• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Xbox will confirm Bethesda’s Game Pass future this week

Fredrik

if you ask sony to have 100/120 millions 15 € subs at year and stop producing hardware. You would see them immediately close the PlayStation hardware division and sign the contract. ..believe me.
MS won’t have 100/120 mil 15€ /month subs anytime soon. And they’re banking too much on everyone keeping the sub when the prepaid cheap sub ends.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
MS won’t have 100/120 mil 15€ /month subs anytime soon. And they’re banking too much on everyone keeping the sub when the prepaid cheap sub ends.
Firstly I talked about Sony using their brand value to drive subs.
Ms will have less, I think 50/80 million range by the end of the gen

Chessmate

Banned
Jim Ryan is a strange man but so far he’s still better at making the platform he’s in control over seem relevant.

Phil Spencer is a nice bloke, no doubt, but I think he’s too focused at luring people into Gamepass instead of luring people to Xbox. If he could I think he would gladly put Gamepass and Halo Infinite, Fable, Forza Horizon 5, Hellblade 2 on PS5. After all, it dosen’t matter to MS where we play their games as long as we’re playing them, right? And maybe that’s what we all should hope for, no need to buy Xbox anymore, PC+PS5+Switch would get you everything.

Problem with Ryan is: He says what fanboys wanna hear and he does, what his shareholders expect. He's a two-faced, windy manager. His character doesn't really make Playstation a worse plattform, of course. But his decisions do.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Firstly I talked about Sony using their brand value to drive subs.
Ms will have less, I think 50/80 million range by the end of the gen
So what’s your endgame idea here, no consoles and everyone plays on PC and have ”Gamepass” subs for Sony and MS 1st party games?

That’ll never happen. Consoles are needed for those who don’t want or can’t afford a PC. The whole reason the Bethesda acquisition is a hot topic is because most console gamers don’t have a PC and don’t want to buy one.

Question is, will MS willingly hand over the console hardware market to Sony? Or will they put up a fight to make the hardware relevant?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So what’s your endgame idea here, no consoles and everyone plays on PC and have ”Gamepass” subs for Sony and MS 1st party games?

That’ll never happen. Consoles are needed for those who don’t want or can’t afford a PC. The whole reason the Bethesda acquisition is a hot topic is because most console gamers don’t have a PC and don’t want to buy one.

Question is, will MS willingly hand over the console hardware market to Sony? Or will they put up a fight to make the hardware relevant?
Microsoft handing the hardware over to sony is good for nobody. We have great consoles because they are competing with each other. Microsoft want to sell consoles they will do everything they can to sell consoles

MonarchJT

Banned

The end game is a clever system where everything can become part of the bigger final result. Consoles serve but are not actually essential since you still have PC and xcloud (especially if in the next 10 years with 5g streaming will take off), PC they are needed but are not actually essential because you would still have consoles and streaming. etcetera etcetera. The same applies to Gamepass too, since ms is not preventing the sale of individual full price games (physical & Digital) see for example Steam. Having multiple entry devices points and on these having multiple entry prices, from full physical game to digital to sub to streaming this is the end game and I find it ABSOLUTELY winning

Last edited:

Stuart360

This is what people don’t seem to get, you don’t spend 7.5 billion to keep the competition as strong as they are, you spend it to weaken their position
Regardless of what certain fanboys will say about Bethesda games now Microsoft own them, the likes of Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, and DOOM 3 are system sellers, and you would have to question Microsofts long terms strategy if they release those games on PS5.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Regardless of what certain fanboys will say about Bethesda games now Microsoft own them, the likes of Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, and DOOM 3 are system sellers, and you would have to question Microsofts long terms strategy if they release those games on PS5.

The funny thing is when you go back a month or so when the deal was announced a load of Sony fanboys on here were saying the games they produce were trash but now the deal is done there is concern trolling of they gonna be on PlayStation so xbox fans loose out.

i could be wrong but 7.5 billion is a huge investment and you do that to strengthen you own brand not to keep it where it is

Lanrutcon

Competition keeps the industry strong. Sony pushes MS to find ways to compete with amazing exclusives, MS pushes Sony not to get arrogant, and gamers get great games. We should be happy that MS are putting up a fight.

