• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Battlefield 2042 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

Great Hair

Banned
iu
Giggle Smile GIF

"What if we contact EA, Activision and ask them politely to butcher their game&release, so that our game has a chance!"
something GIF
]

Lysandros

As someone who plays the game on both PS5 and Series X, the game runs noticeably worse on the Series X. Texture pop ins, frame drops to almost stills, and to my eyes it looks worse than the PS5 version overall.

I'm playing on a CX.

Just my two cents
Interesting, some other users also reported a sharper picture on PS5. Maybe XSX version uses VRS, or the fidelity of reconstruction technique is higher on PS5. I think we need a more in-depth analysis on this.

Edit: On second viewing, there seem to be a lack of texture detail/crispness sometimes on XSX compared to PS5, can it be anisotropic filtering?

Last edited:

MikeM

I prefer it on PS5 but my friends play on Series X. The lack of a voice feature at launch sucked. I tried to make it work by using my phone with the xbox app but then I was unable to use my headset for sound.
There is cross play though, correct? Also, is it true there is no usage of the adjustable triggers?

kyoji

Why are all these series x multiplat games releasing ‘buggy’? Is ps5 punching above weight? Wasnt there suppose to be some tools or something to prevent this on series? Seems like a trend and not just a fluke at this point.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Why are all these series x multiplat games releasing ‘buggy’? Is ps5 punching above weight? Wasnt there suppose to be some tools or something to prevent this on series? Seems like a trend and not just a fluke at this point.
Plain and simple, fanboys who develop games prefer the PS5 over the Series X. I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that a console that is more powerful than the PS5 can perform so less than the PS5. Plain and simple. This happened last-gen too but no one wants to talk about it.

SAMZ

Who asked for 128 players clusterfuck skyrim level running simulator maps.

Not sure about everyone else but speaking for myself. Give me smaller player count to allow 120fps, game modes and a map so my ingame soldier doesn't die from leg cramps.

kyoji

Plain and simple, fanboys who develop games prefer the PS5 over the Series X. I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that a console that is more powerful than the PS5 can perform so less than the PS5. Plain and simple. This happened last-gen too but no one wants to talk about it.
I dont understand, are you saying dice gimped the series version on purpose? Thats alot of fanboys from various developers then, i always wondered why the eats monsters for breakfast slogan was dropped shortly after launch last year, it seems this gulf people dreamed of just doesnt exist though. At one point do these findings stop being a trend ? As onq said perhaps its because the devs are working from home, cant utitlize the tools properly.

Derktron

Banned
I dont understand, are you saying dice gimped the series version on purpose? Thats alot of fanboys from various developers then, i always wondered why the eats monsters for breakfast slogan was dropped shortly after launch last year, it seems this gulf people dreamed of just doesnt exist though. At one point do these findings stop being a trend ? As onq said perhaps its because the devs are working from home, cant utitlize the tools properly.
Blah, blah. Typical wannabe expert of Neogaf. I said what I said. DO not care about anyone else wannabe expert comment
Regular Season Wtf GIF by NBA

Mr Moose

Interesting, some other users also reported a sharper picture on PS5. Maybe XSX version uses VRS, or the fidelity of reconstruction technique is higher on PS5. I think we need a more in-depth analysis on this.

Edit: On second viewing, there seem to be a lack of texture detail/crispness sometimes on XSX compared to PS5, can it be anisotropic filtering?
No idea about the AF and stuff, but did they fix this from the beta?
Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If we ever see true next gen games, I think the series x will really start to shine but the ps5 will always be close behind. That wider gpu will pay off in resolution etc but the faster gpu in ps5 may see the ps5 always show a lower Bound framerate advantage over the series x.

If we ever see true next gen games, I think the series x will really start to shine but the ps5 will always be close behind. That wider gpu will pay off in resolution etc but the faster gpu in ps5 may see the ps5 always show a lower Bound framerate advantage over the series x.

