• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGT] Resident Evil Village DEMO: PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
if you have enough money you can work basically on two version of the game
If that starts happening (farming out S version to other studios) it'll spell a quick death for a console SKU that's already struggling to find a footing.
That said I'm wondering if MS would even allow it - those parity contract-terms aren't just for competing platforms.

Anyway - none of these are a real issue until legacy SKUs are out of the picture, right now it's all 'upgraded current gen' for multiplatform releases, which benefits Series S above all for scaling.

clown GIF by Team Coco

What third-party games were released with RT on PS and without on Xbox? Hint, you're not going to need a lot of paper for this one.

Observer, Devil May Cry 5

MS appears to have a different schedule than Sony as far as showing upcoming work on a new console. MS has never shown much running on a console publicly at e3 of launch year. Typically they have a lot of closed door showings, but Covid took that away this time. The only thing that matters is what actually gets released. Thus, the hubbub about the RT was FUD, obviously if there was a real issue RT would have missed some titles on Xbox.

They had their showing after the Road To PS5. And Phil Spencer felt great after the PS5 showcase. :/ No, it wasn't a FUD at all. It was the issue. They've also announced how they will offer a RT support as free download for Halo Infinite after launch.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
clown GIF by Team Coco

What third-party games were released with RT on PS and without on Xbox? Hint, you're not going to need a lot of paper for this one.

MS appears to have a different schedule than Sony as far as showing upcoming work on a new console. MS has never shown much running on a console publicly at e3 of launch year. Typically they have a lot of closed door showings, but Covid took that away this time. The only thing that matters is what actually gets released. Thus, the hubbub about the RT was FUD, obviously if there was a real issue RT would have missed some titles on Xbox.
Observer?

DaGwaphics

Observer, Devil May Cry 5

Devil May Cry 5 launched with RT on XSX. Actually outperformed the PS5 in that specific mode as well.

I think the RT mode in Observer System Redux did miss the initial launch, but even the XSS has a RT mode in that one now.

I'm not sure what 343i not having Halo ready has to do with anything. Not every new game utilizes RT at all, I'm sure that will continue.

I won't engage on this tangent any further. I've already done enough to derail this thread as it is. My bad.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I noticed that the differences between last gen platforms are greater than the XSX and the PS5. I guess this could be an indication on how much closer the XSX and the PS5 are when compared to the X1 and the PS4. Pretty interesting.
PS4 was around 50% more powerful compared to XboxOne, taking ROPS, main RAM bandwidth and ASYNC compute capabilities into account on top of the teraflop advantage. This isn't remotely similar to XSX/PS5 situation where the machines are near identical in horsepower.

PS4 was around 50% more powerful compared to XboxOne, taking ROPS, main RAM bandwidth and ASYNC compute capabilities into account on top of the teraflop advantage. This isn't remotely similar to XSX/PS5 situation where the machines are near identical in horsepower.
Near identical? Are we ignoring the 2tf advantage? The faster RAM? The locked CPU clocks vs variable? Full RDNA2 support? Similar? Yes, near identical? No.

OneTruth

Banned
15 page about nothing....You play in games or count pixels and fps?? This is fucking sick. PS5/XSX is plastic box with electronics inside. Not love person or God....

Devil May Cry 5 launched with RT on XSX. Actually outperformed the PS5 in that specific mode as well. I think the RT mode in Observer System Redux did miss the initial launch, but even the XSS has a RT mode in that one now.

Of course you don't know that Capcom wanted to launch DMCV on XSeries without RT on both. So, there was an issue with RT. And still is, XSS doesn't have it

Capcom previously stated that Xbox Series X would not ship with ray tracing support, which would be PlayStation 5 only

Same as PS5 outperformed XSX in specific mode as well. Imagine, a weaker console outperforms supposedly a "much" stronger one.
I'm not sure what 343i not having Halo ready has to do with anything. Not every new game utilizes RT at all, I'm sure that will continue.