Now if only Nintendo felt any kind of pressure to do more than the bare minimum.

martino

The funny thing is when you go back a month or so when the deal was announced a load of Sony fanboys on here were saying the games they produce were trash but now the deal is done there is concern trolling of they gonna be on PlayStation so xbox fans loose out.

i could be wrong but 7.5 billion is a huge investment and you do that to strengthen you own brand not to keep it where it is
No fan can and want to think about it but isn't a " i give mine you give yours" negotiation impossible ?
If sony is really making its engines supporting pc for later release, adding xbox is not much more.
Isn't timed exclusive enough to get near all fans , people following hype or with fomo problems (so most of early buyer) ?
It seems third party example says so.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No fan can and want to think about it but isn't a " i give mine you give yours" negotiation impossible ?
If sony is really making its engines supporting pc for later release, adding xbox is not much more.
Isn't timed exclusive enough to get near all fans , people following hype or with fomo problems (so most of early buyer) ?
It seems third party example says so.
Can you really see Sony putting PlayStation games on Xbox?

Shmunter

Doom 3 PSVR exclusive coming soon 👍🏻

martino

Can you really see Sony putting PlayStation games on Xbox?
Not soon. But if they see time exclusivity don't hurt them while releasing on pc later....why not ?
Why loose money ? when all you have to loose for it is a small niche of fans with dogmatist thinking from another era.
You don't build future growth and profit with that.

Last edited:
It won't take that long for Microsofts gaming sub business to reach $10bn annually.
Remeber, Bethesda has a subscription service, too.

So $10bn sub revenue and $10bn other gaming revenue all within the next 3 to 4 years.

MonarchJT

Banned
Doom 3 PSVR exclusive coming soon 👍🏻
This comment is so naive/stupid that it looks like you want to be called out.
We know that the pre-acquisition contracts will be completed. This was one of them.
Microsoft it has no vr headset on xbox and on pc doom3 vr exists modded for some time. If already developed it would make no sense not to release it on ps

Last edited:

Shmunter

This comment is so naive/stupid that it looks like you want to be called out.
We know that the pre-acquisition contracts will be completed. This was one of them.
Microsoft it has no vr headset on xbox and on pc doom3 vr exists modded for some time. If already developed it would make no sense not to release it on ps
Errr, I was addressing a specific question about the game ever releasing on PS5. Now excuse me, my dance card is full.

Fredrik

The end game is a clever system where everything can become part of the bigger final result. Consoles serve but are not actually essential since you still have PC and xcloud (especially if in the next 10 years with 5g streaming will take off), PC they are needed but are not actually essential because you would still have consoles and streaming. etcetera etcetera. The same applies to Gamepass too, since ms is not preventing the sale of individual full price games (physical & Digital) see for example Steam. Having multiple entry devices points and on these having multiple entry prices, from full physical game to digital to sub to streaming this is the end game and I find it ABSOLUTELY winning
Well, that could happen but competition usually makes things complicated for the end users, everybody wants a piece of that winning cake. I think the subscription era will end in gamers having to subscribe to multiple $15-20/month services with timed or full exclusives on each one. Kinda like how it is with TV now.

But we’re not there yet and I just hope MS put the foot down and show that they’re serious about Xbox and it gaining ground in the industry, as in don’t share the advantages with the competition.
Otherwise they can stop being vague and be pro-consumer for real and outright announce right now that everything will be on PS too so people can better plan how to invest the money.

CeeJay

So much bargaining going on in this thread! :D

What's next? Anger?

Personally I think they will keep it simple and state their intentions on exclusivity rather than keep it in doubt. Buying Zenimax was done to strengthen the Xbox brand and not stating clearly what their intentions are weakens that position and puts the element of doubt on customers who are thinking of buying an Xbox. If they come out and say that the vast majority of games are going to be exclusive then it puts the element of doubt onto customers who are thinking of buying a Playstation.

Not saying anything or being unclear on exclusivity they customer thinks "I might not need to buy an Xbox to play these games..."
Coming out and being clear on exclusivity, customer thinks "I probably won't be able to play these games on Playstation..."

One of these scenarios gets more people into the Xbox eco-system and the other creates doubt.

Mattyp

Gold Member

The endgame is an app on your tv called gamepass and all you do is buy a controller, no hardware, and pay $15 a month.

