• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGtech: Destiny 2 PS5 and Xbox Series X|S 60fps Frame Rate Test

Ps5 has the exact equivalent of vrs and vrs is the most disgusting new pr term I have seen . Makes the dirt5 with vrs look disgusting and blurry in background .I hope sony doesn't use the equivalent one they have .

It's like saying the PS5 is at a severe disadvantage because it doesn't have VRS and then saying the XSX is at a severe disadvantage because it doesn't have cache scrubbers. In the end both systems are doing different things to save on performance.

I guess if anything can be said it's that both seem to be on par with each other based off what we've seen.

This could change in the future but both systems will improve.

Im really struggling to decide which system plays games better. At least it's easy with PC.

While making it $100 cheaper.

To be fair I'm pretty sure they are taking a big hit with the Digital Edition. Microsoft could have done the same with the XSX but they decided on going with a much cheaper SKU (XSS).

Just two different strategies to hit a lower price point. I like Sonys better because the PS5 at 399$ is one heck of a value.

Time?

When you play the four Xbox versions the Series X seems to just be the One X version with slightly higher settings and a 120hz mode.

Well with the latest patch the Series X version has the same settings as the PS5 version.

So will no VRS with the latest patch?

I mean it's a Direct X 12U feature so it should be standard on all platforms. I can understand maybe going with a lower tier if time was a problem but leaving it out?

Seems strange to me.

DirectX_12_Ultimate_02.jpg

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Funny thing got it on my ps5 in hopes one day it will use the controller and I was dam this looks better then on my Xbox. After a lot of trying to figure out why turns out it was my older tv settings...

dcmk7

Banned

Pretty sure has been confirmed elsewhere but with a quick Google found an interview with the technical director over at Codemasters.

"..
These shots are going to look incredible on Series X, its RDNA 2 GPU is going to enable us to turn all the features up to 11..."

Pretty sure has been confirmed elsewhere but with a quick Google found an interview with the technical director over at Codemasters.

"..
These shots are going to look incredible on Series X, its RDNA 2 GPU is going to enable us to turn all the features up to 11..."

It's weird how they said they could turn all features up to 11.

Does this mean they were saying it would have higher settings than the PC version?

Kind of a strange comment to make.

Riky

$MSFT

"..

They then said some of the stuff would be coming later, since VRS didn't come up in any of the comparisons I presume they will implement it when they can, but it's not there now.

They then said some of the stuff would be coming later, since VRS didn't come up in any of the comparisons I presume they will implement it when they can, but it's not there now.

Well NXGamer NXGamer said he saw VRS in his comparison. But that's the only one that mentioned it. They could be using a good implementation of it that's much harder to detect.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It's weird how they said they could turn all features up to 11.

Does this mean they were saying it would have higher settings than the PC version?

Kind of a strange comment to make.
It's also weird how heavily they marketed ray-tracing shadow with AMD for their RDNA 2 graphics cards but it's completely absent on RDNA 2 consoles that support hardware-accelerated RT.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never played any destiny.
it would be miserable single player... right ?
And no way to center crosshair (on pc) ?

I know he is.

VRS does not remove scenery, doesn't affect texture filtering etc. You can see this clearly on Gears 5 and Gears Tactics which use Tier one and two VRS.

So is VRS the next CELL on the XSX?

Doesn't make sense how they had all this extra time and they still couldn't get it to work on the XSX.

You make it seem like it's going to be difficult for developers to use on the XSX. Especially with these developers since they said they loved the GDK.

Riky

$MSFT
So is VRS the next CELL on the XSX?

Doesn't make sense how they had all this extra time and they still couldn't get it to work on the XSX.

You make it seem like it's going to be difficult for developers to use on the XSX. Especially with these developers since they said they loved the GDK.

I haven't said anything like that, at all. It obviously wasn't a part of last gen engines because the hardware didn't exist, all the games so far are last gen engines.

I presume Codemasters having eight different versions of Dirt 5 and trying to get it ready for launch with working from home took the easiest route they could, before the day one patch the game was a complete mess and has a had several patches this month to get it stable, now there seems to be problems on PS5.

I haven't said anything like that, at all. It obviously wasn't a part of last gen engines because the hardware didn't exist, all the games so far are last gen engines.

I presume Codemasters having eight different versions of Dirt 5 and trying to get it ready for launch with working from home took the easiest route they could, before the day one patch the game was a complete mess and has a had several patches this month to get it stable, now there seems to be problems on PS5.

But they still managed to add VRS to the PC version using the GDK. And they said they didn't have any issues with the tools.

Were they lying?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If fill rate that all that matters or clock speed and so on and so forth.
Of course it is not all that matters, not sure when PS5 fans stated otherwise. You know... the people that expected an overall 5–to-18% resolution and FPS gap in favour of the XSX, right?

Riky

$MSFT
But they still managed to add VRS to the PC version using the GDK. And they said they didn't have any issues with the tools.

Were they lying?

