• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGtech: Destiny 2 PS5 and Xbox Series X|S 60fps Frame Rate Test

AnotherOne

The versions tested were 1.003.000 on PS5 and 0.1.24550.0 on Xbox Series X|S. Default video options were used for this video.
In the scenes tested, the game still seems to usually run at 60fps even when using the higher fov settings.

PS5 and Xbox Series X use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2346x2160 on both consoles. PS5 and Xbox Series X often render at a resolution of 3840x2160, but in the scenes tested, the resolution on PS5 was below 3840x2160 more often than Xbox Series X was.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1536x1080. Drops in resolution below 1920x1080 on Xbox Series S seem to be uncommon.

Performance can vary somewhat and the scenes here aren't exactly like-for-like which should be kept in mind when comparing the performance of the consoles here. All three consoles use lower resolution buffers for certain effects. The real-time cutscenes are letterboxed and run at 30fps

Last edited:

BuffNTuff

Banned
So the summary is that the two have virtually the same frame rate but Xbox series x holds a higher resolution most of the time. No data to back up the resolution claim but the frame chart is about as identical as you can get for non scripted sequence.

So the summary is that the two have virtually the same frame rate but Xbox series x holds a higher resolution most of the time. No data to back up the resolution claim but the frame chart is about as identical as you can get for non scripted sequence.

From the sounds of it the XSX barely wins this one. Heck the two are so close I wouldn't make a purchase decision off the graphical differences between the two. Just my opinion.

BuffNTuff

Banned
From the sounds of it the XSX barely wins this one. Heck the two are so close I wouldn't make a purchase decision off the graphical differences between the two. Just my opinion.

Agreed although I would like to see more data to determine just how quantifiable and impactful the resolution differences are.

I only skimmed through the video and saw.ps5 drop to 57 and xbox drop to 58...basically no difference for that split second blip ain't even Worth worrying about

Agreed although I would like to see more data to determine just how quantifiable and impactful the resolution differences are.

I definitely agree with that. But I think that data is probably more difficult to acquire than just framerate differences.

Still it doesn't sound like there's enough difference to have a significant delta or anything. Certainly not something that your average gamer will be able to see.

Snake00

Everyone thought that the head to heads are going to become enterataining once the consoles are out, but so far it has been a snooze fest. The consoles perform identical to the naked eye.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but definitely a bit boring for people who like some drama.

Fredrik

Everyone thought that the head to heads are going to become enterataining once the consoles are out, but so far it has been a snooze fest. The consoles perform identical to the naked eye.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but definitely a bit boring for people who like some drama.
There has been a ton of drama. But I agree that in the end it’s for nothing. Even the load times has been roughly the same.
What if this generation actually ends up being about the games?

Concern

Only retards thought that lol. It really has just shown which people you should just scroll past their posts. Lots of fake Gaf engineers were exposed.

I fell into the marketing trap. I honestly thought the delta would be much greater between the two (in favor of XSX). But it appears the two are practically identical in these comparisons with each having their own advantages.

I agree these comparisons are kind of boring but I guess that's a good thing because it really doesn't matter which system you buy since the disk versions are priced the same.

Last edited:
Parity will always be a win for PS5.

So much for 12TF Full RDNA2.
Parity? So you’re just going to ignore the part where the series X maintained a higher resolution more often?

I mean I would too, but having been in these discussions for comparison videos, this seems like the shallow kind of detail that a Sony fan would use to declare a win for the PS5.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The versions tested were 1.003.000 on PS5 and 0.1.24550.0 on Xbox Series X|S. Default video options were used for this video.
In the scenes tested, the game still seems to usually run at 60fps even when using the higher fov settings.

PS5 and Xbox Series X use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2346x2160 on both consoles. PS5 and Xbox Series X often render at a resolution of 3840x2160, but in the scenes tested, the resolution on PS5 was below 3840x2160 more often than Xbox Series X was.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1536x1080. Drops in resolution below 1920x1080 on Xbox Series S seem to be uncommon.

Performance can vary somewhat and the scenes here aren't exactly like-for-like which should be kept in mind when comparing the performance of the consoles here. All three consoles use lower resolution buffers for certain effects. The real-time cutscenes are letterboxed and run at 30fps

200.gif

It is a start. I can sense it.
A more powerful GPU holds higher resolution more often. Shock! 🤷‍♀️

Win some, lose some... keeping higher resolution a little bit more often and losing on frame rate a little bit more often (see below)... not the 18% slower at minimum gap that some were boasting about eh ;)?
OlUvNY7.png

Last edited:

BuffNTuff

Banned
PS5 version seems to pop a bit more. Also PS5 is a bit more consistent overall in framerate over Series X.

