• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Halo Infinite Series X|S & Xbox One X|S Frame Rate Test (Tech Preview)

twilo99

Series S should be alright on VRR capable display.

Are we expecting further performance improvements or is this pretty much what we get at release?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Apart from the stuttering on the One X and One S, which hopefully they can fix, it looks to have fantastic performance across the board on all consoles.

So many times watching that I was thinking in my head "dodge to the side using the thrusters!". Man I can't believe they got rid of the thrusters. Playing Doom Eternal and Halo 5 and then going back to this limited movement is going to be disappointing.

yamaci17

if its averaging around 720p at 120 fps, that's fantastic. you can't expect more out of 4 tflops gpu power budget

its illogical to expect 1080p 120 fps with that budget

at this point, we all have to agree that series s is not a device that guarantees high image quality or sharp visuals, it is a cheap, budget option for people to jump on to the xbox gaming wagon and it does its job just fine :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:

yamaci17

It was actually impressive performance considering it was a tech preview. That SHOULD be the conversation.
pc is horrible rn, even 5900x can't seem to be breaking past 70-80 frames

most zen 2 cpus seem to hover around 45-60 and lower CPUs seem to be ranging from 25-45

ofc it may be a blatant bad port, we shall see how much they will improve, not a good first outing though

Wasn't Returnal upscaled from 1080p on the Ps5? Interesting all the trolling over the S.
Returnal looked the part for a next-gen game tho, that game is bland as they come.

Dips to 540p... ouch
I swear for a console that costs $300 it sure gets criticized a lot. Primarily by people who don't have the box and aren't affected by its existence. Thanks for your contribution lol.
Who should buy it with the performance numbers it shows? We are all affected, if only because if MS would have been able to make the console somehow as powerful as the big consoles, or even close to the PS5 disc less nobody would complain...

I know this is not reasonable, but I'm giving you a scenario where it would be unreasonable to complain at all and the only option anyone with half a brain would have it to praise it at every occasion... For people who already have any console this "entry into next-gen" it not worth anything, especially if you have a Pro type console. But even then, it costs enough that people question the value they get for it, even if you have a 1080p TV there is a sizeable amount of games that will run lower than the TVs native resolution, when this kind of TV was becoming common and relatively affordable 12 years ago! Add to this that the thing barely comes with any storage at all and that by the time you upgraded the storage the machine will have cost as much as the series X. Maybe for 150 or 200$ then nobody would question the compromises you need to make when you choose the Series S... and we have not even touched the often less stable resolutions.

Also, I looked at the footage of the game, I can't see anything going for it beyond the fact that it has a 120fps mode, it looks as dated as it did when they first revealed it last year. I won't argue with people who think it looks fun, it kind of reminds me of a less sci-fi Unreal Tournament or something, but I have not played online deathmatch/etc. in so long, I don't care. But the game looks dated, I would not expect the campaign to look anywhere near a technical show piece (no excuse for this, that game is a sequel in a top gaming franchise that offered breakthrough visuals in the past).

S0ULZB0URNE

Damn what? It is a 1080p $300 budget console that has more 120fps games than some consoles that cost more. If you didn't know, graphics are what is compromised on this device. That said it has dynamic resolution scaling. It changes based on load. It doesn't stay at 900p or 540p what it is staying at is over 100 fps. For a modern competitive fps what is more important: resolution or framerate? Also have YOU played it at all?
It has more because of MS BC solution.

That console you can't stop TROLLING has current/cross gen examples of 120 fps games that xss doesn't.

At this rate xss won't fare well as this generation progresses.

Edit: oh and I also have a xss but it's for my young nephew.... not for serious play.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

These tests are always so dumb. The game was a technical preview, and as such -- ran pretty good for what it was on XBOX Series and PC.

I don't know about XBOX ONE, looks choppy on the One S and OG XBOX ONE on the videos I saw.

I had fun, can't wait for the finished product. Any smart person knows this will play best on XBOX Series or PC.