If stats are to be believed a large portion of the 'youth' and even some of the older crowd here only buy digital anyway so they at this point have no use for a console. If you buy digital games there is no reason to not be using gamepass right this instant instead, buying digital means you own nothing already. If you only buy digital games there's really no reason to even have hardware anymore once the tech gets there, and it's getting there fast.

Mum & Dad will be much more willing to pay $15 a month instead of $500 every few years + games + gamepass etc.

pasterpl

I wouldnt be surprised if they dont announce their excusivity plans anytime soon. If they DO plan for future games to be Xbox console exclusive, its going to create a ton of negativity when they announce that. So i wouldnt be surprised if they say nothing, and once we get stuff like Starfield officially revealed, it says something like 'PC and Xbox console exclusive'.
It is funny that that negativity is almost exclusive to ms making something exclusive, when other platform holders are doing that it is just good business practice.

martino

The end game is buying a $50 controller and opening up the xCloud app on your TV to play Fallout 5.
i know there is a public for it but when i think about xsx bluetooth latency + streaming latency i go
DelayedWellwornDuckbillcat-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Fredrik

i know there is a public for it but when i think about xsx bluetooth latency + streaming latency i go
DelayedWellwornDuckbillcat-max-1mb.gif
I like streaming, it works well for most games.

But the problem is, they’re competing with Geforce Now. Which will always be better until MS starts using Windows 10 PCs for Xcloud instead of the XB1 junk they use today.

kuncol02

Banned
I like streaming, it works well for most games.

But the problem is, they’re competing with Geforce Now. Which will always be better until MS starts using Windows 10 PCs for Xcloud instead of the XB1 junk they use today.
They are now upgrading to next gen servers and started testing 1080p streaming just few days ago.

Woody337

Outside of a pissing contest, why do xbox fans care if bethesda games are exclusive or not? It really doesnt change a thing in that persons life at all.

Aion002

Problem with Ryan is: He says what fanboys wanna hear and he does, what his shareholders expect. He's a two-faced, windy manager. His character doesn't really make Playstation a worse plattform, of course. But his decisions do.

Not really, Jimbo is honest as fuck in his intentions. For example:

And even in this:

“We’re really happy and proud of the PS Studios titles that have been released by Worldwide Studios. Some of them have already been announced, and others are in the works. SIE also has strong relationships with licenses in Japan, so we will continue to strengthen our ties with them and develop titles made in Japan for PlayStation fans around the world.”

Keywords: Licenses and Strength Ties - AKA Third Party studios deals like Square Enix and Capcom. He basically said fuck first party in Japan.

He is probably the most direct and objective console leader at the moment.

Last edited:

reksveks

Outside of a pissing contest, why do xbox fans care if bethesda games are exclusive or not? It really doesnt change a thing in that persons life at all.
It doesn't really. The only second and third order possible effect is that xbox users could possibly hope for is that third party publishers are slightly less to make thier games timed exclusives

Fredrik

They are now upgrading to next gen servers and started testing 1080p streaming just few days ago.
Baby steps. It’s not enough when the competition is upgrading things too. They’ll never catch up when they use console tech. And why are they using console tech?? They already have PC versions,

reksveks

Baby steps. It’s not enough when the competition is upgrading things too. They’ll never catch up when they use console tech. And why are they using console tech?? They already have PC versions,
Because its easier technically and they are more likely to convert console users to a streaming service than PC users. The primary target market of xcloud don't care what version of a game they are playing.

Interfectum

Gotta love the hypocrisy of all of these xbox influencers suddenly backing off or tired of the idea of exclusivity after all of them pushed this shit for months. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They all getting a little uneasy that maybe Starfield and the rest will be coming to PS5 as well.

Fredrik

This isn’t just Xbox fans, Sony fans don’t want Sony exclusives on Xbox either, not even on PC going by the noise from Day’s Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn on PC.
In the end it’s about growing the brand. The bigger the platform is the more likely it is that it’ll get a game release and in-house optimization instead of a rocky outsourced port. Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox would definitely grow the brand. As multiplats I don’t see what would change besides maybe a Microsoft logo at the startup.

CeeJay

Because the console hardware runs the games more efficiently than equivalent PC hardware and it can be customised to their exact requirements.