Out of almost 18000 frames of like 15 minutes of gameplay there is like a 20 frame difference... that’s absolutely nothing and there’s no way anyone could ever get the counts to exactly match 2 out of 18k is well within a margin of error and then some.

It’s such a small difference to say one has a more consistent frame rate than another is stupid simply because the test isn’t constant.

Parity? So you’re just going to ignore the part where the series X maintained a higher resolution more often?

I mean I would too, but having been in these discussions for comparison videos, this seems like the shallow kind of detail that a Sony fan would use to declare a win for the PS5.

What's really shallow is the information on the resolution differences. They didn't give us any real data on them so it's hard to say how much worse the PS5 version is compared to the XSX version.

But I believe it's so close that it doesn't even really matter. Not something you would expect from a system with Full RDNA2 and 2TFs more compute.

But I think it's a good thing that they are so close to each other. Makes either one a great system to buy at their respective price points.

thelastword

Banned
It is a start. I can sense it.
A more powerful GPU holds higher resolution more often. Shock! 🤷‍♀️
Read the OP, the scenes are not exactly like for like, so resolution differences and even framerate will differ across the board per scene, it depends on the load. In the overall scheme of things, average framerate tells a better picture in non like for like scenes where PS5 has the edge.

It's very likely that Series X would fall lower than PS5 in the scenes where PS5 is dropping rez...

On Demand

Banned

Oh please. Higher more often is not consistent. There’s not even any numbers on that. These are random intervals which I’m sure you could find a spot where PS5 gets higher for a bit.

Other than that they perform the same. Pre launch it was so much FUD about 10tf underpowered fake rdna2 vs 12TF full rdna2. And these are the results you want claim SX is better than PS5 at? Which most of the games have looked and performed better on PS5.

Once again, any parity is a win for PS5 after all those months of FUD.

Has any head-to-head been clear and definitive? Haven't they all been like this, with either console within 5 percent or so of the other one?

I ask because when PS5 has gotten a "win" in any of those slim margins, it gets a parade of memes (including a dedicated "performance king meme thread" which, by my count, is the THIRD dedicated meme thread for PS5), but when the XsX gets a close win it doesn't matter.

Gotta keep the same energy both ways, otherwise it's hypocritical, imo anyway.

Also, I am not sure you can say one "pops" more than the other, as that is completely subjective and could be due to the capture, not the actual rendered image.

bit boring for people who like some drama.

Oh, there's been drama. All of the initial analysis threads got over 1k replies each. Drama galore.

Riky

$MSFT
Funny how people are still salty about Full RDNA2😂

I doubt Destiny 2 uses VRS or Mesh Shaders or any of the RDNA2 hardware features since it is a last gen engine, but don't worry it's coming.

Got VRR so will get best resolution and best framerate experience on Series X.

Last edited:
Has any head-to-head been clear and definitive? Haven't they all been like this, with either console within 5 percent or so of the other one?

I ask because when PS5 has gotten a "win" in any of those slim margins, it gets a parade of memes (including a dedicated "performance king meme thread" which, by my count, is the THIRD dedicated meme thread for PS5), but when the XsX gets a close win it doesn't matter.

Gotta keep the same energy both ways, otherwise it's hypocritical, imo anyway.

Also, I am not sure you can say one "pops" more than the other, as that is completely subjective and could be due to the capture, not the actual rendered image.

Oh, there's been drama. All of the initial analysis threads got over 1k replies each. Drama galore.

It was more clear between Pro and One X for example. Even PS4 and Xbox One had some differences that were easy to point out. This time around they are ridiculously close though.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

200.gif

OP was interesting until you decided to post that gif and console war. Whether you’re making fun of the Sony warriors or advocating for Xbox it’s tiresome. You’re better than that.

The game runs very well on both machines to the point that nobody would be unsatisfied with either version. Good on Bungie for optimizing it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It is not really a win for PS5 not in that sense. PS5 fans already expected about 15-18% performance gap in favour of the XSX depending on games pushing certain aspects or not (it is not just based on number of CU’s vs frequency of CU’s as there are other components in the GPU’s which are equal in number across the two consoles and thus only frequency matters... and then you have to take into account other optimisations in each GPU).

Hardcore Xbox fans were the ones boasting for about 8-10 months that 18% (the TFLOPS difference) was the minimum difference that people would see at launch. Seeing a smaller gap between the two consoles is better than what PS5 fans were expecting.

Same thing when the loading times show little difference between the two consoles despite a much much larger I/O HW gap is a victory for XSX of sorts too (luckily for PS5 fans we have first party titles showing off the I/O well on next-generation games).

