• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Marvel's Avengers PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S Frame Rate Comparison

VFXVeteran

Banned
So when will we start seeing consistent results?

Some of the comparisons don't really indicate a massive difference between the two. I'm wondering if you believe that will ever happen like some people said before the systems released.
In the end, both systems will be enjoyed by all. It's not a big issue if the XSX is more powerful. The games are what people should be really concerned about. Playing them and having an enjoyable experience is what matters.

Last edited:

Dozer831

Neo Member
One games doesn’t matter, people need to stop with this whole console war BS. As long as both consoles are at or above 1440p and 60fps who cares. Even DF said you’re not going to tell a difference unless you put your face against the screen. PS5 is running other games better and now XSX runs this game better, it’s going to be like this all generation. Depending on devs/game engine it will change.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PS5 still look better because it’s higher res. It would only look better on XSX if it was CB 1440p vs Native 1440p but it’s not, It’s 1296p. Checkerboarding have little to no impact.
HHfpsU9.jpg
textures look more blurry on the arm on the ps5 and under the chin. just looks more blurry all round really

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

PS5 still look better because it’s higher res. It would only look better on XSX if it was CB 1440p vs Native 1440p but it’s not, It’s 1296p. Checkerboarding have little to no impact.
HHfpsU9.jpg
You shouldn't have used that shot. Some obvious IQ shortcomings between the two.

sncvsrtoip

We have seen CB produce some excellent results, e.g., Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn. The problem seems to lie in the CBR implementation by the developers. Hopefully, the artifacting and the poor UI experience is a bug and can be easily patched.
depends of what we call excellent, dynamic resolution in valhalla looks sharper than cb in Death Stradning

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

PS5 in quality mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 3200x1800. Xbox Series X in quality mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3413x1920
thats like 13.7% advantage for xsx for minimum res in high resolution mode, I think using ps4pro resolution for ps5 performance mode was way to aggressive solution

Last edited:

Dozer831

Neo Member
The CBR on PS5 looks rough. It looks similar to Nier Automata on X1X or RDR2 on PS4 Pro both of which have really poor IQ compared to native res.
thats like 13.7% advantage for xsx for minimum res in high resolution mode, I think using ps4pro resolution for ps5 performance mode was way to aggressive solution
Because it's a Port from ps4 pro that use checkerboard this is an enhanced Port they just upgrade the graphics but they doesn't change the pixel structure

Reizo Ryuu

It's a fun game, until you finish the campaign and then realize there's no point in grinding gear and levelling up. I still say it was worth it for the campaign, but many disagree.
Dunno, gear refines the combat imo.
My 150 power widow has perks that make her ranged options very powerful; I can basically spray her guns for nearly instant stuns or loads of damage.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's a fun game, until you finish the campaign and then realize there's no point in grinding gear and levelling up. I still say it was worth it for the campaign, but many disagree.
Yeah I been seeing a lot of loving it or hating it. Was on offer so thought I would give it a bash.

J_Gamer.exe

Doesn't seem like one of the better implementations of CB rendering.

The fact it was CB on the Pro and still is on the ps5 tells us what sort of a port this is.

They seemingly haven't made any significant changes to the codebase. Looks a quick limited up port.

CB when done right looks really good but temporal injection / accumulation is the way forawrd, virtually indistinguishable from native.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
yes and ? :) I'm pointing that cb is not best solution imho and dynamic res can brings better results
Personally I'm a big of dynamic resolution. I think there should always be a dynamic res option as a failsafe, backup plan.

CB can also work very well (Death Stranding, Horizon, and Sekiro are excellent examples) and can save resources to spend elsewhere that make the game look or play better. This particular CBR implementation in Avengers is very dodgy though. Second, and more importantly, Avengers used CB in PS4 Pro (and Xbox One X used native resolution). In this version, the developer apparently just ported those resolution settings and didn't change anything.

Otherwise, I agree that, considering this poor CB implementation, a native res would have been a much better solution in this game on both consoles.

Godfavor

Doesn't seem like one of the better implementations of CB rendering.

The fact it was CB on the Pro and still is on the ps5 tells us what sort of a port this is.

They seemingly haven't made any significant changes to the codebase. Looks a quick limited up port.

