• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Xbox is planning a Banjo-Kazooie revival, developer claims

ManaByte

“Banjo will be at this show, and it will be announced,” said MVG. “I have spoken to a lot of people, and I’m not an insider, I’m a developer, but sometimes I hear things and I was at GDC earlier this year and there were some people talking about Banjo.

“I’ve heard that Banjo’s coming up for months now, from different people. Something’s happening with Banjo, what I can’t tell you is what that is,” Modern Vintage Gamer conceded, admitting he’s unsure if it’s a new title or a collection of old games.

“I feel pretty strongly that there will be a Banjo announcement at this show, because man, I just keep hearing about Banjo,” he reiterated before discussing Microsoft‘s lack of family-friendly first-party titles and how Banjo could fill that void.

PhaseJump

Banned
Banjo Nuts & Bolts 2: The Wrath of Conker

200w.gif

Last edited:

ZehDon

New game or a remake? My money would be on the latter; it's the safest play. Not that I'd turn it down: Banjo-Kazooie remains one of the best platformers ever made.

Bragr

Banned
Can anyone explain why Banjo Kazooie is constantly brought up? It looked like a Teletubbies 3D platformer. Was it actually a quality title back in its heyday?
It's the second greatest 3D platformer ever made after Mario 64 and is considered one of the top-tier titles of the N64. When it came out, it was also a technical marvel, had an all-time great soundtrack, and had that wacky sarcastic humor of Rare from that era. It was a big deal.

PhaseJump

Banned
Can anyone explain why Banjo Kazooie is constantly brought up? It looked like a Teletubbies 3D platformer. Was it actually a quality title back in its heyday?

I've had teenagers younger than me throw punches because I said Banjo Kazooie kind of sucked back when N64 was still super serious business. All the magazines loved it, it was a solid game. It was more solid Mario 64 style 3D platforming with some cool mechanics, but also a constant, absolutely fucking dumb voice noise being thrown around too often when there was text to read.

If Teletubbies made stupid noises and started having a conversation with captions, I'd shut that shit off, and BK has never evolved past that for me. If people want more Banjo Kazooie, they should go play Yooka Laylee and perhaps get their head examined. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug, and I refuse to partake to give old obnoxious Banjo shit a pass.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Banjo64 Banjo64 and Elder Legend Elder Legend This should be your favorite thread of the day.
See mention;

5eac56ac16e701cbad8b5a6f_FYfW.gif

See thread title;

R.4a6893a240d89e8e1a153bd36def2cbf

See that the source is MVG;

giphy.gif

I’ve been waiting for 22 years, with 1 extremely cruel joke thrown in in 2008.

I won’t get my hopes up until I see something confirmed, and it has to look good with the right team behind it.

To everyone saying Double Fine, Tim’s said no.

I hope Rare grows some balls and try to tackle their own storied history with this one (if it’s true). Dream would be a Rare/Playtonic collab.

All I’ll say is if this is confirmed; Craig of War Craig of War you can dunk all over me. You can run your sweaty nuts right across my forehead for all I care.

Elysion

Banned
I always wondered why MS barely did anything with the IP after buying Rare. Making a Banjo game for the OG XBox should’ve been one of Microsoft’s highest priorities; and if Rare didn’t want to make it, it could’ve been given to another studio. Back then 3d platformers were still kind of a big deal, and a proper Banjo game could’ve been MS’s answer to Sony’s and Nintendo’s lineup of platformers (Mario, Jak&Dexter, Ratchet&Clank etc). Instead they didn’t do anything with the IP until the 360, and all we got then was N&B. Huge missed opportunity imo.

Banjo64

cumsessed

He’s either trolling and is working on it, or the rumour is horse shit. I’m inclined to believe he’s trolling.

Kev Kev

I’ve been waiting for 22 years, with 1 extremely cruel joke thrown in in 2008.

I won’t get my hopes up until I see something confirmed
right there with you man. banjo takes me back to being a kids in the 90s. absolutely one of my goats and it holds up insanely well. i go back 100% it every few years. stone cold classic.

but ive heard this song and dance before lol. and as much as i loved nuts and bolts, it wasnt exactly what i wanted. hopefully this is!

Batiman

Banned
It’s quality now. Played through it again a couple years ago and had so much fun with it. Aged better than most from that time including Mario 64. The problem with this game is that it got compared to m64 when it’s really not the same. It’s a chill collection game with good tunes. Very satisfying

cio54SO.gif

Do people really care? I know nostalgia is real kick in the feels, but I mostly see these met with a blah. Let see how this one turns out after the last.

Stuart360

I always wondered why MS barely did anything with the IP after buying Rare. Making a Banjo game for the OG XBox should’ve been one of Microsoft’s highest priorities; and if Rare didn’t want to make it, it could’ve been given to another studio. Back then 3d platformers were still kind of a big deal, and a proper Banjo game could’ve been MS’s answer to Sony’s and Nintendo’s lineup of platformers (Mario, Jak&Dexter, Ratchet&Clank etc). Instead they didn’t do anything with the IP until the 360, and all we got then was N&B. Huge missed opportunity imo.
How many platformers do we get these days?, outside of the odd Indie. Even when have got a new AAA Platformer in recent times, they have been almost all remakes or remasters of old games.

A new Banjo wont be happening for me, unless its being made on the cheap by one of Microsofts smaller studios.

Top Bottom