• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Battlefield 2042 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

S0ULZB0URNE

Slighty higher resolution on average on XSX (between 8% and 17% higher) and slighty better framerate stats on PS5 notably with the higher low.

PS5 XSX
Mean Frame Rate 59.16fps 59.01fps
Minimum Frame Rate 50fps 47fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate 55fps 55fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate 52fps 51fps

But there are big random stutters (0fps) on XSX not included in those stats:
oSEV4wZ.png
PS5 wins this one

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If we ever see true next gen games, I think the series x will really start to shine but the ps5 will always be close behind. That wider gpu will pay off in resolution etc but the faster gpu in ps5 may see the ps5 always show a lower Bound framerate advantage over the series x.
Wider rdna 2.0 GPUs don’t have many issues scaling performance though. A 72 CU 6800 xt 20 tflops gpu scales linearly with the 6600xt or 6700xt. I think in cases like this, you have to wonder what’s causing the xsx to underperform.

That said, aside from the random 0 FPS bugs I think the xsx enjoys an 8-16% resolution advantage with is in line with the tflops difference. It’s just not consistent which is probably due to the ps5 gpu’s higher clocks advantage.

Regardless both consoles are $499 so xsx losing some face offs isn’t a death sentence. They only ones getting hurt are people who pretended the 18% tflops difference would manifest in a 1440p to 4K difference. And those guys were always those 8 tflops github truthers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Depends. People who want the best console version win if they buy the PS5 version.
And then it all changes after a patch or two. This gen is like being a winner for a month or so then having the title potentially ripped away from you due to whatever reason.

They only ones getting hurt are people who pretended the 18% tflops difference would manifest in a 1440p to 4K difference. And those guys were always those 8 tflops github truthers.

What's funny is that's the situation between the Series X and Series S. Assuming that was true for Sony it would be a disaster for a 399$/499$ console to be on par with a 299$ one. This generation would play out quite a bit differently if the most sold PS5 (499$) was on par with a 299$ system.

I'm pretty happy that most of those negative rumors didn't come true. I was definitely worried about the PS5 when those rumors came out.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Wider rdna 2.0 GPUs don’t have many issues scaling performance though. A 72 CU 6800 xt 20 tflops gpu scales linearly with the 6600xt or 6700xt. I think in cases like this, you have to wonder what’s causing the xsx to underperform.

That said, aside from the random 0 FPS bugs I think the xsx enjoys an 8-16% resolution advantage with is in line with the tflops difference. It’s just not consistent which is probably due to the ps5 gpu’s higher clocks advantage.

Regardless both consoles are $499 so xsx losing some face offs isn’t a death sentence. They only ones getting hurt are people who pretended the 18% tflops difference would manifest in a 1440p to 4K difference. And those guys were always those 8 tflops github truthers.
Which one of those RDNA2 PC GPUs have 13 CUs per shader array and run at ~1800 Mhz max? XSX runs at 8-16% higher resolutions at 'specific points' not that it has fixed or consistent advantage over PS5 in this regard. In majority of time both versions are have the same resolution. As to being 'inline', there is no law saying 1% more teraflops=1% more resolution, it's not that simple. By the way 'even if' XSX had a consistent ~12% (average of 8-16%) resolution advantage over PS5 (it has not) that would not be 'inline' with the theoretical teraflop difference which is 18%.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Which one of those RDNA2 PC GPUs have 13 CUs per shader array and run at ~1800 Mhz max? XSX runs at 8-16% higher resolutions at 'specific points' not that it has fixed or consistent advantage over PS5 in this regard. In majority of time both versions are have the same resolution. As to being 'inline', there is no law saying 1% more teraflops=1% more resolution, it's not that simple. By the way 'even if' XSX had a consistent ~12% (average of 8-16%) resolution advantage over PS5 (it has not) that would not be 'inline' with the theoretical teraflop difference which is 18%.

i thought it was a fixed advantage, when stress on the engine is too much and the drs kicks in the exact scenes are higher on Xbox, ps5 drops more to sustain framerate?
ah I get you, most of the time it’s sticking to 4k?

Riky

$MSFT
i thought it was a fixed advantage, when stress on the engine is too much and the drs kicks in the exact scenes are higher on Xbox, ps5 drops more to sustain framerate?
ah I get you, most of the time it’s sticking to 4k?

Basically when the console gets pushed and the DRS kicks in you bigger resolution drops on the PS5 as it tries to maintain 60fps, this can range with the stats shown from 400,000 to a Million pixels in a scene. It's in line with what you expect from a smaller GPU.

Top Bottom