• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: A Plague Tale Innocence PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Arioco

PS5 and Xbox Series X both render at a native resolution of 2560x1440. PS5 and Xbox Series X render the UI at 3840x2160. Xbox Series S renders at a native resolution of 1600x900 and uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution. PS5 and Xbox Series X have some graphical improvements over the Xbox Series S such as higher quality shadows and an improved draw distance.

Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1KE29oB248ieVWqEYTA7QHGARK885pR6RH4Gfw2E6y6Y/htmlview

Kholinar

Banned
Virtually locked performance for both. Series X maintains 60fps slightly better than PS5 but has a minimum framerate drop to 48fps vs 53fps for PS5. PS5 also suffers more tearing than Series X.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

- Same resolution
- lower frame rate and more torn frames on PS5
- 3% of total frames torn for PS5 vs 0.03% on XSX (100 times as many)

Looks like we have the answer to the « what if both consoles render at the same resolution? » question, as well as another expected clear winner.

Banjo64

cumsessed
- Same resolution

Looks like we have the answer to the « what if both consoles render at the same resolution? » question, as well as another expected clear winner.
781299.jpg

elliot5

I finished it on xsx recently and hardly noticed any tearing so this makes sense to me. I think I saw it happen once. I also didn't notice that drop to 48 in that one cutscene and I don't have VRR. I guess bc it's a cutscene it wasn't that noticable

Elios83

- Same resolution

Lol the minimum frame rate happens on XSX.
53 fps on PS5 and 48fps on XSX.
Average is 59.59 on PS5 and 59.66 on XSX, so identical.
So either you're trolling or you're living in your world.

Btw I've tried it and the image looks a bit blurry, they could have done a better job but it's a free upgrade afterall.

AnotherOne

Lol the minimum frame rate happens on XSX.
53 fps on PS5 and 48fps on XSX.
Average is 59.59 on PS5 and 59.66 on XSX, so identical.
So either you're trolling or you're living in your world.

Btw I've tried it and the image looks a bit blurry, they could have done a better job but it's a free upgrade afterall.
That drops in cutscenes, I don't see xsx dropping frames during gameplay like ps5 does.

Chukhopops

Average is pretty much the same.
You're discussing about nothing as always in these threads.
The two versions are identical for every sane person.
Ah yes, but youre forgetting ps5 has 100x more torn frames. Thats basically 100x worse.
/s
I assure you you will notice 3% of total frames torn, it’s a lot. But feel free to say the two versions are identical despite numbers showing otherwise, I’m not trying to convince you in particular.

Great Hair

Banned
Looking at the frame stats, it's another game where PS5 would immensely profit from VRR. Hope that update comes soon.

You are right. It definitely needs VRR asap.
YSh8Qed.png

wax GIF

edit: rememba now why i couldnt not get into ... i find her voice annoying af.

super dated and mediocre seems like an unfair stretch... it's a beautiful game
APlagueTaleInnocence_x64-2019-05-05-04-36-37-361.jpg
Fun Food GIF by Guava Juice

Last edited:

Md Ray

Lots of tearing in that PS5 chart, Series S has VRR so will have a better ride even with that version. Another one for Series X.
What if someone has PS5 and XSS, but no VRR display? Which version should they get? 🤔

JackMcGunns

Virtually locked performance for both. Series X maintains 60fps slightly better than PS5 but has a minimum framerate drop to 48fps vs 53fps for PS5. PS5 also suffers more tearing than Series X.

You had to find a silver lining eh? It suffers more tearing because it can't maintain the framerate as well as Xbox Series X. That minimum framerate drop is based on the footage captured for the test, the average is what you need to look at. You don't play a 20 hour game with smooth framerate and say, OH LOOK, 1 second where it dropped lower, I rather play this other version with constant drops for 20 hours to save me from that one 48 vs 53 lol.

JackMcGunns

If it screen tearing really bothers you, buy a better TV.

I laugh at people in the 120Hz thread saying things like: "To bad most Xbox Series X gamers won't have VRR". This is a 120Hz test, if you're an Xbox Series X gamer who bought a 120Hz HDMI 2.1 capable TV, it's pretty damn certain he was looking for VRR as well since it's a well XSX advertised feature. For 60Hz, yea I would agree, not everyone has VRR, but not everyone has 4K either, but I'm not going to make the argument for a 1440 vs 2160 resolution game and claim that not everyone has a 4K TV, well sucks for them, but these tests are for enthusiasts, everyone else can keep playing PS4 and Xbox One.

Arioco

You are right. It definitely needs VRR asap.
YSh8Qed.png

wax GIF

I genuinely wonder what might be bottlenecking Series X in that particular scenario. Doesn't make much sense that it runs so much worse than PS5 when in other secuescies it runs better.

elliot5

I genuinely wonder what might be bottlenecking Series X in that particular scenario. Doesn't make much sense that it runs so much worse than PS5 when in other secuescies it runs better.
Probably some whack depth of field post processing crippling frame rate

Kholinar

Banned
It's time to grow up and lay off the infantile console warring and insults.
You had to find a silver lining eh? It suffers more tearing because it can't maintain the framerate as well as Xbox Series X. That minimum framerate drop is based on the footage captured for the test, the average is what you need to look at. You don't play a 20 hour game with smooth framerate and say, OH LOOK, 1 second where it dropped lower, I rather play this other version with constant drops for 20 hours to save me from that one 48 vs 53 lol.
Bitch, I clearly said that Series X maintained 60fps better. Are you blind? You need to get Phil's cock out of your ass and stop attacking everyone at the slightest perception of grief against your plastic box. Pathetic Xdrone.

JackMcGunns

PS5 GPU is 22% faster in some aspects (rasterization, pixel fillrate).

A car with extreme tires going up against the same exact same car with a tweaked up engine that added a buttload of HP but with adequate tires, the more powerful car will win every time. Sure the tires help, but only if the tires are not adequate for the amount of HP, adding drag radials to a bone stock Corolla won't make you a dragster lol. Not that the PS5 is a Corolla either, it's a great system, but overall Series X is slightly more powerful, the point is that you don't look at a single aspect when it comes to analyzing a final outcome, frequency is part of the measurement when calculating a theoretical max, and the theoretical max is higher for Series X, in addition to having next gen features added to the GPU that are not present in the PS5, like hardware support for VRS tier 2 and hardware accelerated ML.

Remember the OMG PS4 Pro has 64 Render Output Units and X1X only has 32 :messenger_face_screaming: Fortunately 32 RoPs was adequate for X1X and other "more important factors" like higher CU count, memory bandwidth and overall Teraflops ruled the day, Xbox One X takes the cake for performance all day long even if it only had half the RoPs.

Last edited:
The PS5 seems to be tearing frames pretty much every time it dips in performance. Essentially when it would fall behind it pushes out a unfinished frame to keep the framerate up which is why it’s pushing a lower average framerate but a higher minimum framerate. It’s dropping more often but the frame tearing mitigates how low the drops are.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I finished the game on Series X only yesterday and honestly don't remember any frame drops. It felt like a stable 60 throughout. Had a couple tears only too which was great.

Top Bottom