• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Metro Exodus PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HDR is a scam. lol. You arent missing anything.

Excuse Me What GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

HDR is a massive addition to games that do it right, its gorgeous.

What resolution monitors do you recommend for all 3 consoles for sharpest image?
From my experience a 27inch 4K monitor does a great job with my consoles. And I'm talking about last gen systems like the Pro and the One X. With these next gen systems the experience should be even better. The only thing I'm really missing is HDR but I don't know how big of a deal it is since I've never seen it.

Edit: I did watch some native capture of Demon Souls on it and it looks great. No issue with a blurry image or anything even with the 60FPs mode. Also Miles Morales looks really great on it as well plus Ratchet looks excellent. All native captures BTW.

100% agree the LG 27GP950 with HDMI 2.1 works and looks amazing with these new consoles.

Granted this is only HDR 600 but that can still get quite bright for sitting on your desk 3 feet from your face.

If you want real HDR at a somewhat decent price you have to move to TVs

Getting more for your money? You scoped your argument to JUST the tech.

6 more TF
Better and bigger hard drive.
4k gaming.

For $70 more.

But because another console is cheaper.. and can afford a game with it (how is that JUST tech btw) the cheaper console is the better value for money?

I think most people would agree, that to get 150% more terraflops for $70 dollars more is better bang for buck. But most people aren't deluded like you.

And that's before we even delve into actually gameplay performance. Where XSS has stuff deliberately cut out of the native game in order to spare it's blushes.

Weird sentence, since you're the one trying and failing to prove that it's the best bang for buck on a technical level. Terraflops are part of the technical specs, unless you don't know what that means either.

Value is such a subjective thing.

You get better value hardware with PS5 DE? Maybe.

It goes whack once you purchase any next gen game.

Wouldn't even play Halo Infinite, let alone download it from game pass.

Imagine that?

dcmk7

Banned
The system has the same technology as the more expensive consoles. Maybe all this time you didn't realize that. Same SSD tech, same Zen 2 CPU, same raytracing capabilities. The fact that it has less teraflops is meaningless especially when someone it trying to save some money. A person buying an XSS won't care about bushes dude they care they are getting the same experience as someone who is paying more. You wouldn't even know unless you are playing both side by side. Hence the XSS provides the best bang for your buck. No other console offers more for less or even the same. It is a fact. You arguing against that shows how silly you are. Perhaps you could offer to pay the difference since you are pushing the more expensive device that has fewer features. 😉
Wow,

You said it's the best bang for buck on a technical scale and now you're saying terraflops don't count.

This argument isn't going well for you. I barely have to do anything except point out your contradictions and hypocrisy. Easy.

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
So again, XsX pushes slightly more pixels and PS5 pushes slightly more frames. This gen will be boring for console warriors.
The only real question that matters is that if the PS5 was pushing the same amount of pixels as the XSX, would the PS5 still be pushing more frames?......

Wow,

You said it's the best bang for buck on a technical scale and now you're saying terraflops don't count.

This argument isn't going well for you. I barely have to do anything except point out your contradictions and hypocrisy. Easy.
Dude Sony guys started the 'teraflops don't matter narrative'. You have no argument at all. You are simply hating on a system that you know nothing about. You just keep on digging. You even tried calling out Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation thinking he'd join you on the XSS crap session. You were wrong AGAIN. Boy you are wrong so often. I'd trust what he would say about the XSS over a dude on a forum with a weird agenda to prove his lack of knowledge. The hypocrisy is holding the XSS to a standard more expensive consoles don't meet. Just give it up man you are clearly clueless.

dcmk7

Banned
Dude Sony guys started the 'teraflops don't matter narrative'. You have no argument at all. You are simply hating on a system that you know nothing about. You just keep on digging. You even tried calling out Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation thinking he'd join you on the XSS crap session. You were wrong AGAIN. Boy you are wrong so often. I'd trust what he would say about the XSS over a dude on a forum with a weird agenda to prove his lack of knowledge. The hypocrisy is holding the XSS to a standard more expensive consoles don't meet. Just give it up man you are clearly clueless.
Your argument has shifted massively away from the 'best bang for buck on a technical scale' hasn't it? A lot of attempted goalpost moving in your post.

You make these outrageous claims and then fail to back up anything. What kind of argument on a technical scale excludes terraflops? Do you not realise how silly that sounds.

Seriously saying I can't use terraflops to disprove your BS theory because a Sony fan once said TF don't count? :messenger_tears_of_joy: that's what you have had to resort to. So desperate. It's actually hilarious.

At least try and present a good argument. Instead of embarrassing yourself again.

This one was too easy.

Last edited:
Excuse Me What GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

HDR is a massive addition to games that do it right, its gorgeous.

100% agree the LG 27GP950 with HDMI 2.1 works and looks amazing with these new consoles.

