• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Halo Infinite Series X|S & Xbox One X|S Frame Rate Test (Tech Preview)

Md Ray

I guess it's the fact that 540p is a very low number of pixels for a console in 2021.
ud3gEVr.png

BigLee74

Honestly, watching that footage I never would have guessed it runs at 720p or 540p on Series S. Then again, all it takes is some tech channel to convice people that it looks like shit. Otherwise they would have believed it's native 1080p.

I have played countless games on Series S, and with the exception of AC Valhalla, none of them looked even remotely bad.
Outsiders apparently runs between 720p and 1080p - most of the time looks even better, thanks to the reconstruction techniques that pushes it to 1440p.

Again, why is there such a hate for Series S, when it's clearly punching above its weight, and no other 300$ hardware come close to it?

Funny thing is, XSX and PS5 are not held to the same standard. Apparently it's okay that some games run at 1080p on these so called 4K consoles, while we are still in the first year of new generation.

It only appears like there is a lot of hate because the same few posters repeat the same nonsense posts in every single comparison thread.

Riky

$MSFT
Im not a fan of the Series S and wish it didn't exist. But its intended to be a budget console.

Also same people trolling the S were the same defending a 1080p game on a "8k" console. So you can't really listen to anything they say. The goalposts are constantly on the move.

I would love to know how many Series S owners have one connected to a 4k 120Hz TV, I would say probably not many. For me it's a bedroom console, if you have a Series X you can share your games and Gamepass to your kids or play in another room yourself. Both the Series S we have are in bedrooms on 1080p displays.

EdGalTBR

Banned
Honestly, watching that footage I never would have guessed it runs at 720p or 540p on Series S. Then again, all it takes is some tech channel to convice people that it looks like shit. Otherwise they would have believed it's native 1080p.

I have played countless games on Series S, and with the exception of AC Valhalla, none of them looked even remotely bad.
Outsiders apparently runs between 720p and 1080p - most of the time looks even better, thanks to the reconstruction techniques that pushes it to 1440p.

Again, why is there such a hate for Series S, when it's clearly punching above its weight, and no other 300$ hardware come close to it?

Funny thing is, XSX and PS5 are not held to the same standard. Apparently it's okay that some games run at 1080p on these so called 4K consoles, while we are still in the first year of new generation.

Outriders looks really good on Xbox Series S and i truly would have thought that it ran at 1440p.

I would love to know how many Series S owners have one connected to a 4k 120Hz TV, I would say probably not many. For me it's a bedroom console, if you have a Series X you can share your games and Gamepass to your kids or play in another room yourself. Both the Series S we have are in bedrooms on 1080p displays.

Well, I do. But most of the time it's connected to the 144hz 24 inch monitor.

I do have to say though, games that are at least 1080p looks quite good on a 65" TV from around 2-2.5m away.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Man... Series S does 60 with a 120 option as well.. MSFS is 30 on both.. May get an Series S after all seeing I don't have or seeing myself getting a 120hrz capable monitor/tv in a good while.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

You say this but it hasn't lived up to the original marketing. Or even the revised marketing material. At all. So not sure why you think its outstanding.

Certainly shouldn't call lows of 540p as outstanding performance.. but maybe we have different standards.
Played on my monitor 1080p, 60Hz with 60fps mode & gameplay was damn good.
Honestly I'm surprised that 300$ console can pull that fidelity, framerate & graphic.
Series S for me is huge success.

twilo99

Man... Series S does 60 with a 120 option as well.. MSFS is 30 on both.. May get an Series S after all seeing I don't have or seeing myself getting a 120hrz capable monitor/tv in a good while.

The series is a very potent little machine.

I have a feeling we are going to see them at $199 this holiday season, so if you wanna save some $ maybe wait a bit longer

elliot5

The only effects I didn't like much are the plasma/energy/explosion VFX. Grenade explosions are a bit too orange idk how to describe it. The red energy shots from the Banished weapon are pretty ugly. Plasma grenade is alright though

You say this but it hasn't lived up to the original marketing. Or even the revised marketing material. At all. So not sure why you think its outstanding.

Certainly shouldn't call lows of 540p as outstanding performance.. but maybe we have different standards.

At this point you should just accept that both Series consoles, as well as PS5 have not lived up to their marketing slogans. They never will.

Still, there are games running at 1440p or even 4K on XSS. A lot of titles offering up to 120 fps too.

And again, if it wasn't for Digital Foundry or VG Tech, majority of people wouldn't have known the true resolution of the game. However, I'm certainly satisfied with what I saw on my screen.

