestly think those systems are all the same. It makes more sense if that's the case.

The other consoles do offer more. More cost. With that extra cost they might get some better graphical features. Again this is not news. Pay more get more. The issue is when the XSS offers MORE than more expensive consoles. The raytracing on this game is the same across the consoles minus resolution. It is happening on a $300 device that is the fact whether you believe it or not.

Where is the outrage Sony's device isn't always running at 4k with full raytracing? XSS, the cheapest box, gets attacked for not doing it at $300 but surely the PS5 costing more and not doing it should cause some concern? Why the double standard? So odd only the XSS is held to the unreasonable standard.

You know it as well as anybody else, but you’re wasting your time. It’s the same folk trying to get a rise from you all the time, and they only respond with laughter emojis.

Why bother? Let them wallow in their ignorance and stupidity.

dcmk7

Banned
You know it as well as anybody else, but you’re wasting your time. It’s the same folk trying to get a rise from you all the time, and they only respond with laughter emojis.

Why bother? Let them wallow in their ignorance and stupidity.
Actually it's probably the people he's arguing with that should let him wallow in his own ignorance and stupidity.

Seeing how he is unable to back up any of his claims with facts or even respond to any posts which disproves his without moving the goal posts a mile.

His posts in this thread have been bizarre to say the least.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
And? Medium it's 900p on series X so? What exactly are you trying to argue you and the other genius? Expect more sub1080p DRS games on series X too if raytracing and 60 FPS will be more common in the future. Raytracing costs.
In before the laugh gif of Riky.
And here we go. What a buffoon. Hope MS at least pay you well. I can't believe you are intentionally so idiotic.
Nice emoticon editing. At least you tried.
Third editing in the emoticon. Well at least the emoticon have deeper argumentations than your posts, that's for sure.
Forth emoticon editing.
Fifth emoticon editing.
Sixth.
I missed the counts now. Too many.
What is going on here?

People see it in every comparison.
Every release notes.

Some of the comparisons have been truly eye opening. With missing features and effects, bad object pop-in, heavily reduced framerate or very low resolution numbers. It all warrants discussion.

Especially considering there had been concerns about this console, before it released, across the entire industry Even within first party studios, they were predicting it to hold back next gen games. Post launch those comments haven't disappeared either.

It was promised to be the same next gen experience after all, so it's interesting to see what's going on here. I don't understand why you're not holding it a higher standard considering MS marketing/messaging about this box. And if not those, what about performance and missing features?

Even seeing games released with missing features from MS owned studios now.
The 'concerns' are all coming Sony guys making disingenuous comparisons and inventing ridiculous standards. Not one of you guys could show ONE feature the XSS lacks. Couldn't build a PC better specs for the price. Telling an asinine tale about since ID is now a first party they should have designed Doom Eternal for the XSS in the past(that one is my favorite).

What's going on here Metro on the XSS is the cheapest current gen version of this game with raytracing. A feature some here didn't think the XSS was capable of. It is offered for a price hundreds lower than elsewhere. But instead of appreciating 4As hard work people are denigrating it by complaining about things of no real consequence. Some more expensive consoles drop below 1080p running the game so it's pretty demanding and especially impressive it is on a $300 box. I'd be really 'concerned' paying more and still getting sub 1080p performance. Where is my money going?

But as BigLee74 BigLee74 said "Let them wallow in their ignorance and stupidity." How right he is! XSS remains the best bang for you buck and shockingly still offers more features for less money. It's no wonder some here lie about the device. Fear causes strange reactions. 😁

I dunno the Series S that I owned was a fantastic little console. From my history you can tell I lean more towards the PS side but Xbox knocked it out of the park for me on this one.
Build quality, silent operation, quick resume. Fucking quick resume man and that SSD had one of my clan mates on Division 2 comment how I always spawned in an area way before they did if we fast travelled with like "He must be on an Xbox Series console". That had me grinning from ear to ear.
Played Division 2 at rock solid 60fps albeit at lower resolution but with this console its to be expected.

Bang for buck it can't be beat right now coupled with GamePass ultimate.
It simply is the best value next gen console hands down.

dcmk7

Banned
The 'concerns' are all coming Sony guys making disingenuous comparisons and inventing ridiculous standards. Not one of you guys could show ONE feature the XSS lacks. Couldn't build a PC better specs for the price. Telling an asinine tale about since ID is now a first party they should have designed Doom Eternal for the XSS in the past(that one is my favorite).