Banned
it's hard to actually conclude anything from this in terms of predicting performance of the final game.

just remember how Gears 4 looked and ran in beta vs the final game

betamnjc6.png

finaleskgx.png

if you run an ACTUAL beta, not a glorified demo, then you have to expect significant changes in the final version.

Returnal looked the part for a next-gen game tho, that game is bland as they come.

Dips to 540p... ouch

Who should buy it with the performance numbers it shows? We are all affected, if only because if MS would have been able to make the console somehow as powerful as the big consoles, or even close to the PS5 disc less nobody would complain...

I know this is not reasonable, but I'm giving you a scenario where it would be unreasonable to complain at all and the only option anyone with half a brain would have it to praise it at every occasion... For people who already have any console this "entry into next-gen" it not worth anything, especially if you have a Pro type console. But even then, it costs enough that people question the value they get for it, even if you have a 1080p TV there is a sizeable amount of games that will run lower than the TVs native resolution, when this kind of TV was becoming common and relatively affordable 12 years ago! Add to this that the thing barely comes with any storage at all and that by the time you upgraded the storage the machine will have cost as much as the series X. Maybe for 150 or 200$ then nobody would question the compromises you need to make when you choose the Series S... and we have not even touched the often less stable resolutions.

Also, I looked at the footage of the game, I can't see anything going for it beyond the fact that it has a 120fps mode, it looks as dated as it did when they first revealed it last year. I won't argue with people who think it looks fun, it kind of reminds me of a less sci-fi Unreal Tournament or something, but I have not played online deathmatch/etc. in so long, I don't care. But the game looks dated, I would not expect the campaign to look anywhere near a technical show piece (no excuse for this, that game is a sequel in a top gaming franchise that offered breakthrough visuals in the past).
Wow time and time again Concern Concern was proven right. People don't love their console they hate others. Why would you make excuses for a 4k console running a game at 1080p but attack a 1080p console that runs a game that occasionally drops to 540p? Also noting that console is at least $100 cheaper and has more games running on it at 120fps? Such an odd very selective outrage. Holding the cheapest device to the highest standards is weird.

You think the XSS is overpriced? Name a console/PC that outperforms it for LESS money. Just one. Name the games that were 'held back' because of the XSS. The XSS runs Flight Simulator fantastically and runs Metro WITH raytracing at 60fps. The system is performing outstandingly for a system at this price point. It is designed for casual gamers and it is meeting that requirement in spades. Maybe you should ask for more for your money if more expensive devices lack the features the 'bad' device has.

It has more because of MS BC solution.

That console you can't stop TROLLING has current/cross gen examples of 120 fps games that xss doesn't.

At this rate xss won't fare well as this generation progresses.

Edit: oh and I also have a xss but it's for my young nephew.... not for serious play.
You too seem to be making excuses. Why not accept the XSS is doing things more expensive consoles lack and demand more for your dollar. There is no reason the cheapest box is offering features and 120fps games more expensive devices don't have. If you accept less you'll get less. The XSS is the least of your worries especially when it actually starts getting its full feature set used. It already isn't the weakest platform to develop on so your concerns are unwarranted.

Your serious play comment is funny. The XSS was never marketed as offering the best for serious players it was marketed as a low cost entry into this console generation and its doing that job quite well. Maybe that's the problem, people are simply confused.

Wow time and time again Concern Concern Concern Concern was proven right. People don't love their console they hate others.
You say this then go on on your own tirade about "the other consoles".... Don't project, I play games on the hardware I have and pick the hardware because it has the games I want (I also have some standards for performance, hence the disappointment with the series S). I'm about as much of a hardware whore as they come, for both consoles AND PC, but I also don't buy just to buy stuff.

This is a valid opinion to think that giving your friends the advice to buy the series S is bad advice, you can disagree and try to rationalize it all you want.

AnotherOne

it's hard to actually conclude anything from this in terms of predicting performance of the final game.

just remember how Gears 4 looked and ran in beta vs the final game

betamnjc6.png

finaleskgx.png

if you run an ACTUAL beta, not a glorified demo, then you have to expect significant changes in the final version.
Beta looked like days gone

You say this then go on on your own tirade about "the other consoles".... Don't project, I play games on the hardware I have and pick the hardware because it has the games I want (I also have some standards for performance, hence the disappointment with the series S). I'm about as much of a hardware whore as they come, for both consoles AND PC, but I also don't buy just to buy stuff.