You say this then go on on your own tirade about "the other consoles".... Don't project, I play games on the hardware I have and pick the hardware because it has the games I want (I also have some standards for performance, hence the disappointment with the series S). I'm about as much of a hardware whore as they come, for both consoles AND PC, but I also don't buy just to buy stuff.

This is a valid opinion to think that giving your friends the advice to buy the series S is bad advice, you can disagree and try to rationalize it all you want.
Tirade? I simply put things into perspective. You pop into a tread to 'dunk' on a console you don't own and call it a tirade when simple questions are asked? I too play games on consoles I have but I don't feel the need to make myself feel better by knocking the affordable box. I also see you didn't answer my question. Where is the console that's cheaper than the XSS that outperforms it sir? You have standards for performance lets see your example of better performance for less cash.

As far as advice for consoles I give advice based on what the PERSON wants not myself. I don't own a XSS but I don't feel the need to criticize it because I understand all systems aren't for all people. If you are target audience for the XSS its a perfect console for THEM regardless of what I may choose. I think the XSS offers the best bang for your buck seeing how for the same price you can pay for other consoles you can get the XSS with games or Game pass. That deal isn't matched anywhere. You are entitized to have an unrealistic expectation about the XSS and I am entitled to have a realistic one.

At this point you should just accept that both Series consoles, as well as PS5 have not lived up to their marketing slogans. They never will.

Still, there are games running at 1440p or even 4K on XSS. A lot of titles offering up to 120 fps too.

And again, if it wasn't for Digital Foundry or VG Tech, majority of people wouldn't have known the true resolution of the game. However, I'm certainly satisfied with what I saw on my screen.
Exactly. The biggest difference is that the higher end consoles cost more. If I am paying more I should be asking for more. Attacking the most affordable console and holding it to the highest standard is so silly.

Exactly, the same ones who claim framerate is king in other comparison threads.
My man Riky Riky bringing the facts yet again. Phil Spencer also said that framerate was the most important thing and low and behold the XSS has plenty of 60 and 120 fps modes on games. Sounds like the marketing was dead on. Still waiting to see the console that offers better performance for less money. I keep asking the complainers and still have not seen an answer yet. I wonder why?

SkylineRKR

Kind of bummed by the S resolution in 120hz mode but it does offer 120hz at least. I beat Doom Eternal on S which looked absolutely phenomenal in 120hz mode. This was on a 55 LG CX with a PS5 next to it.

I have to see it with my own eyes, on my own setup. When it comes to MP it comes to good performance and visibility, I just want to have good controls and fast inputs. I'd probably play that at 120 on S anyway, no matter the resolution drop.

And yes the Series S is absolutely delivering on framerates. There are some non upgraded One S games not tapping into anything but the ones being boosted, like Prey, Alien: Isolation, Dishonored, Doom 120hz etc are all playing really well on Series S and with super fast load times on top. Its a great machine for its price, don't forget the base PS4 costs just as much.

Last edited:

Your console of choice has lows of 900p, yet it's marketed as a 4K console. In fact, it almost never reaches 4K, I can count the exceptions on one hand. I haven't seen you be upset about that, though. Maybe you simply forgot 🤭

Mr Moose

Upscaling tech this gen is pretty damn good.
120fps mode on Series X is a bit rough but it's not a new build and there's still plenty of time for release.
Your console of choice has lows of 900p, yet it's marketed as a 4K console. In fact, it almost never reaches 4K, I can count the exceptions on one hand. I haven't seen you be upset about that, though. Maybe you simply forgot 🤭
Leave the Series X out of this.

dcmk7

Banned

Forgotten what?

If you recall I wasn't impressed when the resolution on PS5 or XSX falls below HD resolution either.

And that's pretty off topic.

And tbh 540p is on another level to that.

Last edited:

NickFire

It's concern trolling by Team Sony. Notice how no Series S owner complains about resolutions, either because they play on a small TV/monitor, or because they have common sense and pick the 60 fps mode if the 120 fps mode is too low resolution for them. Trolls gonna be trolls :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I'm sure there are some trolls hating on S cause its from MS, but anyone who is not a troll probably understands there are PS5 and Series X owners who dislike Series S because they believe Series S will stunt game growth.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The series is a very potent little machine.

I have a feeling we are going to see them at $199 this holiday season, so if you wanna save some $ maybe wait a bit longer

Relative to what Xbox seems to bring for me personally it sure is.

My primary focus is upgraded BC and MSFS/Halo: Infinite. So I should be okay with a Series S. I do hope the next Horizon is 60fps on S though.

I'm not sure about that price drop. Perhaps some 280€ deals around Christmas.

elliot5

Relative to what Xbox seems to bring for me personally it sure is.

My primary focus is upgraded BC and MSFS/Halo: Infinite. So I should be okay with a Series S. I do hope the next Horizon is 60fps on S though.

I'm not sure about that price drop. Perhaps some 280€ deals around Christmas.
Next Horizon meaning 5 or 6? Horizon 5 is confirmed to have a 1080p/60fps mode for XSS.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Next Horizon meaning 5 or 6? Horizon 5 is confirmed to have a 1080p/60fps mode for XSS.

The Mexico one. Lol, telling how much care I have regarding this new gen. *thinks about playing Metropolis Street Racer*

sncvsrtoip

I'm sure there are some trolls hating on S cause its from MS, but anyone who is not a troll probably understands there are PS5 and Series X owners who dislike Series S because they believe Series S will stunt game growth.
when they will target 540p on xss I don't see any problem ;d

DragonNCM

Tirade? I simply put things into perspective. You pop into a tread to 'dunk' on a console you don't own and call it a tirade when simple questions are asked? I too play games on consoles I have but I don't feel the need to make myself feel better by knocking the affordable box. I also see you didn't answer my question. Where is the console that's cheaper than the XSS that outperforms it sir? You have standards for performance lets see your example of better performance for less cash.

As far as advice for consoles I give advice based on what the PERSON wants not myself. I don't own a XSS but I don't feel the need to criticize it because I understand all systems aren't for all people. If you are target audience for the XSS its a perfect console for THEM regardless of what I may choose. I think the XSS offers the best bang for your buck seeing how for the same price you can pay for other consoles you can get the XSS with games or Game pass. That deal isn't matched anywhere. You are entitized to have an unrealistic expectation about the XSS and I am entitled to have a realistic one.

Exactly. The biggest difference is that the higher end consoles cost more. If I am paying more I should be asking for more. Attacking the most affordable console and holding it to the highest standard is so silly.

My man Riky Riky bringing the facts yet again. Phil Spencer also said that framerate was the most important thing and low and behold the XSS has plenty of 60 and 120 fps modes on games. Sounds like the marketing was dead on. Still waiting to see the console that offers better performance for less money. I keep asking the complainers and still have not seen an answer yet. I wonder why?
THIS !

I got my PS5 on launch but didn't want to miss gamepass library with so many good games so got my XBOX SS in Jun.
Damn was a nice surprise, that console have own heart & is little beast who handless games very well.
Will be a huge success among gamers as a second console or gamers who don't care about best graphic & framerate in the world.
My two daughter's didn't touched PS5 after June........nether I.Just waiting for real exclusives AAA games to show up on PS5.
Till then Xbox SS is my main cross platform gaming console & main console for Microsoft studios games.

Agreed, so why did you call people trolls for expressing opinions?
I didn't expect this to be hard to follow, but let me lay it out: Team Sony being (falsely) concerned about the XSS holding back next gen makes zero sense in a Halo Infinite thread (and also makes zero sense otherwise, but that's a different topic). Halo Infinite is an Xbox exclusive.

Do you have any evidence of this especially in a Halo Infinite thread? Do you think Halo Infinite is stunted by the XSS? Do you realize all Xbox games will be on PC and the XSS outclasses many PCs on the market right now? This is a world where the Steam Deck can play all PC games yet the XSS is the bottleneck? Something doesn't add up.

dcmk7

Banned
I didn't expect this to be hard to follow, but let me lay it out: Team Sony being (falsely) concerned about the XSS holding back next gen makes zero sense in a Halo Infinite thread (and also makes zero sense otherwise, but that's a different topic). Halo Infinite is an Xbox exclusive.
I think you're confused..

You seem to be mentioning Sony and PlayStation an awful lot in a thread about the analysis of an Xbox exclusive game.

Why bring them up, seemingly out of the blue, in the first place? Only to point fingers to everyone who's replied to you and state that they are the ones derailing.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

NickFire

I think you're confused..

You seem to be mentioning Sony and PlayStation an awful lot in a thread about the analysis of an Xbox exclusive game.

Why bring them up, seemingly out of the blue, in the first place? Only to point fingers to everyone who's replied to you and state that they are the ones derailing.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Does not make any sense at all. He called criticism of Series S concern trolling by Sony fans, gets reminded that its not just Sony fans who dislike the S, and then he responds with a post that suggests any response to HIS VERY OWN CLAIM is thread derailing. That makes no sense at all.

Top Bottom