What's going on here Metro on the XSS is the cheapest current gen version of this game with raytracing. A feature some here didn't think the XSS was capable of. It is offered for a price hundreds lower than elsewhere. But instead of appreciating 4As hard work people are denigrating it by complaining about things of no real consequence. Some more expensive consoles drop below 1080p running the game so it's pretty demanding and especially impressive it is on a $300 box. I'd be really 'concerned' paying more and still getting sub 1080p performance. Where is my money going?

But as BigLee74 BigLee74 said "Let them wallow in their ignorance and stupidity." How right he is! XSS remains the best bang for you buck and shockingly still offers more features for less money. It's no wonder some here lie about the device. Fear causes strange reactions. 😁
4A Games did an amazing job, and even with their expertise could only get XSS version to work by compensating heavily by reducing the resolution down to 512p at times.

This game didn't miss any features of the more technically impressive console versions but it is very blurry and object pop-up is the worst I've seen since Pokémon Sword and Shield on Nintendo Switch.

By the way ID Software has had XSS dev kits for at least a year now. They managed raytracing in XSX and PS5. Just the XSS version which is missing. Because they couldn't make it work due to the hardware limitations. It's obviously the reason why because otherwise it would have it.

Which isn't a surprise since it has less RAM than some of the previous generation of consoles, so it's no wonder it's missing features and getting very poor resolution. Be interesting see if the developers were right to raise their concerns.

The 'concerns' are all coming Sony guys making disingenuous comparisons and inventing ridiculous standards.
Not true at all.

Developers, third party and first party have had their concerns. As well as gaming journalists.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I dunno the Series S that I owned was a fantastic little console. From my history you can tell I lean more towards the PS side but Xbox knocked it out of the park for me on this one.
Build quality, silent operation, quick resume. Fucking quick resume man and that SSD had one of my clan mates on Division 2 comment how I always spawned in an area way before they did if we fast travelled with like "He must be on an Xbox Series console". That had me grinning from ear to ear.
Played Division 2 at rock solid 60fps albeit at lower resolution but with this console its to be expected.

Nothing against weird tastes but hearing someone say repeatedly such console knocked out to the park the playstation with games at half resolution and worse performance/graphic setting, give me a terrible headache. I would have understand if it was incredibly cheap in comparison but not for 100 bucks less. Seems such a waste of money in proportion, for my tastes.

Last edited:

MaDBrute

Banned
Good luck to spot 8% of pixels difference with 1080p. This obsession to remark a math superiority over what is really perceivable it's something else. But it's too much asking for a serious consideration about such things indeed just push the console war debate. Some people would have sold their soul to see 1008p as average resolution on Xbox one indeed of 900p.
Too me 1080p is enought, i would sacrifice 4k for 2oo meters of extra draw distance.

assurdum

Banned
Too me 1080p is enought, i would sacrifice 4k for 2oo meters of extra draw distance.
Well I'm not talking about native 1080p; I just find ridiculous all that warring about something barely perceivable. Until the reconstruction is good, we shouldn't care less about what is it the native resolution behind if not just for tech curiousity

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Seems like a solid option for sub-4K gaming. For those who game on a 1080p TV or monitor, I don't see why it wouldn't be a consideration. I get the argument that PS5 DE is only $100 more, but that is if you can find one at that price. I've been thinking about getting one primarily for the old Xbox 360 games that I can't play on PC and for higher frame rate last gen games. It isn't going to replace my PS5 by any stretch, but higher resolutions isn't the only use case to be considered.

Last edited:

Kangx

Is riky gona bring up Gear of wars 5 with drop down to 1080p and that without ray tracing too. Hahaha, such a troll poster. 🤣

Three

Gold Member
Can you do less marketing please and more critical thinking. Don't tell me about appreciating 4As hard work when you were in the other 4As DF thread complaining that they didn't use mesh shaders or SFS. Blaming them for the 512p it hit on XSS when I was telling you to appreciate their work.
Nobody said that the console is missing some SoC feature for raytracing. It doesn't have the power to offer it in all games though so saying it's just as capable is bull. The only people pushing bullshit about the XSS are those who are so defensive of it and probably own one or defend anything MS in anything like yourself. I actually remember many people saying that the XSS (lockhart) was actually MORE capable at 1080p than the XSX (Scarlet) at higher res. Those people were the ignorant fools that have never touched a line of code pretending to know what it's capable of and thinking that everything just scales linearly with resolution. Now they are silent about their past posts.