This is a valid opinion to think that giving your friends the advice to buy the series S is bad advice, you can disagree and try to rationalize it all you want.
Series S is great option for those who tight on budget and play on 1080p screens. 120option is for high end machines and enthusiastic gamers.

Lows of 540p in 120fps for Series S. Ouch.

Glad I've got the tower of power to play this on.
I honestly was not expecting that. That is lower than Xbox One S...

Expected it to push 4x the framerate easily at One S resolution. I mean it's even using VRS on top.
So the Series S version drops to 900p at 60fps, and 540p 120fps. Damn.
Dam thought we were done with 900p, guess not, are xbox fans still saying xss is not going hold back next gen, if xss is struggling now, imagine in 3 years time lol.
Series S, please kill it out of mercy MS. It’s not even a year in, imagine 4 years down the track.
I Dont Arrested Development GIF

S0ULZB0URNE

Wow time and time again Concern Concern was proven right. People don't love their console they hate others. Why would you make excuses for a 4k console running a game at 1080p but attack a 1080p console that runs a game that occasionally drops to 540p? Also noting that console is at least $100 cheaper and has more games running on it at 120fps? Such an odd very selective outrage. Holding the cheapest device to the highest standards is weird.

You think the XSS is overpriced? Name a console/PC that outperforms it for LESS money. Just one. Name the games that were 'held back' because of the XSS. The XSS runs Flight Simulator fantastically and runs Metro WITH raytracing at 60fps. The system is performing outstandingly for a system at this price point. It is designed for casual gamers and it is meeting that requirement in spades. Maybe you should ask for more for your money if more expensive devices lack the features the 'bad' device has.

You too seem to be making excuses. Why not accept the XSS is doing things more expensive consoles lack and demand more for your dollar. There is no reason the cheapest box is offering features and 120fps games more expensive devices don't have. If you accept less you'll get less. The XSS is the least of your worries especially when it actually starts getting its full feature set used. It already isn't the weakest platform to develop on so your concerns are unwarranted.

Your serious play comment is funny. The XSS was never marketed as offering the best for serious players it was marketed as a low cost entry into this console generation and its doing that job quite well. Maybe that's the problem, people are simply confused.
Excuses? xss runs less CURRENT gen 120 fps than PS5.
xss runs more last gen games @ 120 fps due to better BC from MS.
xss struggles with current gen games and it will only get worse.
It's really not that hard.

Come on... Even the One X has over 4x the GPU horsepower compared to One S... How do you think One X is able to hit 2160p in RDR2 while the One S is rendering at 864p?

Series S GPU is even more powerful than One X GPU. Ask @SenjutsuSage and his friends Riky Riky DarkMage619 DarkMage619 , if you don't believe me. I'd have maybe agreed with you if the game wasn't tapping into RDNA 2's architectural improvements or its performance-saving feature like VRS, but VGT's analysis does indicate that VRS is in use here, it's also most likely tier 2.

The One X is more than 4 time the raw performances than One S but not the Series S. And I don't really think Halo Infinite is greatly using the RDNA2 improvements, when it remains a cross gen game. And finally in pure framerate, RDNA2 per tflops is "only" around 25% more efficient than GCN...
I'm more a green guy than blue, but honestly saying that in GPU pure performances One x > Series S is wrong and that's obvious. The One X GPU provide 50% more in raw performances and same for the memory bandwidth, such gap cannot be compensated by the architectural improvements. And the new "functionnality" offered by the I/O part for example just give the possibility to use the global hardware architecture of the Series consoles differently than it was the case with previous gen. With a cross gen game not built around this new hardware architecture, the series can use some tweak such as VRS (which give around 5/10% more FPS in many) but can't beat the One X, I'm pretty sure at 30 fps Halo would have run at lower resolution than One X.