Last edited:

Fredrik

I fell into the marketing trap. I honestly thought the delta would be much greater between the two (in favor of XSX).
Same here. While I always get everything (and probably would’ve bought the XSX anyway simply because I have Game Pass prepaid until 2022 or whatever) I definitely went day 1 with XSX because of the assumed multiplat advantage.

You live and you learn.

At this point I mostly love XSX because of a surprise - Retroarch! ❤️
The rest would’ve been better on PS5 I think since there you have haptics too, plus Demon’s Souls.

OP was interesting until you decided to post that gif and console war. Whether you’re making fun of the Sony warriors or advocating for Xbox it’s tiresome. You’re better than that.

The game runs very well on both machines to the point that nobody would be unsatisfied with either version. Good on Bungie for optimizing it.

I honestly don't even know what that GIF means anymore. It was used in every comparison that PS5 "won" slightly and now it's being used in a case where XsX "wins" slightly.

Concern

Read the OP, the scenes are not exactly like for like, so resolution differences and even framerate will differ across the board per scene, it depends on the load. In the overall scheme of things, average framerate tells a better picture in non like for like scenes where PS5 has the edge.

It's very likely that Series X would fall lower than PS5 in the scenes where PS5 is dropping rez...

Someone's been watch king trash too long 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Cherrypepsi

Oh please. Higher more often is not consistent. There’s not even any numbers on that. These are random intervals which I’m sure you could find a spot where PS5 gets higher for a bit.

Other than that they perform the same. Pre launch it was so much FUD about 10tf underpowered fake rdna2 vs 12TF full rdna2. And these are the results you want claim SX is better than PS5 at? Which most of the games have looked and performed better on PS5.

Once again, any parity is a win for PS5 after all those months of FUD.
I believe Fortnite performs better on Series X in the 120fps mode when shit is going down towards the end of the game. Seems to be around a 20% delta.

But I have only seen some Fortnite youtubers reporting this. They didnt mention resolution or visuals, but there is a fps counter in the game so it's easy to get some data.

Same here. While I always get everything (and probably would’ve bought the XSX anyway simply because I have Game Pass prepaid until 2022 or whatever) I definitely went day 1 with XSX because of the assumed multiplat advantage.

You live and you learn.

At this point I mostly love XSX because of a surprise - Retroarch! ❤️
The rest would’ve been better on PS5 I think since there you have haptics too, plus Demon’s Souls.

It definitely was weird how Microsoft hyped up power so much and said there would be significant differences between the two platforms. Based off that I thought the XSX would win every comparison by a significant margin. But so far they seem about the same to me.

I'm not sure what happened but someone made a mistake with the marketing.

Riky

$MSFT
Depends if it's just more than marketing or something that will make a real difference. But apparently the PS5 has fake RDNA2 and should perform alot worse due to it. Which isn't happening BTW.

Maybe RDNA2 isn't everything?

What isn't happening? You must have read my post, the only game confirmed to be using VRS is Gears 5 and the new DLC looks and runs amazingly with it. Destiny 2 doesn't use any of the RDNA2 features, so it's irrelevant to bring up RDNA2 in a discussion about it.

I believe Fortnite performs better on Series X in the 120fps mode when shit is going down towards the end of the game. Seems to be around a 20% delta.

But I have only seen some Fortnite youtubers reporting this. They didnt mention resolution or visuals, but there is a fps counter in the game so it's easy to get some data.

First time I'm hearing that. But that's only in one part of the game and not a consistent advantage correct?

Kind of weird how that isn't talked about more.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I honestly don't even know what that GIF means anymore. It was used in every comparison that PS5 "won" slightly and now it's being used in a case where XsX "wins" slightly.
A lame “gotcha” to advance their side of the war. Seems like Xbox folks are using it to get back at the PS crowd. It’s all tiring. We have the specs and should know what the power situation is. Tests like this are valuable to gauge optimization and see what devs are doing to maximize the hardware on each machine. Interesting to enthusiasts like us but not something to use as ammo in a console war. Thankfully people make their purchasing decisions based on price, library, and features; not console war ammo on forums.

Genx3

It definitely was weird how Microsoft hyped up power so much and said there would be significant differences between the two platforms. Based off that I thought the XSX would win every comparison by a significant margin. But so far they seem about the same to me.

I'm not sure what happened but someone made a mistake with the marketing.
Or maybe devs haven't taken advantage of the XSX HW yet.
Crazy how many people are jumping to conclusions based on unoptimized launch games and cross gen games.

Top Bottom