• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC's Person of the year: Phil Spencer

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All for giving the man credit when he turns the ship around, but that's yet to happen.

He's pretty smooth in his media relations no doubt, but I really do not see what he's achieved these last few years, and honestly I feel like their next-gen launch has been a huge botch job.

HQVDLCH.jpg

accepting david puttnam GIF by The Academy Awards

Locking a publisher after saying exclusives were bad for the industry doesn't make him trustworthy. LOL

w6XKOfD.jpg

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I disagree, new Microsoft wanted to release it and only a massive backlash got them to delay it because they don't know what they are doing and thought it was good.

It got a massive backlash on its graphics but claiming “they don’t know what they are doing and thought it was good” is a bit much considering Joe Staten who is now on the team said he played through the entire campaign and it’s a full realization of the original vision of Bungie. The delay was solely focused on polish/graphics over gameplay/campaign based on his update.

You are clearly underestimating the idea of a major corporation delaying their next gen release with their new system. That’s not a simple decision.

New Microsoft has had a history of delaying other games too in order to better them. A main one being Psychonauts 2. Its budget was increased and it was delayed so Double Fine could realize their vision. And it’s still a multi platform game (to honor the fact that it started on Fig where it was to be a multi platform game). I believe a main thing being added to that game are bosses whereas before there were none.

When the missing key of games start coming in consistent waves and it’s all available at a Game Pass subscription then the conversation as a whole will change for everyone. Starfield, Avowed, Doom 3, Wolfenstein 3, Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Elder Scrolls VI, Halo Infinite, Forza, Forza Horizon, etc. That’s just the tip of the ice berg too. Many studios have multiple teams working on multiple games, especially when it comes to ZeniMax who also typically only announces games when they’re coming soon. The game issue was solved the moment they started buying studios in 2018 and with the latest purchase of ZeniMax, who was often considered one of the best game publishers. Spencer promised games, and he’s in the midst of delivering them in spades. That has less to do with trying to directly compete with Sony and more to do with giving a reason to subscribe to Game Pass, to the point the value is too much to pass up. Especially in a $70 game world (thanks Jim Ryan for helping to push that).

Which leads to another point... it’ll probably change, but as of now Microsoft has not committed its first party games to the $70 price tag.

Last edited:
There's a lot of receny bias in the article and i think the key takeaway is this:

The award is being given while acknowledgement of the elephant in the room is take into account. When he inherited Microsoft, it was a mess after Mattrick. He was a violinist going down with the Titanic, who suddenly had to take the bridge when the captain life boated.
I love how this narrative is always peddled without anyone ever taking into consideration the fact that Phil was one of the guys with a hand on the wheel that entire time. Xbox First Party? He ran it. Managed all those studios and helped usher in the age of Kinect Kinect Kinect. He and half his current staff were all directly involved in how Xbox came to be in the shape that it was. And the thing is, he still hasn't turned it around. He used the brand to launch an entirely different service, but... First Party games? Still lacking in quality. Their output? Still middling. Their sales? Still meh.

There's a reason Nadella wants to pivot to focusing mostly on this new service and started making purchases and commenting on how it's clear they can't just "build" a high-quality AAA studio (which seems kinda like some harsh shade at their own studios).

Phil didn't turn Xbox around, he just changed what it was. He didn't stop the Titanic from sinking, he just started selling it as a Polar Bear Challenge experience.

Barakov

Gold Member

VGC’S 2020 AWARDS​

Person of the Year: Phil Spencer
Innovation of the Year: Revealed Dec 26
Platform of the Year: Revealed Dec 27
Developer of the Year: Revealed Dec 28
Game of the Year: Revealed Dec 29

I don't see how anyone can see him as nothing more than a snake oil salesman. I have my own issues with Jim Ryan and Sony but they're actually giving people 1st party games. All Spencer and Xbox did was giving people prettier version of games people already played.

MagnesG

Banned
You answered your own question. You cannot call it a "success" based on a few people maybe using it in one country.

In fact, I don't see anyone talking about it.
The infrastructure is just not there though. PS5 has launched "worldwide" but my country still wouldn't get a single system officially, PS5 launch a failure then?

assurdum

Banned
Well one thing is sure, he at least is better than Jim Ryan.
In PR stuff? Oh absolutely. But the continuos bullshit he spreads to his fanbase year over year it's hilarious and it's even more comical all the religious praise around him. But I get it, he has definitely a talent to gain the other praises with his words and this thread proved it again .

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Don't people say "Praise Cerny" all the time? Pretty sure it's even split between the two as far as fandom goes.
What people? The forum people maybe. But in Cerny defence he doesn't speak as much as him with rethoric words blatantly false most of the times. That's something personally I never liked by him probably because remind me too much the politicians class.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Love or hate Phil.
He is the best in the business today. Visionary with the push for GPU, fruits are being born right now.
I would love him for his desires to communicate and bridge the gap between corporation and games. 🤷‍♀️

assurdum

Banned
Love or hate Phil.
He is the best in the business today. Visionary with the push for GPU, fruits are being born right now.
I would love him for his desires to communicate and bridge the gap between corporation and games. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah put more possible CUs and TF in a GPU. No one ever did this before that's magician engineering!!! (though doubt Spencer has any kinda of idea how to design a GPU or straightly involved in any manner).

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Yeah put more possible CUs and TF in a GPU. No one ever did this before that's magician engineering!!! (though doubt Spencer has any kinda of idea how to design a GPU or is straightly involved in any manner).

I meant game pass ultimate :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom