• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Xbox is planning a Banjo-Kazooie revival, developer claims

Did people care about Crash and Spyro?
EMIwAyo.gif

This guys ego is growing. Pretty soon hell be pushing paid NFT tweets.

That's what chasing insider status tends to do to folks. In some ways it's not too much different from the revered priests of the European Dark Age.

But given the proximity of some of these rumors with what's actually currently going on, and that at least some of these dudes have reputations they have to keep in mind, some of these are believable. A Banjo revival being one of them.

It probably won't be a 3D platformer tho unless it's a remake.

Microsoft rather revive a semi-successful franchise from 25 years ago than maybe make a new ip.

I don't think that's fair to hold against them, because it's an IP a lot of people have nostalgia for. Virtually all of Nintendo's biggest IPs are based on games that first came out decades ago, like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc.

Even Sony trades off a lot of nostalgia with the upcoming TLOU Remake, and new entries in series like GT, God of War, Uncharted, Rachet & Clank etc. Plus there's some people (myself included) who want them to bring back stuff like Parappa/UmJammer, Jumping Flash, Tomba!, SOCOM, Sly Cooper, etc. or even IP that aren't technically theirs but are strongly tied to PS like MGS1.

One of the big problems with MS is they squandered a lot of nostalgia in the past for stuff like Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie. If they want to do right by those IP for a change then why not let them? It's not like bringing them back is impeding new IP from getting made, clearly, with all the new IP leaks from their studios (well, from insiders but regardless).

Last edited:
See mention;

5eac56ac16e701cbad8b5a6f_FYfW.gif

See thread title;

R.4a6893a240d89e8e1a153bd36def2cbf

See that the source is MVG;

giphy.gif

I’ve been waiting for 22 years, with 1 extremely cruel joke thrown in in 2008.

I won’t get my hopes up until I see something confirmed, and it has to look good with the right team behind it.

To everyone saying Double Fine, Tim’s said no.

I hope Rare grows some balls and try to tackle their own storied history with this one (if it’s true). Dream would be a Rare/Playtonic collab.

All I’ll say is if this is confirmed; Craig of War Craig of War you can dunk all over me. You can run your sweaty nuts right across my forehead for all I care.
You better prepare it not looking good for you

lWC30je.gif

I am fairly certain that *if* a new Banjo was going to be made, it would be a platformer. No way they would have the audacity to make another spin of type Banjo game before that.

Well if it's going to be a 3D platformer (I was thinking it could be a 2.5D platformer like the DK games from Retro) then it's most likely going to be a remake of the first one.

Why jump headfirst into a whole brand new 3D BK game when you can pace yourself and update the original games people already love? Less risk, more money, builds up to a genuine Banjo-Kazooie 3 (meaning they'd probably also remake Banjo-Tooie between the two).

Banjo64

cumsessed
Insider on reee saying that a Banjo project has been green lit however it may not show up tomorrow. Don’t ever visit reee but thought I’d check out what they’re saying re: Banjo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
gaHbtVH.gif

Not even before. You really think people yearning for a new croc? Why not a new frogger? Better yet glover, that was actually really good.

There is a new Frogger. Its on Apple Arcade and its kinda decent for a simple puzzle platformer.

Insider on reee saying that a Banjo project has been green lit however it may not show up tomorrow. Don’t ever visit reee but thought I’d check out what they’re saying re: Banjo.

Knowing Microsoft, they will show a CGI trailer to get people hype and fail to deliver any info or news for 3-4 years while the devs wonder what kind of gameplay the game will have.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why jump headfirst into a whole brand new 3D BK game when you can pace yourself and update the original games people already love?
By that logic: Why ever make a new game if a franchise has been dormant for more than 5 years? Since Banjo-Kazooie is already pretty much perfect as is and is readily available on current hardware with 4k resolution, a remake would not be a very exciting choice.

daTRUballin

I hope Rare grows some balls and try to tackle their own storied history with this one (if it’s true). Dream would be a Rare/Playtonic collab.
Agreed. Any other developer besides Rare and I'll still be glad, but not as interested. I want Rare to handle their own stuff for once.