Well I think both consoles will be capable of amazing looking games. Sure the XSX should be ahead but not massively so. Like you said they will be pretty close with the PS5 taking some rare wins where the engines like it's hardware better.

I think the only losers here are those that expect one system to be far behind the other. It just isn't possible given the specs and the other things that we know about them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well I think both consoles will be capable of amazing looking games. Sure the XSX should be ahead but not massively so. Like you said they will be pretty close with the PS5 taking some rare wins where the engines like it's hardware better.

I think the only losers here are those that expect one system to be far behind the other. It just isn't possible given the specs and the other things that we know about them.
Completely agree. Hopefully we see some games soon that really push these boxes.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As someone who plays the game on both PS5 and Series X, the game runs noticeably worse on the Series X. Texture pop ins, frame drops to almost stills, and to my eyes it looks worse than the PS5 version overall.

I'm playing on a CX.

Just my two cents
I only played the 10 hour trial on both can totally agree with you the PS5 version was quite a bit better.

Anytime a game is close on both consoles I will usually side for the Series X with VRR but this one wasnt really that close the PS5 version is noticeably superior

assurdum

Banned
Pushing more pixels with the same framerate again, having a bigger GPU will almost always produce these results. Compute heavy next gen engines will make this more obvious in future.
The funny thing is ps5 appears sharper though lower resolution looking at some shots. Maybe because it's CBR anyway it's laughable read all those praises about the magnificent compute heavy advantage when you need to check the native pixels counts to spot such difference in resolution, at least in most of the games.

Last edited:

Rivet

I only played the 10 hour trial on both can totally agree with you the PS5 version was quite a bit better.

Anytime a game is close on both consoles I will usually side for the Series X with VRR but this one wasnt really that close the PS5 version is noticeably superior

Ok so that's 2 people having played both versions who agree PS5 version runs and looks better. Just don't expect DF to tell us I guess.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I also played on both but unlike the others I didn’t notice too much of a difference but I do play them on different screens. PS5 on LGC9 XSX on LG monitor.

Xsx will most definitely not jump ahead with next gen games as MS model is to support Xbox One and Series S as well as Series X, this is widely known.

MonarchJT

Banned
Ok so that's 2 people having played both versions who agree PS5 version runs and looks better. Just don't expect DF to tell us I guess.

SX version run little better ....cmon now with spinning the reality ...and there are ppl tell who saying the opposite here too.

The stutter is in both games I’ve noticed over the last week or so…I think it’s network related rather than graphical

I did think the series x version looked and ran better from playing both versions….this just confirms it

love my lg oled :)

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
The funny thing is ps5 appears sharper though lower resolution looking at some shots. Maybe because it's CBR anyway it's laughable read all those praises about the magnificent compute heavy advantage when you need to check the native pixels counts to spot such difference in resolution, at least in most of the games.
I'm sure that everyone can take your word as unbiased

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Wait so saying that a game is more optimized for Xbox Series consoles is shitting on Xbox but it's ok to say it any time a game runs better on PS5?

Strange
is possibile to say it if the game run 60% better on Sx than PS5 that would ave absolutely a game not optimized on ps5....but here run from 8 to 17% at higher res is a margin of difference which is probably the objective hw difference of consoles. You will understand for yourself that when the opposite happens it makes people turn up their noses, always considering the hardware difference and that the x series GPU is objectively a little more powerful

Last edited:

Rivet

is possibile to say it if the game run 60% better on Sx than PS5....but here run from 8 to 17% at higher res is a margin of difference which is probably the objective hw difference of consoles. You will understand for yourself that when the opposite happens it makes people turn up their noses, always considering the hardware difference and that the x series GPU is objectively a little more powerful

And for the 100th time, no it's not more powerful. It's better at some tasks, worse at others. Hence half of the games running better on PS5 like we just saw on Elden Ring.

What you heard about "teraflops" was just MS marketing, let's not start again about that. Multiple devs already explained all that.

EDMIX

Young And Restless Yes GIF by CBS

For everyone else in disbelief...
pepe.jpg

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copium meme always delivers! lol

I don't even get whats to doubt, BF 2042 has so many fucking issues, it running better on PS5 vs XB Series X might literally be based on them having issues with Series X, they are having issues in general. I do believe such things have there place, but this games issues make it hard to even understand much of whats going on.

Inviusx

I will admit that I'm surprised and impressed by how well the game runs on PS5. Even on Breakthrough with 128 players in one area, explosions and hijinks all over the screen and even a tornado tearing through the map and it holds up really well.

This will be controversial but I think it might be one of the best technical achievements of current gen. What else offers action at this scale while holding so well to 60fps?

MonarchJT

Banned
And for the 100th time, no it's not more powerful. It's better at some tasks, worse at others. Hence half of the games running better on PS5 like we just saw on Elden Ring.

What you heard about "teraflops" was just MS marketing, let's not start again about that. Multiple devs already explained all that.
Stop it already no no and no... one day you will accept it . the sx GPU is stronger the CPU is faster and with double the fpu the most of memory is faster. everyone including dev you are talking about... if you ask directly which console is more powerful they will say that the series x is, albeit slightly otherwise they would be simply liars. obvious that the teraflops are not the end of the carousel. everyone knows this. But the PS5's teraflop deficit cannot be bridged completely by its frequency so we have multiple games running at higher resolution higher and pretty much same framerate as sx. The PS5 certainly has its direct advantages but no in any known universe is it more powerful than the x series. Period if you continue i report you for fud. Don't take us back 1 year with this one discussion. Let's stay on topic

Last edited:

onQ123

is possibile to say it if the game run 60% better on Sx than PS5 that would ave absolutely a game not optimized on ps5....but here run from 8 to 17% at higher res is a margin of difference which is probably the objective hw difference of consoles. You will understand for yourself that when the opposite happens it makes people turn up their noses, always considering the hardware difference and that the x series GPU is objectively a little more powerful
PS5 GPU is faster at Geometry & Rasterizing with faster internal bandwidth these things can also put PS5 ahead in some games people who are shocked when PS5 come out on top don't know much about the full specs & just stuck on the GPU FLOPS

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 confirmed what GoldLordPaddock said. I trust him.
Just for me personally I thought something was wrong with my game so even redownloaded it on the Series X and for me it was a mess on the Series X.

Whenever possible I usually pick Xbox versions of games because I prefer the controller and having VRR but in my experience it wasn't that close

For me the PS5 version was superior

Rivet

Stop it already no no and no... one day you will accept it . the sx GPU is stronger the CPU is faster and with double the fpu the most of memory is faster. everyone including dev you are talking about... if you ask directly which console is more powerful they will say that the series x is, albeit slightly otherwise they would be simply liars. obvious that the teraflops are not the end of the carousel. everyone knows this. But the PS5's teraflop deficit cannot be bridged completely by its frequency so we have multiple games running at higher resolution higher and pretty much same framerate as sx. The PS5 certainly has its direct advantages but no in any known universe is it more powerful than the x series. Period if you continue i report you for fud. Don't take us back 1 year with this one discussion

No, that's not the way it works. I work in IT (security). Nobody ever uses teraflops, it's a meaningless number (peak theorical number of floating point operations per second...) unless two platforms have identical architecture. Here, there are tons of customizations both in hardware and software on both platforms (custom geometry engine, custom I/O, different APIs...). You can't know which one is more powerful unless you wait for a few years and look at the results. Until now, it looks roughly equal.

There are hundreds of parameters which make a game run better on a platform or another... Really, you can't know... Those are not PCs.

That's a silly thing to fight for anyway, because even if Series X was slightly more powerful, the best looking games would probably be on the platform where the devs don't have to make multiple versions... Xbox games will have to run on every PC, Series S, Series X... It's unlikely they'll be able to match talented devs working and optimizing on a single platform... PS5 full next gen exclusives should be where the best graphics are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom