• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Marvel's Avengers PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S Frame Rate Comparison

PS5 in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2560x1440. PS5 in performance mode uses a form of checkerboard rendering to reach the stated resolutions. Checkerboard 3840x2160 seems to be a common rendering resolution on PS5 in performance mode. PS5 in performance mode can sometimes exhibit half horizontal resolution artifacts and the UI elements can sometimes show visible stippling artifacts, both seem to be related to the use of checkerboard rendering.
Xbox Series X in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Pixel counts between 3648x2052 and 3264x1836 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in performance mode.
Xbox Series S in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in performance mode.
In quality mode the resolution seems to rarely drop below the maximum resolution found on all three consoles.
TTmqcaR.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Already an Avengers comparison thread.

- The 3 versions have 2 display modes: 4K / 30FPS (1440p on S Series) and some improved settings or variable 4K at 60FPS (1080p on S Series).

- 4K / 30FPS mode has slight improvement in reflections, textures, particles, draw distance and shadows. - In 4K / 30FPS mode they all experience some small drops in resolution, although they keep the target set most of the time, especially Series X.

- In FPS mode, for the first few minutes of the game, the PS5 resolution varies between 3840x2160 and 2560x1440p, but as soon as we get to the Quinjet and start missions with more open and loaded spaces, the usual resolution becomes dynamic 1920x2160p, while on X Series it stays at dynamic 3840x1836p. In this case, there is a clear advantage in the Xbox version.

- In FPS mode, Series X maintains a higher draw distance. - Slightly better loading times on PS5.

- The framerate is quite stable in both modes, slightly better on PS5

Already an Avengers comparison thread.

- The 3 versions have 2 display modes: 4K / 30FPS (1440p on S Series) and some improved settings or variable 4K at 60FPS (1080p on S Series).

- 4K / 30FPS mode has slight improvement in reflections, textures, particles, draw distance and shadows. - In 4K / 30FPS mode they all experience some small drops in resolution, although they keep the target set most of the time, especially Series X.

- In FPS mode, for the first few minutes of the game, the PS5 resolution varies between 3840x2160 and 2560x1440p, but as soon as we get to the Quinjet and start missions with more open and loaded spaces, the usual resolution becomes dynamic 1920x2160p, while on X Series it stays at dynamic 3840x1836p. In this case, there is a clear advantage in the Xbox version.

- In FPS mode, Series X maintains a higher draw distance. - Slightly better loading times on PS5.

- The framerate is quite stable in both modes, slightly better on PS5
That's a different analyst, and some people don't trust him because he's produced bad results in the past.

assurdum

Banned
The ps5 has checkerboard rendering where the vertical axis gets completely split in half and the game and even menus text on screen becomes extremely blurry. It's effectively running at 1920 x 2160. It's a massive resolution drop compared to the series x.
It not effectively runs at "1920x2160p".
First he said "sometimes" and not all the time and precisely:
PS5 in performance mode can sometimes exhibit half horizontal resolution artifacts and the UI elements can sometimes show visible stippling artifacts, both seem to be related to the use of checkerboard rendering.
Quite surprising to see such issue something is definitely off in the CBR solutions. Hope it's a bug. Said that why not use dynamic 1600-1800p resolution if CBR is broken? Really opinable choice.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Checkerboard vs native. Oh and 25 more fames on PS5 from over 20,000 frames, how will XSX users cope with such a lower framerate!
20,000 frames tested at 60 fps = 333 seconds = about 5.5 minutes

25 frames out of 20,000 frames = 0.125%

0.125% out of 333 seconds = 0.4 seconds

So if I did the math right, for every 5.5 minutes, the PS5 game had slightly better frame rates 0.4 seconds of the time.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Interesting findings even if not having a laugh.

PS5 retaining 4Kcb vs eg 1836p native on XsX may indeed provide a crisper result for PS5 more often. Need more in-depth insight from likes of NXGamer.
In theory yes 4kcbr is extremely comparable in terms of sharpness to native 1800p but in this case that CBR sucks.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are you confused? All 3 have as near perfect 60fps as videogames go, and Series X has a higher internal resolution and even better textures in some parts, probably due to a glitch in the PS5 version.
It's possible the XSX is running higher-res textures since it's something like 30GB larger than the PS5 version.

assurdum

Banned
What exactly is bullshit?

I did some quick math and on average, XSX is pushing around 55% more pixels than the PS5. Huge difference. I wonder what happened.
I'm asking if you genuinely asking or are you trolling. How many games patched from pro to ps5 showed a tiny resolution gap compared the series X :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Are you looking at the numbers backwards? PS5 has res and fps advantages

The irony in this post.
Did you not watch the video or did you just fail to understand it?

Unless you some sort of super computer the framedrops that happen so so rarely wouldnt be noticeable 58 vs 60 for 1 or 2 frames is negligible, the definition of known-ship.

fauxK vs 4K though?

<---- Thinks more games should use TAAU or CB in conjunction with DSR for a best of both worlds situation.

Cant wait for SuperResolution I wonder the first game implement it.

Movie Horror GIF by The Grudge

Interesting, I feel like three different analysts have found three slightly different results regarding PS5’s common checkerboarding performance.

PS5 won Crash 4 last week, but looks like XsX wins Avengers this week. Native resolution in performance mode with higher draw distance, and basically the same performance.

Wonder why no one has compared Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Figured once it got released on PS5 someone would compare

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You can see the texture filtering difference on the upper half of the image. Bottom line is the image on the right shows a pretty significant difference, no need to come in defending the PS5's honor.
As expected you haven't a single clue of you are talking about and you can't even distinguish the blurriness of a lower precision buffer IQ to a better AF. Jeez

Last edited:

Stuart360

As expected you haven't a single clue of you are talking about and you can't even distinguish a low precision buffer IQ to a better AF. Jeez
To be fair, i also agree with you that its not AF related. I have to say though that if the image quality is that bad on PS5, then well i dont think it really matters whats causing it.

Also what is it with the consoles not doing 16xAF in every game?, its basically 'free' performance wise on PC.

DEdkpzz.png

You can see the texture filtering difference on the upper half of the image. Bottom line is the image on the right shows a pretty significant difference, no need to come in defending the PS5's honor. I can't even begin to imagine how you're going to cope when the gap widens.

Some people get really disturbed anytime a Series console shows any sort of advantage at all in any game.

To be fair, i also agree with you that its not AF related. I have to say though that if the image quality is that bad on PS5, then well i dont think it really matters whats causing it.

Also what is it with the consoles not doing 16xAF in every game?, its basically 'free' performance wise on PC.
Last gen was kinda bandwidth starved, so I get it. But this gen there is no excuse not to use 16xAF.

Top Bottom