The original article, which is the source for the one in the OP, is written by the dude who said Microsoft will drop the online paywall for Xbox Live multiplayer and make it free for all tiers of members, Jeff Grubb.

People on the #BelieveGrubb train waiting for XBL Gold to drop online paywall:

D2LW6DI.png

But the content in the OP, is almost as blue as the sky and as captain obvious as it can get when it was announced that March 7 will be the deciding date for the acquisition to go through for Microsoft, by multiple international unions. This captain obvious "rUmOr" can be predicted by even people like Pachter, and has more chances of happening give the circumstances.

pasterpl

I think we will see all games that are already being develop remain multi platform, new titles, that are still in pre production will be Xbox exclusives.

DaGwaphics

MS needs to make a business decision, are they primarily a service company (Gamepass) or a hardware provider (Xbox)? We know the answer to that one.

That's a good point.

MS just released not one but two consoles with all the additional R&D and costs associated with the two separate manufacturing lines. Then they priced both systems very competitively, probably taking a much bigger loss per unit than Sony in the process. Plus, the second lower price sku was an obvious attempt to increase market share even if as a secondary system.

So, yes, it's good to get that out of the way.

Fredrik

Because its easier technically and they are more likely to convert console users to a streaming service than PC users. The primary target market of xcloud don't care what version of a game they are playing.
I played Control on GFN simply because that was the version I could play with full RTX at 60fps. There is no converting needed, if Xcloud had PC versions then when a game is running it would feel exactly the same as now on Xcloud, just at ultra gfx instead of mid or low.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not soon. But if they see time exclusivity don't hurt them while releasing on pc later....why not ?
Why loose money ? when all you have to loose for it is a small niche of fans with dogmatist thinking from another era.
You don't build future growth and profit with that.

I think anybody who thinks sony would put their excluives on xbox is mad, sorry. Sony would never do this , that would risk future PS sales and there is no way they would do that will selling so many last gen

reksveks

I played Control on GFN simply because that was the version I could play with full RTX at 60fps. There is no converting needed, if Xcloud had PC versions then when a game is running it would feel exactly the same as now on Xcloud, just at ultra gfx instead of mid or low.
I just don't think you are the target audience. They are going after mobile users and console gamers who are looking for another convenient way to play their game. They don't believe that the majority of users using a streaming service prioritise quality.

Concern

Last Zenimax game I played was the first Wolfenstein on Ps4. I'll be lying if I said I cared much for this deal other than to see some glorious meltdowns by the fanboys saying Zenimax is "trash anyway" or "Xbox has no gaemz lolz".

That alone is worth its 7bn lol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox gamers want games and consider a threat to SONY you can’t do that without a Zenimax deal.

Fredrik

I just don't think you are the target audience. They are going after mobile users and console gamers who are looking for another convenient way to play their game. They don't believe that the majority of users using a streaming service prioritise quality.
Ah I understand, yeah I can agree on that. I just think it’s a missed opportunity when they have the PC platform too. It’ll be particularly weird to play Xcloud on PC if the versions are console versions.

DaGwaphics

Ah I understand, yeah I can agree on that. I just think it’s a missed opportunity when they have the PC platform too. It’ll be particularly weird to play Xcloud on PC if the versions are console versions.

The average Joe using streaming on PC will probably be playing on a garbage PC (for gaming) with an iGPU, so it'll still be better than what they'd ever get locally. Especially when they upgrade to XSX systems.

martino

I think anybody who thinks sony would put their excluives on xbox is mad, sorry. Sony would never do this , that would risk future PS sales and there is no way they would do that will selling so many last gen
The tend of cost production of AAA are not changing ...so i don't know when but in the long run i don't think AAA exclusivity will remain possible
You see that whit third party accepting less and less full exclusivity gen after gen times with cost icnreasing .The question will be raised also for first party when the cost will become really high.

NickFire

Based on the report it seems we are getting a promotional video about day 1 releases and nothing about supported / non-supported platforms.

When all you've heard from PS fans everyday for the past decade, that xbox has no exclusives.... It's inevitable that the people who are invested in the xbox ecosystem are going to want the games to be kept exclusive after a big purchase like Zenimax.

Top Bottom