Nah buy series s. It's a good advice.

If something happened to mine, I will just replace it. 1080p/60fps is all I want and it delivers.

I was expecting a mid gen upgrade, but after using it extensively, I will stick to it. And will upgrade my monitor to one of nicer 1080p screens.

Just make sure you use it with 1080p screen. If you have 4k screen get the x.

Gediminas

Banned
Why do you neglect $400 PS5 digital edition?

It's the reason why PS5 has 10 tf and RDNA 1.5.

Sony decided to gimp both their systems to hit $400.

MS has superior approach with 2 different systems where nothing holds other back.
400$ 10tf and RDNA 1.5 PS5 performs better on majority of games against xbox sx(500$, RDNA 2, 12TF). not a bad of the gimp 🤡 🤡 🤡

Last edited:

Md Ray

Why do you neglect $400 PS5 digital edition?

It's the reason why PS5 has 10 tf and RDNA 1.5.

Sony decided to gimp both their systems to hit $400.

MS has superior approach with 2 different systems where nothing holds other back.
Don't make me laugh. PS5 DE here is like Rs. 5k (roughly ~$65) more than Series S. What a terrible value for money SS is, not only does it have unstable perf compared to PS5 in many games you also get severely pared back res/visuals. From a tech standpoint, PS5 DE offers twice the resolution/framerate, w/ better graphics in current-gen games, doesn't miss out on ray tracing features from games like Control, DOOM Eternal like the Series S does. Going forward that "RDNA 1.5" console will have more games with ray tracing (an RDNA 2 feature) and more 120fps games than SS because it doesn't have gimped memory and bandwidth like the S.

Last edited:

Redlight

Excuses? xss runs less CURRENT gen 120 fps than PS5.
xss runs more last gen games @ 120 fps due to better BC from MS.
xss struggles with current gen games and it will only get worse.
It's really not that hard.
Oh no, the budget console designed for budget conscious gamers doesn't run everything at 120fps?
I know I'm concerned and the budget gamers will be too.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Oh no, the budget console designed for budget conscious gamers doesn't run everything at 120fps?
I know I'm concerned and the budget gamers will be too.
He claims it would do everything that the current gen consoles do at a lower resolution.

Honestly, watching that footage I never would have guessed it runs at 720p or 540p on Series S. Then again, all it takes is some tech channel to convice people that it looks like shit. Otherwise they would have believed it's native 1080p.

I have played countless games on Series S, and with the exception of AC Valhalla, none of them looked even remotely bad.
Outsiders apparently runs between 720p and 1080p - most of the time looks even better, thanks to the reconstruction techniques that pushes it to 1440p.

Again, why is there such a hate for Series S, when it's clearly punching above its weight, and no other 300$ hardware come close to it?

Funny thing is, XSX and PS5 are not held to the same standard. Apparently it's okay that some games run at 1080p on these so called 4K consoles, while we are still in the first year of new generation.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Honestly, watching that footage I never would have guessed it runs at 720p or 540p on Series S. Then again, all it takes is some tech channel to convice people that it looks like shit. Otherwise they would have believed it's native 1080p.

I have played countless games on Series S, and with the exception of AC Valhalla, none of them looked even remotely bad.
Outsiders apparently runs between 720p and 1080p - most of the time looks even better, thanks to the reconstruction techniques that pushes it to 1440p.

Again, why is there such a hate for Series S, when it's clearly punching above its weight, and no other 300$ hardware come close to it?

Funny thing is, XSX and PS5 are not held to the same standard. Apparently it's okay that some games run at 1080p on these so called 4K consoles, while we are still in the first year of new generation.
I guess it's the fact that 540p is a very low number of pixels for a console in 2021.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If you've played on Series S and One X then you would take the 120fps mode every single time, it's actually got the highest average framerate and for a multiplayer shooter framerate and input latency is king.
Nobody would chose the 30fps One X version.
If the Series X is only around 1080p on this mode then it's pretty obvious a console about a third as powerful will be lower, there are more powerful consoles today that run games in certain modes less than 1080p but no concern for them.

Top Bottom