CB when done right looks really good but temporal injection / accumulation is the way forawrd, virtually indistinguishable from native.

This is why we should never take any of these comparisons seriously. Neither system has been used effeciently, all these games are running previous generation code without any next gen features.

It is like arguing for AC black flag on ps4/xbox one and having unity the year after.

Andodalf

Banned
This game is super post effects heavy, XSX is flexing its bandwidth advantage. I’m also starting wonder just how big that OS Ram reserve is on PS5. 4K and PIP can’t come cheap...

Dozer831

Neo Member
This is why we should never take any of these comparisons seriously. Neither system has been used effeciently, all these games are running previous generation code without any next gen features.

It is like arguing for AC black flag on ps4/xbox one and having unity the year after
Exactly

Dozer831

Neo Member
There's nothing to cope with checkerboard is used to save processing power that the PS5 obviously doesn't have.

PS5 is checkerboard. To get even 1440p. Realy!!!
Because it's a Port from ps4 pro that use checkerboard this is an enhanced Port they just upgrade the graphics but they doesn't change the pixel structure....

J_Gamer.exe

It is like arguing for AC black flag on ps4/xbox one and having unity the year after.
Well if they are at the same res and details or no obvious bc limitation, we can get an idea of how they perform across different engines comparatively.

Its more these big differences only based on last gen bc limitations that people run with.

Some in this thread making out the ps5 is using CB rendering because it cant handle more res, despite being proven wrong countless times in ither comparisons. 🙄

For eg like the one x and pro versions or even people saying ps5 games run higher res on older ps4 games that didn't get a one x patch. Yes they run better but its a bc limitation. Not hardware obviously.

Ps5 has suffered the opposite of that example from the pro versions without always the ability to easily up res etc without a patch which in this climate devs would rather not do.

Still though there's enough examples of the direction of where these consoles land, trading blows, PS5 having less issues and smoother framerates overall.

There have been some decent cross gen ports, not fully advantage of either but gives us an idea.

Last edited:

Wasn't Unity worse on the PS4? And then we all knew how the gen of the gen ended up.

I don't think that's the best example to be honest.

Edit: Wasn't Unity also that "parity and stuff" incident?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
What would be considered a next gen 'feature'? I'm curious.

Last edited:
People still dont get it, even after months of developer insights this games arent native there is no point console warring on this results none of this games should be used as a benchmark.

Even the remedy dev explained this just recently about the troubles of making crossgen games! They suffer from decisions that where made in lastgen consoles the code the engine the apis they are not utiliing the nextgen consoles power properly, ps5 has been known to suffer in some games because of how its bc emulation works if a game was engineered to use cbr on ps4 it will also use cbr on ps5 and run the same resolutions unless devs spend more time fixing this issues which they dont care about all they care is if the game hits their target frame rate and resolution doesnt matter if upscaled or cbr.

And a good example is the god of war bc update the old version used ps4 pro settings but the new version was much improved same for the last guardian and days gone updates.

The same thing on series x some cross gen games have xdk to gdk issues so you cant relly on crossgen games as a benchmark all this games do is just give people something to talk about.

Last edited:
What would be considered a next gen 'feature'? I'm curious.
Developers have said ffor months you can go and listen to the remedy dev he explained the problems with making crossgen games and he said they suffer from decisions made in lastgen consoles the code, the engines the apis everything is hard to change and explained that the proper nextgen native game they are making will look and perform massivley different from how control preforms...

And for months weve know. About series x xdk to gdk issues and ps5s bc issues, crossgen games on ps5 suffer from ps4 pro code they use the same settings if from resolutions and cbr they just hit solid 60 because of the ps5s power but same bc games when updated well look crisper as weve seen with god of war ps5 bc update it used to run on ps4 pro settings and resolutions but was improved with an update in ps5 and hits a crisp 4k 60 cbr than before same as days gone and the last guardian.

So calling this crossgen games as a benchmark is just plain stupid.

Godfavor

Wasn't Unity worse on the PS4? And then we all knew how the gen of the gen ended up.

I don't think that's the best example to be honest.

Edit: Wasn't Unity also that "parity and stuff" incident?

Yes it is not the best example because it was a mess when it was released, but I was talking about the graphic fidelity between black flag and unity which is massive

Top Bottom