I won't engage on this tangent any further. I've already done enough to derail this thread as it is. My bad.

It was laughable for a flagship title like Halo wouldn't have an RT at launch back then, but MS, Phil Spencer and Co. touted out loudly about RT, yet PS5 demonstrated it in Spiderman, and even in Ratchet last year. Xbox was mocked rightfully so because of that. EOD.
So, basically PS5 had RT in games with not problem Xbox didn't. So, like i said, it wasn't FUD at all.

assurdum

Banned
Read the question I asked befor you say I was trolling. I asked wasn’t there a parity clause?

I also said I could be wrong on it.

there with your trolling, read what I said first
Come on now. Are you trying to convince me you believed a similar clauses is possible (a parity performance) and you genuinely asking? Really? Of course I'm trolling you the hell of argumentation was it

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Come on now. Are you trying to convince me you believed a similar clauses is possible and you genuinely ask? Of course I'm trolling you the hell of argumentation is it.
I asked a question, your tone was aggressive after it. Reread my post and you will see what it said again.

you jump in with your console warring when I asked a question

assurdum

Banned
I asked a question, your tone was aggressive after it. Reread my post and you will see what it said again.

you jump in with your console warring when I asked a question
So can ask to you why Phil Spencer who hated temporal exclusive so much like them lately? Just a question.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
It was laughable for a flagship title like Halo wouldn't have an RT at launch back then, but MS, Phil Spencer and Co. touted out loudly about RT, yet PS5 demonstrated it in Spiderman, and even in Ratchet last year. Xbox was mocked rightfully so because of that. EOD.
So, basically PS5 had RT in games with not problem Xbox didn't. So, like i said, it wasn't FUD at all.
You do realize, that a massively multiplayer open world shooter is an entirely different beast than an SP experience like Spider Man or Ratchet?

Neither next gen console would be able to check all the boxes here, namely great graphics, great scale, noteworthy RT, 60fps and a resolution you still want to look at........At the end of the day those boxes are just low power AMD SoCs.....

Last edited:
Again it's not alpha relative. It's the compute vantage. Series X can handle a static scene better than ps5 when raytracing is applied because of the higher cu counts. Otherwise ps5 would run equally "bad" on performance mode if the bandwidth is the cause.
That's not necessarily true. Only way to confirm is it framerate was unlocked. Maybe without rt it would drop from 75-65 and since with RT on its drop could be 65-55.

You do realize, that a massively multiplayer open world shooter is an entirely different beast than an SP experience like Spider Man or Ratchet?

You do realize that Insomniac Games managed to remaster first Spider man for PS5, develop Miles Morales for PS4 and PS5 and develop new Ratchet for PS5 from the ground up.... All that in a what, 2 years.
It is 343s problem to have a fucked up development and bad managment

elliot5

You do realize that Insomniac Games managed to remaster first Spider man for PS5, develop Miles Morales for PS4 and PS5 and develop new Ratchet for PS5 from the ground up.... All that in a what, 2 years.
Insomniac is a hella impressive studio and very well managed given the games they had going on for PlayStation and Oculus.

However, do you really think Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, and Ratchet were all finished in 2 years combined?

Ratchet was probably in pre production development since 2017, after the previous wrapped.

HoofHearted

Nobody congratulated Capcom for a decent job optimizing the game for so many platforms .

You mean actually discussing the game, gameplay mechanics, and it's merits???

Blasphemy - that's not what is done here!

Besides - this forum would be completely lost and boring without all of these game "comparison" threads arguing back and forth about < .5fps differences, 800% zoomed mud pits, and never-ending discussions around "supposed" GPU bottlenecks...

And how did we ever live without this guy????

coffinbirth

People like to joke, "the tools" or whatever, but Microsoft delayed production on Xbox Series for a reason...and now those features are about to start making their way into the XDK.
Did no one watch Game Stack this year? The performance gains are going to be substantial.
When can I start my own threads? That would be my first one probably, haha.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
You mean actually discussing the game, gameplay mechanics, and it's merits???