Granted this is only HDR 600 but that can still get quite bright for sitting on your desk 3 feet from your face.

If you want real HDR at a somewhat decent price you have to move to TVs

Definitely thinking about buying a second monitor for a dual setup. Unfortunately really good HDR monitors are quite expensive at the moment. Besides lacking HDR my monitor is excellent everywhere else. LG does a really good job with calibration and the one I have doesn't any annoying bleeding issues or ghosting.

assurdum

Banned

I did the tflops per dollar count back when the xss came out.

XSX - $500/12 tflops = $41 per tflop
PS5 - $500/10 tflops = $50 per tflop
PS5 DE - $400/10 tflops = $40 per tflop
XSS - $300/4 tflops = $75 per tflop

When it comes to value, XSX has the best value if you look at both tflops and harddrive space. PS5 DE has the best value if you look at just tflops. XSS is many things and it might just be a good first console for your kids..... My son said Zelda BoTW looked better than Horizon Forbidden West. (Dont worry i have since disowned him) But getting more for your money? eh. MS killed it with the XSX and they shouldve just had an 8 tflops DE console for $399 instead. $50 per tflops just like the PS5 physical edition with bigger storage space.
Oh God. Not the value for TF now. Come on. It's incredibly stupid.

Ulysses 31

Bro, what are you smoking?

Take a look at Laurence of Arabia and Murder on the Orient Express 4K HDR blu-rays as examples of what HDR can add.

Of course there are also bad HDR implementations but I don't think those can be called the norm of HDR.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bro, what are you smoking?

Take a look at Laurence of Arabia and Murder on the Orient Express 4K HDR blu-rays as examples of what HDR can add.

Of course there are also bad HDR implementations but I don't think those can be called the norm of HDR.
I am sure there are movies and games that look amazing in HDR, but it's not a transformative experience like everyone makes it out to be. Most movies have dark and grey lighting where you dont even get to see the high brightness or wide color gamut of HDR unless something explodes on screen.

I have turned HDR on and off many times during games and movies, and it's just not that big of a difference. Nowadays pretty much all tvs have good HDR and I rarely do any HDR tests, but back in the day when KS8000 was all the rage, I wouldnt have recommended getting an expensive HDR tv over a bigger screen which is a far more impactful upgrade than HDR.

HDR on monitors is also very limited. My monitor can also do 400 nits in HDR. The person I was replying to was talking about a 27 inch 4k screen. I would recommend they go for a bigger screen and gsync than a HDR capable monitor.

For TVs, HDR is pretty standard nowadays. It's all about OLEDs and LEDs now, but even here I would recommend a 75 inch LED over a 55 inch OLED. HDR is brighter in LEDs and the bigger screen size is just mesmerizing.

sendit

I did the tflops per dollar count back when the xss came out.

XSX - $500/12 tflops = $41 per tflop
PS5 - $500/10 tflops = $50 per tflop
PS5 DE - $400/10 tflops = $40 per tflop
XSS - $300/4 tflops = $75 per tflop

When it comes to value, XSX has the best value if you look at both tflops and harddrive space. PS5 DE has the best value if you look at just tflops. XSS is many things and it might just be a good first console for your kids..... My son said Zelda BoTW looked better than Horizon Forbidden West. (Dont worry i have since disowned him) But getting more for your money? eh. MS killed it with the XSX and they shouldve just had an 8 tflops DE console for $399 instead. $50 per tflops just like the PS5 physical edition with bigger storage space.
:messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

Stop

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am sure there are movies and games that look amazing in HDR, but it's not a transformative experience like everyone makes it out to be. Most movies have dark and grey lighting where you dont even get to see the high brightness or wide color gamut of HDR unless something explodes on screen.

I have turned HDR on and off many times during games and movies, and it's just not that big of a difference. Nowadays pretty much all tvs have good HDR and I rarely do any HDR tests, but back in the day when KS8000 was all the rage, I wouldnt have recommended getting an expensive HDR tv over a bigger screen which is a far more impactful upgrade than HDR.

HDR on monitors is also very limited. My monitor can also do 400 nits in HDR. The person I was replying to was talking about a 27 inch 4k screen. I would recommend they go for a bigger screen and gsync than a HDR capable monitor.

For TVs, HDR is pretty standard nowadays. It's all about OLEDs and LEDs now, but even here I would recommend a 75 inch LED over a 55 inch OLED. HDR is brighter in LEDs and the bigger screen size is just mesmerizing.

This is 100% dependent on the Tv to me.

There is no way I am picking a 75" cheapo LED with fake HDR over a 55" OLED for unless my room was just massive.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is 100% dependent on the Tv to me.

