• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Sony is winding down Japan Studio

SLB1904

Banned
I kind of feel like Xbox is slowly turning into Play Station. Because of GamePass Xbox is able to put more indie or "risky" tiles on there where they can find an audience. With Sony's current business model they are going to have to rely on big blockbusters to keep the money flowing.
Is that what we calling showelware now

What will Sony do when realizes that it needs Japanese studios producing games to sell in japanese market and also worldwide?
And what will Sony do when they find that studios take many years to produce quality games?
Well crawl through the desert like PS3 times.

kretos

Banned
They haven't close the studio. What's wrong with you people and not reading. Wtf

tenor.gif

cragarmi

Japan studio has been mostly support for the last few years, very little has changed here, this may mean that Rayspace was cancelled though. Asobi are still going to be making Astrobot games though, likely making the next one for PSVR2 launch.

SLB1904

Banned
What will Sony do when realizes that it needs Japanese studios producing games to sell in japanese market and also worldwide?
And what will Sony do when they find that studios take many years to produce quality games?
tenor.gif

Neofire

Some clown posts in here.

The man built the EU PS market into the dominant behemoth that it is. This is on the higher ups in Japan, and the article still isn't certain on all the details with the sub work such as the Demon's Souls collaboration and the like.

I would not be shocked if Demon's Souls was BP's trial run into Bloodborne 2.
You live in the EU or something? Lol you be going hard for this dude I give more credit to Andrew House since he was the driving force behind the ps4 but you keep trying to give credit to a dude that somewhat help one region. I personally put the playstation's success to the developers and the games they pumped out for the masses there.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The rumours was true, Sony is buying Square Enix and they'll be the new Japan Studio!
J/k

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You live in the EU or something? Lol you be going hard for this dude I give more credit to Andrew House since he was the driving force behind the ps4 but you keep trying to give credit to a dude that somewhat help one region. I personally put the playstation's success to the developers and the games they pumped out for the masses there.
I made one post, broseph. Unsure how that is "going hard" or "keep trying," but okay.

:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Sorry, I will jump in the reactionary gamers ill-informed hottakes and piles-ons around business decisions.

"Fuck that guy!" "Yeah man, fuck that guy!" /hi5

With brilliant gems such as this:
youtube lol GIF

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

They dont, Fate and grand order makes them millions on mobile alone each year. It's like over a couple billion I believe in what that has made for them.

the californians are really bent on destroying PlayStation hard

I bet they're all on Microsoft's payroll.

it's like they saw the Japanese guy yesterday announcing psvr2 and said, "hey, let's break one of the main psvr studios so that he sees who's boss"

shameful, shameful. In old Sony all these soyboys would be crying, apologizing and committing seppuku

stitch1

Is that what we calling showelware now
Not at all. While not everything on Gamepass is a 10million+ unit seller there are some great gems to be had. And because of the monthly subscription model and the help of tentpole games it allows for lesser known games/devs to find people willing to give them a shot.

Papacheeks

Banned
This is sad :(

No, if anything Ueda's next game will probably be on Playstation and PC with Sony publishing it, and your going to see more come from Japan studio. Japan studio is restructuring and if what I've heard is true they are going to become a big part which they already are in overseeing lots of Japanese developed games by external studios including Bluepoint who is not Japanese but make great remakes of Japanese classics.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I guess it depends on what kind of Sony fan you are, really loved them during the ps2-ps3 era and had every single handheld they released, so for me it sucks, i loved the niche games they released, and experimental stuff, not really into what they are doing now, but i know most people are so thats fine, not a shock they are going in that direction. i can always game on other platforms. But still Sony for me was always "Japanese games, Weird games".

I just feel that this forum sometimes calls everyone "trolls" or dismises everyone as a "xbot" if they dont like sonys current offering. So not much discussion to be had. (not refering to you)
Yeah, I get cancelled every few days whenever I complain about Sony.

You're right. All of those studios were a huge reason why I turned into a Sony fan. I mean i feel like everyone was a Sony fan in the PS2 days because everything was a PS exclusive. MGS, FF, GTA, DMC. You had to be. But they really got me in the ps3 era when they started investing in first party studios and as much as I liked KZ, Uncharted and Gow, it was MAG, Socom, Warhawk, SOTC, Ico and Motorstorm that really made me a fan.

I remember always arguing with people who called Sony a one note publisher with a focus on cinematic games because my experience with the ps3 was far more varied. Racing games, online shooters, shit like Flower and Journey, car combat games like Twisted Metal. Team Ico games that were unlike anything else out there that wouldnt fit into any genre.

I dont want to insult any Sony fans, but how many even remember Pursuit Force on the PSP. It was like a blast from the past. Somethign you would play in the arcades or on a sega system. Wipeout. Sony used to be so much more than they are now. And it's depressing.

johnjohn

I kind of feel like Xbox is slowly turning into Play Station. Because of GamePass Xbox is able to put more indie or "risky" tiles on there where they can find an audience. With Sony's current business model they are going to have to rely on big blockbusters to keep the money flowing.
Yea, the future of Xbox is incredibly exciting. PlayStation, not so much. They seem to be going in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Makes sense for Sony as they make most of their profit outside Japan. From my point of view I’ve always bought Sony machines to play weeb stuff, looks like a PC and/or Switch will do the trick fine this gen.

Papacheeks

Banned

You're right. All of those studios were a huge reason why I turned into a Sony fan. I mean i feel like everyone was a Sony fan in the PS2 days because everything was a PS exclusive. MGS, FF, GTA, DMC. You had to be. But they really got me in the ps3 era when they started investing in first party studios and as much as I liked KZ, Uncharted and Gow, it was MAG, Socom, Warhawk, SOTC, Ico and Motorstorm that really made me a fan.

I remember always arguing with people who called Sony a one note publisher with a focus on cinematic games because my experience with the ps3 was far more varied. Racing games, online shooters, shit like Flower and Journey, car combat games like Twisted Metal. Team Ico games that were unlike anything else out there that wouldnt fit into any genre.

I dont want to insult any Sony fans, but how many even remember Pursuit Force on the PSP. It was like a blast from the past. Somethign you would play in the arcades or on a sega system. Wipeout. Sony used to be so much more than they are now. And it's depressing.

I still own pursuit force. Awesome but flawed game.

But also handhelds for sony are over unless they want to dip their toes back in with a Ryzen/Radeon chip similar to what Nvidia did for Nintendo. Those developers a lot of them tried to transition over back to making console games, and it did not pan out for some. Sony now is a well oiled machine. And also was smart enough to know how crowded certain genre's are. There are too many racing games that honestly you only need one for your platform. So many third party titles for that genre. Also there are a lot of fighting games so there that.

I've come to terms with Sony not doing the weird one off's like Folfklore, gravity rush. But if not doing those means I get MGS remake, bloodborne sequel, and one day maybe a Legend of dragoon remake I would be ok with the decisions they have made.

Last edited:

Pursuit Force was a great game, never played the sequel was it any good? RIP Tokyo Jungle 2 also now. PSP had lots of cool exclusives first party and third, still use it to this day, the selection of games is amazing.

Someone will fill the void with these kind of games sooner or later, my guess would be indie devs. so we just gotta keep positive! 👍

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gravity Rush 2 got made. Sony tried. And nobody actually liked that game lets not pretend anything of value was lost.
Yeah Kat is cute the game isn't.

Not everything is going to hit, but it doesn't mean it was a waste, not to mention that something like Gravity Rush 2 probably costs a fraction to make as their bigger triple A titles from Naughty Dog, etc.

Going through the development process can lead to new technology and game design idea discoveries that can be used elsewhere and turned into eventual hits.

That's not to say that they are obligated to prop up underperforming studios. They can make those cold and calculated purely profit-driven decisions if they want to, but I think it will come back and bite them down the road when the market changes. It's certainly disappointing to see as a long time customer.

Last edited by a moderator:

zedinen

They dont, Fate and grand order makes them millions on mobile alone each year. It's like over a couple billion I believe in what that has made for them.

Sony's FGO Surpasses $4 Billion After Becoming Japan’s Top Grossing Mobile Game of 2019
Fate/Grand Order from Sony’s Aniplex continues to be one of the world’s most lucrative mobile games, having just surpassed $4 billion in lifetime player spending according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence estimates.