Looking at the game day one they had plenty of issues, like the huge settings bug on 120hz mode and they still have issues on PS5 today.

dcmk7

Banned

Codemasters worked closely with AMD to implement RDNA2 features into Dirt 5.

A quick Google will clear up everything up for you.

Jtibh

Banned
All these head to heads are a joke.

Fuck cross gen

Lets do vs thread with next gen only titles.

Oh there is none?

Switch it is then

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Of course it is not all that matters, not sure when PS5 fans stated otherwise. You know... the people that expected an overall 5–to-18% resolution and FPS gap in favour of the XSX, right?
Ps5 didn't state it, people on here did and so like I said earlier according to some experts on here TFs don't matter, other things do that Ps5 has advantages in so I expect Ps5 to be better. So parity for SX iis good. Just cause TF got headlines doesn't mean it more powerful, and i learned that of here and Nxgamer.:)

For now it won't be that interesting. As SDK is being fixed the last gen games will have superficial differences. Probably higher resolution or framerate on XSX.
It will be more interesting when the next gen only games will start to roll out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ps5 didn't state it, people on here did and so like I said earlier according to some experts on here TFs don't matter, other things do that Ps5 has advantages in so I expect Ps5 to be better. So parity for SX iis good. Just cause TF got headlines doesn't mean it more powerful, and i learned that of here and Nxgamer.:)

No, PS5 fans did not state it. Most PS5 fans said to expect a small gap in favour of XSX resolution and/or FPS wise for third party games: paper difference was 18% in favour of the XSX (TFLOPS wise) tempered by, yes, TFLOPS as a single metric not telling the entire story. So people said “look 2 TFLOPS on its own sounds great but it is 18% difference and it will be offset in part by other differences/issues and the actual gap will be smaller”.

Hardcore Xbox fans said that 18% was the smallest gap in favour one could expect and you would see bigger gaps come launch.

So, which was the correct take? You are making a straw man btw.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
No, PS5 fans did not state it. Most PS5 fans said to expect a small gap in favour of XSX resolution and/or FPS wise for third party games: paper difference was 18% (if you count the in favour of XSX tempered by yes TFLOPS as a single metric not telling the entire story.

Hardcore Xbox fans said that 18% was the smallest gap in favour one could expect and you would see bigger gaps come launch.

You are making a straw man.
I didn't say that Ps5 fans said it. And I don't care what Xbox fans said or Ps5 fans said. Its my opinion from posts Ive read on here and the Nxgamer video that Ps5 has advantages over SX and that TFs isn't all that matters.
So do you think TF is all that matters?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I didn't say that Ps5 fans said it. And I don't care what Xbox fans said or Ps5 fans said. Its my opinion from posts Ive read on here and the Nxgamer video that Ps5 has advantages over SX and that TFs isn't all that matters.
So do you think TF is all that matters?
Ok, so you made your opinion based on?

Anyways, I already stated what I believe. The two consoles are very close and I expected XSX to have a small advantage in resolution and/or framerate in third party titles as I expect PS5 to have a small advantage loading times wise and data streaming in third party titles, but overall I expect third party titles to be close.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Ok, so you Made your opinion based on?

Anyways, I already stated what I believe. The two consoles are very close and I expected XSX to have a small advantage in resolution and/or framerate in third party titles as I expect PS5 to have a small advantage loading times wise and data streaming in third party titles, but overall I expect third party titles to be close.
I've already said what I have based my opinion on in our little conversation and I didn't know what you believed I can't read everyone's opinion.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Read the OP, the scenes are not exactly like for like, so resolution differences and even framerate will differ across the board per scene, it depends on the load. In the overall scheme of things, average framerate tells a better picture in non like for like scenes where PS5 has the edge.

It's very likely that Series X would fall lower than PS5 in the scenes where PS5 is dropping rez...
So basically you are saying not to infer much from the video because of slight differences in scenes.

Then you proceed to tell people they should infer the opposite because... of reasons.

At least they had some data to back up their claims.

thelastword

Banned
GAF when the Series X PS5 power gap was revealed;

‘a 5% swing in performance is completely irrelevant to the end user’

GAF when the PS5 has a 2 frame advantage over the Series X in one scene;

alejandro jodorowsky party GIF by Endless Poetry
GAF when the XBOX Series X was revealed...

Boom----12TF, True 4K only, 120fps, Hardware RT, Direct ML, VRS, a 40-50fps framerate advantage...

GAF when reality and the real faceoffs emerge

Tools are not yet mature, huge API update incoming, tune your calendars for the impending ladies and gentlemen......In the here and now, better framerate on PS5 on more taxing non like for like scenes on PS5 footage is an XBOX win and a jolly cause for celebration....A far cry from the swooning days, I'd say....

Vtecomega

Banned
Bungie need to be called out for their laziness here. The particle effect, GPU effects, smoke and most other effects have been dialled down to low for the next gen systems. Instead of optimising and enhancing them they took the lazy route and turned everything down to low while allowing the systems to brute force to 60fps.

Top Bottom