• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Metro Exodus PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
99.99% at 60fps vs 99.76% in favor of PS5 but XSX has a higher native resolution doesnt equal a clear winner in my book.

Seems pretty much a tie to me and play it on whatever console you prefer

Who Knows Idk GIF

assurdum

Banned

99.99%
at 60fps vs 99.76% in favor of PS5 but XSX has a higher native resolution doesnt equal a clear winner in my book.

Who Knows Idk GIF
I don't know what to tell you. Don't care about the winner but I laugh to the 30% of difference in resolution waged some days ago. I can't stop.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
99.99% at 60fps vs 99.76% in favor of PS5 but XSX has a higher native resolution doesnt equal a clear winner in my book.

Who Knows Idk GIF

Not really, seems like this is the latest patch, highest in both is 1600p, lowest is 1080p on XSX and 1008p on PS5. How many PS5 frames dropped? 3 only. How many on XSX? 70!

Seems like DF used a very early version, or an amateur job, TOOLZ.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Not really, seems like this is the latest patch, highest in both is 1600p, lowest is 1080p on XSX and 1008p on PS5. How many PS5 frames dropped? 3 only. How many on XSX? 70!

Seems like DF used a very early version, TOOLZ.
Can someone make a capture about the resolution bolded in the video by DF? Just to have some fun.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Seems like DF used a very early version, TOOLZ.

I just mean I am not losing sleep over an average frame rate of 59.99 vs 59.82 and lowest res of 1080p vs 1008p.

The winner here are the gamers because PS5 vs XSX is just splitting hairs and will make no difference in how one enjoys the game.

But sorry XSS owners...

Will Smith GIF

Riky

$MSFT
Volga Level Opening Train Scene - PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600

Caspian Level Driving - PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600

Taiga Level Exploration - PS5: 2176x1224, Series X: 2400x1350

Taiga Level Forest Demanding Scene - PS5: 1792x1008, Series X: 1920x1080

Seems a pretty constant advantage with a framerate 99.76% at 60fps and the option of VRR for the other 0.24% of frames if you could even notice them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I just mean I am not losing sleep over an average frame rate of 59.99 vs 59.82 and lowest res of 1080p vs 1008p.

The winner here are the gamers because PS5 vs XSX is just splitting hairs and will make no difference in how one enjoys the game.

But sorry XSS owners...

Will Smith GIF

These comparisons are THE GAMES! Of course no one would be sad at either side when actually playing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
5% of one second versus a bit over one second. That's nothing, really.
Also, both versions stay at 1600p the vast majority of the time. Again, barely any difference.

Just play where you like it.
And btw, DF should check their capture equipment. Crushed blacks, my arse.

Yeah that crushed blacks on PS5 and extremely high gamma on XSX is another amateur work from DF.

But sorry XSS owners...

Will Smith GIF
Nothing for XSS owners to be sorry over seeing how they are getting the game AND console for the price of the console alone elsewhere. Price matters to some people.

MistBreeze

I think people who stress over unnoticeable differences in resolutions and frames must think about their priorities in life

seriously we are arguing about basically identical versions at this point

it is not ps2 vs xbox

even it is closer than ps4 vs xbox one or one x vs pro

instead of discussion about the games it is endless discussions about the tiny differences no one can realize in real world scenarios

I only enter comparison threads to read all the memes laugh a little

type another one like every one else and leave

Last edited:

Zathalus

Way less higher as DF make to intend in average. That's why I love this channel. Just stats not verbal hyperbole about what is it better. Lol 1800p series X in opened area and 1215p-1500p on ps5 my balls. And people said they are not MS fanboy lol
VGtech also found a lower minimum for the PS5 then DF did, and DF found a lower minimum for the XSS then Vgtech did. Runs a bit counter to the MS fanboy narrative does it not?

The average pixel difference given by both amounts to around 25% more pixels for the XSX.

chinoXL

I think people who stress over unnoticeable differences in resolutions and frames must think about their priorities in life

seriously we are arguing about basically identical versions at this point

it is not ps2 vs xbox

even it is closer than ps4 vs xbox one or one x vs pro

instead of discussion about the games it is endless discussions about the tiny differences no one can realize in real world scenarios

I only enter comparison threads to read all the memes laugh a little

type another one like every one else and leave
agreed, we got dudes out here breakin out calculations to prove small differences in resolution and framerates. i know its a technical analysis but got damn some of yall take it way too serious

Raonak

Banned
"Pixel counts at 1056x594 seem to be rare on Xbox Series S. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution."

Good to see that the nonsense that XSS runs at 594p was cleared up. A rare drop to that resolution to keep the framerate near 60fps with all the raytracing is a fine tradeoff for a $300 lower resolution console. It's impressive technology.
That's a very roundabout way of saying a certain next gen console can't even keep stable 1080p.