The fantasy RPG has been a smash hit ever since its release in 2015, becoming one of the most successful mobile games of all time–following in the footsteps of other Japanese blockbusters such as Puzzle & Dragons from GungHo Online Entertainment and Monster Strike from Mixi.

Papacheeks

Banned
Not everything is going to hit, but it doesn't mean it was a waste, not to mention that something like Gravity Rush 2 probably costs a fraction to make as their bigger triple A titles from Naughty Dog, etc.

Going through the development process and lead to new technology and game design idea discoveries that can be used elsewhere and turned into eventual hits.

That's not to say that they are obligated to prop up underperforming studios. They can make those cold and calculated purely profit-driven decisions if they want to, but I think it will come back and bite them down the road when the market changes. It's certainly disappointing to see as a long time customer.

I totally agree, I want another Gravity Rush I own both the remaster and GR2, would also love a Legend of dragoon remake as well. But I guess lets wait and see if this new restructure bares fruit? Because external work they have been doing has been pretty fire. ANd more is on the way.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I wish I could say I will miss this studio but frankly their output never reached any sort of success.

Gravity Rush went from a Vita flop to a PS4 flop to a sequel that flopped.

knack was an effective industry joke that also got a sequel both of them I Believe flopped.

everybody's golf seem like a solid little title but frankly for a first party studio output once again didn't have the amount of polish that you would expect.

Although I'm happy last guardian came out it definitely wasn't a great game nor was it very good on a technical level.

I'm glad that they're continuing work on astrobot since that seems to be the only thing that they've created that not only has reached a critical but also consumer level of success. The rest of their hairbrained output can safely be stuffed into a garbage can.

SSfox

Playstation closing studios and Microsoft buying studios. Is not necessary be a genius for know wich console will be the best in 3 years.
Indeed Xbox is the best for playing japanese games, specially since those were available on Playstation since 5 years ago.

Gotcha.

Keihart

"Restructuring" that's some hard cock sucking words, they are putting their money elsewhere and letting talent go. Just remember that none of this happened under Yoshida, who may i remind you brought back WWS from the death during PS3 era and set them on good trajectory for the PS4 gen. Right now Jim and company are only riding the wave, let's see what happens when it finally crashes.

EDMIX

Sony's logic is based on the sales.

Well I mean....that is moot, that is most companies in the world. They still need to exist as a business.

They don't have any prior anlysis based on qualities or potential to maybe reskin the characters like Nintendo does including Mario in its sports games to perform better in the market and grow.

I have no clue what that means or what you are saying here. I'm not trying to be rude either, they didn't do analysis on qualities? Clarify

The whole thing with "reskin the characters like Nintendo" is not even a fucking thing NINTENDO can do with any of their new IPs, what Mario and Zelda are, are complete enigmas, they are culture defining concepts. Nintendo couldn't replicate that even if they fucking tried (and they have) and they are the companies that even fucking made that stuff. Sega tried that too. You are simply not talking about this thing that automatically doing it results in some magic that makes it um "perform better in the market and grow". Its so naïve its not even funny. So Sony throwing in Sack Boy in all things Sony won't magically make those things sell more by default and "grow", it first has to be liked and wanted first and foremost. Sack Boy exist cause LBP did well as a series. They don't do it to make it "perform better", LBP performed well, thus Sack Boy as a different game exist... It must be liked and wanted first. Its not magic.

its not some trick or manipulation. That might work for Nintendo, but shit even they can't do that with their NEW IPs, the majority of stuff you see that from is from shit from 20 and 30 years ago..... Star Fox, Mario, Animal Cross, Zelda etc. It would be like making it sound like by default Activision can whip up another IP thats like Call Of Duty to get the same numbers, even Red Dead doesn't move GTA numbers. So those concepts are not the norm and can't be replicated and "reskined" as if its a clear thing what made those series move monstrous numbers.

What works for Sony is NEW IP. They move units on new IP that Nintendo doesn't do often. Nintendo established IPs move record units, Sony's new IP's move record units, neither company moves massive units in those opposing areas. As its unlikely to see a established Sony IP move more units then their new stuff, its unlikely to see a new Nintendo IP move more units then their established stuff.