Last edited:
Nothing against weird tastes but hearing someone say repeatedly such console knocked out to the park the playstation with games at half resolution and worse performance/graphic setting, give me a terrible headache. I would have understand if it was incredibly cheap in comparison but not for 100 bucks less. Seems such a waste of money in proportion, for my tastes.

So he is not supposed to like it ?

What a weird post.

A major purpose of variable refresh rates is the elimination of stutters and tearing by keeping refresh rates in sync with a varying frame rate from a video game. This makes display motion more smooth despite a varying frame rate.- Literally every informed person on VRR.

Most games can, will and do dip way below 60fps, however, with VRR your display will adjust it's refresh rate to match the current output of your device so that you don't see tearing, etc.

Please don’t drive by post without providing some evidence or real discussion.
Thanks for posting the info that wasn’t in the first post. But basically, XSX offers higher resolution and a “smoother” frame rate even when it dips. My general point still stands. It sounds like the better place to play the game. I usually play Metro games on pc but might fire up the XSX for this one.

assurdum

Banned
So he is not supposed to like it ?

What a weird post.
Wut. The hell you are talking about 😂 I specifically said to find ridiculous hear him say repeatedly such hardware with a disproportionate downgrade in performance, has knocked out to the park the playstation. Never said he shouldn't like series S. If it's more weird my personal take, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
Wut. The hell you are talking about 😂 I specifically said to find ridiculous hear him say many times an hardware with a disproportionate downgrade in performance, has knocked out to the park the ps5. Surely it's not me who make weird post. Never said he shouldn't like series S.

Never saw anyone hating on base PS4 once PS4 PRO was released.

Series S has got people behaving in weird ways.

assurdum

Banned
Never saw anyone hating on base PS4 once PS4 PRO was released.

Series S has got people behaving in weird ways.
Maybe because ps4 was released early? Just say eh. Though I don't understand how you find remotely comparable the two things. But I want to follow your logic.You ever heard anyone say he fallen in love for the Xbox one base bought later, meanwhile already owned a PS4 pro?

Last edited:
Maybe because ps4 was released early? Just say eh. Though I don't understand how you find remotely comparable the two things. But I want to follow your logic.You ever heard anyone say he was in love on Xbox one base after bought later, meanwhile owned a PS4 pro for awhile?

The thing is, when you enjoy a game, you enjoy it regardless of the system you play on.

Thanks for posting the info that wasn’t in the first post. But basically, XSX offers higher resolution and a “smoother” frame rate even when it dips. My general point still stands. It sounds like the better place to play the game. I usually play Metro games on pc but might fire up the XSX for this one.

No problem! For some people it will indeed be the better place to play, those that have VRR sets that is, I know 6 people personally that have XSX/PS5, and 1 of them have a VRR set, including me. So, for the majority of people, the PS5 is going to offer the "Smoothest" gameplay. (5 PS5, 1 XSX amongst the people I know) If Sony ever get's around to implementing VRR, then it will be down to just "Who has the highest native resolution before it's being reconstructed to 4K".

dEvAnGeL

Is funny, all the Rift between fanboys about this game res difference and what not, Apart from a few things here and there they are basically the same and yet nothing comes close to another game that was released recently.....

assurdum

Banned
It doesn't offer exactly higher resolution. It's dynamically higher via DRS in different spots, but still it's not clear at all how many times is measurable. Would seem the resolution stay relatively higher on series X but we are not talking of something easily noticeable without a careful comparison and it's a DRS setup reconstructed, we are talking of a minimal boost in clarity. The better place to play Metro it's still pc, not something which requires a tech dissection to be appreciated; come on now, it's not that tough to be a bit more realistic for such difference.

Last edited:
Seems like a solid option for sub-4K gaming. For those who game on a 1080p TV or monitor, I don't see why it wouldn't be a consideration. I get the argument that PS5 DE is only $100 more, but that is if you can find one at that price. I've been thinking about getting one primarily for the old Xbox 360 games that I can't play on PC and for higher frame rate last gen games. It isn't going to replace my PS5 by any stretch, but higher resolutions isn't the only use case to be considered.
It's a solid option if you don't care for 4K gaming. I have a 1080p monitor I use for work and it's excellent on there.
What makes Series S so a viable option for many is the stock shortages on Series X and PS5.
For BC this machine should do just fine. Saw a ton of 360 games on GamePass when I had it but honestly you're just spoilt for choice on this service.

Top Bottom