• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Xbox is planning a Banjo-Kazooie revival, developer claims

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Idk man. An excellent 3D platformer is hard to make. But if there’s someone who could pull it off under Microsoft belt then its definitely Doublefine.
Doublefine has not really proven to be a good platformer design studio with their two attempts. They are good game, but not particularly as platformers. Rare, Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob would all be significantly better choices.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I was being sarcastic.

A bit of life advice for the two of you, if you don’t like something that’s fine. Maybe don’t come in to thread about that topic and try to derail it for other people who do though.

Peace.
giphy.gif

daTRUballin

Wow this thread has become a warzone xD

Idk what the best 3D platformer of all time is, but Banjo Kazooie being considered better than Mario 64 or being the best platformer on the N64 isn't a particularly controversial opinion to have. I've seen many having that opinion over the years.

But it's all subjective. They're both great games.

MagnesD3

Doublefine has not really proven to be a good platformer design studio with their two attempts. They are good game, but not particularly as platformers. Rare, Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob would all be significantly better choices.
I'd take Toys for Bob as a Developer and Double Fine as a Writer.

Also as for the argument of BK vs SM64 it's free for BK because you could argue its the greatest 3d platformer of ALL TIME.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'd take Toys for Bob as a Developer and Double Fine as a Writer.

Also as for the argument of BK vs SM64 it's free for BK because you could argue its the greatest 3d platformer of ALL TIME.
I would agree that Banjo-Kazooie is a contender for best 3d platformer of all time, but some Mario games are strong rivals. I think the Mario games have better mechanics, but Banjo-Kazooie has unmatched level design. From my perspective, Banjo-Kazooie has the best 3d level design whatsoever, not limited to platformers.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Xbox fans have been asking Microsoft to bring back platformer Banjo-Kazooie for many many years but sadly, there is nothing official regarding such a project at the moment. Microsoft Gaming head Phil Spencer previously said that Banjo revival is totally up to Rare, the studio who created this beloved character.

However, given that Rare are busy with Sea of Thieves and Everwild and have no interest in classic IP, Microsoft will probably need to find a different studio to work on Banjo-Kazooie game.

And according to some recent rumblings, the might have found the ideal candidate. Trusted insider NateDrake revealed last month before the Xbox and Bethesda showcase, that there is a new Banjo game in development. This info has been corroborated by Spanish Xbox insider eXstas1s , who confirms that Banjo game is indeed coming but sadly, that's about everything both insiders revealed.

The insider mentions that it could be Sackboy developer Sumo Digital that are working on the game but that's just speculation and nothing more.

Rykan

I am convinced that a new Banjo game is coming. MS has so many studios available, several of which are more than capable of creating a high quality platformer. While I personally have no nostalgic connection to this franchise, it's pretty apparent that it's a fan favorite and MS will have to invest into family friendly games sooner or later if it wants to expand beyond its current audience.

Top Bottom