They are different companies with different install bases. Sony is right to keep making new IP instead thinking they can fucking FORCE a IP by putting in a bunch of reskins thinking if they just flood the market with it, it will magically "perform better".

They don't put any effort in know what people want.

Yea I greatly disagree. I see no evidence that they have no department set up to just read up on what is wanted. I'd argue Sony has the most diverse library of content, same with MS (funny enough its Nintendo that lacks in that...) A Playstation is one of the few systems I can really recommend stuff for the whole family. As in...they put a great deal of effort in knowing what people want. Sing Star for mom, Astro for toddler, Ratchet series for tween, Uncharted, God Of War, The Last Of Us for dad. (and all that zany shit in-between) lol Sony for many, many generations has had a set up where they cater to many different gamers, I'd say MS over the last generation has been shaping up to do the same if not more so with their current set up.

They only risk with what has already worked for them as we have seen the umpteenth third-person Unchartesque game.

nah.

PSVR-2020.jpg

eYox8g-XQpmdFKPrFqBTsCXTl7rDrJEJerlKQlqqB7-vhw2WyRMNvbSHL1eETia022Sosm6WiI4kyoAr98pOtCNhZgmb2Lew97XQdIpeg-n6dURJcDVq7lCnpCIyvx3ru6YucpmH-9JhYHblPgwTz9kxTlFtpTY

Concrete-Genie-Hero-500.jpg

I think the Uncharted comment is simply a myth that gets thrown around ignoring all context and reality. Its very easy to just say "they ONLY" do this or that and the proceed to ignore a wealth of content that isn't Uncharted or anything like it.

We are claiming for a big budget JRPG, that maybe it does not sell like the most but it is profitable enough to sell consoles and make its lineup more powerful. This is what Nintendo is doing.

They have no reason to make a "big budget JRPG"

KH moves the most units on PS.
FF moves the most units on PS.
Persona as of right now moves the most units on PS and the only units on PS.
Yakuza moves the most units on PS.

They have a logical reason why you don't see THEM PERSONALLY make a "big budget JRPG". They already have the install base, the biggest titles in the genre already come to PS and move the most on PS. It would be like asking why they don't make a lot of FPS titles ignoring how much units of Call Of Duty and Battlefield move on PS. They are about filling in their lineups of content they are not getting a lot of.

THAT is what NINTENDO IS DOING, why didn't you think of that to make a more valid comparison? So Nintendo does that because they are also not getting a new FF day and date, they are not getting a new KH or Yakuza or Persona etc, thus they need to fill in that gap by their own studios......

The JRPG for Nintendo is the genre they are lacking, It is a genre they need based on not getting the majority of them, thus need to attract consumers with their own studios.

Sony clearly doesn't, thus they have little reason to spend on a "big budget jrpg". They already get the majority

Now Sony's japanese market would be just the big multiplatform games

smh.

I'm not sure why you assumed Sony just had 1 studio in Japan......

Last edited:

Going through the development process and lead to new technology and game design idea discoveries that can be used elsewhere and turned into eventual hits.

Yeah I was speaking purely for the business behind it.
As a gamer I wish everyone in this industry funded experimental/niche games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is the problem with corporate ownership. They giveth and they taketh away according to whatever strategic goals are in place.

Its why I dislike consolidation, regardless of who's doing it.

Ueda was a contractor. And team ico was japan studios. Same as team gravity daze or whatever they used to call. What on on about?

Not gonna reply anymore to you because I've already said what I have to say. But to end our conversation now once and for all. he was a contractor yes, but him and his studio was one of the things that basically drew gamers to japan studios. they had alot of games under their belt, but non weren't quite unique as ico and Shadow of the Colossus. When team ico dissolved, that's when japan studios just began do collaborations and co development on other studios titles. only few games they've recently put out with some if not well much received recognition is bloodborne, astro playroom, Demon’s souls remake. and they didn't even do the large bulk of development on those games. When team ico left, it left a huge void. I don't count gravity rush because that's team sirens baby and they primarily developed that with some assistance from japan studios.

Top Bottom