There is no way I am picking a 75" cheapo LED with fake HDR over a 55" OLED for unless my room was just massive.
Not a cheap 75 inch, but I recently bought an 75 inch x900H for $1,500 and a 65 inch LC CX for $1,900, and I think the x900H is a better buy.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not a cheap 75 inch, but I recently bought an x900H for $1,500 and a 65 inch LC CX for $1,900, and I think the x900H is a better buy.
Yeah I own the 65" X900H and a 77" C9 and honestly for gaming I will pick the 900H every time because it does have a very nice picture and I can leave static images up as long as I want.

When it comes to a movie I really REALLY want to see its on the OLED

sendit

Link? The very purpose of VRR is to keep the screen showing a steady smooth 60fps despite the input not being a stable 60. That’s the primary purpose of VRR.

Please don’t drive by post without providing some evidence or real discussion.

VRR (like GSync/Freesync) matches the displays refresh rate (hence the variable) to what the GPU is outputting in FPS. It doesn't magically add FPS. It does result in a smoother experience when frames do drop (if target is 60 FPS >= 50FPS) to an extent and reduces screen tearing.

Last edited:
"They" were not talking about PS5 at all.

“The Series S can do everything the XSX can, but at 1440p”
When Series x itself is not doing 1440p, what do you expect?
MS never said all games on the XSS will run at 1440p. 1440p was the top end resolution not the ONLY resolution. It is weird to complain about the XSS not hitting 1440p when the PS5 and XSX don't always hit 4k. It is a ridiculous double standard. Why not demand more from the consoles that cost more?

The XSS CAN do everything the XSX can. It has Quick Resume doesn't it? How about FPS boost? VRR? (Sup Riky Riky ) What about its CPU and SSD? RDNA 2 GPU? It's the same tech. It does things no console last generation can do and it does it for a lower cost than last generations best console. It's the best bang for your buck.

This specific game has raytracing and 60fps and the console is $300! The XSS was ALWAYS going to have lower resolutions; people calling out the fact that it does so for $200 less than the XSX isn't news. It was designed to run games at lower resolutions.

Ultra Donny

I Love this upgrade. Bought it again and playing on series X. The atmosphere is so good in this game. I doubt anyone could see the difference between Ps5 or Xsx. There is a lot small dick energy brought to these comparisons threads lately. It's funny but also annoying at the same time.

Link? The very purpose of VRR is to keep the screen showing a steady smooth 60fps despite the input not being a stable 60. That’s the primary purpose of VRR.

A major purpose of variable refresh rates is the elimination of stutters and tearing by keeping refresh rates in sync with a varying frame rate from a video game. This makes display motion more smooth despite a varying frame rate.- Literally every informed person on VRR.

Most games can, will and do dip way below 60fps, however, with VRR your display will adjust it's refresh rate to match the current output of your device so that you don't see tearing, etc.

VRR ties the game's frame rate to the display's refresh rate. That way you don't have any screen tearing and the frame rate still looks silky smooth (down to like 50 fps or so). So yes, you could say it exists to keep everything smooth, but it doesn't magically show 60 fps.

Three

Gold Member
The system has the same technology as the more expensive consoles. Maybe all this time you didn't realize that. Same SSD tech, same Zen 2 CPU, same raytracing capabilities. The fact that it has less teraflops is meaningless especially when someone it trying to save some money. A person buying an XSS won't care about bushes dude they care they are getting the same experience as someone who is paying more. You wouldn't even know unless you are playing both side by side. Hence the XSS provides the best bang for your buck. No other console offers more for less or even the same. It is a fact. You arguing against that shows how silly you are. Perhaps you could offer to pay the difference since you are pushing the more expensive device that has fewer features. 😉
Same raytracing abilities is not correct. It doesn't. Games have released on XSS with raytracing removed.

Three

Gold Member
Dev choice of different priorities. Doesn't mean it's not capable of RT.
"Dev choice". Yeah and I run low settings on my potato laptop because of "gamer choice". What's difficult about saying it does not have the grunt? Say it with me, XSS does not have the GPU power. How on gods green earth can you say

"same raytracing capabilities [as the more expensive consoles] "

It simply doesn't have that and you are fooling yourself if you think it does. Games have shipped with raytracing disabled on the XSS but enabled on PS5/XSX.

dcmk7

Banned
"Dev choice". Yeah and I run low settings on my potato laptop because of "gamer choice". What's difficult about saying it does not have the grunt? Say it with me, XSS does not have the GPU power. How on gods green earth can you say

"same raytracing capabilities [as the more expensive consoles] "

It simply doesn't have that and you are fooling yourself if you think it does. Games have shipped with raytracing disabled on the XSS but enabled on PS5/XSX.

As proven by id Software removing raytracing completely from the upcoming next gen patch for Doom Eternal.