Blasphemy - that's not what is done here!

Besides - this forum would be completely lost and boring without all of these game "comparison" threads arguing back and forth about < .5fps differences, 800% zoomed mud pits, and never-ending discussions around "supposed" GPU bottlenecks...

And how did we ever live without this guy????

gettyimages-61306153210k7l.jpg

elliot5

Nobody congratulated Capcom for a decent job optimizing the game for so many platforms .
Hey man, I did!
People like to joke, "the tools" or whatever, but Microsoft delayed production on Xbox Series for a reason...and now those features are about to start making their way into the XDK.
Did no one watch Game Stack this year? The performance gains are going to be substantial.
When can I start my own threads? That would be my first one probably, haha.
You'll just be met with Cerny video timestamps man, as a heads up.

There were some pretty big differences between the two like one system using DDR3 while the other used GDDR5. Something similar isn't happening this time around which could explain why the two are so close.

Haggard

Banned
That has absolutely nothing to do with your original statement and also changes nothing about the different scales and types of games or the small powerbudget of the consoles.....
If you want to ramble about stuff then at least try to stay consistent.

Last edited:

rnlval

PlatformsPS5 RT OnXbox Series X RT OnXbox Series S RT On
Frame Amounts
Game Frames290922920420189
Video Frames293082930729308
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height216021602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.79ms16.73ms24.19ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms50ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.56fps59.79fps41.33fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps42fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps58fps
Minimum Frame Rate46fps48fps31fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate57fps59fps36fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate54fps54fps34fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms28876 (99.26%)29101 (99.65%)11072 (54.84%)
33.33ms216 (0.74%)103 (0.35%)9115 (45.15%)
50ms0 (0%)0 (0%)2 (0.01%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows

The frame rates are capped to 60 Hz. The proper benchmarking method has frame rates uncapped.

Shmunter

There is still a chance RT may impact the game more severely in parts yet not seen.

May need to play without RT if the final game doesn’t optimise better, with DRS etc.

Can’t be playing at 45fps if it happens often. Need to target performance over rez imho.

I need my favorite console to have the best version!!!!!! 😠
Why wouldn't someone want that? or maybe it's the other way around... people pick the console they expect to perform better in order to play the games as well as they should, pushing their TVs and audio setup as far as possible? Knowing which perform better is something that counts, but as we see with the Switch situation, performance is but one factor and if the library has enough exclusive content then the specs take a back seat.

That being said, so far this gen I have yet to see any reason to call differences minimal at best (slightly smaller drops in some areas aren't meaningful differences as far as I am concerned, neither are 2 less seconds of loading time). a well implemented DRS solution basically makes all these differences even less important as this means that there will be differences mostly during heavy action or GPU stress.

So do what you will, these threads are here to stay and it's pretty easy to ignore them.
The frame rates are capped to 60 Hz. The proper benchmarking method has frame rates uncapped.
A console on a TV can't start a frame rate measuring tool and log the results, they have to show what's going on on the TV. This is not as good to get a good idea of the real performance delta for the hardware, but at the same time it tells us how functionally different they are, which is less accurate--but more useful if you want to know what really impacts you.

Last edited:

Excess

This was probably already said within the 15 pages of "my dick is bigger than yours", but these stats are identical on PS5 and XSX.

The small variations in lower framerates are negligible because they're in the 5th and 1st percentiles. And even in the 1st percentile, they're identical. Granted there's ever-so-slight variations in frame timings, but not only would this be pretty unnoticeable even without VRR, but there's also variation and margin of error within testing to consider.

I'm more interested in the PC benchmarks, as I genuinely feel console benchmarks are a silly way to click-bait you for attention. And seeing as we are 15 pages in, it worked.

That has absolutely nothing to do with your original statement and also changes nothing about the different scales and types of games or the small powerbudget of the consoles.....
If you want to ramble about stuff then at least try to stay consistent.

