• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Halo Infinite Xbox Series S 120fps Mode Frame Rate Test

Riky

$MSFT
i asked riky if vrr is working properly or not with uncapped series s mode (80-110 frames) but he refuses to answer for some reason.

The reasons very simple, I've only tested the Series X version last night because other people said it's fixed. It isn't as I detail in my previous post.
I'll have a look at Series S this week.

Banned
It isn't as bad now, I had a look at it last night after John's comments in the DF weekly.
Performance has improved greatly with all the patches, so much so that the game just runs mostly at 120fps so VRR becomes less useful.
During gameplay I couldn't see any judder when the framerate was dropping to about 110fps so I presumed it has been fixed, but it hasn't .
If you stand very high up and look over a large expanse normally with water in you can more easily drop the framerate to about 110fps, then if you stand still and move the camera slowly you can see some judder, move the camera fast and it's incredibly difficult to spot.
So on Series X I would say 120fps is a go as noticing it in gameplay is very very difficult.

well on SX sure, but Series S would absolutely need VRR in campaign

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The real reason MS cares about 120FPS on Series S is cloud gaming. Really their entire 120FPS push likely is about that (despite some small amount of consumer caring about it.)

Doesn't matter if your stream is 30FPS or 60FPS, running the game at 120FPS decreases input latency significantly.

And doing that on Series S means much less energy used in your datacenter. Energy/heat are the true costs of running compute in a datacenter.

MS likely will use Series S level settings for 1080p in xCloud, with Series X being reserved for 4k streams (and potentially w/ some sort of add-on cost.)

And they'll encourage use of 120FPS modes.

Last edited:

elliot5

Im going to try that soon.
FWIW I got to the open world section and it’s not very noticeably smoother on a 120hz NON VRR screen. But there’s no screen tearing as far as I can tell. 60hz feels a bit smoother maybe because of the more even frame pacing and all that. The section inside just before entering the open world felt perfect though.

Never felt like i was dipping hard though

SkylineRKR

Yeah. MS put lots of silly mandates for 3rd party software at the start. They rules over the size of XB Live Arcade games was stupid too

Yeah it broke a lot of games like Soul Calibur. And it was because of the 360 Core, ofcourse. And the Premium only having 13gb too.

Once MS opened it up like Sony did at the start, the limits were lifted and the digital releases were far more serious.

Top Bottom