Mid/end of generation games are gonna run like trash on XSS

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Damn that one frame drop to 50 in one very specific section of the game is very unfortunate. If you blink you might miss it. I guess Series X owners will just have to cope by looking at a more detailed image overall during the majority of the game.

If the average frame rate is 59.5x people should probably just relax. It's not the talking point you think it is.
I understood if you can live with more frame drops in the most demanding scenes (VRS and blablablah), but it needs courage to define a more detailed imagine 18% of more pixels at the best.

Last edited:
I understood for you can live to have more frame drops in the most demanding scenes, but it needs a certain measure of courage to define the imagine overall more detailed for a 18% of more pixels at the best

Can someone translate for me. It feels like a suave counterpoint but I'm just not certain..

not-sure-if-trolling-or-if-they-are-in-need-of-medical.jpg

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Yep, Series X has officially taken the overall performance crown. Running the same assets at higher resolution. Sure there are some drops, but it's pumping out more pixels per frame all the time, whereas the drop mentioned is at a random instance, the average framerate is perfectly fine. As for the console itself, it's proving each day with each comparison to be a more capable machine.

Last edited:

waquzy

Wow. Do you really feel the need to crack this same ‘joke’ in every PS v Xbox thread you wander into? Same folk laughing at it every time too.

Careful Riky. I think this one is in love. 😍😘😘
We are talking about a guy who mentions VRR in pretty much every post he has ever posted... yeah, go figure

PS: apparently Riky is planning to name his next offspring: VRR

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
VGtech also found a lower minimum for the PS5 then DF did, and DF found a lower minimum for the XSS then Vgtech did. Runs a bit counter to the MS fanboy narrative does it not?

The average pixel difference given by both amounts to around 25% more pixels for the XSX.
Confused Thinking GIF

Exanthus

Banned
I frankly tired to DF and their way to spin the narrative in some way favour of the Xbox, frankly. The whole Alex chats about the resolution smelled of damage controls to me from the beginning and look at it, here we go again. Another overstimate difference on the same side 🤷‍♂️

So the next DF thread that occurs we won't see you anywhere in it since you are so tired of them?

assurdum

Banned
So the next DF thread that occurs we won't see you anywhere in it since you are so tired of them?
Why you care of what I could say in the next DF thread? Are maybe your friends or your parents? Not sure why everytime you care so much to defend them. Until I'm free to say what I think, I will say whatever I want about them 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Zathalus

VGtech: PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600 = 23.5% more pixels for the XSX.
PS5: 2176x1224, Series X: 2400x1350 = 22% more pixels for the XSX.

DF: PS5: 1804x1015, Series X: 2016x1134 = 25% more pixels for the XSX.
DF: PS5: 2400x1350, Series X: 2688x1512 = 25% more pixels for the XSX.

Seems about right. 4 different scenes, 4 different locations and hovering around 25% pixel difference.

Exanthus

Banned
Why you care of what I could say in the next DF thread? Are maybe your friends or your parents? Not sure why everytime you care so much to defend them. Until I'm free to say what I think, I will say whatever I want about them 🤷‍♂️

Who said I was defending them? Wtf are you even talking about? Lol.

assurdum

Banned
VGtech: PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600 = 23.5% more pixels for the XSX.
PS5: 2176x1224, Series X: 2400x1350 = 22% more pixels for the XSX.

DF: PS5: 1804x1015, Series X: 2016x1134 = 25% more pixels for the XSX.
DF: PS5: 2400x1350, Series X: 2688x1512 = 25% more pixels for the XSX.

Seems about right. 4 different scenes, 4 different locations and hovering around 25% pixel difference.
The more correct math it's around 19-23% at the best

Anyway:
Volga Level Opening Train Scene

- PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600

Caspian Level Driving

- PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600

Taiga Level Exploration

- PS5: 2176x1224, Series X: 2400x1350

Taiga Level Forest Demanding Scene

- PS5: 1792x1008, Series X: 1920x1080
Where do you get it your number? From what I have understood is not the average difference but the most relevant difference found

Last edited:
That's a very roundabout way of saying a certain next gen console can't even keep stable 1080p.

Mid/end of generation games are gonna run like trash on XSS
Absolute nonsense. But I'm sure you know that that this game was running using the last generational graphical pipeline. There is nothing about this last generational game running current generational graphical features that shows it won't be able to handle current generational games especially when all XSS games will be hitting PC and most PCs have lower specs than the XSS. But hey if you can't knock the cheapest current generation console what can you knock right? How do you feel about more expensive consoles falling below 1080p? Sign of trouble ahead?

Coincidentally, the studio who developed this have predicted the same.
These the same guys that admitted these consoles have more power than they thought? I really think it's cool how you leave out details like that but I'm well aware of how you roll. You've managed to ignore any developer who has no issues with the XSS after all. 👍🏾

Top Bottom