BTW, what's with all the Banjo hate and dismissal going on in this thread? Some truly awful posts here. Sheesh.

Agreed. Any other developer besides Rare and I'll still be glad, but not as interested. I want Rare to handle their own stuff for once.

BTW, what's with all the Banjo hate and dismissal going on in this thread? Some truly awful posts here. Sheesh.
If you mean my comments, it's not just him, even though I think it's to late for him, I'm talking about any 90s-style platform mascot.

daTRUballin

If you mean my comments, it's not just him, even though I think it's to late for him, I'm talking about any 90s-style platform mascot.
No, your posts aren't as bad. I'm mostly talking about others. :p
Banjo Kazooie is the absolute goat collectathon but I can't see them possibly recapturing that magic. Talent isn't there and times have changed.

Yeah, except for the main creator of the entire series.

And not to dog on people that used to work at Rare during the golden age of the company. They were obviously brilliant folks, but I'll be very surprised if a group of younger and passionate developers can't make a Banjo game on par or even better than a group of people close to retirement age. We can't rely on them forever.

Things need to be passed down to younger generations so they could make even better things. That's how things should ideally work.

daTRUballin

GcXT2pG.gif

Cool, cause I don't have a Banjo-Kazooie problem, I have a forced comebacks problem. Banjo specifically seems like a hard sell in todays market though.
It's hard to say. I've seen this pointed out for many years now, but it's been so long since Nuts & Bolts (and even longer since Tooie) that there is literally no way to know if a well-marketed Banjo game wouldn't do well.

I can understand the skepticism though.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. I've seen this pointed out for many years now, but it's been so long since Nuts & Bolts (and even longer since Tooie) that there is literally no way to know if a well-marketed Banjo game wouldn't do well.

I can understand the skepticism though.
I always think of how would they modernize them. When I hear people say Ape Escape, I think a Monster Hunter type deal. Gex you get options with hus whole schick. Banjo seems lost to time though. Like most other of his ilk, they seem like fond memories that should stay there.

Barakov

Honestly, Xbox needs something like a new Banjo. The sooner they shake off the public perception that they only make three games the better.

By that logic: Why ever make a new game if a franchise has been dormant for more than 5 years? Since Banjo-Kazooie is already pretty much perfect as is and is readily available on current hardware with 4k resolution, a remake would not be a very exciting choice.

No matter how pretty you make the textures, that isn't going to make the character models any more detailed, or the animations any better. Those are things only a full-on remake can bring. Just look at games like Demon's Souls Remake, or RE Remakes 1-3 (and the upcoming RE4 remake) for examples of what those can do versus just taking the same base engine, models, animations, etc. and slapping some 4K textures on them.

Not to mention remakes can also give a chance to redesign parts of the game and expand on them, or fix things that may've been flaws in the original release. Classic REmake did that brilliantly, same with RE2 Remake and stuff like FF VII Remake (more or less).

Reactions: PJX
No matter how pretty you make the textures, that isn't going to make the character models any more detailed, or the animations any better. Those are things only a full-on remake can bring. Just look at games like Demon's Souls Remake, or RE Remakes 1-3 (and the upcoming RE4 remake) for examples of what those can do versus just taking the same base engine, models, animations, etc. and slapping some 4K textures on them.

Not to mention remakes can also give a chance to redesign parts of the game and expand on them, or fix things that may've been flaws in the original release. Classic REmake did that brilliantly, same with RE2 Remake and stuff like FF VII Remake (more or less).
Your not wrong on any of this. It seems people think upping the res and 60fps that bitch is enough to make some look better. More polys, more effects more everything is needed. A straight remake with some heavy editing would be a good barometer for banjos resurgence.

I liked FF VII remake, mostly because I was looking for a The Fly type remake and dreading a Psycho one.

Top Bottom