XSX version will have it. Would have thought a MS owned studio could and would pull it off. But I guess they couldn't get around the machines limitations.

skit_data

As proven by id Software removing raytracing completely from the upcoming next gen patch for Doom Eternal.

XSX version will have it. Would have thought a MS owned studio could and would pull it off. But I guess they couldn't get around the machines limitations.
I didn’t know they actually excluded RT implementation on Series S. Pretty big ”oof” IMO. Not really surprised though, ID software devs were the heaviest names on the ”RAM situation on Series S is too low”-list of developers.

Maybe it will be solved in the future, but at this point I strongly doubt it.

dcmk7

Banned
I didn’t know they actually excluded RT implementation on Series S. Pretty big ”oof” IMO. Not really surprised though, ID software devs were the heaviest names on the ”RAM situation on Series S is too low”-list of developers.

Maybe it will be solved in the future, but at this point I strongly doubt it.

They did seem against the machine from the start.

But this was what they put out recently:

Xbox Series X
Performance Mode: 1800p – 120 FPS
Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60 FPS
Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60 FPS

Xbox Series S
Performance Mode: 1080p – 120 FPS
Balanced Mode: 1440p – 60 FPS
Ray Tracing Mode: Not Available

PlayStation 5
Performance Mode: 1584p – 120 FPS

It's a strange omission from a MS owned studio.

skit_data

Xbox Series X

Xbox Series S

PlayStation 5

Yeah I went on to check it because it sounded pretty outrageous that even a 1st party studio had troubles implementing it. Pretty crazy TBH.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member

Xbox Series X

Xbox Series S

PlayStation 5

SQtKczA_d.webp

RT BVHs needs RAM. They complained about it before so they probably thought it's best to remove it entirely on XSS. Hopefully they can get it sorted but people simply didn't listen to sound advice. They kept saying "exact same settings at a lower resolution by flipping a switch" which was complete bullshit for anyone in the know.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
MS never said all games on the XSS will run at 1440p. 1440p was the top end resolution not the ONLY resolution. It is weird to complain about the XSS not hitting 1440p when the PS5 and XSX don't always hit 4k. It is a ridiculous double standard. Why not demand more from the consoles that cost more?

The XSS CAN do everything the XSX can. It has Quick Resume doesn't it? How about FPS boost? VRR? (Sup Riky Riky ) What about its CPU and SSD? RDNA 2 GPU? It's the same tech. It does things no console last generation can do and it does it for a lower cost than last generations best console. It's the best bang for your buck.

This specific game has raytracing and 60fps and the console is $300! The XSS was ALWAYS going to have lower resolutions; people calling out the fact that it does so for $200 less than the XSX isn't news. It was designed to run games at lower resolutions.

I was actually quoting others in that post. I should have made it more clear. My only point was that "they" were talking about XSX, not PS5.

“The Series S can do everything the XSX can, but at 1440p”

When Series x itself is not doing 1440p, what do you expect?

Updated my post to be more clear.

Last edited:

skit_data

SQtKczA_d.webp

RT BVHs needs RAM. They complained about it before so they probably thought it's best to remove it entirely on XSS. Hopefully they can get it sorted but people simply didn't listen to sound advice. They kept saying "exact same settings at a lower resolution by flipping a switch" which was complete bullshit for anyone in the know.
I really don’t wanna dogpile on Series S because its been discussed to death already and I think the results are there to show it indeed has too small of a RAM pool but I saw a paid ad on twitter the other day that made me think otherwise:

lYxp6ix.jpg

This is an ad from the official swedish Xbox account that literally says that the Series S will give you 4k and 120fps on next generation titles. It’s just plain false advertising IMO. I don’t know if the US official account has toned it down a bit but here it’s still in full swing.

Then remove the ray tracing from it.

It will easily outclass ps5 for raw resolution. Look at One x. It's sharper than all next gen systems without ray tracing.

Not the PS5 version without RT though. They really should have given people that option.

Also isn't the XSS limited to 1440P? And the PS5 version with RT hits higher than that if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
Then remove the ray tracing from it.

It will easily outclass ps5 for raw resolution. Look at One x. It's sharper than all next gen systems without ray tracing.
Are you even reading the thread? A first party title:

Xbox Series S

PlayStation 5

PS5 resolution with raytracing is higher than XSS without raytracing. Have you lost your mind?

Are you even reading the thread? A first party title:

Xbox Series S

PlayStation 5

PS5 resolution with raytracing is higher than XSS without raytracing. Have you lost your mind?

Check out Doom Eternal videos.

It has sprinkling of ray tracing.

Metro has full buffet.

I asked that because I thought you must have misunderstood what was being said. You know that is factually not true, right?

Why don't you check all comparison videos comparing xbox one x version with next gen RTGI console versions and see which one is sharpest??

If you remove ray tracing from series s version it will land nearby one x version. Which is way sharper.

Top Bottom