Just show good managed studio can do wonders since you mentioned Spiderman and Ratchet. Anyway, no need to use exuse scale of a game. 343i has a huge workforce. MS touted loudly about RT, failed to deliver at launch. It is Phil Spencer's problem. And they were mocked rightfully so.

Neither next gen console would be able to check all the boxes here, namely great graphics, great scale, noteworthy RT, 60fps and a resolution you still want to look at........At the end of the day those boxes are just low power AMD SoCs.....

Spiderman Remastered has RT at 60, Miles Morales has RT at 60, open world games with great graphics. Sackboy also has RT at 60fps. So, since you said neither console, well, one console surely delivered RT at launch, and that is PS5.

Stay consistent too.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Just show good managed studio can do wonders since you mentioned Spiderman and Ratchet. Anyway, no need to use exuse scale of a game. 343i has a huge workforce. MS touted loudly about RT, failed to deliver at launch. It is Phil Spencer's problem. And they were mocked rightfully so.
Still very different types of games and scale (hint: technical scale) no matter how often you repeat it.

Spiderman Remastered has RT at 60, Miles Morales has RT at 60, open world games with great graphics. Sackboy also has RT at 60fps.
Still very different types of games and scale (hint: technical scale) no matter how often you repeat it

. So, since you said neither console, well, one console surely delivered RT at launch, and that is PS5.
Maybe you should actually read the whole thing you want to comment on first. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Still very different types of games and scale no matter how often you repeat it.

Still very different types of games and scale no matter how often you repeat it

Maybe you should actually read the whole thing you want to comment on first. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You mentioned : Neither next gen console would be able to check all the boxes here, namely great graphics, great scale, noteworthy RT, 60fps and a resolution you still want to look at.......

Spiderman is a big game, no need to spin it. May you should actually read the whole thing again.

Haggard

Banned
You mentioned : Neither next gen console would be able to check all the boxes here, namely great graphics, great scale, noteworthy RT, 60fps and a resolution you still want to look at.......

Spiderman is a big game, no need to spin it. May you should actually read the whole thing again.
Spiderman is a singleplayer last gen game with a relatively small open world and some shine polished on top of it for the current gen. The technical scale is incomparable to a big flagship MMO.
And, we don`t have to argue about 343 fucking up royally, that much is abundantly clear.

But people like you need to get real about the RT capabilities of those machines...namely very little.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Your just being ridiculous, no need to console war over somebody asking a question
You didn't just asked. There was a continuous ping pong with the two sides about what was better between the two, why they ran like this and so on, it's not a coincidence in the same moment you just asked in such situation. No way a normal person can think such clause in a contract was about to downgrade the other versions. Let's move on.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Full game comparison.

PlatformsPS5 RT OnXbox Series X RT OnXbox Series S RT On
2Frame Amounts
3Game Frames237722434315619
4Video Frames248712487124871
5Frame Tearing Statistics
6Total Torn Frames000
7Lowest Torn Line---
8Frame Height216021602160
9Frame Time Statistics
10Mean Frame Time17.44ms17.03ms26.54ms
11Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
12Maximum Frame Time66.67ms33.33ms50ms
13Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
1495th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
1599th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms33.33ms
16Frame Rate Statistics
17Mean Frame Rate57.35fps58.73fps37.69fps
18Median Frame Rate59fps60fps37fps
19Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps56fps
20Minimum Frame Rate42fps48fps27fps
215th Percentile Frame Rate51fps54fps32fps
221st Percentile Frame Rate48fps50fps30fps
23Frame Time Counts
2416.67ms22676 (95.39%)23815 (97.83%)6380 (40.85%)
2533.33ms1094 (4.6%)528 (2.17%)9226 (59.07%)
2650ms1 (0%)0 (0%)13 (0.08%)
2766.67ms1 (0%)0 (0%)

Last edited:
Top Bottom